Passenger overboard from Allure??

philamike

That photo is NOT the norm on this ship. This is a charter with a HUGE party crowd and they were going where the party was. Having sailed the Oasis class ships six times now, I can tell that they have more space than the Freedom class ships.

Do you really think this is what the area typically looks like? I would not write off a cruise on Oasis/Allure based on that picture.

I'm so glad you guys said it...I was going to pop off, but took moms advice to cool off before writing it, but I'm tired of folks on this board using any excuse to dis the Oasis class ships when they've never sailed them:rolleyes:.

Wow! What is an Atlantis charter sailing? Please tell me the ship I am going to be on will not be packed like this. That's insane!

Best,

Skippy

Don't worry Skippy, I haven't seen anything quite like this scene anywhere in the world, much less on a cruise ship...frankly I'm shocked its allowed from a safety point of view. In another venue, the fire safety personel would not allow this kind of over capacity.

Having sailed Oasis, I can tell you one of the joys of the ship is it is designed to spread people around beautifully. This kind of scene is what these folks were looking for when they signed up, but the ship is nothing like this when it's not chartered.

Do you really think this is what the area typically looks like? I would not write off a cruise on Oasis/Allure based on that picture.

i know its not typical, but i dont really want to deal with that many people on the ship period. will i eventually go on one of them, probably, but its not at the top of my list by any means. too much like a true city/hotel on sea than a cruise ship. too many parts of it seem as if you would forget your at sea. People i know that have gotten off the ship have even said the exact same thing. everyone looks for something different in a cruise and apparently there are people that love the allure/oasis. I just dont think its for me, but who knows, might change my mind after i go on it.

I just wish the news would quit using the word "fell". People don't just fall off of ships. They either jump, or are doing something stupid such as standing on their railing, trying to climb between cabins, which never ends well. They really should use the term "went overboard" or something like that. Saying "fell off or overboard", reinforces the idea that you can be walking along, trip and just fall off. My mother refuses to cruise and she always tells me to be careful and to not fall overboard. I've explained to her countless times that the railing hits me almost under my armpits, so not really a possibility. ;)

I could not have stated it better......not the cruise line's fault...

That photo is NOT the norm on this ship. This is a charter with a HUGE party crowd and they were going where the party was. Having sailed the Oasis class ships six times now, I can tell that they have more space than the Freedom class ships.

Absolutely agree:)....and tomorrow will make 8X on Oasis class for me:D

I just wish the news would quit using the word "fell". People don't just fall off of ships. They either jump, or are doing something stupid such as standing on their railing, trying to climb between cabins, which never ends well. They really should use the term "went overboard" or something like that. Saying "fell off or overboard", reinforces the idea that you can be walking along, trip and just fall off. My mother refuses to cruise and she always tells me to be careful and to not fall overboard. I've explained to her countless times that the railing hits me almost under my armpits, so not really a possibility. ;)

Then there are the lucky ones who trip and fall into a lifeboat!!!:D

Kathy

i know its not typical, but i dont really want to deal with that many people on the ship period. will i eventually go on one of them, probably, but its not at the top of my list by any means. too much like a true city/hotel on sea than a cruise ship. too many parts of it seem as if you would forget your at sea. People i know that have gotten off the ship have even said the exact same thing. everyone looks for something different in a cruise and apparently there are people that love the allure/oasis. I just dont think its for me, but who knows, might change my mind after i go on it.

That picture is the "norm" for an Atlantis cruise, not for an "Allure" cruise. There have been other threads with pictures of an Atlantis-chartered cruise and every ship looks like that. Every passenger (mostly men) congregates at the same place at the same time to party.

Below is about the most crowded we saw Allure on the two weeks we were onboard. It was the first formal night:

2833999030027101998S425x425Q85.jpg

RCI has done a wonderful job of spacing out the ship so that it never seems that crowded. It was only crowded when/where every other ship is crowded -- after a show in the main theater, during parades on the Royal Promenade, etc. We loved it! But if you don't like cruising a big ship, you won't like it no matter what. You'll certainly do your share of walking!!

A thirty-year-old man should know better than to stand on a table (and they're dining height tables, too) and go over the rail. If he was found, hope he's all right.

