Elite - Dress Code

AMTDGT

[quote name='chamima']This doesn't appear to be one person's definition but a corporate decision. :([/QUOTE]

We were on Silly in June and never did see anything like that letter. Assuming that on the Sept. cruise that letter was provided, that does not mean it was a Celebrity Cruise Line letter. It could have been only for that specific cruise/ship and prepared and provided by that one person who is trying to control too much.
Personally, I believe that is still ridiculous! Has anyone else seen a letter like this on any other X ship/cruise?
Here are two examples of a sandal. Does this mean I could not wear something like this?
Get serious X. LOL
This is the definition of a sandal:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandal[/url]
So, we need clarification of what sandal is not allowed.

[quote name='kyriecat']Here is a copy of the letter that I received onboard Silhouette. I figured how to scan and compress it small enough to upload here. The dress code is in red text near the bottom of the page.

I didn't ask who determines the dress code - Celebrity corporate, the Captain's Club host/hostess, Hotel Director, Ship Captain, etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the letter. However, like you said - who determines the dress code? This subject has been discussed before and no one seems to know in regards to the CC Elite events.
There is no way that a CC Hostess should determine a different dress code/requirements/suggestions that differs from X Cruise Line policy. JMHO!

Inmtheae cases, just politely tell the hostess that you are entering anyway and that she can call her supervisor.
Most women's shoes for summer are open, even formal ones. Do not accept ridiculous rules. it makes you as ridiculous by complying.

It seems to me that the line between sandals and formal shoes in ladies footware is pretty hard to define. My wife has shoes that look like what someone might call sandals that she wears with formal attire. Black with rhinestones but shaped like sandals ... how do they determine what's what?

... Cal

[quote name='cal516']It seems to me that the line between sandals and formal shoes in ladies footware is pretty hard to define. My wife has shoes that look like what someone might call sandals that she wears with formal attire. Black with rhinestones but shaped like sandals ... how do they determine what's what?

... Cal[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you! That ws the point of my previous posting with the definition link to sandals.

When we (me, my SIL, my niece, my mom) were told "no sandals" for the social hour it was on the first night. That was the only night we had this discussion with the hostess... my mom didn't have any closed shoes and the rest of us only had sneakers. She let us in and that was the end of it. It wasn't an issue the rest of the cruise. I am NOT bringing closed toe shoes next week.... curious to see if the "no sandals" thing is going to be on the no-no list.

[quote name='MEcruzr']When we (me, my SIL, my niece, my mom) were told "no sandals" for the social hour it was on the first night. That was the only night we had this discussion with the hostess... my mom didn't have any closed shoes and the rest of us only had sneakers. She let us in and that was the end of it. It wasn't an issue the rest of the cruise. I am NOT bringing closed toe shoes next week.... curious to see if the "no sandals" thing is going to be on the no-no list.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]Please come back and report on your experience. Thanks! Have a great cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sjb317']We are leaving tomorrow for our first Celebrity cruise and I must admit, I'm now a little concerned about what I have packed. With the exception of my work out shoes, all of my shoes are either sandals, flipflops or open toed heels. I guess my workout shoes will look really good with my capris, oh wait, I may get kicked out for the capris:D

Sherri:)[/QUOTE]

Also, Sherri, please let us know what your experience was.

I must say I am mystified by this whole thing. They can't possibly mean that women's dressy high-heeled sandals are not allowed. I'm pretty sure on my recent Celebrity cruises I have worn both dressy capris and open shoes at the Elite lounge and nothing was said. In fact, I'm quite sure I didn't bring any closed shoes on our recent Caribbean cruise.

My guess would be that they are trying to discourage [I]men[/I] from wearing sandals. I don't think I've ever seen a men's sandal that I would consider "dressy". How the dress code is worded, interpreted and enforced is another thing and ideally, should not vary from ship to ship or hostess to hostess.

I am a woman and it seemed to me that no sandals applied to everyone.

I saw the hostess at breakfast on the second morning of the cruise. She mentioned that she hadn't seen me at the social hour. I replied that all my dressy shoes were sandals so I couldn't attend. She said she was sorry to hear that I only had sandals because they do enforce the dress code. She then asked if I had any shoes that weren't open toe. I said the only ones I had were tennis shoes. She kind-of giggled and said she supposed I could wear those, then added that some of the shops onboard sell women's shoes.

