Would this be appropriate on an Alaska cruise?

CarolinaMamma

We are going to Alaska this August. I have read the temps can range from 30 to 80 and one should wear layers, and that a fleece and rain shell are great for being on deck near the glaciers or in port on cold mornings. I'm posting this now to get advice in time to buy any needed winter items before they are totally gone from stores.

Don't worry, I am not asking about dress code. We have read it and will comply. Dh and the boys will wear their tuxes on formal nights. My daughter and I will wear long dresses. this question is more about fashion and comfort, and I am positing here rather than on the fashion boards because I am not really interested in knowing what people wear on Carnival.

So, do people just wear their winter clothes, or do they wear summery-colored versions of winter-weight clothes, or summer clothes with jackets/sweaters over them? To illustrate my point, would the following be seen frequently on.a Celebrity Alaska cruise? Would any of them look totally out of place?

Ugg boots?

Shoes of "wintery" material, such as suede?

Sandals?

Capri pants?

Shorts? (NOT in MDR, of course!)

Winter sweaters?

Sleeveless summer dresses in MDR on smart casual nights? (with a cardigan, maybe?)

Long-sleeved dresses/tops in MDR on smart casual nights?

I come from the South, where people wear much lighter/brighter clothes in the summer months, so am having trouble getting my head around this winter clothes in summer idea. Thanks for your help!

You definitely need to be prepared for rain. Yes, layering is great. Sorry I can't comment on August, but we were there in mid to late Sept and we got amazing weather. I did see a lot of jeans......very practical for the ports and hiking along trails etc. I would suggest a pair of gloves too for the day you're at the glacier. It is cold there even if the sun is shining and you really want to avoid missing any of it because you are too cold to stay outside.

We are going to Alaska this August. I have read the temps can range from 30 to 80 and one should wear layers, and that a fleece and rain shell are great for being on deck near the glaciers or in port on cold mornings. I'm posting this now to get advice in time to buy any needed winter items before they are totally gone from stores.

Don't worry, I am not asking about dress code. We have read it and will comply. Dh and the boys will wear their tuxes on formal nights. My daughter and I will wear long dresses. this question is more about fashion and comfort, and I am positing here rather than on the fashion boards because I am not really interested in knowing what people wear on Carnival.

So, do people just wear their winter clothes, or do they wear summery-colored versions of winter-weight clothes, or summer clothes with jackets/sweaters over them? To illustrate my point, would the following be seen frequently on.a Celebrity Alaska cruise? Would any of them look totally out of place?

Ugg boots?

Sandals?

Capri pants?

Winter sweaters?

Sleeveless summer dresses in MDR on smart casual nights? (with a cardigan, maybe?)

I come from the South, where people wear much lighter/brighter clothes in the summer months, so am having trouble getting my head around this winter clothes in summer idea. Thanks for your help!

If you're from the south, I'm guessing you do not have a lot of winter clothes. I would not rush out to acquire them. It could be quite warm.

Ugg boots would be great for the day you're at Hubbard Glacier, but do you you really want to drag them along for just one day? Do you even own any? If not, much better use of your money would be to purchase some good hiking boots or walking shoes.

The first time I cruised to Alaska in September I took along 3 suitcases with lots of sweaters. Only day I wore a sweater was the day we were at Hubbard Glacier. I wished for some short sleeved shirts!

The second time I cruised to Alaska in May and didn't take any sweaters and was just fine. It was sunny and warm the whole time.

In August there will probably be more rain. You will definitely want some good (waterproof) rain gear. For your day at Hubbard, you'll be happier if you have hats and gloves, but if you get really cold, you can always go in and warm up.

The secret is layers. Generally a shirt or light sweater, then a fleece jacket, then a waterproof jacket (even better if you have rain pants as well) will probably get you through anything.

You might want to take one pair of capris in case it's really warm. And a couple of short sleeve shirts. I doubt that sandals would be really useful unless they're hiking/walking sandals. I wouldn't worry about what your shoes are made of, just that they're comfortable. And in case it rains a lot, you'll want to have two pairs of walking shoes so one pair can dry out. Nice looking long pants and shirts will be fine for dinner on non-formal nights. Or if you want to bring dresses, those will be fine as well.

Have a great cruise! Alaska is gorgeous!

We have done two Alaska cruises on Celebrity -- yes, Alaskan also enjoy Alaska cruises!

The issue of appropriate clothing and footwear is frequently discussed on the Alaska board. It often strikes me when I read the questions about layering that some people have the impression that they are going to experience -40F in Juneau in the summer. You wonder if they have read way too much Jack London at a highly impressionable age!

Compared to other Celebrity cruises, on the two Alaska cruises it seemed to me that people dressed more casually than you generally see on Celebrity.

Southeast Alaska is generally referred to in Alaska as "rain country." May is generally the driest month for southeast, and in August you should be prepared for rain. While you should also expect a great range in temperatures, the Interior is where we expect to hit 80s and 90s in the summer.

