Interesting 250 Point Latitudes Perks from Survey

valleyvillage

I understand that you are platinum now. But you stated that you were platinum long ago and I was curious how you could have been platinum with only 10 cruises prior to the program conversion.

No slam intended. I was just curious considering your wording.

John

No slam taken. Perhaps my wording was wrong...I meant that I was platinum long ago since it has been quite a while since we have sailed with NCL so that status was achieved long ago based on when we last sailed based under the new program. Does that make sense? I actually didn't even know we were now platinum until I got the survey, I wasn't aware of the changes in the program.

Ok, maybe someone here will remember the exact details. Didn't NCL have a special breakfast set up in the smaller Main dining room for awhile? I don't remember if it was for Platinum or mini-suite guests and I don't think it lasted that long. Maybe they are thinking of reviving that plan as the over 250 pts perk. That way it certainly wouldn't affect Cagneys.

Either way, it would be nice if they added some upper tier level perks. But, if not I'm happy with my free laundry and Le Bistro dinner!:)

Ok, maybe someone here will remember the exact details. Didn't NCL have a special breakfast set up in the smaller Main dining room for awhile? I don't remember if it was for Platinum or mini-suite guests and I don't think it lasted that long. Maybe they are thinking of reviving that plan as the over 250 pts perk. That way it certainly wouldn't affect Cagneys.

Either way, it would be nice if they added some upper tier level perks. But, if not I'm happy with my free laundry and Le Bistro dinner!:)

They did open the smaller dining room for a short period for balcony and mini suite guests. The survey was specific to breakfast in a specialty restaurant. I can't imagine more then 10 250 point guests on any one cruise now. 5 years from now the way points add up that could be a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I'm wondering if I'm the only suite cruiser thinking the same entitlement issue is shared by Platinum cruisers who don't book suites. Remember the thread a few days ago about people who only book inside cabins?

Either way, the loyalty program perks are not a decision I'm able to make for NCL, and I don't cruise often enough to make Platinum for several years. Just be careful with that mud you're starting to sling.

Thanks for saying that.....

I've made concious decisions as to what type of accomodations I want to sail in..... I've been in an inside and OV and didn't care for the closed in feeling (both times with 3 other nurses). When I finally did book a suite, I was hooked. Unless you were to see me going into my cabin or in Cagney's for breakfast, you would NEVER know that I was cruising in a suite. I've been in Cagney's for breakfast and really couldn't care less who was sitting in there with me. I can only say it's usually no more than 5 tables the entire time I'm eating. I really can't speak to lunch because I only eat there on the first day....the other days I'm too busy having fun to stop what I'm doing - even on sea days!

As for everyone who is slamming those of us who currently only sail in a suite: in my profession, I typically can't book a cruise more that 6 months out. I have one booked now because I was smart and got the time pre-approved when I accepted a new position within the hospital. If I were able to book 4-6 weekly cruises a year, don't you all think that I would? It certainly would put me on par with points with everyone who books B2Bs and multiple cruises each year in any other type of cabin. I also have to pay airfare for pretty much every port OR drive for 12+ hours which isn't cheap these days due to gas prices and parking fees. Last I checked, NCL didn't cruise the Great Lakes!!

Do I feel entitled? No, I feel that I should get the perks that NCL states come with the suites. Do I feel that those of you complaining that "I feel entitled because I'm in a suite" should get those same perks? If you've become Platinum, pretty much! Even though I pay for a suite, I still need to tip the Butler (and I never use the concierge except for getting off the ship). Do I get upset that the Butler is usually tied up with those that can afford the GV? Yup! But I also realize that they've paid a boat-load more than I have to cruise in that colossal thing!

So, in my heart of hearts, I think we should all just toss out this thread and realize that no one will ever agree 100% about "entitled" suite cruisers. My favorite line to say to people who judge others is, we all crap the same way and I'll be in my scrubs to clean your butt when you're unresponsive and on a ventilator 50 out of the 52 weeks in the year!

This is my rant and my opinion. I'm not asking anyone else to agree, because I'm certain that I will be flamed quickly. Go ahead - fire away. I'll just sit back and shake my head at your responses.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for the answers on the lebistro question very appreciated.

