Rome hotel +

chaucer642

A while ago some one posted the name of a hotel they had liked in Rome. It I wrote the name down and lost it. I'm hoping the person is still lurking here and can repeat the name. If not, I'm looking for some suggestions for some nice, but not overly expensive/luxurious hotels in Rome. We're arriving two days before our cruise and would like to take tours each of those days. Then of course we need to get to the ship. I assume a centrally located hotel would be best.

Any and all suggestions from you experienced cruisers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

Rome is a big city, and has many hotels, and there are many posters here with opinions.... so a little help????;)

You can read down the board. Also, TripAdvisor (CC sister website) is a far better site for hotel reveiws and recommendations.

... I'm looking for some suggestions for some nice, but not overly expensive/luxurious hotels in Rome. We're arriving two days before our cruise and would like to take tours each of those days. Then of course we need to get to the ship. I assume a centrally located hotel would be best.

Any and all suggestions from you experienced cruisers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

We stayed at the Hotel Artemide for 4 nights on our last visit to Rome. We had a great experience, and would certainly stay there again. The front desk staff were professional, polite and helpful.

A wonderful breakfast is included, with many selections to choose from. Fresh fruits, meats, cheeses, cereal, eggs, etc. They make excellent cappuccino.

They also provide (no charge) snacks and drinks in the in-room refrigerator. There is a roof-top lounge, but we didn't utilize it, we were just too busy.

We found the location very convenient and walked to many sites. The main train station, Termini, is about a 10 minute walk. There is a deli/market across the street, that we picked up some fruit, cheese and wine.

They get high marks on Trip Advisor. Check out the reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html

If you are looking for a private tour company, we can highly recommend Romeinlimo. We used them for several tours and a transfer from our hotel to the port in Civitaveccia. Then again from the port to the airport.

Their website:

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

Enjoy your stay in Rome!

My favorites based on location, rooms and overall ambiance are Sofitel Roma and Hotel Capo d'Africa. I have stayed at Capo several times as it often prices lower than Sofitel. We prefer to be a bit out of the tourist fray yet still central and these hotels deliver. We also really enjoy the rooftop area at both hotels for sitting out at night with a bottle of wine. Hotel Lancelot is close by and gets positive reviews and generally has a lower price tag but I have not stayed there personally.

If you need/want to be in the dead center, Albergo Cesari and Albergo Santa Chiara are moderately priced for Rome and offer a good value. In the same area but with a bigger price tag (and small rooms)is Albergo del Senato. This hotel used to be a bargain but its popularity has really driven up prices.

We like the Royal Santina. It is just across the street from Termini.HoHo and bus to/from airport stops right outside the front door. There was a great local restaurant around the corner (turn left outside hotel, left at the first corner. Next door to the Internet cafe is the restaurant...you'll see a menu on the door otherwise you have no clue. Delicious.

A while ago some one posted the name of a hotel they had liked in Rome. It I wrote the name down and lost it. I'm hoping the person is still lurking here and can repeat the name. If not, I'm looking for some suggestions for some nice, but not overly expensive/luxurious hotels in Rome. We're arriving two days before our cruise and would like to take tours each of those days. Then of course we need to get to the ship. I assume a centrally located hotel would be best.

Thanks,

Nancy

If it is your one and only time in Rome and would like to have the "Italian" experience, I suggest Hotel Camp de Fiori http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/home.htm

Great location, within walking distance of sites like the Vatican and even the Colosseum/Forum. In the center of the old city. Fabulous Piazza with a market by day and surrounded by restaurants by night. Wonderful staff, good breakfast included and a rooftop patio to die for. It is our favorite hotel in Italy and we stay each time we are in Rome.

Oh my, this gave me my chuckle for the day.

This whole forum/website is about people coming and posting about hotels (and other items) they liked ...... and hotels in Rome has been the topic of literally a gazillion threads.

You really didn't give us a lot to go on........such as.....

budget

what you consider centrally located (meaning what do you want to focus on)

how many people in your party

time of year (prices vary ALOT from low to high season)

etc etc...... so many variables and Rome has a hundred for EACH variable.......

So if you could give us a little more info.......

Oh my, this gave me my chuckle for the day.

This whole forum/website is about people coming and posting about hotels (and other items) they liked ...... and hotels in Rome has been the topic of literally a gazillion threads.

You really didn't give us a lot to go on........such as.....

budget

what you consider centrally located (meaning what do you want to focus on)

how many people in your party

time of year (prices vary ALOT from low to high season)

etc etc...... so many variables and Rome has a hundred for EACH variable.......

So if you could give us a little more info.......

Why the chuckle?

Nancy asked a simple question, "I'm looking for some suggestions for some nice, but not overly expensive/luxurious hotels in Rome."

None of your "criteria" prevents anyone giving an answer, as many have.

Why the chuckle?

Nancy asked a simple question, "I'm looking for some suggestions for some nice, but not overly expensive/luxurious hotels in Rome."

None of your "criteria" prevents anyone giving an answer, as many have.

The chuckle came from the fact that the OP said "someone" posted a name of a hotel they liked in Rome....... and hoped they would come back and repeat the name. It just seemed a tad funny to me since hotels are recommendations are discussed here ALOT ! Did not mean to offend, just made me chuckle.