In SE Alaska you will definitely need a breathable waterproof (not water-resistant) outer layer and waterproof footwear. Under the waterproof outer layer people wear fleece and sweatshirts over a long- or short-sleeve shirt. The morning may be rainy, cloudy and cool, but by noon you may need to take off some of the layers. A fleece vest is handy. And you will need a hat and gloves.

To answer your specific questions, one young woman was wearing Ugg boots on one of the Alaska cruises, and people were speculating as to why she was wearing them. Her feet must have been so hot.

Suede shoes are seen, as are lightweight hiking boots on excursions and other athletic type shoes. You do need one pair of waterproof footwear.

Sandals would not be suitable in the SE Alaska rain. People certainly wear sandals in the evening on the ship.

I don't remember seeing capri pants either of the SE Alaska cruises, although you definitely see them on warm weather Celebrity cruises. I suspect many women don't take capri pants to Alaska because they are convinced they need long pants.

I would take a pair of shorts, particularly if you are headed into the Interior. You may not need them, but they take so little space in a suitcase.

A few people bring wool sweaters, but you really don't need one. Fleece outerwear in a heavier weight, or the lighter weight fleece sweater is perfect.

I always find that the MDRs are a little on the cool side. Our last cruise was through French Polynesia and our next will be through the Panama Canal, and I will definitely be taking a linen cardigan to wear over sleeveless dresses in the MDR.

A number of the gift shops in the ports will have fleece jackets and hats, so if you find you need something a little heavier than what you packed it will be easy to find something suitable.

Last year on the Alaska board someone was just convinced that she was going to have to buy all sorts of super heavy clothing for her Alaska cruise -- items that she would never need again. Other posters were trying to convince her that she most likely had all that she needed in her closet. All she had to do was layer.

I see it says North Carolina on your post....winter's can get cold

up that way;) thought you might have warm clothing.

I agree with the layering system.....I have always packed that way

for Alaska:)

Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful, as we are trying to deal with airline weight restrictions, so I don't wand to pack a bunch of stuff we don't need.

I should clarify, I have three kids, who will be 6, 8 and 12. By August, they may have outgrown this year's winter clothes, so just trying to figure out if I need to buy some for NEXT winter ahead of time so that they will have it in August.

I live in UGG boots and Dansko clogs in winter here, and our winters are probably similar in temperature to Alaska summers, although not nearly as rainy. they are not waterproof, so if I did take them, it would just be for wearing around the ship, but if that would look weird, I will save the suitcase real estate for something else. Shoes take up so much room, it's important to pack the right ones!

I guess I need to get some waterproof shoes for the whole family. And maybe pants, too. A friend said without waterproof pants, you won't be able to sit down on any benches if you need a little rest. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks again for the help!

I took capris and cotton tops with over blouses ( short sleeves)

I took sandals for night

I took suede shoes ( sketchers) for ports

I took a heavy wool sweater

NOW I will say all of the above was a BIG mistake.

My feet froze in the sandals. My feet got wet in the sketchers. I needed long pants. Wool sweater was too heavy and it got too hot or it got too wet.

It gets windy and I could have used a rain/wind jacket. I needed socks and walking shoes without slippery bottoms. I could have used a sleeveless vest. I would have loved a sweat suit. ( yes I do have a nice one). A sweatshirt that zips with hood.

We also noticed as we had 13 nights on the ship( last trip of the season) the dress was less formal. LOTS of flannel shirts in the dining room. Also it was port intensive, so we did not stay out late and it was a quieter cruise.

I'm from FL and did the Alaska cruise twice. I took:

2 pairs of jeans, one pair of Capri’s, one thin cashmere sweater (that I could stuff in a back pack when I got hot), 3 short sleeve shirts, 3 long sleeve shirts. I took a fleece jacket, vest, fleece hat and gloves, and a rain coat that was long enough that I could sit on it.. When out and about we took a back pack. that way we could peel off the layers as it warmed up, and then put them back on when it got cool again. I brought a set of insulated underwear that I could put under the jeans if it got really cold. A pair of good walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots,... I waterproofed both of them several times before we left. One pair of sneakers, and a pair of dress sandals for evening.

I wore the above clothes both when on and off the ship during the day. Even if it got up to the high 60s low 70's, I was ok in the jeans and short sleeved shirt.

For the evenings, I brought one long skirt with 2 dressy tops for formal nights and one pair of black pants and 3 nice tops for the rest of the nights. I wore a couple of them twice with different jewelry and shawls.

add my bathing suit for the hot tubs...some warm PJ's...we had a balcony.... and I was good to go! the rest of the room was for my binoculars, camera, SUN GLASSES etc.

We are from south Florida and this will be our fourth trip to Alaska. y now I have figured what to take. I will bring just jeans with seven long aleeve shirts that are not real heavy. Three of those will be mock turtle neck from LL bean. Then I will bring the three innone jacket that is waterproof with a zip out liner made of fleece. That way I can use it three ways. Very handy. I love LL Bean. Then one pair if shorts foe the shop, one pair of black pants with four different blouses to wear to the main dining room. Dress black shoes, sneakers sandals foe the boat and that will be it. Of course I will being underware and socks and probably one dress for formal night.

