Food choices on Celebrity

Rustys Mom

So I have been on a diet for the last six months and want to enjoy the food on board. I do not diet on vacations! What is the best food choice that sticks in your memory? Best spot for breakfast and lunch? Anything I must try?

Barb:)

Hi there, the Aqua Spa cafe (not sure if it is on all ships) has healthy breakfast and lunch options. There are always salad bars in the buffet. You can also just ask for healthier choices in the main dining room if that is what you are after - grilled fish or chicken with steamed veges for example. They always do sugar free dessert options each night as well. But there are so many yummy things on board it could be hard to stick to a diet. Let yourself go on vacation, and get back on the diet when you get back home!

I think the OP is saying that she doesn't diet on cruises....so she is looking for the best selections while she is off her diet.

My vote for the "dont miss" items would include the waffles and/or eggs benedict in the buffet for breakfast and/or the smoked salmon.

Lunch varies with lots of choices, but if you want good pastries for dessert go to the cova cafe on 5....skip the ones served in the buffet.

If you want healthier selections then the aqua spa is a great place for meals...and actually the pastries in the aqua cafe are better then the ones in the MDR.

Don't miss the bread sticks...they are terrific; creme brule is wonderful and the onion soup in the mdr is great.

I've found that a lot of the desserts are just okay - unless you eat in specialty dining and then they have this one dessert that is my very favourite. Can't recall what it is called, but it's a mocha/coffee ice cream between these crispy cookies. Fantastic! Specialty dining also has a lemon pepper bread that is really, really good.

The Cova Cafe has some good little sandwiches and chocolate sweets at different times. They're often good (especially the croissants).

If they have the big sticky buns (cinnamon or pecan) at breakfast - grab one of those. They're not served every day so you have to watch for them. The waffles are great, but get them fresh & hot, not from the steam tray.

Having sailed and gained 10 pounds, and sailed and gained nothing, I'd say try things and if they are great then enjoy them. If they're not fantastic, just put them on the plate and find something better!

Bistro on 5 is great; free pastries and small sandwiches at Al Bacio (sp?); Qsine if you don't mind the cover charge. In the MDR, I didn't care for the Beef Wellington or Baked Alaska. I gained 7 pounds, so I found a lot I did care for, though!

Sent from my SGH-T859 using Tapatalk 2

Waffles with berries and whipped cream, crisp bacon on the side. Yum! we mostly eat lunch at the Aqua Spa cafe which is usually very good. Don't miss the ice cream bar in the buffet area, candies to go with it too. I just enjoy all the food and usually gain weight which I get rid of when I come home.

If you're on a ship with Qsine, the "secret" dessert and the chocolate "log" dessert are to die for.

Tuscan Grille - the creme brulee

the goat cheese tart in Murano or the equivalent specialty dining room

Diet or no diet, the fat free/sugar free frozen desserts such as the passionfruit ice cream and other tropical flavors are GREAT. Found in the ice cream bar area by the buffet and/or the dinner menus every night. I avoided the fat free/sugar free desserts for several cruises thinking they might be tasteless. Sooooo wrong.

Lamb shanks

Nutella crepe with bananas at Bistro on Five

Make your own yummy salad at the Oceanview cafe (buffet) by getting your own lettuce mixture from several places - fill your plate with it. Then grab a grilled chicken breast from the sandwich line. Then get the guy at the caesar salad station to top your own salad with the dressing, and add freshly shaved Parmesan, croutons and bacon pieces. On a two-week cruise I probably eat this 5 times at lunch.

My husband swears the bolognese sauce is his favorite anywhere.

I love the MDR onion soup and the Tuscan Grill onion soup - you can get those pretty much anywhere.

I love to have fresh raspberries in a bowl - just ask!!! - and get either vanilla ice cream or vanilla yogurt on top - and mix in some granola if you want.

Breadsticks!!!! I could eat 25 of them before dinner even starts.

Hot chocolate at Cafe Bacio. Best outside on deck in Alaska!

Just polled DW about her favorite foods on X and we both agreed we really do not have any particular favorite. However, the most memorable meal we had on X (and just about any other line) was in Qsine. Like many others we also like their Escargot and I also enjoy their French Onion Soup (normal dishes done well).

Hank

So I have been on a diet for the last six months and want to enjoy the food on board. I do not diet on vacations! What is the best food choice that sticks in your memory? Best spot for breakfast and lunch? Anything I must try?

Barb:)

I really like the buffet for breakfast and lunch. There are so many choices so it is easy to find great things to eat regardless of whether you are eating healthy or not.

If this is your first trip on a Celebrity M class ship then before you eat your first breakfast or lunch be sure to walk completely around the buffet area in a circle going from one side of the main entrance around the back and up to the front on the other side. There are many serving stations which have a variety of foods. Many people just get in the line at the front which is the busiest and they end up waiting in the longest line for limited options. I've run into people on cruises who discovered something served at a station towards the back at the end of the cruise and were sorry they missed it earlier.

Before lunch we'd sometimes go on the "lunch tour" checking out what was being served at the Aqua Spa buffet (in the spa area on the other side of the pool from the main buffet), the pool grill, and all the areas around the buffet before deciding what to get.

My personal breakfast and lunch favorites:

Breakfast: Omelettes made to order, the poached egg/eggs benedict station, English back bacon, or some mornings just yogurt and cereal with fruit.

Lunch: Salad bar, burgers from pool grill (surprisingly good), Indian curries, pasta station.

Dinner: There are lots of great entrees in any and all of the dining rooms. The fillet at Tuscan Grill, the entrees at Muranos (Olympic on Millennium). My favorite dish at the main dining room is probably the rack of lamb which has a great seasoning on it I've not had at any other restaurants. There are lots of other great dishes too. Unfortunately it always seems like some nights there are several great entrees to choose from and some there is nothing that sounds good - but there is always the every night selections!

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Pistachio creme brûlée from Tuscan Grille

2668216960104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Chocolate tombstone at Qsine

2930557300104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Nutella crepe at Bistro on Five

2132552270104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

Coconut creme brûlée at Blu

2425457920104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

And my favorite dessert ever - at Normandie (chocolate valhrona with salted caramel ice cream)

2291178120104945102S600x600Q85.jpg

I am always watching my weight, but on a cruise I give in to some yummy foods. I do not like to exercise, but try to walk around the walking deck for about a mile once a day.

My favorite food is the escargot. The butter, garlic sauce is fabulous. I ate it a two times, then it disappeared from the menu (shortage) on our last cruise. They are back on the menu. Worth the calories. Couple things I do: Stay away from the croissants. You can eat two or three without thinking and they are very high in calories. The bread sticks are excellent and and less calories than the rolls on the table. We always ask for extra bread sticks. On one cruise we had bread sticks and no bread on the table.

My DH is diabetic and he asks for and gets a special sugar free dessert every night. You need to ask for it the day before. He loves sugar free apple pie.

Celebrity really takes care of you. There is plenty of sugar free desserts on the buffet. I also love the pizza, but try not to eat it every day. If you have no will power, do breakfast at the MDR or at the Aqua Spa.

If you are dieting you know what to stay away from. Sometimes the buffet can be deadly.

Good luck! :)

I'm with you, OP! I have been on a diet (with varying degrees of sticking-to-it) since Thanksgiving and have lost over 60 lbs. with a little less than 10 left to goal. Booking a cruise will hopefully motivate me to buckle down and get those last 10 off so I can enjoy myself on the cruise!

I'm definitely not going to try to stick to my diet while onboard, although I think I"ll try to do what my son did on the cruise I took with him last year: eat in the MDR as much as possible and stay away from the buffet; since you know all of the items on the menu will be delicious, choose the healthiest options on offer for each meal (unless there is a "must-have" option!); don't waste calories on sodas or smoothies or the like but stick to unsweetened tea, coffee, and water.

And of course take the stairs instead of the elevators!

And expect to hop back on the diet for a few weeks once you get back to take off the extra weight you accumulate onboard--or diet below your target weight before the cruise!

I am always watching my weight, but on a cruise I give in to some yummy foods. I do not like to exercise, but try to walk around the walking deck for about a mile once a day.

My favorite food is the escargot. The butter, garlic sauce is fabulous. I ate it a two times, then it disappeared from the menu (shortage) on our last cruise. They are back on the menu. Worth the calories. Couple things I do: Stay away from the croissants. You can eat two or three without thinking and they are very high in calories. The bread sticks are excellent and and less calories than the rolls on the table. We always ask for extra bread sticks. On one cruise we had bread sticks and no bread on the table.

My DH is diabetic and he asks for and gets a special sugar free dessert every night. You need to ask for it the day before. He loves sugar free apple pie.

Celebrity really takes care of you. There is plenty of sugar free desserts on the buffet. I also love the pizza, but try not to eat it every day. If you have no will power, do breakfast at the MDR or at the Aqua Spa.

If you are dieting you know what to stay away from. Sometimes the buffet can be deadly.

Good luck! :)

Oh, and in spite of what I just posted, a daily chocolate croissant WILL be part of my diet while onboard! That is one of the things I most look forward to, calories or not. :)

I am making a list of the must trys. I am taking a notebook with information to help my old brain.I don't think I can go wrong with anything made with chocolate and I do love seafood. I plan on walking as much as possible and may have found a couple of walkers on our roll call. Thank you for the yummy suggestions and the pictures do speak for themselves. Do they post anywhere ahead what they will be serving in the dining room? It has been so long since I cruised and a different line so I can't remember.

Barb

I'm with you, OP! I have been on a diet (with varying degrees of sticking-to-it) since Thanksgiving and have lost over 60 lbs. with a little less than 10 left to goal. Booking a cruise will hopefully motivate me to buckle down and get those last 10 off so I can enjoy myself on the cruise!

I'm definitely not going to try to stick to my diet while onboard, although I think I"ll try to do what my son did on the cruise I took with him last year: eat in the MDR as much as possible and stay away from the buffet; since you know all of the items on the menu will be delicious, choose the healthiest options on offer for each meal (unless there is a "must-have" option!); don't waste calories on sodas or smoothies or the like but stick to unsweetened tea, coffee, and water.

And of course take the stairs instead of the elevators!

And expect to hop back on the diet for a few weeks once you get back to take off the extra weight you accumulate onboard--or diet below your target weight before the cruise!

Congratulations on losing 60lbs, what an achievement! I wish I had your resolve

Good luck on reaching your 70lb goal

You can have anything as long as you do it in moderation. You have to think about how long it takes to lose 10 lbs and then decide is it worth it to eat alot for a week and then have to lose those 10lbs again.

I am making a list of the must trys. I am taking a notebook with information to help my old brain.I don't think I can go wrong with anything made with chocolate and I do love seafood. I plan on walking as much as possible and may have found a couple of walkers on our roll call. Thank you for the yummy suggestions and the pictures do speak for themselves. Do they post anywhere ahead what they will be serving in the dining room? It has been so long since I cruised and a different line so I can't remember.

Barb

Hi Barb:) each day, outside of the dining room they will have

the menu posted for the following day. It is usually located on the

wall and you can see what choices for dinner are being offered.

Barb

The daily menus are posted outside the MDR and Blu earlier in the day. I have heard you can ask to see them the Night before too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it might sound "diet" like but - there's a chicken breast on the "everyday" menu in the MDR that i loved, and ended up getting each time I didn't really care for any of that nights specials. It was SO juicy - not dried out at all, very nice. I want to say it was a rosemary chicken or something, but I could be wrong - whatever it was it was good.

As for indulging --- i eat waffles every morning in the oceanview. LOVE waffles on vacation. It's pretty much the only time I eat them these days lol. So good. Bacon too.

Oh and in the Oceanview - the Peanutbutter cookies were my downfall - and I didn't even really care for them until my last cruise! LOL.

OK - now I can't wait for October, esp since I've been dieting LOL. Hope i dont gain the 10 back that I've lost!

You definitely won't go hungry on X. I'm a picky eater and I had no problems.

Archived