Fantasy itinerary for Prinsendam

TiogaCruiser

This is fantasy: let's say you get called on to design an itinerary for Prinsendam.

You can have her sail wherever you want.

1) You don't have to worry about fuel costs, sales appeal to others, politics, ( this really is fantasy) its your trip.

2) you choose the weather and season.

3) You must have a start and end port.

4) if applicable, you choose entertainers.

So, what's your dream itinerary?

We set sail from NYC (Boston would be fine, too) on a round-trip cruise. Then head north with a stops in Bar Harbor, St. Johns, Halifax, a couple of ports in Newfoundland (each direction) , two ports in Greenland, a scenic day in Prins Christian Sund.

There would be a balance of sea and port days, with no more than two consecutive of either.

I figure the cruise to go somewhere between 17-20 days, in July or August. If anyone wants to make this longer, and head over to Iceland for a port or two before heading back, that's all right, too.

My itinerary leaves Vancouver or Seattle and goes up BC inside passage during daylight hours ( so the Seymour narrows transit is by day). It stops in Juneau for a long port call ( arriving by 7:00 and leaving after 9:00, leaving time for a trip to Tracy arm or a long hike :)). It then goes to Petersberg ( where we tender in), up to Skagway for a long day call ( the weather is clear up the Lynn canal), then over to glacier bay for a full day of scenic cruising. Next we cross the gulf and spend two days poking around prince william sound. We cruise college fiords. On to anchorage and the trip up cook inlet. It is near the end of June and we have more daylight and clear skies than we know what to do with. We spend a full day and overnight in anchorage. Then midday head back out cook. On to homer for a full day, over to Dutch Harbor. We catch kodiak on the return. Then cross the Gulf ( and catch some sleep), spend one day at Hubbard, overnight at Sitka ( mt edgecomb is in full view) leaving the second night, catch Ketchikan and return back down the inside passage. We get a full day in Victoria to make this all legal. It takes 18-24 days. Oh, and Captain Albert is the master so we can all read about it too.

OK, pure fantasy but I would like to completely circumnavigate the Americas. Starting point would be Los Angeles (San {Pedro or Long Beach, no matter).

The voyage would head north with stops in Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco, Astoria, Seattle, Victoria, Prince Rupert, Sitka, Homer, Kodiak, Dutch Harbor, Nome, Kotzebue, Barrow, Prudhoe Bay, Kaktovik. Here, a U.S. or Canadian Coast Guard Icebreaker would join us

Herschel Island (Yukon), Tuktoyaktuk, (NWT), Kugluktuk (Nunavut), Cambridge Bay (Nunavut), Jenny Lind Island (Nunavut), Beechey Island (Nunavut), Kangerlussuaq (Greenland), Iqalut (Baffin Island), Nanortalik (Greenland), Red Bay (Labrador), Corner Brook (Newfoundland),

Charlottetown (PEI), Bar Harbor (Maine), Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Havana (wish list/fantasy), Georgetown (Cayman Islands),

San Blas Islands (Panama), Panama Canal transit, Fuerte Amador/Panama City (Panama)

Manta (Ecuador), Callao/Lima (Peru), Valparaiso (Chile), Puerto Montt (Chile), Stait of Magellan, Punta Arenas (Chile), Ushuaia (Argentina), Cape Horn, Montevideo (Uruguay), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Rio de Janeiro (Brasil), Salvador de Bahia (Brasil), Fortaleza (Brasil), Belem (Brasil), Devils Island (French Guyana), Bridgetown (Barbados), Port of Spain (Trinidad), Willemstad (Curacao), Cartagena (Columbia)

Panama Canal transit, Puntarenas (Costa Rica), Puerto Quetzal (Guatemala), Hualtulco (Mexico), Zihuatanejo (Mexico), Cabo San Lucas (Mexico), L.A.

We set sail from NYC (Boston would be fine, too) on a round-trip cruise. Then head north with a stops in Bar Harbor, St. Johns, Halifax, a couple of ports in Newfoundland (each direction) , two ports in Greenland, a scenic day in Prins Christian Sund.

There would be a balance of sea and port days, with no more than two consecutive of either.

I figure the cruise to go somewhere between 17-20 days, in July or August. If anyone wants to make this longer, and head over to Iceland for a port or two before heading back, that's all right, too.

Oh Ruth, Ruth, Ruth-----St. John's is in Newfoundland and Saint John is in New Brunswick. A number of years ago the spelling of our city was officially changed to Saint John from St. John because of the confusion between the two.

I once booked a flight from Saint John to Edmonton and was issued a ticket from St. John's. I couldn't figure out why it was such a long flight until I really studied the ticket and then had to fight to get it changed.

Out of curiosity I once checked HAL's shore excursions for Saint John and then emailed them to let them know that they had a few listed that were actually St. John's, Newfoundland excursions.

Oh Ruth, Ruth, Ruth-----St. John's is in Newfoundland and Saint John is in New Brunswick. A number of years ago the spelling of our city was officially changed to Saint John from St. John because of the confusion between the two.

We could go to both! One northbound, and the other on the way back.

I've been to St. John's (dam little finger typos; got the apostrophie in there this time. yesterday I had a "z" at the end of a word that ended in "p" :eek:) many times, but I've never been to Saint John. Not on a cruise ship, anyway; I may have been there on a bus tour, but I'm not sure. I know I was in New Brunswick on that bus.

Copper: How long would this be????

I know you have been to Port Canaveral so just wave when you go by Satellite Beach. (Colombia!) I like the ice breakers though. Hope you see polar bears before they get extinct. Watch out for global warming!!

I like the idea, Ruth, of adding Iceland and turning around and coming back to N America. I wouldn't mind Boston for a departure. NYC overnight almost cost us more than our Bermuda cruise!

On the other hand, if we could afford these cruises, we would stay at the Waldorf penthouse!

This is fantasy: let's say you get called on to design an itinerary for Prinsendam.

You can have her sail wherever you want.

1) You don't have to worry about fuel costs, sales appeal to others, politics, ( this really is fantasy) its your trip.

2) you choose the weather and season.

3) You must have a start and end port.

4) if applicable, you choose entertainers.

So, what's your dream itinerary?

None, ship needs to be retired, it's very old, pool leaks etc. Farewell to her and bring in new mid size ships...

We'd like to see the Prinsendam do a Grand World Voyage again.

If I had all the time in the world and all the money in the world - I would love to sail on her going across the Atlantic to get to Europe (no air fare:)) out of Fort Lauderdale is fine - would love to go to some great Med ports including Dubrovnik - and then head back across the ocean and do South America again.

Even better - if she docked in Saint John we could get off:D

OK, pure fantasy but I would like to completely circumnavigate the Americas. Starting point would be Los Angeles (San {Pedro or Long Beach, no matter).

The voyage would head north with stops in Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco, Astoria, Seattle, Victoria, Prince Rupert, Sitka, Homer, Kodiak, Dutch Harbor, Nome, Kotzebue, Barrow, Prudhoe Bay, Kaktovik. Here, a U.S. or Canadian Coast Guard Icebreaker would join us

Herschel Island (Yukon), Tuktoyaktuk, (NWT), Kugluktuk (Nunavut), Cambridge Bay (Nunavut), Jenny Lind Island (Nunavut), Beechey Island (Nunavut), Kangerlussuaq (Greenland), Iqalut (Baffin Island), Nanortalik (Greenland), Red Bay (Labrador), Corner Brook (Newfoundland),

Charlottetown (PEI), Bar Harbor (Maine), Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Havana (wish list/fantasy), Georgetown (Cayman Islands),

San Blas Islands (Panama), Panama Canal transit, Fuerte Amador/Panama City (Panama)

Manta (Ecuador), Callao/Lima (Peru), Valparaiso (Chile), Puerto Montt (Chile), Stait of Magellan, Punta Arenas (Chile), Ushuaia (Argentina), Cape Horn, Montevideo (Uruguay), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Rio de Janeiro (Brasil), Salvador de Bahia (Brasil), Fortaleza (Brasil), Belem (Brasil), Devils Island (French Guyana), Bridgetown (Barbados), Port of Spain (Trinidad), Willemstad (Curacao), Cartagena (Columbia)

Panama Canal transit, Puntarenas (Costa Rica), Puerto Quetzal (Guatemala), Hualtulco (Mexico), Zihuatanejo (Mexico), Cabo San Lucas (Mexico), L.A.

Count me in on this

We could go to both! One northbound, and the other on the way back.

I've been to St. John's (dam little finger typos; got the apostrophie in there this time. yesterday I had a "z" at the end of a word that ended in "p" :eek:) many times, but I've never been to Saint John. Not on a cruise ship, anyway; I may have been there on a bus tour, but I'm not sure. I know I was in New Brunswick on that bus.

Well if you do come I'll give you a private tour----that is assuming you come to the right place..:)

Ok I board in Hilo Hawaii/

ship sails Moorea, from there to Pitcairn, then Easter island, Lima 3 nights to Macchu Picchu, then through the Panama Canal to Beleze, then Aruba to New Orleans then to Savanna and New York.

From New York to Boston and then Portland , On to Bar Harbor, heading north to Iceland and over to Greenland. Heading then to the north Cape and following the coast of Norway to Amsterdam and on to St Malo in france, Then Bordeaux.. Heading south now to Funichal and then to Barbados, Back through the canal and to LA. ( pedro) Grab a pinks hot dog and a bobs Big boy

65 days

Ok I board in Hilo Hawaii/

ship sails Moorea, from there to Pitcairn, then Easter island, Lima 3 nights to Macchu Picchu, then through the Panama Canal to Beleze, then Aruba to New Orleans then to Savanna and New York.

From New York to Boston and then Portland , On to Bar Harbor, heading north to Iceland and over to Greenland. Heading then to the north Cape and following the coast of Norway to Amsterdam and on to St Malo in france, Then Bordeaux.. Heading south now to Funichal and then to Barbados, Back through the canal and to LA. ( pedro) Grab a pinks hot dog and a bobs Big boy

65 days

Now this one sounds good to me!:D Maybe we could start in San Diego and sail to Hawaii??

None, ship needs to be retired, it's very old, pool leaks etc. Farewell to her and bring in new mid size ships...

Why should she be retired when she generates a LOT of income for HAL??? No one would pay the fare she commands for any other HAL ship. That makes no sense to anyone but yourself! Why would they retire their most popular ship? (judging by the number of repeat passengers.) Leaks can be fixed. If mid size ships were the way to go (and HAL has enough of them), Oceania and Azamara (along with the Renaissance ships that went to Princess) would not be as popular and sought after as they are. If they retired her, they would have to replace her with one of similar size.

Sure, nice additions, especially Prince Christian Sund

I like this one too, but it would have to be tweaked to start in Fort Lauderdale & return to Fort Lauderdale, since DH no longer enjoys flying..

Of course would have to win the lottery to pay for this, but there is no harm in dreaming is there?:):).

What you are suggesting is blasphemy!:(:(

As Kazu said "Bite your Tongue" She too is our favorite ship & I hope HAL holds on to her for many more years..

Cheers...:)Betty

Here is mine, Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale the long way. It is the Silver Whisper world cruise, 115 days.

WB11574_WorldCruise-Image.jpg

Los Angeles, CA

Cruising Pacific Ocean

Cruising Pacific Ocean

Cross the Tropic of Cancer

Cruising Pacific Ocean

Crossing the Equator

Cruising South Pacific Ocean

Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands

Rangiroa, Tuamotu

Moorea, French Polynesia

Papeete (Tahiti), French Polynesia

Papeete (Tahiti), French Polynesia

Bora Bora, French Polynesia

Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Crossing the Tropic of Capricorn

Crossing the International Dateline

Bay of Islands, New Zealand

Auckland, New Zealand

Wellington, New Zealand

Akaroa, New Zealand

Port Chalmers (Dunedin), New Zealand

Cruising Dusky Sound; Milford Sound

Cruising Tasman Sea

Cruising Tasman Sea

Hobart, Tasmania

Port Arthur, Tasmania*

Cruising Tasman Sea

Sydney, Australia

Cruising Bass Strait

Melbourne, Australia

Cruising Great Australian Bight

Adelaide, Australia

Cruising Great Australian Bight

Cruising Indian Ocean

Albany, Australia

Fremantle (Perth), Australia

Fremantle (Perth), Australia

Cruising Indian Ocean

Cruising Java Sea

Tanah Ampo (Bali), Indonesia

Cruising Java Sea

Crossing the Equator

Sandakan (Borneo), Malaysia

Cruising Sulu Sea

Manila, Philippines

Cruising South China Sea

Hong Kong, China

Hong Kong, China

Cruising South China Sea

Chan May, Vietnam

Cruising South China Sea

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Cruising Gulf of Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand

Cruising Gulf of Thailand

Singapore

Singapore

Port Kelang (Kuala Lumpur), Malaysia

Penang, Malaysia

Phuket, Thailand

Sabang, Indonesia

Cruising Andaman Sea

Cruising Bay of Bengal

Colombo, Sri Lanka

Cochin, India

Cochin, India

Cruising Laccadive Sea

Malé, Maldives

Crossing the Equator

Cruising Indian Ocean

Cruising Indian Ocean

Cruising Indian Ocean

Port Louis, Mauritius

Pointe des Galets, Reunion

Tolagnaro, Madagascar

Cruising Indian Ocean

Cruising Indian Ocean

Maputo, Mozambique

Richards Bay, South Africa

Durban, South Africa

East London, South Africa

Cruising Indian Ocean

Cape Town, South Africa

Cape Town, South Africa

Walvis Bay, Namibia

Walvis Bay, Namibia

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Crossing the Equator

São Tome & Principe

Limbé, Cameroon

Cruising Bight of Benin

Takoradi, Ghana

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Banjul, The Gambia

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Mindelo, São Vincente

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Cruising Atlantic Ocean

Bridgetown, Barbados

Roseau, Dominica

St. Thomas, USVI

Crossing the Tropic of Cancer

Cruising Straits of Florida

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Why should she be retired when she generates a LOT of income for HAL??? No one would pay the fare she commands for any other HAL ship. That makes no sense to anyone but yourself! Why would they retire their most popular ship? (judging by the number of repeat passengers.) Leaks can be fixed. If mid size ships were the way to go (and HAL has enough of them), Oceania and Azamara (along with the Renaissance ships that went to Princess) would not be as popular and sought after as they are. If they retired her, they would have to replace her with one of similar size.

Come on she 25 yrs old and is coming apart along with the Statendam, they should be sold and replaced by new ones but not with ones that carries 7000pax...

My itinerary leaves Vancouver or Seattle and goes up BC inside passage during daylight hours ( so the Seymour narrows transit is by day). It stops in Juneau for a long port call ( arriving by 7:00 and leaving after 9:00, leaving time for a trip to Tracy arm or a long hike :)). It then goes to Petersberg ( where we tender in), up to Skagway for a long day call ( the weather is clear up the Lynn canal), then over to glacier bay for a full day of scenic cruising. Next we cross the gulf and spend two days poking around prince william sound. We cruise college fiords. On to anchorage and the trip up cook inlet. It is near the end of June and we have more daylight and clear skies than we know what to do with. We spend a full day and overnight in anchorage. Then midday head back out cook. On to homer for a full day, over to Dutch Harbor. We catch kodiak on the return. Then cross the Gulf ( and catch some sleep), spend one day at Hubbard, overnight at Sitka ( mt edgecomb is in full view) leaving the second night, catch Ketchikan and return back down the inside passage. We get a full day in Victoria to make this all legal. It takes 18-24 days. Oh, and Captain Albert is the master so we can all read about it too.

:DI'd settle for this too. Would like to see Copper John as a lecturer - I'm sure he has some interesting HAL stories. He would not work as security on this cruise. I could happily settle for the ship's original Capt., Captain Gunderson.:D

Archived