Happy sailing.

Ugg boots?

Sandals?

Capri pants?

Winter sweaters?

I wore the normal dressy stuff at night in the bars and restaurants that I would wear in the Carribean....

HOWEVER, dressing for Alaska is a mixed bag. Trust me when I tell you I did not have the appropriate WATERPROOF shell or a heavy enough jacket. I was there in September and the temps were in the 40's and pouring at some point.......I did have the apppropriate hiking boots and the underlayers...but fleeces and spring style jackets were not enough. A true fall type of jacket that is waterproof and lined is necessary even in August....because you just never know........

Oh and gloves are the most needed thing. And to me fleece and a jacket is nowhere near enough if you are cruising the glacier on a cloudy rainy day. It was seriously like standing in a walk in fridge..........

We have done most cruiselines & all the different summer months. The first time I was a total idiot & brought a heavy jacket, earmuffs, mittens,etc.

Never used any of it.

One of my favorite pictures is of me & the hubby having lunch on the deck with the glaciers in the background. We had sweaters on. The weather has always been fantastic on our cruises. We are going this May on the same Infinity cruise we did last May. We only had 1 day of rain then & it was on a sea day.

Because it does rain a lot during the summer, you will find that almost all the stores sell those thin plastic ponchos for a dollar. They are great because it really is not very cold & you can get several & just throw them away when you are through because they are wet & messy.

When it does rain it usually does not last a long time & is not very heavy.

Clothes do tend to be for comfort. Jeans & sweatshirts.

There were very few tuxes at dinner although people were dressed nice.

I think this is becoming more of a trend in the cruise industry.

We cruise several times a year.

Last year we were on Azamara. They had NO formal nights...just smart casual.

We also took a Royal Caribbean cruise were instead of advertising there usual 'formal night'.....they said 'suggested' dress to be formal. Again, I would say the majority of people were dressed 'smart casual'.

I have been debating giving my two cents worth, as most responders said you won't need cold weather clothing. However, when DH and I did an AK cruise last June, we did take down jackets, wool sweaters, long sleeve shirts, hiking boots, and long socks. And we wore all of those (at the same time) every day, all day, on the ship, and ashore. I don't think I saw anyone in shorts. Temps were probably 40's-50's. And we only used our balcony once; upper decks were much nicer for sun and scenery.

We did start looking up weather forecasts for as many AK destinations as we could find, and that helped us decide what to take. If you can do that before you go, it could be useful before you make your final decisions.

One other thing: At least on our ship (Sea Princess), people did dress up as much in the evening (tuxes, cocktail dresses) and they would on a Caribbean cruise.

We're only been there a couple of times during mod August & had a few showers in different ports but the temps were great. They usually have their first frost around the third week in Aug in Fairbanks but the daytime temps are 60 to 70 degrees. I hear the rain picks up during Sept. and the temps drop off somewhat but it wouldn't deter me since it's always wet in Alaska.

What about 1st part of September, still rainy?:confused:

Yep! Pack for rain... it probably won't rain all day. We all wore rain jackets with hoods and jeans or wool pants.. a small umbrella can be handy and warm gloves..

That being said, several of our Alaska cruises have been in May.. we prefer the crisp blue skies and lack of rain... but it is colder at that time of year. Polar fleece doesn't weigh much but offers great warmth..

If you look on the Weatherunderground or similar site, you can see temps in past years for the exact dates you plan to travel. It's not bullet proof, but should give you a good indication of what to expect.

Sometimes picking up a bit of Alaskan clothing can be useful for you and a souvenier for a family member when you return home..

Ugg boots?

Sandals?

Capri pants?

Winter sweaters?

We cruised Alaska late August & into Sept on the land cruise tour. My tops tend to be bright, but not pastel, but my skirts or pants tend to black to make it easier to pack shoes.

For shoes on shore, on board at the glacier, and on the land tour I had water proof Clarks that were as comfortable as athletic shoes, my DH had more of a boot, hiking boot. On board I wore dressy closed toe flats or dress heals, DH had loafers. Took flip flops for in the room and for going to the indoor pool or hot tub. No sandals.

We were in Vancouver 3 days pre cruise and it was warm. I wore carpi's in Vancouver and was glad I had packed them. I don't think I wore them once we sailed. We did not take shorts.

We both took light weight sweaters, not winter weight. My DH took long sleeve shirts for smart casual nights. I tend to be warm so I had short sleeves, or sleeveless with a light weight sweater if needed and a 3/4 sleeve dress.

We wore jeans on excursions and on the land tour.

We both had a water repellent jacket with hood. My DH's has a removable liner, mine is just a wind breaker. I bought a fleece to wear under it for $10 at the 1st port in Alaska. We also took gloves and ear warmers which we used at Hubbard Glacier.

We live in the north so except for the Clark's and windbreaker we did not buy anything special for the cruise.

Mary Lou

Archived