Upgrade Fairy LIVES!!

Hawkeye1946

We've had upgrades/upsells before...but not like this!!

We booked a Cat. F Guaranty for our upcoming cruise. Got our assignment yesterday afternoon - to a Cat. C. I was pretty disappointed; although I know I can't expect a great upgrade from the original category. Plus, the cabin assigned was a connecting one. It was too late in the day to call HAL. But, guess who visited overnight .....the upgrade/upsell fairy:D:D

For a mere $99 per person, we are now in a VA...............YIPPEE!

Sue

We've had upgrades/upsells before...but not like this!!

We booked a Cat. F Guaranty for our upcoming cruise. Got our assignment yesterday afternoon - to a Cat. C. I was pretty disappointed; although I know I can't expect a great upgrade from the original category. Plus, the cabin assigned was a connecting one. It was too late in the day to call HAL. But, guess who visited overnight .....the upgrade/upsell fairy:D:D

For a mere $99 per person, we are now in a VA...............YIPPEE!

Sue

Got to love those fairies. Congratulations.

Canadianbear.....The last couple of cruises I've used a PCC. Rightly or

wrongly, I feel I have more control than with using a TA (and I was a TA in my former life;)).

Lorekauf....We've had some pretty nasty issues with HAL, but we keep going back to them. I was hoping against hope for a VH. Also, I was hoping 3star status would make a difference. We got lucky!

Sue

Canadianbear.....The last couple of cruises I've used a PCC. Rightly or

wrongly, I feel I have more control than with using a TA (and I was a TA in my former life;)).

Lorekauf....We've had some pretty nasty issues with HAL, but we keep going back to them. I was hoping against hope for a VH. Also, I was hoping 3star status would make a difference. We got lucky!

Sue

That would be a big upgrade that would be very rare. I'm a 4 star and I've only been upgraded maybe twice from and inside to and outside. I've never gone from outside to balcony and I've had my fair share of issues too. I think newbies do better. You got a smokin' upsell. Have a wonderful cruise.

That would be a big upgrade that would be very rare. I'm a 4 star and I've only been upgraded maybe twice from and inside to and outside. I've never gone from outside to balcony and I've had my fair share of issues too. I think newbies do better. You got a smokin' upsell. Have a wonderful cruise.

I really do not think your star status make one iota of difference with guarentee assignments. It seems to be about how much you pay, period.

HAL is cutting prices left and right and assignments seem to be following the same pattern. You often are assigned to the category that you paid for after all the price cutting has been taken into account.

As for newbies doing better with assignments: we book guarentees exclusively and generally we did better when we were between 120 and 300 days on HAL. Ship Inventory is not one of the HAL departments that buys into the star system. Best pricing and best assignments go to newer to HAL pax.

Hope the OP has a wonderful cruise!

I really do not think your star status make one iota of difference with guarentee assignments. It seems to be about how much you pay, period.

HAL is cutting prices left and right and assignments seem to be following the same pattern. You often are assigned to the category that you paid for after all the price cutting has been taken into account.

As for newbies doing better with assignments: we book guarentees exclusively and generally we did better when we were between 120 and 300 days on HAL. Ship Inventory is not one of the HAL departments that buys into the star system. Best pricing and best assignments go to newer to HAL pax.

Hope the OP has a wonderful cruise!

I don't know what the formula is. One my last cruise on HAL (Apr 2012) everyone that had guarantees all went up the food chain the same amount. I'm a 4 star, some had a few HAL cruises, some were newbies and many got a cheapie deal. I don't think money paid has anything to do with it but I could be very wrong. Based on that cruise it sure didn't seem like it.

We're new to HAL cruising on the 14th. We booked an F (large window outside). I later spotted a "Special" price for gty VH and had our TA move us to that category since it was now less money than we paid for the original room. (And it was after final payment. )

Today we got our assignment...VA. Not bad for never sailing HAL before. Lots of people on our cruise were upgraded in some way. THis New Eng./Canada cruise really didn't sell well, I guess.:rolleyes:

Congratulations! We booked a guarantee G and got 4092, which is about the worst obstructed view on the ship. I called our TA and she checked and got us a VH for $149 each extra. We are happy with that, but not happy that we weren't offered an upgrade when we booked several months ago and paid before the deadline. I have done the Alaska cruise before on the Amsterdam, so only one star. Looking forward to our cruise in 9 days!

I don't know what the formula is. One my last cruise on HAL (Apr 2012) everyone that had guarantees all went up the food chain the same amount. I'm a 4 star, some had a few HAL cruises, some were newbies and many got a cheapie deal. I don't think money paid has anything to do with it but I could be very wrong. Based on that cruise it sure didn't seem like it.

Who knows?

On one cruise there were 3 couples, who booked, totally separately, with the same agency, same price, same MM guarentee. We all got GG. One couple had about 970 days, one had 380 days and the other about 125 days. Price? Category? Agency? Beats me, but I would go for price in this case.

We booked an HH on the Oosterdam to Alaska leaving in a few weeks. Two days ago we got an offer for an upgrade for $199PP to a VA! We've never had a veranda before so I'm super excited. They also sent us ANOTHER offer today for another $199PP to a SZ, but we didn't bite. :)

Archived