3 IN A ROOM? – My husband wants to take his mother-in-law on a cruise!

MaisonDeBritts

My husband and I shared one of the larger Concierge-class cabins with a girlfriend of mine on the Millennium a few years ago, and I found the biggest challenge to be sharing the bathroom, mainly because in our home we have more bathrooms than people and I'm used to having my own. Also, my friend snores even worse than my husband, so I had that to contend with as well. I solved the bathroom situation by using the one in the spa to get ready. My husband spent a lot of time on the balony on that cruise. :D

Of course, ideally your mom could get her own cabin, but I certainly understand why financially that might not make sense. If the sofa bed isn't too uncomfortable, it can certainly be done. It sounds like you all get along well, and if you go into it knowing what to expect, you can have a trip with your mom that you'll remember for the rest of your life. Your husband sounds like a keeper - congrats!

That's a great idea too! We could just put it against the wall on the balcony of a day time. The balcony in 7049 has one really long wall so it would fit!!!

They come with a electric pump that makes it easy to inflate and deflate every day. You can also get a manual pump and take it to the beach. It is also nice to put on the balcony at night and sleep out there. It could also solve the chair hog problem of you want a place where you can't find any loungers.

Does she have a fried she can take along for when you and DH want some private time? I would definitely recommend an inside over three in a room. If she has a friend inside with her, even better. You save quite a bit with the inside rooms, and can get two next to each other, or one inside and one balcony across from each other.

Put 3 in a 170 sq ft cabin, one sink one toilet, one shower, one small closet and one of them your mother. and by the end of the cruise non of you will be talking to each other. You will end up defending mom id there is an argument. Your new husband, is still very new and will be "odd man out". Blow up mattress...Right...where are you going to put it? It will totaly block traffic

Too many rats in the box... a famous experiment.. they put 2 rats in a box every thing was fine..then they added a 3 rd and imballenced the whole relation. IN the end they were trying to kill each other..not pretty:(.

Living in such close quarters little things that in a house wont matter so much become major issues. Tempers flare at the drop of a hat.:eek:

As an earily riser it will uppset everyone who is not.

You married your husband to be with him... not move back in with mom:rolleyes:

I agree with the above poster about the mattress. In a regular balcony cabin there is just no floor space to put a blow up mattress.You would not be able to walk around in the room to get to the BR or the balcony.Even when the pull out couch is open you have to squeeze past.

I would: a) get your Mom an inside cabin, or b) upgrade to a suite if you all want to be in one cabin (if you can afford it). A sky suite, even though it's not a true suite, would still be much better than a regular balcony cabin as far as having more room. However, you'll still have the problem of one bathroom only.

I've slept on a sofabed on Millie. It was awful.

I agree with the above poster about the mattress. In a regular balcony cabin there is just no floor space to put a blow up mattress.You would not be able to walk around in the room to get to the BR or the balcony.Even when the pull out couch is open you have to squeeze past.

I think they were considering putting the air mattress on top of the sofa bed. Could be wrong about that, of course.

However, as others have noted, it's more a bathroom and storage space issue, as well as very tight quarters for three for that many days, so perhaps an inside across the hall (preferably with a friend so there's no single supplement) and the balcony cabin for everyone to enjoy the balcony -- maybe that's a better option for three if the budget can handle it.

S

We've traveled three to a cabin for years (with my now 26 year old son, from the time he was three, and until recently without balconies) and I myself do not think storage is an issue on M class, although it is a bit tight. As I mentioned before, though, I think expecting a 70 yr old person to sleep on that gawdawful sofa bed is asking alot. But at the same time, we used to regularly travel with our three now elderly relatives from the time they were mid-60's to early 80's and they always shared a cabin, with one sleeping on that bed. I have to tell you that for at least a day or two they ended up having a spat or two with each other in those close of quarters, but if you really, really want to do it, it can be done. I would only recommend it as a last resort, though, as there will be little 'elbow room' and the sofa bed is pretty uncomfortable.

Check the price of a suite as opposed to a regular room and an inside. When our older son cruises with us, we have found the suite is cheaper than a regular balcony and an inside because our son gets stuck with the dreaded "single supplement" payment if we put him in an inside cabin.

The suite has a bigger bathroom, bigger balcony and more storage. Of course, the two rooms give you two baths and even more storage.

May I say, your husband is so very kind to be willing to sacrifice to travel with your mother. What a nice guy! Whatever you all decide to do for this cruise, I hope you have a wonderful time.

We have just returned from almost 3 weeks on Millennium (our honeymoon). We sailed from Hawaii to Sydney and loved it so much we are thinking of doing something similar next November (same start/end… different ports in between).

My Mum turns 70 in April so my new husband thought it would be nice to take her with us next time! Yes he’s an exceptional husband and she’s not your average mother-in-law!

So my question is… has anyone slept on the sofa beds on Millennium?

We were in cabin 7049 – with a larger triangular balcony – and we’d happily share the same cabin with my Mum, but I won’t do it unless I know she will be comfortable.

I’m thinking we might be better off with a bigger cabin… so she can have a normal bed… but I’m sure that will put it out of our price range.

Has anyone done 3 in a cabin? If so, do you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks!!! :)

I am sure that your mother in law has a great relationship with you, however I would "assume" that a young couple as well as a Sr. Citizen would like privacy. If my husband and I were sailing, with my mum, I would prefer two inside adjoining cabins if my budget was an issue. That would afford you privacy including two bathrooms. On the solstice class ships they are really nice. If you can afford two window or balcony cabins, even better. I would bet the cost would be less then a small suite and much more comfortable

The sofa bed or bunk are not comfortable for anybody but a small child.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I"ll just throw in my 2 cents and say that I would never do this. I would rather have two insides than put 3 adults in one cabin, especially a married couple with one MIL. Even the best relationship might not survive that.

Does the MIL have a friend she'd like to have join her?

If she reads your post! your in trouble!

I'm a bad boy:eek:.

My mother wouldn't read this as she is computer illiterate. I do love my mum, I just wouldn't want to holiday with her (she can be a lot of work).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I'm a bad boy:eek:.

My mother wouldn't read this as she is computer illiterate. I do love my mum, I just wouldn't want to holiday with her (she can be a lot of work).:D

Well, you could book her a cabin on another deck at the opposite end of the ship.

Then have a sad, anguished look on your face when you tell her how upset you are that there are no available cabins close together.

We knew some people who would do that when traveling with their children.

Maybe they were the ones responsible for the cruise lines implementing the policy about cabins for minor children needing to be close to the cabins for the parents.

But parents who want to circumvent that policy still manage to do so. :D