Top Deck of the New Royal Princess

Pia1913

I really like the looks of the pool area: love the palm trees and the upholstered furniture under ceiling fans -- it all looks very resort-y. However, and I really hate to say this, but the poolside loungers look closely related to the new balcony furniture that people said was so uncomfortable. That would be unwelcome, if so. And I had to laugh at Martin Hall saying they expected passengers to "interact" with the water fountains. As in, they expect them to be a magnet for every kid on the ship, most likely . . .

(And I still say that the pools look very small for a ship this size -- as in, they don't look any larger than the current Neptune+Calypso pools. But I know the cheer squad is on its way out to beat me up for daring to say anything negative, so I'll shut up for now.)

(And I still say that the pools look very small for a ship this size -- as in, they don't look any larger than the current Neptune+Calypso pools. But I know the cheer squad is on its way out to beat me up for daring to say anything negative, so I'll shut up for now.)
I'm not part of the cheer squad, but we really don't use the area by the pools so no biggie for us. Now the adult's only Retreat Pool looks interesting, even in the "cheep seats" behind the extra cost cabanas.

Hi,

I enjoyed this video and think the top decks look interesting (especially the SeaWalk and the fountains). I am looking forward to sailing on her maiden voyage in June.

Chuck

Actually, the seawalk makes me nauseous even looking at the video. Not sure that I will venture out there. Heights don't bother me, it's having an "open" ocean under me.

Not to sound like a sourpuss (OK, to sound like a sourpuss) but seems like more sizzle than steak. I like dancing fountains. Twenty minutes of watching them? Fun. Eighteen nights? Not so much. And the Skywalk? Wow. I can just imagine spending hours and hours standing there, right?

I do wonder how the musical fountains and MUTS will fit together...or not.

Can we have the aft pools and promenade back now, please?

(Hi, Pia :) )

I really like the looks of the pool area: love the palm trees and the upholstered furniture under ceiling fans -- it all looks very resort-y. However, and I really hate to say this, but the poolside loungers look closely related to the new balcony furniture that people said was so uncomfortable. That would be unwelcome, if so. And I had to laugh at Martin Hall saying they expected passengers to "interact" with the water fountains. As in, they expect them to be a magnet for every kid on the ship, most likely . . .

I have to agree with you so maybe we can take on the cheer squad together.;) I also have to add that I am concerned about M.U.T.S being an issue taking over the entire pool area. I prefer it the way it is on the Grand class ships. I also think that along with the chair hogs there will be sea walk hogs. All I can imagine is a big line up to ahhh! and ewww!

Not to sound like a sourpuss (OK, to sound like a sourpuss) but seems like more sizzle than steak. I like dancing fountains. Twenty minutes of watching them? Fun. Eighteen nights? Not so much. And the Skywalk? Wow. I can just imagine spending hours and hours standing there, right?

Oh, I'd agree that the dancing fountains and Skywalk are just gimmicks... But now if the floor under the SeaView bar is also glass... you can guess where you'll find me... :p

After watching the video I am left with two thoughts:

1. Those balcony cabins directly underneath the Skywalk might be horrible for privacy. Not only will people be walking over and above your balcony and looking directly down -- they not only will have a direct view of the balcony, but it looks like you will need to keep the drapes closed at night since from the video it appears that they will also have a direct view into the staterooms.

2. No matter how pretty, I am thinking that those 30 foot water jets combined with the winds while the ship is moving will cause quite a spray. Are they going to block off part of the upper deck as "splash zones"?

But it sure is a pretty ship...

1. Those balcony cabins directly underneath the Skywalk might be horrible for privacy. Not only will people be walking over and above your balcony and looking directly down -- they not only will have a direct view of the balcony, but it looks like you will need to keep the drapes closed at night since from the video it appears that they will also have a direct view into the staterooms.

Exactly my point when I started a thread around noon today:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1713412

2. No matter how pretty, I am thinking that those 30 foot water jets combined with the winds while the ship is moving will cause quite a spray. Are they going to block off part of the upper deck as "splash zones"?

But it sure is a pretty ship...

It's gorgeous. But I, too, wondered about the spray from those fountains. That water is NOT going to go straight up! Picture the weight of the body of water in a pool, and that often sprays and splashes while the ship is underway. Chilly nights- water spraying. Not a great combination.

It's gorgeous. But I, too, wondered about the spray from those fountains. That water is NOT going to go straight up! Picture the weight of the body of water in a pool, and that often sprays and splashes while the ship is underway. Chilly nights- water spraying. Not a great combination.

I've already seen 'fountains' of water splashing up from the pools while watching a movie on MUTS when the ocean gets rough. That created enough of a spray to require closing the doors underneath the screen.

The spray will probably be even worse with jets of water shooting up into the air...will they provide raincoats/hats with the blankets...lol :p

Actually, the seawalk makes me nauseous even looking at the video. Not sure that I will venture out there. Heights don't bother me, it's having an "open" ocean under me.

Have you ever been on the glass walkway on the sky tower in Auckland?

1394819191_06401_03.04AucklandSkyTowerM14-07-5A.jpg.abca97cdd56db8ccac4f6cbfd17a50e1.jpg

505538833_06501_05.04Glasswalkway51stfloorSkyTowerP1040027.jpg.ecf15096185c6649ae4b3cd56bd8d317.jpg

Hi All,

While very happy to be going on her maiden cruise,

I wonder about the large open top deck,

OK loads of different seating options along the sides to sit have a drink and chat,

but will we, its it not going to just be full of noise, kids playing, muts, folks chat getting louder and lounder to make your self heard, just think what happens in the dining room.

Now adults only area is going to be massive, but will the demand for it also be massive,

has the money men seen away to drive more business to it.

as to sky walk, the third ship is going to P&O but not skywalk etc,

so if such a great feature why only on the first two ships.

I like the views, the idea of standing above the sea etc

time will tell if Princess has got it right my view, folks will love the new ship

it will sail full and will make money, will it be loved by those with a long history with Princess, I expect not all with love her.

yours Shogun

Does this mean you are canceling your Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Royal Princess?

Does this mean you are canceling your Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Royal Princess?

No, of course not. I just don't plan to spend every evening ogling the miracle of the dancing fountains.

And as I've said elsewhere, I'm glad I'll still have a choice of other Princess ships for warm-weather itineraries, where aft pools and such are more important to me. From what I've seen, the Royal will be a lovely ship for an Atlantic crossing.

Do we think the skywalk will be a factor in anyone - anyone - deciding to book the Royal?

No, of course not. I just don't plan to spend every evening ogling the miracle of the dancing fountains.

Does that mean you are not in awe at Bellagio LV? ;)

Do we think the skywalk will be a factor in anyone - anyone - deciding to book the Royal?

No..

(Hi S. :) See you soon)

No, but it will be one of several unique features that will make the Royal different from the competition and a change from past Princess designs that many have posted should be changed for the future.

Archived