Is Carnival really adding the fuel surcharge?

rgfeldman

I just booked a carnival cruise (1st time) and was informed that Carnival has the right to apply a surcharge for each guest if oil is above 70 dollars a barrel (I think this is what they quoted me). This seems very likely at our time of cruising. Just wondering how often Carnival really applies this charge. For our family of four, this would add an extra $250. Thanks for any imput.

I've never had them add it in 12 cruises, nor have I ever heard of them adding it to anyone I know that cruises with Carnival... But like they say... there's a first time for everything...

The language is there to warn you that they have the right to add it if they so choose.

That being said they havent charged the fuel surcharge for several years, and oil has been above 70 dollars for several years as well.

I just booked a carnival cruise (1st time) and was informed that Carnival has the right to apply a surcharge for each guest if oil is above 70 dollars a barrel (I think this is what they quoted me). This seems very likely at our time of cruising. Just wondering how often Carnival really applies this charge. For our family of four, this would add an extra $250. Thanks for any imput.

Carnival has only ever applied this surcharge during one brief period of time a few months I believe and I think it was back in 2009. The price of oil has been way over $70 a barrel most of the time since then.

I'm not too concerned about it, since the price of oil is coming down and has peaked for 2012, but it is something that could happen and is just part of the cost of cruising.

I'm not positive that the full $70 is charged against the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin.

I would suspect we are already paying for increased fuel costs by way of increased cruise fares, and have been for awhile. As far as a separate surcharge, doubt that happens.

I've never had them add it in 12 cruises, nor have I ever heard of them adding it to anyone I know that cruises with Carnival... But like they say... there's a first time for everything...

It was either in 2003 or 2005 that we were charged. I distinctly remember it because we already had our cruise paid for and they added it on afterwards. I think it was the 2005 cruise.

the answer is yes they can, and yes they have.

I would suspect we are already paying for increased fuel costs by way of increased cruise fares, and have been for awhile. As far as a separate surcharge, doubt that happens.

I suspect it's much simpler for Carnival to increase cruise fares than to add on a fuel surcharge. It probably draws fewer complaints from passengers, especially when someone qualifies for a price drop.

Actually prices for booking are down year over year, so I am not sure why people keep saying this.

Carnival also said last 4th qtr, fuel costs for them were up 30% year over year and last qtr they declared a loss. Cant raise prices probably due to Concordia especially.

This statement has no basis if you believe Carnival that year over year prices are down not up. (per their earnings report). They would raise prices if they could .. but too many problems to raise prices imo... so they are stuck.

I suspect it's much simpler for Carnival to increase cruise fares than to add on a fuel surcharge. It probably draws fewer complaints from passengers, especially when someone qualifies for a price drop.

If Carnival could raise prices .. they would. (with or without fuel being a issue)

Nothing simple about it.. supply and demand, and the demand is not strong enough to just say .. lets raise prices. Have you never noticed all the price drop threads on CC .. because the demand is not there and they had to drop prices to fill the ship.

The surcharge was included when we originally booked (mid/late 2008?), but then removed before we actually sailed in March 2009 with a *warning* that it could be reinstated. I noticed the *warning* when we came back to book again this year, but am happy to hear it's not actually making its way onto the bill. Let's hope it stays that way!

If Carnival could raise prices .. they would. (with or without fuel being a issue)

Nothing simple about it.. supply and demand, and the demand is not strong enough to just say .. lets raise prices. Have you never noticed all the price drop threads on CC .. because the demand is not there and they had to drop prices to fill the ship.

Well, the demand must have gone back up, because prices (at least on the cruises I've looked at) for next year are higher than this year, and I would bet a part of that is increased fuel costs.

Eggzactlee!

Well, the demand must have gone back up, because prices (at least on the cruises I've looked at) for next year are higher than this year, and I would bet a part of that is increased fuel costs.

Carnival is 10 cruiselines, not just Carnival itself .. and so when they say the prices are down year over year, it could be that its other higher priced lines that are down.

My prices are down .. I got one in late January the cheapest ever out of Galveston for 5 days .. so prices seem down to me. PS I got a unbelieable fare last minute on pack n go for $169 pp for Triumph. Very cheap

Im just going by what Carnival says.. and they report prices are down not up overall for their total corp.

For the record, last I heard the fuel surcharge WAS now added to Cunard, who is owned by Carnival.

Had to pay it once and as far as prices go the last one we took out of San Juan was the lowest we have ever paid for that route.

I agree--I think a big part of getting good deals is having the flexability to cruise when the price is right. People complain about higher prices.....if you're cruising in July, probably. October, not so much. This fall we booked and ES balcony on Liberty that ended up being $529pp after drops, and a porthole on Imagination for $149 for a 4 nighter. Pretty sure that was the lowest we've ever payed for 11 nights at sea, or at least damn close to it.....

Im just going by what Carnival says.. and they report prices are down not up overall for their total corp.

you do? why?

did you read mickey arisons statement about cruise prices? i didn't believe that one either.

you do? why?

did you read mickey arisons statement about cruise prices? i didn't believe that one either.

I'm not positive, but it seems you don't believe anything that is said

by Carnival, its management or John Heald.

Archived