Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival??

MargieWY

Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Is Royal Caribbean REALLY better than Carnival?

• YES - Absolutely without a doubt
    • NO - It's just cheerleader propaganda. Carnival is better.
    • NEITHER - They are both basically the same.
    • It depends... (explain below)

The Royal boat is nicer, cleaner and feels more of a 1st class experience while walking around the ship. Carnival at one time had much better food but cutbacks have evend them out.

The class of people and the way they carry themselves is higher on RCL than Carnival.

We have been on Carnival 6x in last 12 years and RCL 4x and going on each this year.

Our kids like the Camp Carnival and have fun but they really like RCL and rate it higher

We usually book Carnival in August due to price and take our RCL cruisies in November as those prices are great and our kids have that week off from school every year

These are the Carnival boards .. how would someone really think a poll would come out if not Carnival on top on boards which discuss Carnival cruise lines?? lol.

Im betting on the RCL boards, RCL wins, on the Princess boards, Princess wins, NCL boards, NCL wins, Disney wins on the Disney boards .. and so on.

You have die hard Carnival cruisers on these boards who have never done RCL .. how do you really expect them to vote.

If Carnival doesnt win on the Carnival boards .. something is badly wrong here.

I didnt find RCL great at all. after hearing so many positive things about the ship and line I was extremly disappointed. how often on a cruise can you not find a desert that you wouldnt like...happend to me on rcl, at least i can always turn to the warm chocolate melting cake. I love being called by name on carnival, RCL was lady...walking down the hall "hi lady" come on, i introduced myself. shows were crappy and service was lousy. ship was beautiful but when i first entered i didnt have the "wow" factor that i do on carnival when i see the atrium for the first time

While it is your opinion, I disagree with everything posted here.

On both carnival and royal i was addressed as Mrs (first name). Never did anyone address me as hey lady. IMO shows were much. better on royal. Especially the Now you See it show. More dancers and singers on royal. We received great service on both. And royals ships outshine anything carnival has right now.

I post this because prior to you cruise with royal you made it clear you were going not because you wanted to but because someone else convinced you to. As such I believe you went into it expecting it to suck and Imo you don't give a balanced opinion on it. I tend not to believe people that can't find any positive to a vacation.

Just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Dream. Food was mediocre at best and at times just down right nasty. Some of that buffet slop I wouldn't even serve to my dog. LOL To say the least I was not impressed with the Dream, Carnival is digressing in ship design while RCCL is progressing.

If you think that fine dining is burgers, french fries, Little Caesars type pizza and greasy slop from the buffet line then Carnival is for you.

We've done 17 on RCI and just booked our 3rd on Carnival. They really operate under different philosophies. Carnival talks about being the fun ships so the shows and decor and attitude is a little more outlandish and, well, fun. Royal is more of a "mass with class" kind of thing. They have bigger ships with more program amenities.

We thought the food in the MDR was better on Carnival, but the Windjammer was MUCH better than Carnival. We had a great time on Carnival and consistently have a great time on Royal. They're different and sometimes we all like different from what we're used to.

If Carnival doesnt win on the Carnival boards .. something is badly wrong here.

Something must be wrong then. On the Royal board, 70% of people are currently saying that Royal is better, but on the Carnival board only 15% of people are saying that Carnival is better. The interesting thing is that on the Carnival board 35% of people think that Royal is better! :eek:

I don't know. But I will say this: Strictly based on pictures that I've seen of some of the cabins on some RCCL ships that I've seen, bad 70's hotel rooms came immediately to mind. Hence the reason we booked a cruise with Celebrity. My wife and I are looking to do a Panama cruise in the next couple of years, and Celebrity looked to offer the best in itinerary, cost, and overall look of the ship(s). IF Carnival still offered a Panama cruise beyond 2013, we'd have stuck with them.

I did the PC crossing (west to east) on Celebrity. This was in 2006. The cruise was pretty awesome as far as food service and entertainment. The only issue I had was absolutely NO diversity in age. Everyone was in their 70's and 80's.

I just took a 15 day CCL cruise and there was a much better an age mix. I have taken two 14+ day cruises on NCL and there is age diversity. On Celebrity, nope, nada, none. Not on a long sailing.

I'm really just a beginner cruiser here. I have only cruised carnival once and I have another Carnival (we stuck with what we know) cruise coming in Sept. I have wondered about RCCL.

