LIVE from the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 6/19/12 - Norwegian Fjords & Scandinavia

Pia1913

What a way to start a trip! I can imagine the stress. Best wishes for a fruitful and enjoyable journey. I'll be very curious on your input as to the Norwegian fjords, vs. Alaska, Chile and New Zealand fjords. I'm hoping you brought a decent jacket with you.

What a way to start a trip! I can imagine the stress. Best wishes for a fruitful and enjoyable journey. I'll be very curious on your input as to the Norwegian fjords, vs. Alaska, Chile and New Zealand fjords. I'm hoping you brought a decent jacket with you.

Yes, we'd like to know too! Bon Voyage!

It’s Wednesday June 20th and we’re at sea. Skies are sunny, high for the day is supposed to be 60ish and sun will not be setting until 10:30 PM. Last night it was still light at 9. Gym empty; love it. There are 20 treadmills, but only 14 are in operation prior to 8:00 AM.

Surprise, surprise, we did go to the Welcome Aboard show last night, only because there were two of them and the early one was at 8:15. Dan Styne, the CD, seems like a very personable guy. Deputy CD; will reserve judgment. His name is Colin. As usual singers and dancers do work hard and the featured entertainer was a comedian/magician/ventriloquist named David Copperfield. No, not THAT David Copperfield. I could have lived without his magic, and again will reserve judgment until the next performance.

On today’s agenda is the movie Casablanca on MUTS in the AM and a Barry Manilow concert on MUTS in the afternoon. An announcement was made last night that due to the cold weather in store for us, all MUTS entertainment will be simultaneously broadcast on channel 34. I like that. Other things to do today can be attendance at a fruit and veggie demo in the morning and a martini demo in the afternoon. Our M & G is scheduled for 11:00 in Skywalkers and our roll call had quite a lot of people. Let’s see how many show. There will also be a movie in the theater at 2:00; Albert Nobbs, wine tasting at 3:00 (not the one for Elite which will be next week) and the first meeting of the Princess Book Club. They will be discussing The Help. Our first port is Bergen (tomorrow) and there will be no Live presentation. On TV only. I wonder why they couldn’t have made time for the lecturer to do it.

Evening entertainment is Do You Wanna Dance (if you know me, you know we’re not going) and Crazy, Stupid, Love on MUTS. We’ve seen the movie, but may see it again in our cabin.

In response, we slept well, but I think they are the same mattresses. And to Dottie, US Air.

That’s about it for now. See you later.

We are looking to do the fjords next summer so this will be a great help in deciding if Princess is the line to choose for this one! Thanks for any upcoming info re ports, excursions etc.

Interested in how many nooks and crannies the ship will find. DH is looking at Hurtigruten for an up close view of all those, rather than the "big ship" experience. I'm trying to talk him into the more "luxurious" way of seeing the area.:o

I'm a big Princess fan but to be honest, my Norwegian fjords cruise on HAL's Prinsendam ranks as one of my top three cruises. Small ship that can sail under some of the bridges plus our itinerary included Longyearben, Spitzbergen and the Magdalena fjord. Oh, and we sailed way above the Artic Circle into the polar ice cap. I think the Ocean or Pacific Princess does a similar itinerary. The small ships aren't for everyone but if you're considering a small ship, I'd check these three out. :)

Thanks for the "Live From", Pia. Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

I think the Ocean or Pacific Princess does a similar itinerary. The small ships aren't for everyone but if you're considering a small ship, I'd check these three out. :).

Ocean Princess is doing the fjords at the moment. She has a great webcam and is sending back some great pics of the fjords and sounds.

Very interesting, Pia. When we were on the ship last month, you had to be at the gym by 6:45 to get a spot for the stretch class and every aisle and nook and cranny in Club Fusion was packed with people doing Zumba in front of the many monitors. We have never been on a cruise where there were always so many people working out.

We loved Colin and Dan both. They play off one another very well. Is Marvin stil on the Cruise Director's staff? He is great. While he can play the fool when it suits his purposes, he is a very hard-working guy. I was very impressed with him, as well as Andrew who was our tap dance instructor. We were both in the chorus line in the passenger/crew talent show. :)

I am a great sleeper and have never met a bed I didn't like, but DH is more picky and he loved the bed on the Caribbean.

Can't wait until we join you!

We are looking to do the fjords next summer so this will be a great help in deciding if Princess is the line to choose for this one! Thanks for any upcoming info re ports, excursions etc.

Interested in how many nooks and crannies the ship will find. DH is looking at Hurtigruten for an up close view of all those, rather than the "big ship" experience. I'm trying to talk him into the more "luxurious" way of seeing the area.:o

Think about joining us on the Ocean Princess next June... Only 680 passengers.

:rolleyes:

Just dropping by with some additional chatter. Our M & G this morning was quite successful with more than 90 showing up. Lots of folks wanted to know if I had ever gotten a cabin. I think they really expected to see me sleeping in Skywalker’s. ;)

No major officers came by, but the CD and his Deputy were present. Afterwards, six of us went to lunch in the dining room and we will be having dinner together (including four others) tonight. We weren’t going to do formal night at all, but received a letter today that says we are number one and they want us to take the photograph tonight, which will be published in Patter on the last day. Don’t know why they’re in a hurry, but we will comply. :) Number two has 126 days less than us, so it’s not even close.

