Recent Cloud Voyage

torst

Nice pix Todd/Mp8shnt, Victoria/Emtbsam; concur dress codes need to be honored/followed. After almost 32 years following the US Army's dress code, often I made sure Soldiers did the same. Now on board, (as much as I'm tempted to say something--I do not--my wife would kick me if I did :)) if we note an egregious example (jeans, shorts, flip flops in the main dining room, Panorama lounge after 6pm) I will let the Hotel Director and the Mairtre D know. Simple saying we had in the Army if you passed a standard violation (e.g. dress code or uniform violation) and did not say anything or if appropriate make a correction--you just accepted that as the standard. This is why it is important, IMO if you note a dress code violation let one of the ship's officer's know (there could be a plausible explanation--lost luggage).

I do not own an evening gown, ....... Now it was a long flight to Singapore even in business class, and I did not see a tux as I think most people do not want to drag all that formal stuff along.

We live in Australia, so it is a LONG flight to anywhere, and a Silverseas cruise is part of a 6 week trip for us usually. Formal nights are part of a Silverseas experience I would not want to miss, so we schelp plenty of formal wear with us. You know what to expect - it is stated fully in all the SS literature, so dont whinge about it.

Merriem, it's great that you found out that SS is not for you! Hopefully, SS will continue the tradition that many people have grown to love and MOST PEOPLE who prefer to dress casually, at best, will find a line where "they don't have to drag all that formal stuff". How does that sound?

Another vote for the dress code! And I still see a majority of tuxes on formal nights on SS, including my own. And how else could I look into the mirror in the suite and say "Bond, James Bond".

Regarding champagne, we were told at the beginning of the recent Cloud cruise (21 days, Monaco to Monaco), that SS stopped opening a bottle in the suite upon embarkation because so much was wasted. If you want it, all you must do is ask. Makes sense to me. And afternoon hot and cold hors d'ouvres kept appearing each day unless we asked to have them held. So difficult dealing with those wonderful butlers. If standards have slipped, I haven't noticed in the 15 years we've been sailing with Silversea.

For us, the only "problem" on this Cloud cruise was that it was three seven day back to backs, rather than a longer cruise. So it was a very port-intensive cruise, had to create your own "sea days." And the shows and special nights repeated. And two-thirds of the passengers changed each week. (Which has it's good and bad points.)

But the entertainers were terrific. Such an improvement from the Jean Ann Ryan days. The crew was again wonderful. The officers, Capt Sangiacomo, HD Gianni Dotti, Chef Ramon De Bernard, CD's Jimmy Kovel and Judie Abbott, restaurant manager Antonio Mendes, etc., etc., were great, the best in the business. Sign us up for more! (oh, that's already been done.)

Another vote for the dress code! And I still see a majority of tuxes on formal nights on SS, including my own. And how else could I look into the mirror in the suite and say "Bond, James Bond".

Regarding champagne, we were told at the beginning of the recent Cloud cruise (21 days, Monaco to Monaco), that SS stopped opening a bottle in the suite upon embarkation because so much was wasted. If you want it, all you must do is ask. Makes sense to me. And afternoon hot and cold hors d'ouvres kept appearing each day unless we asked to have them held. So difficult dealing with those wonderful butlers. If standards have slipped, I haven't noticed in the 15 years we've been sailing with Silversea.

For us, the only "problem" on this Cloud cruise was that it was three seven day back to backs, rather than a longer cruise. So it was a very port-intensive cruise, had to create your own "sea days." And the shows and special nights repeated. And two-thirds of the passengers changed each week. (Which has it's good and bad points.)

But the entertainers were terrific. Such an improvement from the Jean Ann Ryan days. The crew was again wonderful. The officers, Capt Sangiacomo, HD Gianni Dotti, Chef Ramon De Bernard, CD's Jimmy Kovel and Judie Abbott, restaurant manager Antonio Mendes, etc., etc., were great, the best in the business. Sign us up for more! (oh, that's already been done.)

James (.....;)_) I missed your frequent posts while you were gone but so glad you had a wonderful cruise. You've captured the SS experience that I've known -- thanks!

Nice pix Todd/Mp8shnt, Victoria/Emtbsam; concur dress codes need to be honored/followed. After almost 32 years following the US Army's dress code, often I made sure Soldiers did the same. Now on board, (as much as I'm tempted to say something--I do not--my wife would kick me if I did :)) if we note an egregious example (jeans, shorts, flip flops in the main dining room, Panorama lounge after 6pm) I will let the Hotel Director and the Mairtre D know. Simple saying we had in the Army if you passed a standard violation (e.g. dress code or uniform violation) and did not say anything or if appropriate make a correction--you just accepted that as the standard. This is why it is important, IMO if you note a dress code violation let one of the ship's officer's know (there could be a plausible explanation--lost luggage).

Well-said and a good principle to abide by.

No excuses for not taking formal evening wear.My husband and I flew from Aberdeen via London to Hong Kong with evening wear which included his kilt,jacket,heavy shoes etc etc and of course my long dresses and we were within British Airways weight limits. It is such a pleasure to get dressed up on formal evenings. We moved to SS last year as the standards and dress code on Celebrity had gone downhill. I am pleased to say that on the Shadow last November everyone adhered to the dress code.

