The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

John, I still don't think it's fair, but in a world like the one we live in, fairness is just an illusion anyway isn't it. Life isn't fair. O yeah, I forgot for a minute.:rolleyes:

I still accuse them of only one thing, stupidity, but like Kathy always says...you can't fix stupid.

Anyways, this has certainly taught me a lesson...don't act stupid.

Funny, she excluded the faux hairspray can in her story to all of CC.

Regardless, it appears that each side is bending the truth a little. RCI states that the tabacco was confiscated and disposed of. The "report" states it was given back.

I'm confused, how did they breach the guest conduct policy. Even though they were sneaky and very suspicious about their tobacco, it was still something that is allowed to be brought on.

That could be a mistake on the part of whomever reported that. Working for a larger company its easy to see how that can happen, that is why so many companies only allow certain individuals to speak to the media. (Something RC will probably catch on to) Hence the news organizations favorite phrase these days, "a source who wishes to remain anonymous because they are not authorized to talk to the media."

But then again I'm just a cheerleader.

Is there a list, tutorial or video somewhere on the RCI website that shows how we're supposed to pack our legal belongings in order to avoid being denied boarding? Is there a list of preferred Cruise Critic behaviours so that I know whether or not to come here for an empathetic response should I be denied boarding?

I wasn't aware that my packing style and choice of legal items I packed was going to be grounds for denied boarding. Now I'm a bit concerned.

Can I roll my socks into balls? Or is that high risk? I usually bring a toiletry bag...that could be construed as me attempting a dummy run to smuggle back dangerous Caribbean razors! I sometimes bring large plastic bags to use as laundry bags. Will they think that's a high risk since you could smother someone with them and deny my boarding?

I have beedy eyes and sweat a lot.

I could be denied boarding.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

But, that is RCI standard operating procedure, common sense is not part of the equation.

Need to read all policies for any company you deal with then. RCCL, Carnival, American airlines, Holiday inn, etc...

Gee no one gets that but me:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a list, tutorial or video somewhere on the RCI website that shows how we're supposed to pack our legal belongings in order to avoid being denied boarding? Is there a list of preferred Cruise Critic behaviours so that I know whether or not to come here for an empathetic response should I be denied boarding?

I wasn't aware that my packing style and choice of legal items I packed was going to be grounds for denied boarding. Now I'm a bit concerned.

Can I roll my socks into balls? Or is that high risk? I usually bring a toiletry bag...that could be construed as me attempting a dummy run to smuggle back dangerous Caribbean razors! I sometimes bring large plastic bags to use as laundry bags. Will they think that's a high risk since you could smother someone with them and deny my boarding?

Sorry to jump in, but if I saw hidden jewellery in a false bottom can , I could understand it, its precious maybe sentimental and also expensive and you want to keep it safe, but why legal tobacco? if its legal he could have walked on with the stuff in his pocket

If people are packing expensive jewelry, it will be in their hand luggage, not in a can.

I still say they did nothing mentioned within the confines of the cruise contract that would keep them from sailing. Stupid and lame yes, but guilty, no.

This from the Guest Code of Conduct:

"This policy is not intended to be all inclusive, and it is likely there will be conduct issues that it does not specifically address. In that event, as in all others, guests are expected to follow the direction of the ship’s Captain who will take appropriate action to ensure the safety, security and well-being of our guests."

There's a general "inappropriate behaviour" clause and you can bet your mortgage they'll defend their actions under that. Can you imagine if CBP found some gear in their luggage on the way back in and RCI had to say, "oh, yes, we saw them test that concealment on the way out".... NB I'm not assuming that is what they had in mind, but it's a reasonable assessment on the facts as now presented.

IIRC the OP was adverse to flying... Hmmm wonder why? Try getting that though the airport security and see if you still are allowed to make your flight when it's discovered....

I investigate corporate and industrial fraud and this has every classic trademark sign of a trial run. In fact in my line of work, it would have allowed to been brought aboard and my team would have monitored every re-entry onto the ship from each port. 100% chance of an actual illicit smuggling attempt had this made it aboard.

Either way this scenario has no good outcome unfortunately.

According to the contract, people who smuggle alcohol are subject to discipline. That discipline should include refusal to board.

Alcohol

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a valid

government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age. No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation. Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

Exactly. After this episode-all alcohol smugglers better have a heads up!!!

There's a current thread with a picture of alcohol being smuggled! Wait until corporate gets a gander at those baggies!!!!:D

This makes me lmao, was it a "Dry Run Test"? With 99.99% certainty, YES! Was it stupid? 100% yes! I wonder if the fact that there have been several incidents involving the smuggling of very substancial amounts of cocaine aboard RCI's ships by their own employees and a passenger on a certain lifestyle cruise they had last year dealing a pharmacy's cornucopia of different drugs might have something to do with their stance concerning this situation and the decisions they make concerning even the appearance of drugs onboard a ship? If this couple had bothered to read the terms of passage in their ticket contract if they would have forgone the attempt to test security. They will spend multiple times the $3,000.00 they lost and still never win a single cent. All cruise lines reserve the "Right" to deny boarding at their sole discression or to remove you from their ships for a myriad of just causes. LIVE and LEARN, this was a costly lesson.

O.K. now with all this said (and I mean ALL) what do we do in regard to legal prescription drugs? As mentioned before, I do carry the big (I'm blind too) day labeled container instead of the 8 bottles with me, if I have the prescriptions. Do I have to stop that now? Don't see anything mentioned about it in the contract.

As the captain I would guess that he can deny boarding to anyone he feels would be a risk whether or not it is a violation of a policy or contract, much like a captain for an airline can.

But since there clearly were no violation's based on what has been reported they are due a refund but I would not expect anything more than that.

Wait-i have another senario. All those alcohol smugglers could be smuggling illegal moonshine so heck with the naughty room- they all should be denied boarding too!!!:eek:

Exactly. After this episode-all alcohol smugglers better have a heads up!!!

There's a current thread with a picture of alcohol being smuggled! Wait until corporate gets a gander at those baggies!!!!:D

Are you kidding, they see those on every cruise.

Because it's a free country And that's exactly what they did.

Now your throwing out cliches? Once they step on the ship, its not a country at all, its the land of Why not!

How interesting that in the OP's 60+ posts on the original thread she NEVER ONCE mentioned or alluded to the fact that the tobacco was in the false bottom of a fake hairspray can. Make me wonder what else she didn't mention, like perhaps her and/or her husband's demeanor, actions, and words during the entire process.

But even if they were perfectly calm and polite during the entire process, they have no case whatsoever against the cruise line. They did something incredibly stupid that violated the guest conduct policy and could certainly have been considered a "dry run". The captain had every right to deny them re-boarding. (And no, it's not remotely equivalent to hiding jewelry in such a can.)

Although it might have been entertaining to allow them to board and then monitor them very closely upon every return to the ship...

O.K. now with all this said (and I mean ALL) what do we do in regard to legal prescription drugs? As mentioned before, I do carry the big (I'm blind too) day labeled container instead of the 8 bottles with me, if I have the prescriptions. Do I have to stop that now? Don't see anything mentioned about it in the contract.

Probably, I would certainly stop if any of those were prescribed "happy pills" or anything similar.

I went on a cruise last month on RC. I take generic Adderall for ADD and brought my 90 supply bottle with me because I wanted to have something that showed it was prescribed to me.

Archived