Wooden recliners on Promenade Deck

zahav1

Every time I sail on a Princess cruise one particular item annoys me, those horrible wooden old chaise recliners on the Promenade deck. I don’t know if all the ships have this problem, but on my last 3 cruises that was a big problem. We love to sit and read, nap, drink, etc. on the Promenade deck, but have a really hard time finding two chaises next to each other that are not broken. Sometimes we have to find one and then walk around and look for another one and then move one. So many don’t work, the back doesn’t stay up, or another malfunction. These are so old, must be salvaged from the Titanic. Please Princess replace these !!!

Actually, I hate to tell you, but you won't even have a full recliner on the Emerald. Teak chairs, the back reclines a slight bit, but nothing to lift your feet. Sometimes people take two, one for their feet, which is fine when no one else is around, but since that is seldom the case, it's actually quite rude. I, too, have noticed the backs don't always work, but it must be quite difficult to maintain something heavily used like they are in the salt air 24/7.

I have to say that the Promonade deck chairs on the Coral were soooooo comfortable that I called and asked where I might purchase two of them. They were from Royal Teak and there is a local retail store that I intend to visit. They had the full leg rest and the cushions were firm and comfortable. They seemed new to me, so maybe we got lucky on our sailing. These chairs are not cheap, but we enjoyed them so much on our cruise, it's like bringing a little bit of the cruise home.

Actually, I hate to tell you, but you won't even have a full recliner on the Emerald. Teak chairs, the back reclines a slight bit, but nothing to lift your feet. Sometimes people take two, one for their feet, which is fine when no one else is around, but since that is seldom the case, it's actually quite rude. I, too, have noticed the backs don't always work, but it must be quite difficult to maintain something heavily used like they are in the salt air 24/7.

I believe the Promenade deck is only wide enough for loungers on the Coral/Island & Sapphire/Diamond and agree they must take a lot if abuse being exposed to salt air 24/7. I appreciate the teak loumgers on the teak decks although the cushions on the Sapphire were broken down & would require 2 pads to be as comfortable as on the Island.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Whats also rude is placing the chairs at the railing and blocking the deck completley for anyone to walk by. :mad:

I noticed that too - they've taken the foot rest part off of them and now there's nowhere to rest your feet.

I used knock these chaises until I had a full-length one on our Grand Suite balcony. It was so comfortable, I actually fell asleep in it and I have never, ever fallen asleep in a recliner or chaise lounge at any other time in my life! HAL used to even sell them because they were so highly requested.

Below is a picture of part of the Promenade deck on the Emerald Princess. and PescadoAmarillo

Those teak chairs on the Emerald don't look too comfortable, I was on the Grand and Coral with the broken ones.

I have to say that the Promonade deck chairs on the Coral were soooooo comfortable that I called and asked where I might purchase two of them. They were from Royal Teak and there is a local retail store that I intend to visit. They had the full leg rest and the cushions were firm and comfortable. They seemed new to me, so maybe we got lucky on our sailing. These chairs are not cheap, but we enjoyed them so much on our cruise, it's like bringing a little bit of the cruise home.

I was on the Coral in 3/2011 and the chairs were the old broken ones.

Now you've peaked my interest! Which chairs are on the Ruby??

ps I can understand not having full loungers on the Promenade deck if it is not wide enough. It seems that not all the ships are the same in that respect.

Whats also rude is placing the chairs at the railing and blocking the deck completley for anyone to walk by. :mad:

Why? There is still plenty of room to walk by. Are you saying you have to walk at the railing the entire time? With the loungers gone it's the only place to rest our feet.

The teak chaise loungers on the Promenade were one of my FAVORITE things on the Diamond Princess last year. I am soooo looking forward to them on the Sapphire in a few weeks. I didn't encounter any broken ones, so maybe I was lucky. Hopefully I'll be lucky again.

I truly missed them when I went on RCI earlier this year. They just had the plastic chairs with straps. I hate those chairs and really wished they would do the same as princess. It is one of those differences that I enjoy!

I've sailed the Sapphire many times and spend alot of time on the loungers on Promenade deck. I guess I've been really lucky but I haven't encountered broken ones and didn't have any issues keeping the back up. The cushions were quite worn and not thick as the cushions on the loungers by the main pool but still adequate.

Sorry you have not had a good experience.

I was on the Coral in 3/2011 and the chairs were the old broken ones.

Did you say something onboard? I encountered one broken lounger one evening on the deck, and on my way back up to the my cabin, I swung by the Purser's Desk and reported it. It was missing the next day, and reappeared the day after, fixed. With tape, but still, it was fixed. And for the record, in 15 days, that was the only broken chair I encountered.

I'm not sure there's someone on the ship's staff whose job it is to sit in every chair to test that they are in one piece -- it's not exactly ruining my vacation to man up and take some responsibility for reporting issues, instead of just going away, muttering about how standards have fallen and the world is going to Helena Handbasket.

I believe the Promenade deck is only wide enough for loungers on the Coral/Island & Sapphire/Diamond and agree they must take a lot if abuse being exposed to salt air 24/7. I appreciate the teak loumgers on the teak decks although the cushions on the Sapphire were broken down & would require 2 pads to be as comfortable as on the Island.

The Sun-class ships have the wider Promenade too and the teak loungers...

4855040848_95e7857bb3_z.jpg

P7300146 by RickEk, on Flickr

Edited by RickEk

The Sun-class ships have the wider Promenade too and the teak loungers...

Thanks...I've only been on one Sun-class ship & that was 12 years ago. I was going on memory when I said that I "believe" it was only on those 4 ships & obviously I was wrong.

Did you say something onboard? I encountered one broken lounger one evening on the deck, and on my way back up to the my cabin, I swung by the Purser's Desk and reported it. It was missing the next day, and reappeared the day after, fixed. With tape, but still, it was fixed. And for the record, in 15 days, that was the only broken chair I encountered.

I'm not sure there's someone on the ship's staff whose job it is to sit in every chair to test that they are in one piece -- it's not exactly ruining my vacation to man up and take some responsibility for reporting issues, instead of just going away, muttering about how standards have fallen and the world is going to Helena Handbasket.

Fully agree, really helps when we take the time report such things. I would do the same.

How do you it was not reported? no one was muttering and said the world is going to collapse. It was reported on the Grand, there were a bunch of them.

It seems like less and less Promenade as new ships come on the scene. Dawn/Sea/Sun, Diamond/Sapphire, Coral/Island all with nice wide Promenade decks. Grand class not so grand with narrow Promenade decks and stairs to Emerald deck. New Royal class Promenade deck won't have a means to go all the way around and may even have barriers at various lifeboat stations. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any deck chairs or loungers on the Royal class Promenade deck.

Why? There is still plenty of room to walk by. Are you saying you have to walk at the railing the entire time? With the loungers gone it's the only place to rest our feet.

Where did I say that I needed to walk by the rail???

I said the deck was blocked completley for people to walk by. :rolleyes:

Sapphire and Diamond were built by a different, more upscale builder than the rest of the Grand class ships, and have a promenade deck with true lounge chairs.

Upscale? I think not. The Italians have the handle on that. :)

After all they (Mitsubishi) did let the Diamond catch fire and burn down to the hull. :rolleyes: