How cheap can you be?

bgcruiser1431

At my wife's company's holiday party last Friday, I was talking with one of her coworkers about cruising. She told me that the way she saves money on soft drinks was to reuse the card from her prior cruise(s). I bit my lip and changed topics. But is this really possible? I wonder how common this may be. Just looking for comments.

As Cruistich mentioned, the cards on Celebrity all have the date of

the cruise on them, so you could not use over again.

As for saving money on softdrinks? Cruiselines don't care if you bring

your own soda....she can just bring her own.

As Cruistich mentioned, the cards on Celebrity all have the date of

the cruise on them, so you could not use over again.

As for saving money on softdrinks? Cruiselines don't care if you bring

your own soda....she can just bring her own.

Is that true on Celebrity? It apparently isn't on RCI.

Roy

Is that true on Celebrity? It apparently isn't on RCI.

Roy

Hi Roy, I never bring any beverages with me but from everything

I have read on here and sailing with Celebrity for a quite a few years

I have always heard non-alcoholic have always been ok to bring with

you. Water, Soda, (I know folks who don't like the cruiseship coffee/tea)

and they bring their own stuff too. Never heard of any of these being

confiscated.

I can't answer about Royal.

At my wife's company's holiday party last Friday, I was talking with one of her coworkers about cruising. She told me that the way she saves money on soft drinks was to reuse the card from her prior cruise(s). I bit my lip and changed topics. But is this really possible? I wonder how common this may be. Just looking for comments.

No.

Celebrity servers ring up the drinks in their system using your unique sea pass/room key for the cruise. They do this for drinks covered by the package too even though there is no charge for them as they get tips allocated to them based on what they enter into the system. If it isn't registered in the computer that you have the unlimited package they you'll have some explaining to do.

Perhaps the co-worker was talking about using one of the punch cards, good for a certain number of drinks, that are available on some cruise lines. If you have unused drinks on one of those cards I could imagine using them on a future cruise. I have never used one so don't know whether those cards expire or not. Not stealing or being cheap, just being thrifty. Of course, I would probably put my partially used card somewhere "safe" and have no idea where to find it before my next cruise!

Hmmm I see someone who's on the Naughty List --

Seriously, it's fraud, it's theft, it's certainly something that shouldn't be recommended on Cruise Critic.

Think about it, someone does it, gets caught, and says "Gee, I read on Cruise Critic that you could do this...." Bad, bad, bad for all of us.

Reminds me of a story my wife told me. She went shopping at the mall with a friend. Before they got to the mall they stopped at McDonalds for lunch. When they finished shopping(hours later)they stopped in the Mcdonalds (seperated from the mall)her friend got out of the car with her cup in hand. When she came out she had a full cup of soda. Ironic thing is this lady is very wealthy. Is that cheap or what?

I don't know if it's cheap or not but it's certainly a questionable dietary choice ;)

Reminds me of a story my wife told me. She went shopping at the mall with a friend. Before they got to the mall they stopped at McDonalds for lunch. When they finished shopping(hours later)they stopped in the Mcdonalds (seperated from the mall)her friend got out of the car with her cup in hand. When she came out she had a full cup of soda. Ironic thing is this lady is very wealthy. Is that cheap or what?

Maybe she just has her own McDonald's cup from her last visit?

The question is, did she pay to re-fill the cup, or did she just walk in with her cup in hand, go over to the machine and fill it without paying.

Right now there are two threads about stealing on Cruise Critic -- one involves intellectual property, the other involves stealing drinks. Sad.

I saw the same thing happen a month ago at our local Chick Fil-A. My husband and I were seated by the window. See this guy pull up in his BMW, got out of the car, came in with his cup and got a refill, and left with his drink and nothing else. At Chick Fila-A, you can't just get your own drink, you have to ask the servers behind the counter. Couldn't believe it.

Dont't try to be cheap on a cruise. Sounds like an oxymoron.

People will try to take advantage of many things and then brag about them!? People sell cruise affinity coupon books (Captain's Club for example) on Ebay and guess what, people buy them too. Never understood how people have no issues with something like this and then in the next breathe would be upset if someone were trying to take advantage of their company's policy/programs.

We are also cheap, but we just drink water and juice while on board ship.

Just buy 1 soda package for your cruise and be a little discreet when ordering for the other person. It not as good as reusing an old card but still saves a few bucks. It's obvious that at the price they charge there counting on some folks to do some sharing. ;)

This is stealing. Please don't do it, and please don't encourage others to do it, either.

It's amazing to me what people will do to save a buck, or put a dollar amount on what is or isn't stealing.

I once fired someone for stealing stamps from the office. They had quite a lot to say about how cheap the boss is about a few cents, etc. I told them 'I' made the decision because someone who would steal stamps, would steal something more valuable. And I firmly believe that's true.

Archived