According to this report, he was caught on camera stepping onto a table then jumping overboard

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4738

Possibly a suicide (attempt? Don't know his condition) but it breaks my heart that there are people depressed enough to do this. :(

I can't imagine being in that mind set...

Or not.

Don't assume. I think people 'fall' when they are drunk. They jump when they have issues that are bigger than being drunk.

Ok i get that people commit suicide everyday and who am i to judge them because i have no idea what they are going through. And since i can not understand their reasoning for wanting to end their lives, i simply can not even start to comprehend why on earth if you are going to kill yourself do you wait to go on a cruise and do it there? I mean geez! I just dont get it and probably never will.

It is a travel company that caters to gays, lesbians and friends. It's main clientele are gay men.

speaking of the person saying they were going to puke. i think they just meant so many people.

ive been to plenty of gay events and clubs in the past and i have never seen every person so chiseled, tanned, and beautiful like that. it really does look staged.

if it seems too good to be true, it probably is... way too much eye candy.

from a straight girl who thought she was looking at a mirage, lol

I'm so glad you guys said it...I was going to pop off, but took moms advice to cool off before writing it, but I'm tired of folks on this board using any excuse to dis the Oasis class ships when they've never sailed them:rolleyes:.

Don't worry Skippy, I haven't seen anything quite like this scene anywhere in the world, much less on a cruise ship...frankly I'm shocked its allowed from a safety point of view. In another venue, the fire safety personel would not allow this kind of over capacity.

Having sailed Oasis, I can tell you one of the joys of the ship is it is designed to spread people around beautifully. This kind of scene is what these folks were looking for when they signed up, but the ship is nothing like this when it's not chartered.

Many years ago, I heard an RCI executive say, "We would love to figure out a way to make regular cruising as fun as gay cruising!" My reply? It will never happen. I mean c'mon...they board with a different costume for every night they are onboard. I have always wanted to book a gay cruise for the fun of it. I hear they are fabulous! The crews love them too.

ive been to plenty of gay events and clubs in the past and i have never seen every person so chiseled, tanned, and beautiful like that. it really does look staged.

if it seems too good to be true, it probably is... way too much eye candy.

from a straight girl who thought she was looking at a mirage, lol

LOL. I see what you mean. My last few cruises have been filled with overweight European men in Speedos :eek: Not exactly the group you want in close quarters for a photo op :D

Many years ago, I heard an RCI executive say, "We would love to figure out a way to make regular cruising as fun as gay cruising!" My reply? It will never happen. I mean c'mon...they board with a different costume for every night they are onboard. I have always wanted to book a gay cruise for the fun of it. I hear they are fabulous! The crews love them too.

hmmm, that does sound like fun. Too bad I'm straight :cool::p

I was on board the two weeks before this charter and I wouldn't say the crew "loved" the idea. There were lots of extra restrictions on crew activity for this week.

i watched this cruise leave fort lauderdale a few days ago on the cruise cam..

as the ship went by i couldn't believe how many people were on deck for the sailaway...

i'm one of those weird people who likes to watch sailaways on the webcam, so i've seen a lot of ships go by, but i've NEVER seen so many people on deck for a sailway.....

and then i noticed they were all men and all incredibly good looking and built...

i mean, really really really good looking....

ok...so call it stereotyping, but i immediately googled "allure gay cruise" and up popped the atlantis site....

i never knew there were all gay charters....all i could say was "wow!!"....

you had to see that deck for the sailaway....looked like they were already having a FANTASTIC time!!!!!!! :)

Photo was staged so Atlantis could use it on their website as a promo.

Photo was NOT staged...it was the "Dog Tag Tea Dance" - there were that many people there - I was down there and also viewed it from my balcony which was a Broadway Balcony on deck 11, 7 cabins aft of the missing passenger's.

By the way, he did not jump from his balcony - he went aft to the open deck at the end of deck 11. Both the deck and his cabin have been sealed

Captain came on the PA Friday evening saying the search by the Mexican authorities had been called off.

Apologies if this has been reported before but internet access on the Allure is worse than on the QM2 in the middle of a North Atlantic crossing. Do not have the time to page through this whole thread at $0.30 a minute, which is the cheapest rate you can get by buying $150.00 of time.

Archived