We were on cruises no. 2 and 3 on Silver Cloud in 1994. I remember that one evening in The Bar a gallant gentleman took off his jacket to cover his wife's shoulders. Not allowed. He was told to put his jacket back on or leave. But the change in attitude isn't really Silversea's fault. It's the new reality. Those of us who remember stories like this have become anachronisms. Let's just face the fact the the world has changed. When I first traveled aboard ocean liners 51 years ago I spoke to experienced travelers who thought that the standards of the 1960's were far below what they experienced in the 1930's. C'est la vie!

Count - so good to see you again. The last time we met was on board the Regent Mariner in the Chlilean Fjords in 2003.

Ah yes, I remember it well! I only saw your picture this morning before reading your post and said to myself "I know him!" We had a great time on that cruise. I recall that you got off in Ushuaia while we continued on to Rio. I hope all is well with you. Maybe one of these days we will cross paths somewhere in the world although we are off cruising for this year, preferring to take land-based trips. That's really quite a rarity for us since we usually do at least two cruises a year. But frankly, we have found that cruising has changed dramatically in the last ten years. We need to give it a break and contemplate what to do. For this year it will be traveling around Spain for a few weeks.

Didn't you have a different handle back in '03?

Count yes it was Ushuaia that I got off at. It was a special itinerary that Regent had carved out for my TA. Valparaiso to Ushuaia 6 nights.

I have always used mp8shnt on this and the other luxury cruise board.

I noted a picture of you one someone's 2010 Silversea trip photos. In a steamer lounge I believe.

Conte di Savoia,

Your experience on those first Silver Cloud cruises mirrors mine. You're also correct that times have changed drastically and with them dress codes. I would be willing to bet that within ten years people will be laughing at the fact that there ever was such a thing as formal nights on a cruise.

... I would be willing to bet that within ten years people will be laughing at the fact that there ever was such a thing as formal nights on a cruise.

wripro, you're probably right, but how sad... We love dressing up for a night out, and how convenient to be able to do so on a ship where you don't have to drive anywhere in your dress clothes, worry about stepping in mud or snow with your dress shoes, etc. Just dress up and step out of your door!

It's elegant and very enjoyable for us - even with the "inconvenience" of schlepping all of the stuff. It makes formal night a special occasion, and gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!

Speaking of which, one of us better remember to take his tux to the dry cleaners stat - plane flies in 2 weeks!

wripro, you're probably right, but how sad... We love dressing up for a night out, and how convenient to be able to do so on a ship where you don't have to drive anywhere in your dress clothes, worry about stepping in mud or snow with your dress shoes, etc. Just dress up and step out of your door!

It's elegant and very enjoyable for us - even with the "inconvenience" of schlepping all of the stuff. It makes formal night a special occasion, and gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!

Speaking of which, one of us better remember to take his tux to the dry cleaners stat - plane flies in 2 weeks!

We totally agree.

````````````````````

I live a pretty social life in California but not one that calls for really "dressing up" very often, so I really look forward to "Putting on the Ritz".......Wasn't there a song with that title....? of course there was, but probably before the time of those who are resisting all the little amenities that make cruising on SS such a pleasure for me. :p

"gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!"

Although my partner & I have chosen to not take our tuxes on cruises (and, indeed, prefer Regent's elegant casual dress code to SS's more formal one), here in the Seattle area there are plenty of charity events (our favorite is the humane society's "Tuxes & Tails" - the latter being the wagging sort) that offer the opportunity to wear black tie if one has the occasional hankering to do so.

"gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!"

Although my partner & I have chosen to not take our tuxes on cruises (and, indeed, prefer Regent's elegant casual dress code to SS's more formal one), here in the Seattle area there are plenty of charity events (our favorite is the humane society's "Tuxes & Tails" - the latter being the wagging sort) that offer the opportunity to wear black tie if one has the occasional hankering to do so.

Hey, we all have opportunities like that -- I live in the entertainment capital of the world -- but Tuxes & Tails means you're paying top dollar to (admirably) support your favorite charity wearing a tux. I'm talking about paying top dollar to support MY FAVORITE CHARITY ;) -- myself -- and get a bunch of other benefits in the deal.

Tho we sail both Regent and Silversea, our preference is Silversea's dress code..like our good cruise friend Wellseasoned/Dieter said in post #30 above, where else can you get your James Bond fix and as Dusababy/Mary Ann said very, very well immediately above.."it is elegant and very enjoyable" (to be in the company of so many other elegant dressed folks). Last Saturday nite, Ida and I just enjoyed the Furkids Tenth Anniversary gala here in Atlanta (supports the largest cage free shelter here in Georgia (80% cats)) Rick Dees was the DJ (anyone remember him?) ..we were in the minority (maybe 5% were in formal wear) but we loved it--and supported a great pet cause.

Merriem, it's great that you found out that SS is not for you! Hopefully, SS will continue the tradition that many people have grown to love and MOST PEOPLE who prefer to dress casually, at best, will find a line where "they don't have to drag all that formal stuff". How does that sound?

Well said Fizzy.

Archived