Elite - Dress Code

AMTDGT

[quote name='Happy Cruiser 6143'][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]I doubt seriously if any women bring closed-toe shoes on a Caribbean cruise (or a Mediterranean cruise, for that matter). With the exception of walking shoes, maybe. Which, in my opinion, are not appropriate footwear for the Elite event.

Someone needs to have a conversation with Celebrity about this inappropriate hostess.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Hi Linda,

I just found this thread this morning; and, I am stunned to learn about this "sandal policy"!! Walking sneakers and dressy sandals are all I ever bring on our cruises. I have never been denied access to the Elite Cocktail hour wearing my gold, silver or jeweled sandals.

Carolyn

[quote name='MRSBITS']Hi Linda,

I just found this thread this morning; and, I am stunned to learn about this "sandal policy"!! Walking sneakers and dressy sandals are all I ever bring on our cruises. I have never been denied access to the Elite Cocktail hour wearing my gold, silver or jeweled sandals.

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]Hi Carolyn!

I think that's all any women bring, at least on a warm weather cruise. I've never had a problem either. And I plan to bring and wear my usual sandals on my upcoming Thanksgiving cruise.

Everyone seems to be pretty much in agreement that this particular hostess was WAY out of line. I suspect that if she continues to behave that way, her career at Celebrity will be short.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I live in Florida and ALL my shoes are sandals. I'm not kidding (ok, I do gave a pair of suede boots but I don't cruise with those). It's so funny when logic is thrown out. To say that you can't enter with a dressy pair of sandals but gym shoes is acceptable is just plain illogical.

As CruiseArizona mentioned, if this happens on our upcoming Silhouette cruise I would talk to a supervisor, politely. I really don't believe for a moment Celebrity will stop women wearing dressy sandals from events.

I live in Florida and ALL my shoes are sandals. I'm not kidding (ok, I do gave a pair of suede boots but I don't cruise with those). It's so funny when logic is thrown out. To say that you can't enter with a dressy pair of sandals but gym shoes is acceptable is just plain illogical.

As CruiseArizona mentioned, if this happens on our upcoming Silhouette cruise I would talk to a supervisor, politely. I really don't believe for a moment Celebrity will stop women wearing dressy sandals from events.

Hi Anne:) I will be on Summit next month and will do the same thing:eek:

Wow, after reading this thread, I guess I'd better get a Dr.'s note. I recently had surgery on three toes where the bone was cut and replaced with screws. I am still recovering and doubt very much that I will even be able to wear closed toe shoes. I will be boarding the Silhouette in a few weeks and plan on wearing open toed sandals in the Elite lounge. I wonder if I will also be turned away!

Hi Anne:) I will be on Summit next month and will do the same thing:eek:

Annie & Lois,

I will be on the Eclipse for N Y and will also speak to management if my very dressy sandals are not permitted at the Elite event, esp after wearing them on formal night. I travel in closed toe shoes because I am coming from PA and wear jeans to fly. Would never wear them with a sun dress or silk skirt or slacks.

Mary Lou

Annie & Lois,

I will be on the Eclipse for N Y and will also speak to management if my very dressy sandals are not permitted at the Elite event, esp after wearing them on formal night. I travel in closed toe shoes because I am coming from PA and wear jeans to fly. Would never wear them with a sun dress or silk skirt or slacks.

Mary Lou

Hi Mary Lou:) I just cannot fathom this entire scenerio although

I know it did happen:eek:......don't they realize how many women

only wear sandals? Especially on a Caribbean cruise:confused:.....

I was going to say it was outlandish but I am going to be really

blunt and say it is one of he stupidest things I have ever of:rolleyes:

Wow, after reading this thread, I guess I'd better get a Dr.'s note. I recently had surgery on three toes where the bone was cut and replaced with screws. I am still recovering and doubt very much that I will even be able to wear closed toe shoes. I will be boarding the Silhouette in a few weeks and plan on wearing open toed sandals in the Elite lounge. I wonder if I will also be turned away!

I would suggest doing the same thing Anne mentioned if it does

happen...find a supervisor. But I also agree with those

who say this was a one time only issue. Especially if you are

recovering from surgery...omg, if they said you could not come in?:eek:

That would be truely nuts...........

I think this was probably just a misunderstanding and the hostess was referring to flip-flops or those sandals that look like tire treads. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi Joanie:) I think the gal said it was regular sandals (not flip-flops)~

that is why it is sooooooooo weird.....

It's well known to many of us that communication issues are a frequent occurence for Celebrity. Remember "X the rules"?

This CC Hostess chose to interpret the no sandals statement literally. In reality, the intention was probably to exclude flip flops and sport shoes - Tevas, water shoes, etc.

