Bed by balcony. Vs bed by bath

sammie1900

Your opion: given the choice, on the Eclipse or any other ship that offered a choice--- would you prefer your BED by the balcony or your SOFA by the balcony? Going to book a cruise on the Eclipse and we have the option of either way. Pros & cons would be helpful. Been on many cruises, never an option. Also, from the pix it looks like the closet is on the bathroom wall. If you have cruised on Eclipse, is this how it is-so the bed or desk is next to the closet--or am I just not seeing the whole pix? Thank you

To me it really is a non-issue. I guess I would *slightly* prefer the bed near the balcony as I spend more time in bed than the couch, so would utilize the view more - but honestly to me it is such a minor issue I would not take it into consideration when booking. For others though it is important.

Having been on eclipse twice in the same cabin, with the bed near the bath - we found it often difficult to get into the wardrobe - the space was quite limited with 2 weeks worth of clothes in there.

We've gone for bed by balcony for the summer to give this a go

Bed by bath does however leave lots of room in front of the balcony doors to wander in and out

Hard choice

I thought that the bed by the balcony would be better, & to me it makes the room feel larger BUT, being a man of a certain age, most nights require a trip to the bathroom, & since "my side" is the one nearest the balcony door, I found it a little clumsy feeling my way in the dark to the bathroom, whereas having the bed near the bath would be a tad easier. Just a thought!!

Having said that, our next cruise has the bed near the balcony again.:eek:

I prefer the bed by the bath, that way you have easy access to the balcony. Also find it less "cluttered". If the bed is near the balcony, you almost fall over the table/sofa on the way into the cabin. Plus this is usually where we dump our bags when we get back so prefer to have them out of the way to the bathroom/cupboard.

We prefer bed near the bath. Having the bed by the balcony does sound like a lovely idea, but in reality we felt it made the room seem smaller because your view out to sea is obstructed to some extent by the bed and there is limited floor space close to the balcony. Both cabins are fine, but given a choice would go for the bed near the bath.

Another vote for bed near the bathroom. In fact, we just switched cabins because the one we had was going to have the bed near the balcony and we don't like it that way.

I like to be able to sit on the sofa and look out at the water during the day. Sitting on the bed isn't as comfortable for me. Also, when putting on makeup for dinner, I like seeing the water and the lighting is better.

Bed by bathroom for us.

BTW, having bed near the bathroom was a non-issue for us to get to the closet. I'm not sure why people are saying they have a problem. It wasn't at all for us.

Jo-Ann

To me it really is a non-issue.....
We feel the same. Having had cabins both ways with no problem either way, that would not be the deciding factor for us in choosing a cabin.

The difference might impact the movement of someone with a physical disability, but for an able-bodied person it is a difference of walking only a few steps in either direction.

If the OP has a preference for the closer view of the water from the bed or from the sofa, that could be a consideration.

Bed by the balcony. There seems to be more room that way when 2 ppl are getting dressed for the day or ready for formal night. You don't have to keep walking around the bed to get to the closet and bathroom. But that would be way down on my list of important things to consider when selecting a room.

Bed by the bath for me! I like sitting at the dressing table, looking out at the sea...just like jerseygirl3 said! I really hope our bed is by the bath...how can I find out? We will be in 9334. I have been trying to find out about the room config for quite some time, but the sticky, compiled by librairylady doesn't have the info. Anyone know how I can find out??

Had it both ways and much preferred bed by the bath...and it was a 12 night cruise. Cabin seemed larger, easier to get to bathroom, just worked better for us....but is not that important either way...just if we have a choice we'll pick by the bath....but as long as there IS a bed is all that matters!!!:D:D:D

Bed by the bath for me! I like sitting at the dressing table, looking out at the sea...just like jerseygirl3 said! I really hope our bed is by the bath...how can I find out? We will be in 9334. I have been trying to find out about the room config for quite some time, but the sticky, compiled by librairylady doesn't have the info. Anyone know how I can find out??

Well, you got it. The way to find out is to find a room with a little square in the deck plans. That means the stateroom has a fold out sofa bed. All fold out sofa beds are by the balcony, thus, the bed is by the bath.

The staterooms alternate between bed by the balcony/bath/balcony/bath, etc. Stateroom 9318 on that deck has such a square, thus bed by the bath, so you count back every other stateroom, then 9334 will have the same configuration, but no square (no fold out sofa bed, but bed by the bath).

You can also check a corresponding stateroom on another deck as all the bed configurations on he Starboard side are the same on each deck -- sorta like mirror images. Conversely, the Port side is just the opposite. If a corresponding stateroom on the starboard side has the bed by the bath, that same stateroom on the port side will have the bed by the balcony.

An example - AQ stateroom 1610 on the starboard side has the bed by the bath. On the port side, the corresponding stateroom, 1605, has the bed by the balcony.

Thank you wineo for your detailed explanation! Sounds like I will be happy with the room arrangement. Hi Cathycruises--I don't suppose you will be on our 2/18 sailing, will you? We are really looking forward to cruising again!

Many have implied here that they know in advance or can control where the bed is ! We are first time cruisers and I already want the bed near the bath vs near the patio. How can you find out in advance where the bed is and can you get it changed ? Thanks in advance :)

Hey yourself!! No, we are doing the 4/21 TA from Miami to Southampton, but we're getting off in Le Havre and doing some exploring in Normandy and Brittany--I'm very excited! Where are you guys heading? How's your winter been?

(OP: Sorry for the hijack! ;))

Well, you got it. The way to find out is to find a room with a little square in the deck plans. That means the stateroom has a fold out sofa bed. All fold out sofa beds are by the balcony, thus, the bed is by the bath.

The staterooms alternate between bed by the balcony/bath/balcony/bath, etc. Stateroom 9318 on that deck has such a square, thus bed by the bath, so you count back every other stateroom, then 9334 will have the same configuration, but no square (no fold out sofa bed, but bed by the bath).

Thanks for this tidbit! Just looked and found out that I have a bed by the balcony! Perfect, just what I wanted! Not that it would have made my cruise any less spectacular ;)

Bed by the balcony. There seems to be more room that way when 2 ppl are getting dressed for the day or ready for formal night. You don't have to keep walking around the bed to get to the closet and bathroom. But that would be way down on my list of important things to consider when selecting a room.

We thought the same thing first time on an S class ship and it seemed to help. Also helped that we banished the table to the balcony. Trying the bed by the bath next time--will see if it makes a big difference.

Many have implied here that they know in advance or can control where the bed is ! We are first time cruisers and I already want the bed near the bath vs near the patio. How can you find out in advance where the bed is and can you get it changed ? Thanks in advance :)

See the excellent answer above as to how you can find out where the bed is.

And, no, it can't be changed, so pick a cabin with the configuration you want.

Bed by bath. I like the "business end" of the cabin on one end, and the leisure end on the other. I like for the sitting area to flow into balconcy. It makes the room feel larger to me - and more elegant.

I inadvertently booked a balcony bed and had no trouble changing cabins. Clarification: changed cabins a few days after booking NOT on board.

ps - I banish the little coffee table to end of couch. Its totally in the way.

Archived