What happens if theres a big snow storm?

phill635

What does RCL do if there's a big snow storm in the northeast which closes roads and a good amount of guest can't make it to the port?

I'm booked for 1/27 out of jersey and wasn't sure.

The ship leaves without you. This is why you should buy insurance. Make sure snowstorms are included in the insurance. If you have booked your airfare thru the cruise company, they may pay to get you to the next port. We live in North Dakota and always fly in the day before simply because we live in blizzard country. If you do get stuck in a storm be (polite but) agressive with the airlines to get you on a flight that will get you there in time.

The ship leaves without you. This is why you should buy insurance. Make sure snowstorms are included in the insurance. If you have booked your airfare thru the cruise company, they may pay to get you to the next port. We live in North Dakota and always fly in the day before simply because we live in blizzard country. If you do get stuck in a storm be (polite but) agressive with the airlines to get you on a flight that will get you there in time.

That pretty much sums it up.

We live in NJ and are cruising on the Exp. in March. I will be keeping an eye on the weather before the cruise. If their is any chance of snow we will book a hotel accordingly ahead of time close to the dock. We only live an hour away, but why take a chance. We got some pretty nasty snow last year.;)

We're going on Enchantment in March and we only live a hour from the port. At this point we plan to drive in the day of, but if the forecast is iffy, we plan to get a hotel room (or stay with my sister about 20 minutes from the port). Fortunately, by 10 March, our odds of getting a snowstorm that will close things down (especially the highways) is pretty slim. While we might get snow, we probably won't get much. And, with the way this winter is going, we probably won't get anything.

We cruised out our of NYC in March 2010 and the weather was pretty good.

And, as the winter of 09-10 proved, they will sail without people. There were a couple of huge snowstorms in the NE that winter and at least one ship sailed missing several hundred people. Some of who flew and met up with the ship a few days later. Another excellent reason to have a passport.

What the OP is talking about is sailing out of Bayonne. Last year the port was closed by snow the day before we arrived. Question is, what would have happened if it happened the day we were scheduled to arrive. Not only do new passengers have to get on the ship, the old passengers have to get off. If everything is shut down, what happens then.

BTW, we are on the same cruise this year as OP.

Edited by mo&fran

What the OP is talking about is sailing out of Bayonne. Last year the port was closed by snow the day before we arrived. Question is, what would have happened if it happened the day we were scheduled to arrive. Not only do new passengers have to get on the ship, the old passengers have to get off. If everything is shut down, what happens then.

BTW, we are on the same cruise this year as OP.

If the port is closed, no ship is coming in so no one is getting on or off. If that is the case, you get a hotel, if there are any, or you stay home until you know the ship is coming in and then drive to the port.

i read in some similar situation under different cruise line section. Some posted that they had cancel themselves out because it was too difficult. Some people posted they made it to the ship but ship left so late which caused a miss port of call. Like other said buy insurance with it.

I am sure you heard news media said this phrase all the time"if your traveling today in this weather check with your carrier before you leave" well it should be the same only the word cruise ship.

We live on the weat coast of Florida and go to FL the night before. Better safe than sorry.

You never know when a blizzard might shutdown Alligator Alley.:D:D:D Sorry, just having a little fun with you.;)

It isn’t always snow –

Years ago we were on an August sailing from Port Canaveral, a hurricane was heading from the Gulf – across central Florida and the Sovereign was ORDERED to leave port 3 hours EARLY. About 500 missed the ship! I believe Orlando airport closed at noon, so many who planned to travel in that day were out of luck.

Good Luck –

M

We were on one cruise (out of Florida) that was set to sail when a massive blizzard hit the northeast. We're from Nebr., flew in a day early, as always, and were fine.

Many hundreds of people did not make the ship--which did wait longer than normal, but only an hour or so.

We had people and their luggage joining us on various islands along the route up until at least Wed. of the week long cruise.

The ship will sail, the time it gets back to port or leaves could just vary, especially if the port is officially closed by the city/state.

While not a snow storm, my parents did a Boston to Bermuda cruise a few summers ago. At the same time the ship was suppose to leave, we were getting hit with a hurricane. They ended up sitting in Boston harbor overnight until the worst of the hurricane had passed. I can't remember if the port was officially closed, or if NCL just choose to wait it out.

Sure, they had less time in Bermuda, but my parents felt better knowing they weren't stuck out to sea during a hurricane. I don't believe they knew the ship wasn't going to leave that night until after they had boarded.