My daughte is now 18 and is very excited as she will be able to have wine on the ship... and her own bottle now is even better, not that she will drink the it, MOm will though... thanks again

A statement like this is what I mean by some having a sense of entitlement. I choose to spend my $3000-$20,000 over a few weeks each year versus just once a year. If I'm spending what others are, then why aren't I entitled to a few breakfasts in a special restaurant?

This difference is that you are occupying 3 - 5 cabins (which they would have otherwise sold to someone else), instead of 1 cabin....for the same amount of money.

You cost them 3 - 5 times the amount of fuel, staff costs, food, etc.

That's why 1 week in a suite is valued more highly than the same amount of spend over 3 - 5 trips in a balcony.

Took the same survery. I applaud NCL for trying to find ways of improving the program, but they need to do something with a bit more wow factor for those of us who book suites. We get some of the things that they "proposed" and by giving more to latitude members, they are going to alienate the suite guests who are paying for those perks in the base fare. I hope they think this all the way through. It makes sense to reward repeat cruisers but don't do something that will potentially make your suite guests second guess what they are booking.

Agree.

This difference is that you are occupying 3 - 5 cabins (which they would have otherwise sold to someone else), instead of 1 cabin....for the same amount of money.

You cost them 3 - 5 times the amount of fuel, staff costs, food, etc.

That's why 1 week in a suite is valued more highly than the same amount of spend over 3 - 5 trips in a balcony.

...and in the same light does she not potentially leave more money on the ship, by way of her on board account, in 3 - 5 cruises than one might in a suite for 1 trip? Isn't that why NCL heavily discounts cabins to make sure there are as many "butts in the seat" on each and every sailing?

John

I won't flame you, because I cruise the same way.

I will never understand the mindset of some who book suites, then begrudge others who may receive some of the same benefits by other means.

I think this is the mindset of some of us who book suites. It is NOT that others gain perks through other means, (I was quite vocal about high platinum not receiving enough perks), but this:

If NCL gives something we are already paying in our sweet suite fare we are not receiving any benefit for that high platinum perk since we have already earned it. Like the recent promi that gave choc berries.

I say give a high latitude perks that all can count as extras, like internet time or discounts.

I haven't seen the survey yet.

To me, I think a 250 point cruiser should be able to choose their perk from a list of four or five. They should need to choose it when they do their e-docs. If they are in a suite, then they can choose something other than Cagney's, and so on.

Good idea! I responded before I read your post. Duh. I should have thought of that.

Took the same survery. I applaud NCL for trying to find ways of improving the program, but they need to do something with a bit more wow factor for those of us who book suites. We get some of the things that they "proposed" and by giving more to latitude members, they are going to alienate the suite guests who are paying for those perks in the base fare. I hope they think this all the way through. It makes sense to reward repeat cruisers but don't do something that will potentially make your suite guests second guess what they are booking.

Agree.

I believe what is confusing a few people, is that they do not seem to be looking at offering all of these "suite" perks to all Platinum Latitudes members. I think they are looking at ways of recognizing the Platinum members that are beyond the 250 point level. As of right now that is going to be a very small number on each sailing and in no way dilute your "suite" perks. Now over time this will change and I am sure NCL will change with it.

Besides, as Time2cruise1 stated earlier, many people that are in the upper levels of Latitudes points are already dining right next to you in Cagney's. Ships personnel are much better at recognizing loyalty than corporate and have been using VIP rosters to thank these people for their loyalty.

John

...and in the same light does she not potentially leave more money on the ship, by way of her on board account, in 3 - 5 cruises than one might in a suite for 1 trip? Isn't that why NCL heavily discounts cabins to make sure there are as many "butts in the seat" on each and every sailing?

John

I agree with your point here. On the "High Seas" tv program (someone help me out with the right name for that show, please, I know I have mangled that), it traces where the break even point for the Pearl was... it wasn't cabin costs--it was spending on excursions and on the ship.

Referring again to the "inside cabin only" thread, there's a lot of people who choose inside cabins as a sign of how little they will spend to cruise, and walk off with no spending on the ship. It was a bargain for them to get on the ship (reduced cabin price), and those cruisers on a such a budget make sure to spend as little as possible while on the ship. There's a thread going on ways to save money on cruises right now on the "Ask a cruise question" board with that same philosophy expressed--book the lowest cost, and don't spend money on the ship.

