Elation safety briefing today

WeatherGeek

I am glad to hear they are still not requiring you to bring your life vests. On every cruise I have been on that required them, passengers would not wrap the straps after the drill as they returned them to their room. I have seen them trip other passengers multiple times.

As a previous poster said, it doesn't matter if you are in a lounge or your actual muster station. If you are directed to the lounge, you will be led to your lifeboat if and when an abandon ship order is given. What is really the point of standing around on deck exposed to the elements if all you are going to do is stand and wait? At least in a lounge there is seating for those who are in a panic or those with mobility issues.

I would also think that standing around on deck and waiting would increase the anxiety of the passengers. Everyone would be asking "What are we waiting for? When do we get into the lifeboats?" and then of course there would be the pushing and shoving to be the first in line.

Did a B2B a few years ago on Imagination. It seems they change it up. On the first leg we just went to the muster station (main lounge for us) but the second leg we went to the lounge then were led up to the lifeboat deck.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Those ARE the muster stations. When there is an emergency that is where you go. If it is an abandon ship situation, they will direct you to the proper area. If it is a standby and wait situation like the fire several years ago, you wait there until you get the all clear.
I stand corrected.

We visited our actual muster stations on deck after meeting in our designated lounge - I know some folks were wondering about changes to the safety briefing. We definitely didn't do this last time I sailed this ship in June. No life jackets required though.

Interesting!!! We were on the ship for a B2B in July/August and visited both times with ours.

The last two trips on the Conquest we went to the muster station, those were both in 2011.

Our Ecstasy trips from Galveston had us muster at the lido buffet area in the shade.

RCCL checked us on a clipboard at the station by cabin number, Carnival only checked to see if we were out of the cabin.

Here's my solution: At the end of the muster drill have a good supply of Carnival staff with hand held scanners to swipe or read everyone's card as they leave. That would validate if we attended the entire drill.

Miss the drill? your card is inactive for alcohol or any other purchase until you go to an alternate drill at a specific time. Miss the drill and 24 hours have passed? Lock you out of your cabin.

What ya think?

I'm glad that this is seeming to change on Carnival, we noticed that on RCI it was much more organized in the sense of the Muster Drill, and attendance. I think everyone should have to visit their spot on the deck where they would go incase of an actual emergency.

It depends on the class of ship. On Fantasy Class ships (which the Elation is), the Muster Stations are along the Promenade Deck (except for one by the Lido Pool). This is where you go when the General Alarm sounds. The Lifeboat Embarkation Stations are located on the top deck of the ship. I've only sailed on one Fantasy class (and I was too young to remember the drill on the Holiday) and we met at the Muster Station and then were led up to the Lifeboat Embarkation Station.

I have been on 3 fantasy class ships where we met in the lounge and did not go to our life boats. It's good to know they are going back to doing this again.

Last year on the Dream they told us not to take our life jackets to the lounge for a safety briefing.

After the briefing we grabbed a drink in our cabin and took a short walk to our muster station, noting paintings and other things along the way.

We are not paranoid people, but do want to know what to do in case of any emegency.

Ok in a time of Panic , don't you think there are probably a number of people who throw caution and logic to the wind? Possibly thinking I'm going to the first station I see , because I'M getting off first. Unfortunatly it seems to have become that way in life. ( Me first attitude)

With the ship listing to one side I'm pretty sure some people thought going to that side would be unsafe , and it may have been.

In an emergency, is it not fair to believe that ALL HELL won't break out?

It was a very tragic thing to happen and something that was more than likely AVOIDABLE had it not been for a BAD DECISION!

And yes the news agencies are going to exploit and run most tragdies into the ground.

I have another question about muster stations and lifeboats. The Costa ship was listed to one side. I'm thinking, and I KNOW I could be wrong, that if because of this, the lifeboats on the side of the ship that was in or close to the water weren't accessible. If so, what difference would it have made? Those people who's muster stations were on that side of the ship couldn't have gotten off that way. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

We visited our actual muster stations on deck after meeting in our designated lounge - I know some folks were wondering about changes to the safety briefing. We definitely didn't do this last time I sailed this ship in June. No life jackets required though.

We did the same on the Ecstasy in December 2010.

Anyone know how the drill is handled on the Triumph? Just want to know what to expect..

Conquest and Spirit we met met by the lifeboats..Ecstasy on the lido deck. Cant remember even going to the lifeboats?

I haven't been on the Triumph, but the layout is like the Destiny and very similar to the Conquest. Your Muster Station will be on Deck 4, which is also where the Lifeboat Embarkation is.

We've been led to our actual muster stations on the Elation, the Imagination and the Dream. Only the Legend were we dismissed from the theatre after the demonstration and not actually led to our muster station. On big difference I have noticed over the years is the Royal Caribbean has always taken attendance and makes sure every one reports to muster whereas Carnival does not, maybe that will change?

We did this on our cruise departing Jan 9th. No life jackets were needed.

We have always done this on the Elation-will cruise on her again in May and wonder if they will make more changes?

I have another question about muster stations and lifeboats. The Costa ship was listed to one side. I'm thinking, and I KNOW I could be wrong, that if because of this, the lifeboats on the side of the ship that was in or close to the water weren't accessible. If so, what difference would it have made? Those people who's muster stations were on that side of the ship couldn't have gotten off that way. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

You are correct. That's where the leadership of the crew comes in...or should. I know that I would have headed in the direction of my muster station. I would like to think that crew would be along the route telling me to go somewhere differently if my lifeboat was not accessible. Or at least making repeated announcements etc.

We all like to think we would behave rationally in an emergency.

Sadly, there were several layers of procedures that seem to have been breached during Concordia's incident.

I have cruised on the Elation, Paradise, Spirit and Splendor. We have always gone to our Muster Stations during the safety drill. I would be worried if we didn't. I usually get a bit upset though because people around me don't pay attention and I can't always hear what is being said. Maybe they will pay attention now.

Archived