RCCL is pretty good about updating their website when weather could impact a cruise so if the forecast is calling for a snowstorm (which I don't see happening this winter, but you never know!) check the website to see if there is any information. If not, assume you can head to the port and check in. I'd give myself extra time is the weather looks iffy but the ship will sail.

I understand if the guest can't make the ship due to bad weather thats there problem really, I'm talking about the Governor declaring a state of emergency an all roads are closed.I would think they delay the ship 1 day an maybe skip one of the ports scheduled.

my cruise leaves at 8:30 pm so I fly in that morning. YOu take your chances either way. I book my flights about 3 months in advance. So, when the time comes, I watch the weather. If a storm is predicted I change my flight to a day or two early. BY the same token if you schedule your flight 2 days early and it is going to storm you still need to change your flight. I have been fortunate as I have never had to rebook al flight and I usually go mid February. This way I don't need to take extra vacation days.

I understand if the guest can't make the ship due to bad weather thats there problem really, I'm talking about the Governor declaring a state of emergency an all roads are closed.I would think they delay the ship 1 day an maybe skip one of the ports scheduled.

Seems like you're not hearing what you want to hear & getting worried about your upcoming cruise. Weather related problems can arise anytime & anywhere.

Cruising out of New Jersey in January may not have been a good choice for you.

my cruise leaves at 8:30 pm so I fly in that morning. YOu take your chances either way. I book my flights about 3 months in advance. So, when the time comes, I watch the weather. If a storm is predicted I change my flight to a day or two early. BY the same token if you schedule your flight 2 days early and it is going to storm you still need to change your flight. I have been fortunate as I have never had to rebook al flight and I usually go mid February. This way I don't need to take extra vacation days.

Having to catch a plane could be an issue and if i was flying i would fly in a day or two early but my concern is the roads being closed since i live local.

This is why you should buy insurance.

Not to open a can of worms, but opting to buy travel insurance certainly isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. I travel numerous times a year, some for business, but mostly for pleasure. I NEVER buy insurance. Statistically, the likelihood of missing out on a trip and losing the cost is relatively low. Insurance runs anywhere from 5-15% of the cost of the trip. If I buy that for eight trips, I have spent as much money as one entire trip. I certainly haven't encountered disruptions 15% of the time!

If there is a bad snow storm it may change things up a bit. We have doent he Exp. out of NJ a couple of times. The first time we did it was in December of '09. Lucky us followed a blizzard up the East Coast (which made the water the last 2 days absolutely brutal). When we finally reached Bayonne, we were delayed almost 2 hours in getting into the port due to ice and getting off the ship was delayed even longer due to having to plow everything (the parking lots, the entrance and driveway, the transportation area from the main building to the ship, etc.). They were considering having us on the ship wait out at sea for an extra day. The port was an absolute madhouse between the cars waiting to pick up guests and the cars waiting to drop off guests. It took our transportation almost three hours to get from the entrance of the port to where they needed to pick us up. My aunt and uncle, however, who drove themselves and did express check-out were home before we even got off the ship. We did hear later on that the ship was delayed in leaving the port by a couple of hours. I am sure this is the most extream of cases (afterall, it was all caused by a blizzard).

We did the same cruise durring the same week the following year and had zero issues.

Seems like you're not hearing what you want to hear & getting worried about your upcoming cruise. Weather related problems can arise anytime & anywhere.

Cruising out of New Jersey in January may not have been a good choice for you.

I'm not worried at all i have 4 wheel drive and will have no problem getting there if the roads are open.I was curious what happens if the roads are closed an not 1 guest can make it to the ship if they delay the ship.Some are saying to get a hotel the night before but if the roads are closed there not going anywhere either.

I'm not worried at all i have 4 wheel drive and will have no problem getting there if the roads are open.I was curious what happens if the roads are closed an not 1 guest can make it to the ship if they delay the ship.Some are saying to get a hotel the night before but if the roads are closed there not going anywhere either.

New Jersey declared a state of emergency last year due to a big storm and the Explorer sailed as scheduled. People got to the ship and people got off the ship. When does a state of emergency actually close the roads? Last time I remember roads actually being "closed", was blizzard of 78.

New Jersey declared a state of emergency last year due to a big storm and the Explorer sailed as scheduled. People got to the ship and people got off the ship. When does a state of emergency actually close the roads? Last time I remember roads actually being "closed", was blizzard of 78.

The storm 12/26 last year we had up to 3 feet of snow in NJ and the roads were closed to vehicles except emergency vehicles for a day and a half.