That being said, the $12/day DSC is getting paid while they're in that inside cabin. There's people who are as addicted to the spa as I am in all types of cabins. There's people who think the all inclusive alcoholic beverage plan would save them money. :eek:

A person with a higher entry cost who only books for one week gets certain perks to entice them to book (revolving around exclusivity, ease of travel, etc). A cruiser with a lower entry point to the cruiseline who books multiple weeks a year might want different perks to entice them to book (such as the discount on cabin price listed by a previous poster). It's when NCL starts crossing those marketing philosophies that the value for the suite guests is diluted. The Platinum suite guests are then drawn away from booking at the higher entry point (as stated by another poster on this thread).

My $.02, of course.

John

potentially yes, she might spend more. OTOH, I know many frequent cruisers who spend little aboard on extras, especially if they are not gamblers or big drinkers. they may not book excursions (either been ther, done that or go with private vendor), they have souvenirs and trinkets and photos galore, so they may not buy more. they have free specialty dining vouchers and free wine, so they may not but more. I suspect the first time cruisers or infrequent cruisers probably spend more per cruise on board. Frequent cruisers are great ambassadors, reliably fill cabins, and and certainly contribute toward on board revenue...NCL undoubtedly knows how much the average Platinum spends on board.

No flames. I agree with you. If NCL is considering the option of breakfast in Cagneys or somewhere else, they probably already know that it won't affect the level of service those in suites receive.

I so disagree with that in red, if history is any indication of how any proposed benefits are implemented. By history, I refer to staffing in all service areas, and quality in food. NCL has increased the workload of all service staff (more rooms to clean per steward, more tables per waiter), and a reduction in the selection and quality of food. I see no historical evidence that NCL will increase the size of the VIP check in area or add to the staffing, if an increase of users negatively impacts service.

potentially yes, she might spend more. OTOH, I know many frequent cruisers who spend little aboard on extras, especially if they are not gamblers or big drinkers. they may not book excursions (either been ther, done that or go with private vendor), they have souvenirs and trinkets and photos galore, so they may not buy more. they have free specialty dining vouchers and free wine, so they may not but more. I suspect the first time cruisers or infrequent cruisers probably spend more per cruise on board. Frequent cruisers are great ambassadors, reliably fill cabins, and and certainly contribute toward on board revenue...NCL undoubtedly knows how much the average Platinum spends on board.

As my post started "...and in the same light does she not potentially leave more money on the ship"?

Any scenario can be rationalized with any number of arguments. My post was really only pointed at the specific person I quoted because of the sense of entitlement that SOME suite passengers exude.

John

Not surprised this thread has jumped the shark and back to suite passengers vs inside cabin cruisers. The real question is what would make the Latitudes program better and peoples thoughts on the survey. The potential changes will take nothing away from my suite life. If you want the suite life book it. If you want to save money and sail in an inside book it. Everyone has the same choices. Keep in mind the suite passengers will achieve all the perks as soon as twice as fast. We are not ignored.

You want unfair go back to the old program. 14 one or two day cruised in an inside made anyone Platinum while a suite passenger with 10 14 day cruises was not. Today 2 14 day suite cruises can make anyone Platinum if booked right. The issue they seem to want to address are those passengers that have rolled up 100s of points in inside or suites. Those people have earned addition perks just like those of us that elect to pay for them.

I think I am in a position to judge this fairly. I normally cruise in suites and have just over 400 points. The fact that it appears NCL is looking at addressing the group of guest left out of the new program, their most loyal customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

As my post started "...and in the same light does she not potentially leave more money on the ship"?

Any scenario can be rationalized with any number of arguments. My post was really only pointed at the specific person I quoted because of the sense of entitlement that SOME suite passengers exude.

John

I also used potentially in my first line...maybe she does, maybe she does not. heck, even she does not know if she spends more, as she does not know how much the entitled suite passenger spends.

Some suite passengers act entitled.

Some upper rewards members act entitled.

Some people are neither of the above, yet still act entitled.

I don't understand what you're talking about. Unless you walk around bragging about the fact that you were booked in an inside but eating in Cagney's, who would even know?

On one cruise we were VIP'd by the hotel director and got to eat in Cagney's. No one knew about that but us, and no one cared.

I don't brag about anything I do on a cruise, but those who attend the Meet and Greet and cabin crawls, and those who make and/or read the lists of cabin numbers for contact know very well which cabins are inside.

Now --- Try to dispute my post further if you feel the need to do so !!

