What is your Ideal Cruise luggage?

karelet

Hi,

I've read various luggage posts, but am still interested in yopur opinions of ideal cruise luggage: size (22", 25", 28"), #of pieces, type (hard, 2/4 wheeled, duffel), etc.

We are taking our first Transatlantic, and we'd like to be able to take the max for 14 days, yet still meet Aer Lingus baggage requirements. I like wheeled garmet bags because of need for tux, sport coat, etc. Do I really need that?

If, not I was thinking a 25" (checked), 22" (carry on), and a small duffel for kindle, food, personal items. Would appreciate your experienced thoughts.

We use only a 22" carry-on and a small pack each so that we do not check any luggage and it makes it easy to pack around. Of course we do laundry at least once a week but we can be gone for months.

You asked!

A good set of wheeled, not black, with straps that you can attach them to each other with. Soft sided. No garment bags with the hook/hanger sticking out.

I got mine at Marshall's(TJ Maxx derivative). They are Tommy Hilfiger, navy, with a red and white stripe down the center. Very easy to spot. They take a real banging, I've had them for six years, and the wheels look like roller blade wheels. I have two huge, two moderate, and one carry on. I tend to overpack. They stick inside one another and go right under the bed. With the strap thingies I can roll three of them at once- at least 150 pounds- no problem. They stand up straight. I am tall so I wanted the telescoping handles to be high, which they are.

Garment bags are so expensive and I can't see how my clothes would arrive any less wrinkled. I know the cruise lines don't like the hooks sticking out.

I have foreign students from Asia every year and they arrive with gigantic bags with teeny, rickety wheels. Don't get those!

My bags were not expensive at all.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

A 24" wheeled bag each, with a small duffel bungeed onto them. We also each bring a small day/backpack for ports & plane, those are stored inside the duffels when walking with suitcases. My duffel also has hidden backpack straps which are pretty comfortable. We could pretty much travel indefinitely with these sizes.

Between 4 of us, we travel with 3-24" stand-up style rolling suitcases, 1-22" rolling carry on and two back packs. I prefer the stand-up style because it is easier on our shoulders. This arrangement will last us 10 days before we need to do laundry and includes formal clothes with shoes, jewelery etc. All 3 24" suitcases fit easily under one NCL bed, along with the rolling carry on, in a way that you can access each suitcase without having to pull them all out. This is important to me, as we try and pack laundry into the suitcases as we go, and I hate having to puzzle suitcases around half way through the cruise.

As for garment bags, I hate them. DS1 and I went from Ottawa to Calgary for a gala (he was 6 at the time) and we used one, but never again. It was too much of a pain and his suit looked just as nice on the cruise after travelling in the hard suitcase.

I prefer the hard-sided suitcases, having travelled with the soft sided ones for years I find the hard-sided ones stand up better to the airline abuse. Ours are Heys in silver, which normally stand out well unless travelling with people who shop at the same Costco as we do :)

Has anyone used the hard sided ones? I am seeing them everywhere lately (TJMax, Marshalls) for good prices with crazy patterns (to spot them), for good prices. I almost bought one today and the lady looking at the luggage with me said it looks like it would crack if they throw it.

The are more lightweight then the traditional luggage of their same size and the wheels are great.

Any feedback?

A very large rolling duffle with several compartments. Will hold enough for a 7 day cruise. And once unpacked it stores very easily in the cabin!

Karen

Hi Karen,

I just got a new rolling duffle that matches my Golf Travel Bag. I bought it because it is one of few "Made in the USA" -- super quality and very tough, with a kick plate. Club Glove is the brand most golf pros use when traveling; they do make a complete line of luggage as well. I think their factory is in So California. Comes in over a dozen colors.

We use one rolling garment bag and one rolling duffle. In addition, we each have a small rolling personal bag that goes in the over-head of the airplane.

Here is the website for Club Glove:

http://www.clubglove.com/

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I'll preface my comments by writing that I sell luggage part time, so my opinion will be different from many others.

We take a large rolling garment bag (Tumi) that most people look at and immediately think it will be far too heavy. I pack it full and I've never had it weigh 50 lbs. our clothing stays wrinkle free and everything is on hangers already, easy to unpack and repack. It has worked well for us on a number of cruises and shows no wear at all.

We also pack a smaller 24 inch case, a rolling carry on and my tote.

