Guilty Pleasures, and Clean Laundry!

Gay Cruiser

I am currently Princess Platinum status. I have enjoyed many lines, Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, hence I am not Elite yet or the equivalent on the other lines.

I was thinking what I would enjoy MOST upon obtaining Elite Status on Princess. I have decided it is the free laundry and pressing services!

Now come CLEAN (pun intended) has anyone ever brought almost all dirty clothes on board and gone home with all clean clothes when you disembark?

Well I have certainly seen posts from Elites on various cruiselines who--upon boarding after spending several days on tour or just at the embarkation port pre-cruise--bragged that they had their dirty laundry bagged and ready by the time the cabin steward knocked on the door to introduce himself!

No! Never would I bring dirty clothes with me. :eek:

Actually, the Elite cleaning is a nice perk but we really don't use it any more than we do on other lines when we have to pay for it ... mostly his dress pants, tux, tux shirts, and undies on longer cruises.

My mother would haunt me if I did that! She would counsel that I would be seriously embarassed if the taxi had an accident on the way to the pier. Not to mention the prospect IF your luggage was held up for suspected contraband and you were required to open it for inspection. Not a good look!

My mother would haunt me if I did that! She would counsel that I would be seriously embarassed if the taxi had an accident on the way to the pier. Not to mention the prospect IF your luggage was held up for suspected contraband and you were required to open it for inspection. Not a good look!

:D Funny Above! :D

Now come CLEAN (pun intended) has anyone ever brought almost all dirty clothes on board and gone home with all clean clothes when you disembark?
Not really. Last February, I spent a week pre-cruise in Galapagos where it was very hot and humid. I washed what I could but wound up bringing a lot of dirty, stinky clothes (packed in a plastic bag so they wouldn't foul up my cruise clothes) that I put into two laundry bags as soon as my luggage was delivered. I'd never bring dirty clothes directly from home although I've known some people who have.

I am currently Princess Platinum status. I have enjoyed many lines, Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, hence I am not Elite yet or the equivalent on the other lines.

I was thinking what I would enjoy MOST upon obtaining Elite Status on Princess. I have decided it is the free laundry and pressing services!

l can honestly answer yes. We had been at WDW for 5 days and did not do the laundry before coming on the ship. So I had to do it then.

Supposedly a guy that was at my table did that. He sure bragged about everything he got for being an Elite. He actually seemed pretty proud of himself about how much of a cheapskate he is. Funny though, never saw his wife with him, and she was supposed to be on board with him (maybe she was embarrassed by him. I certainly would be).

We are Platinum and joke that the best perk about getting to Elite would be the free, laundry. I would never bring dirty clothes on board on purpose. However, we have had mixed clothes before from land based pre-cruise activies. Sometimes, it is easier to either do the laundry on board myself or send it out and pay than it is to get it done before we board.

For now, I do the laundry. Maybe some day. . .

Ohiodoglover

Sure, plenty of times but not for their laundry, only their dry cleaning process. There are items I use only when cruising like a suit jacket & pants and I never have them cleaned at home since I have no use for them so I wait till I'm on the ship to use their service.

I've joked around with people from work that I should bring my bed sheets and towels. They have a great pressing machine!!

(But I never would, it was just a good laugh)

But yes, if we had been traveling for a few days before the cruise, I would get them cleaned so I could wear them again on the cruise. I pack specifically so that I can double up now that I'm elite and pack half as much clothes.

As soon as a lot of people start doing this, Princess will discontinue the perk (or limit it severely). Internet minutes used to be unlimited but people were abusing it and letting their kids play games while others were waiting to mainly check their e-mails.

On another note, was that cheap man named Ron? Did he tell you that he never spent more than $50/day for a cruise, put your name in his phone? If this was the same guy I met, I don't think he had a wife. Dining with him made for one LONG meal!

For Pam_In_CA: I love your little Princess Elite pin on your posts. I wish I could find a similar one for Platinum. Your HAL version isn't showing up. You might want to check the image.