Many of you have said it's a matter or preference but can you be more specific as to what makes you choose one line over the other? Or what you like about one over the other? I am thinking I'll probably agree with some of your points on what is important and better make the decision for myself.

Sometimes it's not obvious things that make one prefer one line over another, and everyone's experiences are so different. If I tell you I prefer a line because I think the crew are friendlier, or the entertainment is better, you could go on that same ship and have a totally different experience. The only way to know is to try it yourself. Have no fear in trying any line...they're all good and you may like 2, 3 or 4 of them and not even be able to choose a favorite....they offer cruises...if you're crazy about cruising, you really can't have a bad time.

My wife and I have been on 9 Carnival cruises in the last 30 years, and 1 on R.C. about 8 years ago. We liked the R.C. ship itself,very classy,food was good,shows were OK. When the cruise was almost over we just felt like something was missing,and summed it up as it was just was not for us. We felt it was just too laid back.

Is it worth $200 more? How about $600? How about a $1000 difference?

So far no matter how much I look a RCCL cruise is always more $ than CCL.

$1600 for a 7 day cruise on CCL whereas the same amount gets me a 5 day cruise on RCCL.

I would like to try RCCL and will keep looking but the cost seems better on CCL and the Camp Carnival allows 2 year olds which was a benefit. that will change in a few days as DD becomes 3 but still the cost is an issue.

Still want to try other lines.

My opinion is that the service is a step up with Royal. The tips aren't automatically added unless you specifically request. On Carnival, the tips are added automatically. So I feel like the servers don't feel the need to impress you as much. They know they are already getting the tip unless all of the passengers go down to guest services and ask for the tip to be removed. On Royal, you provide the tip specifically to those that serve you, so in my opinion they work a lot harder. I've experienced much better service on my Royal cruises than my Carnival cruises.

The prices are always more expensive though. For example, we booked a RCI cruise for next summer that is 200 more per person than the same exact cruise on Carnival. So basically it comes down to how much you are willing to pay.

Personal preference is that I like RCI better and if the price was cheaper, I would always use them. Carnival has also came up with some better itineraries from FLL and MIA. Royal is still doing the same old tired itins that most people have done. So lately, Carnival has been getting our business so that we can try new ports.

Something must be wrong then. On the Royal board, 70% of people are currently saying that Royal is better, but on the Carnival board only 15% of people are saying that Carnival is better. The interesting thing is that on the Carnival board 35% of people think that Royal is better! :eek:

No kidding. As of this posting twice as many people feel RCCL is "better" than CCL on a board obviously skewed towards CCL.

If Mickey doesn't shove this poll up Cahill's "porthole" there's something very wrong.

No kidding. As of this posting twice as many people feel RCCL is "better" than CCL on a board obviously skewed towards CCL.

Love the quote, my accountant ears perked up on these percentages.

I hope to try multiple lines in the future. But for now Carnivals price keeps me coming back. I cruise to see the water and the view over the rail is the same no matter what ship I'm on.

On Royal June 15-22, other than the dining room, the only time my name was used was when I made a purchase from one of the shops. The dining room staff was fantastic. Room steward was not. I will take Carnival any day over Royal.

I did the PC crossing (west to east) on Celebrity. This was in 2006. The cruise was pretty awesome as far as food service and entertainment. The only issue I had was absolutely NO diversity in age. Everyone was in their 70's and 80's.

I just took a 15 day CCL cruise and there was a much better an age mix. I have taken two 14+ day cruises on NCL and there is age diversity. On Celebrity, nope, nada, none. Not on a long sailing.

Based on all the reading I've been doing about Celebrity of late, the average age seem to be 40-55. Which is right where I'm at. :) The thing is, I'm 49 going on 50 going on 18! ;)

So we'll see what the February cruise tells us.

I also dying to try celebrity but I am the same way I may be nearly 50 but I not going to bed early and I want things to do at night lol I heard the food is the best....I may consider in another y ear or two right now I need to keep young and stay up late :)

The buffets were just fair on canrival and very good on RCI. Maybe I just want more meats, more veggies more hot food dishes and less fast food type foods?

Shows I agree.

You can't get hot breakfast on carnival for room service...

The outdoor pool deck party...carnival has mexican buffet rci had grilled steaks, chicken other types of meat and pig roast and other items...

have you seen the international buffet did you go to that, its amazing the best!

Im going back on carnival only because we been on the Freedom of the Seas four times in the past four years...I need a change of scenery, but do know what I giving up.....there is Disney cruise and i never consider that

Archived