I don't think Celebrity's etiquette team really intends to exclude fabulous designer open toe evening footwear which always adds a festive touch to ladie's outfits.

The dress code statement needs an editor.

It's well known to many of us that communication issues are a frequent occurence for Celebrity. Remember "X the rules"?

This CC Hostess chose to interpret the no sandals statement literally. In reality, the intention was probably to exclude flip flops and sport shoes - Tevas, water shoes, etc.

I don't think Celebrity's etiquette team really intends to exclude fabulous designer open toe evening footwear which always adds a festive touch to ladie's outfits.

The dress code statement needs an editor.

I was turned away from the Elite lounge wearing dressy sandals that were far from flip flops. I did think the wearing athletic shoes with my formal clothing a bit much but was willing to do so. The sandals were dressy patten leather with straps and back straps. I have used them at many dressy affairs and continue to do so. I'll just put on my closed toe walking shoes or boots.

Temma

I was turned away from the Elite lounge wearing dressy sandals that were far from flip flops. I did think the wearing athletic shoes with my formal clothing a bit much but was willing to do so. The sandals were dressy patten leather with straps and back straps. I have used them at many dressy affairs and continue to do so. I'll just put on my closed toe walking shoes or boots.

Temma

Hi Temma, I am really sorry this happened to you:(......which ship?

What sailing? And do you remember who the hostess was who turned

you away?:confused:.....it really REALLY makes no sense:mad:

Hi Temma, I am really sorry this happened to you:(......which ship?

What sailing? And do you remember who the hostess was who turned

you away?:confused:.....it really REALLY makes no sense:mad:

It was very strange. It was on the Equinox a two years ago. I don't remember the name of the person who told me no. She left soon after that, I returned with my sandals, and I was let in. Strangely there were others there with "naked" toes. Their shoes were very high; mine were only 1 1/2 inches high. I believe she was reprimanded or relieved because she disappeared. She was not the regular staff person and was there by herself.

Temma

Our up coming cruise will be out first as Elite.

As I began the packing this morning, I remembered the afternoon Elite cocktail social. What is the dress code for that event. I'm assuming bathing suits are out, the question really is whether dress shorts are fine.

Thx

Cover your legs and no tee-shirts.

Tennis shoes? I don't know.

Skinny strap tops, I don't think so.

I am a woman and it seemed to me that no sandals applied to everyone.

I saw the hostess at breakfast on the second morning of the cruise. She mentioned that she hadn't seen me at the social hour. I replied that all my dressy shoes were sandals so I couldn't attend. She said she was sorry to hear that I only had sandals because they do enforce the dress code. She then asked if I had any shoes that weren't open toe. I said the only ones I had were tennis shoes. She kind-of giggled and said she supposed I could wear those, then added that some of the shops onboard sell women's shoes.

It seemed to me if dressy, strappy, open-toe shoes were allowed, she would have said that I could attend the social hour wearing them. Since she asked about other shoe options and suggested I purchase some, I figured that meant my sandals, no matter how dressy, were not allowed. I wasn't going to purchase new shoes or wear tennis shoes just so I could get attend a few elite events. My sandals were fine for all the other venues and attending the elite events was not that important to me.

ADDED: Since this was my first Celebrity cruise with elite status, I assumed that the no sandals thing was well-known among elite members and I had missed noting it.

Sounds like nonsense for a free drink. X those rules.

Les

All Elite events are smart casual. No shorts, dress included. They willl turn away anyone in shorts. Enjoy all the Elite perks.

This is not true, I had on cream lace dress shorts and silk top and was not turned away in the Elite lounge. We were even asked to sit at the captains table from the Captains club hostess.

This is not true, I had on cream lace dress shorts and silk top and was not turned away in the Elite lounge. We were even asked to sit at the captains table from the Captains club hostess.

That is the problem with the dress code. It all depends on who is enforcing/not enforcing the rules. There is no consistency from ship to ship. This applies not only to the Elite Happy Hour, but the MDR, etc.

I guess that means they will let everyone in wearing shorts even though they specifically say they are not allowed.

Temma,

Did your letter actually include "no sandals" for the dress code? I was just curious.

If anyone needs alternatives to "sandals" for the Elite dress code, my husband wanted me to point out that the complimentary slippers are closed-toe and not on the "no" list. :p For full disclosure, we saw a man in the Oceanview Cafe one evening wearing a robe and slippers. I don't think robes and slippers are specifically prohibited, but he was asked to eat elsewhere. I'm not sure where he went (back to his cabin or outside on deck) but we watched a waitress put his meal on a tray and follow him out the door.

Archived