It seemed to me if dressy, strappy, open-toe shoes were allowed, she would have said that I could attend the social hour wearing them. Since she asked about other shoe options and suggested I purchase some, I figured that meant my sandals, no matter how dressy, were not allowed. I wasn't going to purchase new shoes or wear tennis shoes just so I could get attend a few elite events. My sandals were fine for all the other venues and attending the elite events was not that important to me.

ADDED: Since this was my first Celebrity cruise with elite status, I assumed that the no sandals thing was well-known among elite members and I had missed noting it.

[quote name='kyriecat']I am a woman and it seemed to me that no sandals applied to everyone.

I saw the hostess at breakfast on the second morning of the cruise. She mentioned that she hadn't seen me at the social hour. I replied that all my dressy shoes were sandals so I couldn't attend. She said she was sorry to hear that I only had sandals because they do enforce the dress code. She then asked if I had any shoes that weren't open toe. I said the only ones I had were tennis shoes. She kind-of giggled and said she supposed I could wear those, then added that some of the shops onboard sell women's shoes.

It seemed to me if dressy, strappy, open-toe shoes were allowed, she would have said that I could attend the social hour wearing them. Since she asked about other shoe options and suggested I purchase some, I figured that meant my sandals, no matter how dressy, were not allowed. I wasn't going to purchase new shoes or wear tennis shoes just so I could get attend a few elite events. My sandals were fine for all the other venues and attending the elite events was not that important to me.

ADDED: Since this was my first Celebrity cruise with elite status, I assumed that the no sandals thing was well-known among elite members and I had missed noting it.[/QUOTE]

All I can say is that I hope I'm never on a cruise with that hostess! :(
(She seems to be one of those people that, given a little authority, can't figure out how to intelligently interpret the written word.)
The fact that she didn't apologize to you (and welcome you to attend future events) and had the NERVE to suggest you purchase shoes just to fit into her perceived notion of acceptability is awful. :mad:

Indeed - that hostess needs a fashion intervention as well as a lesson in tact and customer service!!
the intention of the sandal prohibition is clearly to exclude casual type shoes and attire. There are many types of "sandals", and I probably own most of them:)
I'm sure this is not to encourage people to wear Crocs, keenes or sneakers with their dresses but to discourage shorts and casual sandals.
Wow, I thought there couldn't be more dress code topics to discuss but this one is a doozy!!!

[quote name='kyriecat']Here is a copy of the letter that I received onboard Silhouette...[/quote]Thanks, we now know who the guilty party is and when I say guilty I am referring to the Hostess who signed the letter, not those who thought fancy sandals were appropriate evening wear. Is she new in the job? I sure don't think I've seen the name in the current Best Captain's Club Host/ess thread.

I can't believe this rediculous policy interpretation will not be changed prior to the Silhouette arriving in the Caribbean, if not way before.

Thom

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]I doubt seriously if any women bring closed-toe shoes on a Caribbean cruise (or a Mediterranean cruise, for that matter). With the exception of walking shoes, maybe. Which, in my opinion, are not appropriate footwear for the Elite event.

Someone needs to have a conversation with Celebrity about this inappropriate hostess.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Well this is just silly to exclude open to shoes and surely whoever wrote the rule meant Tevas not strappy sandals.

We were Elite on our last cruise and I wore some sort of heeled sandal almost every night. I think I would tend to be like the lady who said that she was entering anyway that she'd be glad to talk to her supervisor. Not the way I'd like to handle things, but it would work.

I'm also glad to learn, now, that my kids won't be able to join us during the cocktail hour. We usually enjoy conversation (not drinks) with our kids (Now Teens) before dinner, and it looks like we'll need to find another venue for that, but since we know, we'll plan for that. They may be able to attend teen club activities at that time or use that time to dress for dinner.

We are trying Select Dining this time because of the cocktail hour because we felt 8:30 was just too late after the 5-7 cocktail hour.

Sorry - did not mean to start a dress code debate. :o I hate those! I was just posting the letter and my recent experience to help those who might not know about sandals. It sounds like no sandals is only on Silhouette and probably a recent change.