Never said that others couldn't give their recommendations but as for asking for more information it could really help the OP in the end since Rome hotel prices can vary ALOT from season to season. Also - one persons "not overly expensive/luxurious" can be very different from anothers. When using a search engine such as Venere or others you need to put in certain info to obtain the right results you are looking for......just thought it would help in this case too.

I can give some hotel names too, but thought I would narrow down what OP is looking for so I don't steer in the wrong direction.

The more specific you get with your questions, the better response you will get to your wants/needs.

Sorry if I somehow rubbed you the wrong way........ :)

The chuckle came from the fact that the OP said "someone" posted a name of a hotel they liked in Rome....... and hoped they would come back and repeat the name. It just seemed a tad funny to me since hotels are recommendations are discussed here ALOT ! Did not mean to offend, just made me chuckle.

Never said that others couldn't give their recommendations but as for asking for more information it could really help the OP in the end since Rome hotel prices can vary ALOT from season to season. Also - one persons "not overly expensive/luxurious" can be very different from anothers. When using a search engine such as Venere or others you need to put in certain info to obtain the right results you are looking for......just thought it would help in this case too.

I can give some hotel names too, but thought I would narrow down what OP is looking for so I don't steer in the wrong direction.

The more specific you get with your questions, the better response you will get to your wants/needs.

I agree with your comments. I too am looking for a hotel in Rome and I have checked out some of the recommendations but found them to be more expensive than what I want to pay or not in the location that suits me, so the more information we give the better the answers will be.

You didn't offend me. You may have "turned off" a poster though.

Cruise Critic attracts new people all the time. Travel agents and other forums steer folks here. People come here to get answers to their cruise questions, generally new people. These new people don't have the benefit of having seen all the questions asked over the number of years you have been here.

I just find "long timers" on this forum are becoming very "intolerant" (sorry, I cannot think of another adjective) of newbies. Rather than come to aid, they come to correct. I took your response as such and apologize to you as that was surely not the intent. :)

You didn't offend me. You may have "turned off" a poster though.

Cruise Critic attracts new people all the time. Travel agents and other forums steer folks here. People come here to get answers to their cruise questions, generally new people. These new people don't have the benefit of having seen all the questions asked over the number of years you have been here.

I just find "long timers" on this forum are becoming very "intolerant" (sorry, I cannot think of another adjective) of newbies. Rather than come to aid, they come to correct. I took your response as such and apologize to you as that was surely not the intent. :)

Hopefully I have not discouraged anyone but rather informed them how to better get the info they seek.

I truly did not mean to correct - and I do try to help newbies - we were all one once. I will say that if my post "turned them off" hopefully they can grow some thicker skin because there are others on here that really attack at times. I know, I have been the recipient of such attacks. Downright mean.

Now lets just move on and find them a hotel :D

I just find "long timers" on this forum are becoming very "intolerant" (sorry, I cannot think of another adjective) of newbies. Rather than come to aid, they come to correct.

Oh please. I can't speak for anyone but myself (a relatively "long timer" on this forum), but I will say that there are times when it's easy to be frustrated by some postings, especially those by members with 100 or more posts, obviously not new to Cruise Critic.

I try to provide detailed, thorough and accurate responses to questions. I don't guess at a time, a price or a location, I check my facts and I usually provide a link so the questioner can verify what I've offered. I don't mind doing this at all because lots of people have helped me over the years, and because I sometimes learn something new in the process of helping someone.

I do mind, however, when posters are so arrogant and/or self centered that they can't be bothered doing any thinking on their own and ask ridiculously broad questions (such as "what is there to do in Rome?"), or when they haven't taken even five minutes to scan the forum and see what it's about before they barge in with "I need I want" like a toddler.

None of this, by the way, applies to the poster of this thread. Sorry for getting it off track.

The hotel Smeraldo is very central and gets lots of positive comments here: http://www.smeraldoroma.com/inglese/hotel.htm

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the posters who have been here for years and yet still answer the questions of new posters with detailed information OR ask for additional clarification when necessary so as to provide a useful answer.

These people helped me out a lot when I first started frequenting the CC Ports of Call boards and I enjoy returning the favor.

Anyone can have a bad day. I try to read posts from others as factual and helpful whenever possible and don't try to get too hung up on interpreting the tone, which can be hard to accurately decipher. Some people are naturally terse, some are conversational.

I actually find it more annoying when long-time posters take exception to the opinions of other long-time posters and instead of contenting themselves with providing an opposing opinion feel it necessary to denigrate the poster.

...I try to provide detailed, thorough and accurate responses to questions. I don't guess at a time, a price or a location, I check my facts and I usually provide a link so the questioner can verify what I've offered...

Yes, you do, and we are so appreciative! Your posts are clear and factual. I am grateful for the information you provided for me when I was planning a trip last summer to Tuscany, Rome, Florence and Venice.

THANK YOU!

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the posters who have been here for years and yet still answer the questions of new posters with detailed information OR ask for additional clarification when necessary so as to provide a useful answer.

You have answered so many questions with helpful information!

I have copied many of your posts for future reference. THANK YOU!

Hotel Artemide and its sister hotel, Hotel Diocleziano, are great choices. Hotel Diocleziano is closer to Termini but works well if you intend to take buses or the trains.

You should absolutely review your hotel choices on Tripadvisor.

Archived