I find the concept that some suite guests feel entitled a bit strange. I do feel entitled, entitled to everything I paid for! Some of those that don't stay in suites like to comment that what could it hurt? Let's take Cagney's, usually when we are there for breakfast, there are two waiters and one or two assistants. Normally there are fewer than 10 suite guests at a time and they are well served. If you make the number 15 guests, the 10 suite guests get less service than they had, but the 5 extra's get better service/food than they would have. Who wins?

Most suite guests pay anywhere from about $3000 to $20,000 for one week, they get a somewhat larger room. The extra's are butler, concierge, special seating at shows and food/service. Anyone in the world can get the very same thing. All you have to do is pay for it and book.

I've never noticed any suite guest in my experience that felt/displayed being superior. All that most want is the service/perks they paid for and to not hand them out to others that have not paid.

If NCL wanted to make some extra money, they could allow everyone to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's for a fee. Since dinner is $25 how about $5 for breakfast and $10 for lunch. How soon would that perk cease being a perk? NCL already allows some "VIP's" in Cagney's. Most know who they are right away. On our last cruise we were told by the Concierge who the VIP's were.

It really should not make a difference to you the status of the others in Cagney's.

The hotel manager can and will move people from other venues if needed, so the service does not suffer.

Wow. I won't quote all the perttinent posts. But any cc'er should now that NCL just doesn't give perqs away. If someone makes platinum, NCL has made money from their loyalty.

It's kind of funny how some of the same posters that want to be more special than other platinums got bent out of shape when others were not favorable towards NCL's conversion of public space to "special" suites. Heck if you buy a special enough accommodation, you don't have to hassle with the hoi polloi in the "blue dot" games.

A statement like this is what I mean by some having a sense of entitlement. I choose to spend my $3000-$20,000 over a few weeks each year versus just once a year. If I'm spending what others are, then why aren't I entitled to a few breakfasts in a special restaurant?

It also comes down to what is Loyalty? Is it who can throw out the most money, or who keeps coming back? A person that cruises a particular line once in an suite, for 20+days, and books 9 months out, then goes to other lines and comes back 5 years later, are they Loyal to this particular line? Just asking?

To me Loyalty is something other than money. Maybe that is what is wrong with some businesses and employees these days, they have forgotten what being Loyal actually mean.

The answer to your question is an easy one. You arent entitled to the same perks by spending the same money because the money you are spending is spread out over a greater time frame. You get three weeks on a cruise ship for your $20,000.00 while a suite guest will only get a week. That is three times the output of expense by NCL for your $20,000 than for a suite guest of one week. I can assure you the profit margin for a week in a balcony stateroom is not as much as a week in a suite.

I do not believe that as a suite guest I am any more important than anyone else and I have never treated anyone "less than". I would be MORTIFIED if anyone ever thought I had treated them as "less than" in any circumstance. I have no idea what someone in the cheapest inside stateroom has compared to what I have. All that indicates is how they choose to spend their money and how I choose to spend my money. I do expect to get what I pay for, however and I would be less inclined to spend my money for it , if others spent less (comparing apples to apples) and got what I paid extra for.

I haven't read all of the comments on this thread, because some are just silly or asinine. NCL's Latitudes program is a lot more fair than it used to be. Used to be based simply on the number of cruises you took. If you took 30 one day cruises (and trust me there are people who have) should you have more of a latitudes status than someone who has taken three 20+ day cruises? Based on the old Latitudes program the one who took the 1 day cruises would have 30 points and the one who took the three 20+ day cruises would have three points. That is what NCL fixed when they changed the program this time. In that instance, it does come down to a matter of economics as to which should get the more Latitudes points.

I took the survey and then my mother tried, but could not. We received 2 emails to the same email address that we share. My mother tried to take her survey, but the message she got was that it was done already. Are other 2 person Platinum households having the same problem?

I took the survey and then my mother tried, but could not. We received 2 emails to the same email address that we share. My mother tried to take her survey, but the message she got was that it was done already. Are other 2 person Platinum households having the same problem?

The problem is that the survey is tagged to email addresses. My wife received the survey at her own address and completed the survey with no problem.

Sorry.

John

I can never figure out why people want to sail the same line all the time. I like the change. I choose a cruise by itinerary only.

To each their own. We prefer our fave ship/suite. Where it's going is secondary.

Archived