Silhouette was only my second Celebrity cruise. I was granted elite status because of my diamond plus status in RC's C&A. It wasn't something I earned from multiple X sailings so I'm not that familiar with X's rules. Plus, I did not read every email and document that X sent me regarding my sailing. The elite dress code for Silhouette might have been stated somewhere and simply I didnt read it.

I don't want anyone to think that I was pining away in my cabin because of shoes or think that not going to some elite events ruined my vacation. My husband and I LOVED Silhouette and would sail again in a hearbeat. We had so much to do that not attending the elite events didn't bother me one bit. We probably would only have attended a couple cocktail hours anyway since they are so early. Most port days we didn't get back onboard until after 5. By the time we got cleaned up and dressed, there would only be a few minutes left for cocktails.

Some of you are probably correct - when I said my dressy shoes were sandals, the hostess envisioned tevas or crocs when I meant strappy, open-toe heels. Personally, I would rather see someone show up in tennis shoes than crocs! I've always called any strappy shoe from flip-flops to kitten-heel slides as "sandals." Maybe we need a new name for "formal" sandals to be less confusing.

Since I didn't bother to show up at any elite events in my dressy sandals, I guess we'll never know if I would have been admitted. It sounded to me like I wouldn't have been allowed, which would have made me mad. Rather than subject myself to that situation, I decided to attend other events where I knew my strappy shoes would be welcomed. :D:p;)

Hopefully someone else from Silhouette will report back on the sandal situation.

Dear Library Lady- I know that you just got off the Summit and I will be on it in Nov. This is my first Celebrity cruise and will be elite- did you have any problems at the elite party? I am planning on wearing high heeled open sandals with a big flower on it - you know the newest stye. Will I be able to get into the elite happy hour? Also- we are dining in Blu- so smart casual for the week. Can my husband go to the captains party without a jacket? Iam used to RC and there usually not strict on the dress code. Also on RC- alot of people wear bathing suits with nice cover ups to breakfast and lunch- is this acceptable at the buffet? dinig room? Going in 3 weeks- need to be prepared;) I dont want to be kicked out of anywhere!!

[quote name='AMTDGT']Our up coming cruise will be out first as Elite.
As I began the packing this morning, I remembered the afternoon Elite cocktail social. What is the dress code for that event. I'm assuming bathing suits are out, the question really is whether dress shorts are fine.

Thx[/quote]

If you have reached Elite status then you know better than to ask such a question. I would like to think you are pulling someones chain. Lol...:D

We're just getting off the Century this morning. :(

The only footwear not allowed was flip flops. DW avoids heels on a moving ship and also brings no closed shoes, other than tennis shoes.

We did see a man asked to leave in jean shorts and a t shirt.

[COLOR=blue]We're just getting off the Century this morning. :(

The only footwear not allowed was flip flops. DW avoids heels on a moving ship and also brings no closed shoes, other than tennis shoes.

We did see a man asked to leave in jean shorts and a t shirt.[/COLOR]

Alison- did you see any ladies in nice capries with open toe nice sandals? Julie

Of course if it's OK for women to wear dressy sandals then it should be OK for guys too. You'd want them to be appropriate, but there are tons of guys' sandals that, especially in many cultures, could be worn with suits.

Tom

[quote name='Happy Cruiser 6143'][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]I doubt seriously if any women bring closed-toe shoes on a Caribbean cruise (or a Mediterranean cruise, for that matter). With the exception of walking shoes, maybe. Which, in my opinion, are not appropriate footwear for the Elite event.

Someone needs to have a conversation with Celebrity about this inappropriate hostess.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[quote name='kyriecat']Sorry - did not mean to start a dress code debate. :o I hate those!..[/quote]Things almost guaranteed to start a debate are dress code, smoking and tipping [I'm sure there are others].

However I see NO debate here, but rather unanamous agreement that this Hostess' interpretation of policy was rediculous.

Thom

[quote name='jamin jul'][COLOR=blue]We're just getting off the Century this morning. :(

We did see a man asked to leave in jean shorts and a t shirt.[/COLOR]

Alison- did you see any ladies in nice capries with open toe nice sandals? Julie[/QUOTE]

Besides me? Yes, plenty :)

Archived