I could never do carry on only, my makeup, toiletries, jewelry and hair stuff could take up the whole carry on! I don't take too many clothes, we both re-wear some things, I don't care for our things to be packed so tight they are a wadded up mess when we unpack. We also don't fold dirty clothes and stuff into the suitcase for the way home, it's all repacked the same as when we left home.

I've seen the damage to suitcases and prefer a well made case to protect the contents. Yes the airlines (conveyor belts) can damage any suitcase, a well made case is worth repair. I've seen cases that have been run over by trucks/forklifts and the contents didn't suffer.

I think a suitcase should last years and through dozens of trips. A lesser quality case can be ready for the trash in just a few trips.

We carry two 26" wheeled soft sides and two 22" wheeled softside carryons and a backpack for two adults cruising. If it's a longer trip, the 26" luggage is closer to 50 lbs each, but for a week, they don't weigh as much. I bundle wrap both large pieces and place some of my DH's things and some of mine in each bag.. www.onebag.com I also have several outfits each and all my shoes, makeup and jewelry in my carryon. DH has camera equipment, laptop, etc. with him. If we were missing luggage, we could get by for several days without having to do laundry. I feel that we could downsize, but we have a Delta card, and don't have to pay extra for luggage on the flights.

Remember if you check you bag in with the ship to be delivered to your room and put it out the night before the cruise ends to have it carried off, it will be stacked with dozens of other suitcases.

Thus a soft-sided bag such as a rolling duffle gives your things very little protection.

The more we travel, the less we take along.

I use Red Oxx bags made in Montana USA for my carry on and camera bags and check an EBags Mother Lode 25" wheeled bag for clothing and things I can live without if I have to. So far so good.

I love our main 2 suitcases! They're green, so automatically easier to spot. They roll, have duffel straps (although not like a typical duffle, much more structured), you can unzip the back and there are backpack straps to carry the luggage, and the inside is pretty cool. There's a wet bag section with it's own zipper or it can be smashed out of the way to not take interior room. There are two compartments, or you can have it one large compartment. When it's laying with the handle mechanism on the floor, you can open the very top and access the top 1/2 of it if it's divided, or if it isn't divided you can acess the entire suitcase. There's a zipper in the middle 1/2 to open the bottom section if you have the divider in place. super versatile. We have a 24" suitcase and a 21" suitcase. Together we paid about $180-200 at TJMaxx but each bag retailed for more than that.

On our upcoming cruise, we'll be taking the train and because of that will be bringing a large blanket to share. We'll have the 24" bag and 21" bag as well as 1-2 small carry-ons. He'll probably take a small backpack and I might bring a small tote bag. These will hold everything to include our wine and soda we'll be carrying on, as well as the blanket and my small pillow.

I've traveled to visit family twice in the last year. Last time was for a month and I did carry on only, in the winter! Time before was 2 months and I checked 1 bag, but that's because I brought my sewing machine and supplies with me. It would have been carry on only if I didn't bring those. I'm too cheap to pay for baggage. I don't go without either. I'll have two outfits for every day of the cruise as well as a few extra tops if I change my mind.

I have a 30" wheeled duffel and a 22" carry on which will have my iPad, camera bag, meds & laptop as well as a couple changes of clothes - just in case.:). The big duffel goes under the bed & is used as a dirty laundry bag during the cruise. I'll probably use the self-laundry once during my 10 - 14 day cruises.

What do you think about a rolling trunk for a suitcase? I almost bought my daugther one for her summer camp and have still been thinking of buying her one. The one I was looking at is on campbound.com. I would buy a larger size one with the double trays with the wheels. Is this good for a cruise as well... it may justify my purchase and may buy her brothers one too.

Does cruise lines have restrictions on luggage size? We are on the carnival sensation.

What do you think about a rolling trunk for a suitcase? I almost bought my daugther one for her summer camp and have still been thinking of buying her one. The one I was looking at is on campbound.com. I would buy a larger size one with the double trays with the wheels. Is this good for a cruise as well... it may justify my purchase and may buy her brothers one too.

Does cruise lines have restrictions on luggage size? We are on the carnival sensation.

Driving or flying to your cruise?

A rolling trunk will only work if driving.

Where would you store it? Where would you store it? Probably to tall to fit under the bed and have to be stored upright in the closet.

Archived