I learned that there is in fact a Power Hour, though haven’t seen it advertised. This ship is doing it from 9 - 11 PM with the same $3.99 drink menu. I only know this, because one of the couples we lunched with were told about it on deck 5 and they enjoyed their Long Island Iced Tea last night.

Meanwhile, I spent the last hour or so screwing around with Mike’s glasses. Literally. This morning he missed an incline outside Horizon Ct., smacked his head against the wall, his glasses fell off and the lenses popped out. Not having glasses means not having eyes, so I got that teeny little screwdriver and tried to get them back in. The frame is bent a bit, but with the screw tightened and scotch tape it is holding and right now he is reading. Meanwhile, we will try to find an optical shop tomorrow in Bergen. Hey, gives us something different to do. :p

I mentioned previously that the port information on Bergen would be shown on TV channel 30, instead of a live recitation. Well, this guy is on now, reading the information. And gasping. Then reading again and gasping for breath. Awful. If they were going to just read information at least there should have been someone who could read with inflection. I wonder if this same person will be doing the next ports the same way. Will let you know. :mad:

Punki: yes, Marvin and Andrew both here. I know both from previous cruises.

Goodbye until tomorrow, unless something earth shattering needs to be told.

We weren’t going to do formal night at all, but received a letter today that says we are number one.

Congrats. 2nd time as #1, correct?

I learned that there is in fact a Power Hour, though haven’t seen it advertised. This ship is doing it from 9 - 11 PM with the same $3.99 drink menu.

So does that mean the drink of the day the the suite/elite/platinum hours is also $3.99 or is it the $5 that has been on some of the ships recently? 

see above in red

If you have not yet experienced Dan and Colin for trivia you are in for a treat. 1. Famous faces-Dan/Colin will hand out a sheet with various faces for your team to try and figure out while doing the standard trivia. FUN and we went to trivia more for that than the quiz. 2. When doing the answers wait for Dan to say "The answer is. . ." before getting excited. He has a wonderful way of giving what you think is the answer (or at least many folks will) and then saying "is wrong". The key; wait for him to say the answer is.

We felt that Dan was good a CD as we have seen on Princess.:D

I'm a big Princess fan but to be honest, my Norwegian fjords cruise on HAL's Prinsendam ranks as one of my top three cruises. Small ship that can sail under some of the bridges plus our itinerary included Longyearben, Spitzbergen and the Magdalena fjord. Oh, and we sailed way above the Artic Circle into the polar ice cap. I think the Ocean or Pacific Princess does a similar itinerary. The small ships aren't for everyone but if you're considering a small ship, I'd check these three out. :)

Thanks for the "Live From", Pia. Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

Thanks for this the info Pam. We are going to have to try to look into this for a future cruise.

Have a great cruise. We just got off yesterday - despite missing two ports, we had a great time. If you're in Crooners, please tell Andrew (bartender) that Donna & Marc from SC said hi! Also, if it's not too cold, say hi to Michael (another bartender!) at Blackbeards on the Lido deck. He and Andrew were together at Crooners, and they're the best! Unfortunately for Michael, it was his turn in the rotation to go to Blackbeards on your sailing.

Just dropping by with some additional chatter. Our M & G this morning was quite successful with more than 90 showing up. Lots of folks wanted to know if I had ever gotten a cabin. I think they really expected to see me sleeping in Skywalker’s. ;)

No major officers came by, but the CD and his Deputy were present. Afterwards, six of us went to lunch in the dining room and we will be having dinner together (including four others) tonight. We weren’t going to do formal night at all, but received a letter today that says we are number one and they want us to take the photograph tonight, which will be published in Patter on the last day. Don’t know why they’re in a hurry, but we will comply. :) Number two has 126 days less than us, so it’s not even close.

I learned that there is in fact a Power Hour, though haven’t seen it advertised. This ship is doing it from 9 - 11 PM with the same $3.99 drink menu. I only know this, because one of the couples we lunched with were told about it on deck 5 and they enjoyed their Long Island Iced Tea last night.

Meanwhile, I spent the last hour or so screwing around with Mike’s glasses. Literally. This morning he missed an incline outside Horizon Ct., smacked his head against the wall, his glasses fell off and the lenses popped out. Not having glasses means not having eyes, so I got that teeny little screwdriver and tried to get them back in. The frame is bent a bit, but with the screw tightened and scotch tape it is holding and right now he is reading. Meanwhile, we will try to find an optical shop tomorrow in Bergen. Hey, gives us something different to do. :p

I mentioned previously that the port information on Bergen would be shown on TV channel 30, instead of a live recitation. Well, this guy is on now, reading the information. And gasping. Then reading again and gasping for breath. Awful. If they were going to just read information at least there should have been someone who could read with inflection. I wonder if this same person will be doing the next ports the same way. Will let you know. :mad:

Punki: yes, Marvin and Andrew both here. I know both from previous cruises.

Goodbye until tomorrow, unless something earth shattering needs to be told.

Oh Pia! Poor Mike. Hope he gets his glasses fixed in Bergen. Really enjoying your Live feed. Look forward to meeting you on 3rd July. Carole

Thank you for taking the time to include us on your trip. I absolutely love live froms...it's the next best thing to being there. Let us know if you are able to get new glasses for Mike. I am always afraid something is going to happen to my glasses. Enjoy!

Archived