We did check out the self service laundry on our last cruise and it looked spotless. Either it had just been cleaned or Princess cruisers aren't using it. Anyway, just went Platinum and I think I'm all about suites from this point forward. I'll have 4 tier credits with Celebrity (2 suites) after my 2014 cruise so Select status is my next goal!

I'm planning a transatlantic for 2015 so I guess that will be the first time I'll use the laundry service.

no....

we do usually have stuff the first day because normally we do a precruise for a few days and have those items washed.

We still laugh whenever we put something on and find the little laundry tag still on the clothing item... and the service is great however it doesn't compare to a good wash at home, plus the ink they use for those tags seems to mark our clothes. On the Star in Feb/March they kept putting the id tags at the front hem of our tops, leaving a mark right there that you could visibly see -- actually had to mark on the form "do not put id tag on front of clothing" .

Have had a few items ruined in the laundry too so I am cautious about what I put in now. somehow my brown shorts came back with orange marks all over them :eek: but they were not expensive shorts so I just dealt with it.

Never would bring dirty clothes from home. However love this perk when we've been on a pre-cruise tour. Earlier this year when we got on the ship from Alaska tour all of the clothes we had taken with us on the tour were dirty so we had to send out clothes to the laundry the 1st day. That's when you really appreciate the perk.

This is one of our favorite perks and we get just a tad upset if we hear of people abusing this because it could lead to us losing it.

We were on a 30 day Cunard cruise this summer and we really missed the Princess laundry perk. We're also Diamond level Cunarders, but Cunard only gives a 20% discount and that's not a lot when you consider they charge a heck of a lot for laundry & cleaning service. Found myself in the 'laundrette' a couple of times and that was not fun at all.

no....

we do usually have stuff the first day because normally we do a precruise for a few days and have those items washed.

We still laugh whenever we put something on and find the little laundry tag still on the clothing item... and the service is great however it doesn't compare to a good wash at home, plus the ink they use for those tags seems to mark our clothes. On the Star in Feb/March they kept putting the id tags at the front hem of our tops, leaving a mark right there that you could visibly see -- actually had to mark on the form "do not put id tag on front of clothing" .

Have had a few items ruined in the laundry too so I am cautious about what I put in now. somehow my brown shorts came back with orange marks all over them :eek: but they were not expensive shorts so I just dealt with it.

Vickie, we're not elite quite yet but have booked a full suite for our South America cruise next year and will be able to use the laundry perk. I am thrilled but my husband is "laundry-fussy" and doesn't want his shirts or jeans anything but air dried. I've been joking that we'll be the only people in a suite using the coin operated laundry, but now you've given us a reason to do so. Why the heck would they use runny ink on their tags?

I am thrilled but my husband is "laundry-fussy" and doesn't want his shirts or jeans anything but air dried. I've been joking that we'll be the only people in a suite using the coin operated laundry, but now you've given us a reason to do so.

I also am an air dried laundry person. What I do is wash the items in the coin operated machines and then send them down to be pressed. They do such a great job with pressing.

Vickie, we're not elite quite yet but have booked a full suite for our South America cruise next year and will be able to use the laundry perk. I am thrilled but my husband is "laundry-fussy" and doesn't want his shirts or jeans anything but air dried. I've been joking that we'll be the only people in a suite using the coin operated laundry, but now you've given us a reason to do so. Why the heck would they use runny ink on their tags?

I will most likely make it to Elite at some point, but will probably still do my own laundry... I really, really, really like to do laundry! :)

We just returned from our first HAL cruise and one thing we really loved was the option to purchase the unlimited laundry package for $98 for our two week cruise. It was so worth it for our family of four. We tried to pack moderately for this trip so it was a real benefit. We usually end up doing several loads of self service laundry on a 14 day cruise, but it was such a pleasure to send our bag of laundry out and have it come back the next day clean and pressed. It was nice to return home with mostly clean clothes as opposed to bags full of dirty clothes and a full weekend of laundry. We are so close to Elite on Princess and it really makes me look forward to the day we get that black card!

No. However, I could see maybe this might happen in the future if I was doing a land base tour then a cruise, I might have some stuff that needed washing.

We did a 5 day land trip before our Canada and New England cruise. All that dirty laundry was done for us on the ship.

Archived