Music Trivia problem

temanski

Let me start off by saying that I was a Radio DJ for 30 years... I'm a music freak, and I'm passionate about my specialty "MUSIC", music from the 30's through today. Just off the Gem, participated in every music trivia (Name That Tune) contest.. won them all, graciously gave my prize to the others playing the contest.. I really don't need a bottle of bubbly, I just enjoy playing. Now for my complaint: The very first contest of 20 songs contained (2) two incorrect answers.. One was "A Lovers Concerto" by the Toys, the other was "Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke. The Norwegian show host identified that last tune as "Don't Know Much About History" as the title, and the other was dubbed "Back in My Arms Again", by the Supreme's.. both totally incorrect. When I brought this to thier attention (and the audience agreed with me) they said "Well that's not what's on the paper they gave me"... I said IF YOU'RE NOT A MUSIC EXPERT, THEN YOU DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S INCORRECT AND IT IS... They stuck to their guns, I still won, but I offered to prove and correct the fact that the contest they're doing has 10% wrong answers. Look at it this way, If the Captain of the Gem was playing a game where they asked what the GEM's sister ship was and they said it was the EPIC, he's stand right up and say: "I can tell you that it's the Jewel, and I should know"... I sent two sheets to the Manager of the GEM, without response, both times offering my assistance to get it right and a full-proof way to insure that the answers are correct. There is a program called SHAZAM that on the iPhone will listen to a few seconds of any song and identify ARTIST, TITLE, ALBUM... still my offer to "get it right" was ignored. This is 100% nit-picking, but I'm so passionate about my profession. I love to help people identify songs they're searching for by just a line or two, or a movie it was in or locate the song for them in my library if I'm performing and make their occasion special. I just wish an offer to help did not fall on deaf ears. Fire away and tell me to "get a life".

I love trivia on board, but this does happen, as earlier noted, on all the lines. On Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore, the "list" had two answers wrong on music trivia, and the staff member stuck to his guns. In our instance, the answers were so obvious that many folks had them right, and were grumbling, but these poor CD staff are told to follow the list, so that was that. The list was from Miami, which is more sacred than Shazam. I am glad you brought it up to see that it wasn't only one cruise line!

Edited by elhenry

The best resolution I've seen on any cruise was my experience on the Celebrity Silhouette last December.....on their daily "Good Morning" TV show, the CD and his assistant would announce the best "Trivia Challenge" of the previous day, and would reward the person correcting their mistake, as well as insuring it was corrected for future games.

So I guess some lines take trivia seriously....:)

• 3 years later...
Let me start off by saying that I was a Radio DJ for 30 years... I'm a music freak, and I'm passionate about my specialty "MUSIC", music from the 30's through today. Just off the Gem, participated in every music trivia (Name That Tune) contest.. won them all, graciously gave my prize to the others playing the contest.. I really don't need a bottle of bubbly, I just enjoy playing. Now for my complaint: The very first contest of 20 songs contained (2) two incorrect answers.. One was "A Lovers Concerto" by the Toys, the other was "Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke. The Norwegian show host identified that last tune as "Don't Know Much About History" as the title, and the other was dubbed "Back in My Arms Again", by the Supreme's.. both totally incorrect. When I brought this to thier attention (and the audience agreed with me) they said "Well that's not what's on the paper they gave me"... I said IF YOU'RE NOT A MUSIC EXPERT, THEN YOU DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S INCORRECT AND IT IS... They stuck to their guns, I still won, but I offered to prove and correct the fact that the contest they're doing has 10% wrong answers. Look at it this way, If the Captain of the Gem was playing a game where they asked what the GEM's sister ship was and they said it was the EPIC, he's stand right up and say: "I can tell you that it's the Jewel, and I should know"... I sent two sheets to the Manager of the GEM, without response, both times offering my assistance to get it right and a full-proof way to insure that the answers are correct. There is a program called SHAZAM that on the iPhone will listen to a few seconds of any song and identify ARTIST, TITLE, ALBUM... still my offer to "get it right" was ignored. This is 100% nit-picking, but I'm so passionate about my profession. I love to help people identify songs they're searching for by just a line or two, or a movie it was in or locate the song for them in my library if I'm performing and make their occasion special. I just wish an offer to help did not fall on deaf ears. Fire away and tell me to "get a life".

I also am a radio DJ of 28 years. This past July I won the 60's, 70's music trivia contests, tied for 1st in the 90's and lost the 80's contest to a group of 10 passengers on a technicality on the Breakaway. The current prize structure is that you are given a punch card with 20 spaces on it. For every organized activity you receive one punch out. If you win your contest, you get two punch outs. You can redeem your punch outs for prizes on the last night of the cruise. Water bottles, key chains, frisbee a and drink coozies. I happened to have a thumb drive of current music (I'm a moble dj too) with me and made friends with the onboard DJs by hooking them up with a few hundred songs. Apparently, they are responsible for their own music and seldom get an opportunity the get new music because they're onboard all the time. So, the music they have is what they have. I lost the 80's contest because the DJ that night had some weird remix of a song, not the radio/popular version. For the 70's music trivia contest the songs were mostly disco, no Doobie Bros, no The Night Chicago Died, just disco songs. There's always one or two album cut songs (that never got airplay and that you'd only know if you had the album) by well-known artists that are played. These are the songs used to thin out the crowd.

OP, I understand where you are coming from. My career was in the music industry (almost 40 years) and I was on a Celebrity cruise just watching the music trivia contest and they had a wrong answer. After the game was over, I told the young lady that the answer was wrong and told her the correct answer. She looked at her paper and then looked at me like I was from outer space, so I just let it go.

I recommend picking and choosing your battles. Simply give the game director a tip when it's over of "I know it's what your card says, but you may want to check that answer. I think it's incorrect" and let it go. Be warmed by the idea that you know the right answer and give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back. Anything else is likely considered self-promoting and annoying. Even if you intention of "saving the world from bad, nuanced music trivia knowledge" is pure, the likelihood of most people giving two sh*ts is pretty low.

Edited by weltek

Now...my wife, the music guru...it would make her crazy. And then, realizing the whole thing is just for FUN...we would just go on with the rest of the day/eve, have a few more adult beverages....and I'd pick on her a little about her getting so hyper over it. Then she would grin......I hope.

Ok, if you say so.....GET A LIFE!!!!:D;)

Sam Cooke is sacred!

OP, I understand where you are coming from. My career was in the music industry (almost 40 years) and I was on a Celebrity cruise just watching the music trivia contest and they had a wrong answer. After the game was over, I told the young lady that the answer was wrong and told her the correct answer. She looked at her paper and then looked at me like I was from outer space, so I just let it go.

The OP posted his diatribe more than three YEARS ago!!

Last week on the Norway, during current events trivia, they said that Donnie Osmond was the one who dangled his baby over the railing! We knew it was Michael Jackson, so we searched the microfiche when we got home, and faxed NCL with the correct information.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Last week on the Norway, during current events trivia, they said that Donnie Osmond was the one who dangled his baby over the railing! We knew it was Michael Jackson, so we searched the microfiche when we got home, and faxed NCL with the correct information.

WOW, you were on the Norway last week. This thread is older than I realized. :D

Love it! Microfiche really made me laugh out loud.

I used to set trivia quizzes in my local pub.

One night I asked "What is the name of the organization that puts Bibles in hotel rooms?"

When I gave the answer as "The Gideons" I was approached by an irate lady and told my answer was wrong.

"It's not The Gideons" she told me "It's the Hilton group!"

I decided not to amend my answer.