Crown-A lot of Medical issues this cruise

vandalayceo

I am O neg - anyone can have my blood in an emergency so its quite sought after - but they won't let me donate in the US as I lived in England for a while, and they have the notion that Brits may all carry CJD - mad cow disease.

On our last cruise there were three calls for blood. One was for the type DW and I both have. We did not have recent blood donor cards (used to give all the time) because we too spent too much time in England. Upon return to the States I checked the Red Cross' web-site and found the rules had changed regarding CJD.

It used to be that if you had spent more than six months cumulatively in England you were ineligible to donate. The most recent listing from the RC web-site is:

At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or

From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

• Channel Islands
  • England
  • Falkland Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Isle of Man
  • Northern Ireland
  • Scotland
  • Wales

We're happy about this as we can now donate again.

Here's a link to the RC page for more details.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing#arc5

I just got off the Crown Princess this morning. Besides the Noro the air lift near New Orleans and heard about 3 deaths. There was even more Influenza on the ship both A and B. I had the former and from the third day on it was a rough trip for me. Noro virus makes it tough for everyone but mostly the crew that has to work even harder. This was my 50th cruise with princess and it was a rough go for me. Glad to finally feel better. It was an older crowd; heard avg age was 68. My last Transatlantic was much younger mainly because of the Iceland Volcanic activity had many people on trying to get home. A 33 day cruise in 2010 to Sydney also had a younger passengers then I would have expected.

Please - this is one way nasty rumors get started. Even if it is meant as a joke, some people will believe it. I can't even begin to imagine all the health regulations your implication would violate.

When we did the ultimate ship tour, I asked about the morgue, and they showed us the stacked three drawers. I asked about storage if they have more than three deaths, and the answer was that as the food refrigerators/freezers emptied, they would use those.

When we did the ultimate ship tour, I asked about the morgue, and they showed us the stacked three drawers. I asked about storage if they have more than three deaths, and the answer was that as the food refrigerators/freezers emptied, they would use those.

Empty freezers don't have your prime rib in them. No issue there.

The Crown made the Los Angeles TV news last night, also.

Some news editor has likely decided that talking about the NRA either pro or con is a loosing proposition so lets move onto something else no matter what.

Yep I was on that cruise as well -- just could not believe all the medical issues

And when we were done and disembarking at galveston and going to our bus there was to be one more medical issue-- a lady had fallen or something-- not sure-- she was laying on the ground being attended to, I sure hope she is ok

wave

Last day of 20 on Crown Trans Atlantic Venice to Galveston. A

lot more than usual medical issues.

Noro virus restrictions in place for over 10 days-now lifted.

About a week ago heard a "code alpha" annoncement. Next day learned a passenger had died of a heart attck in Da Vinci dining room.

3 days ago an announcement asking for blood donors of a certain type. Next day Captain said they had great respose and passenger doing well.

Today Captain announced we had changed couse somewhat to rendevous with a Coast Guard helicopter to evacuate a passenger- don't know if the same one that required blood.

We all watched helicopter procedure from top decks, really interesting how it's done. Captain reported it was very succesful and passenger on way to New Orleans.

The norovirus code red went into effect on second day of the cruise and was still in effect on Day 18 when we disembarked. It wasn't just 10 days; it was the entire cruise. Interestingly, there was no noro whatsoever on 12 nt Greek that preceded TA (even though nearly 40% of the passengers were the same), and code red was miraculously lifted before heading into Galveston for the Xmas cruise. Same thing happened on the eastbound TA in April. . No noro in Caribbean or one we got to Rome, but the entire crossing. We personally think it's a convenient way for Princess to cut back on amount of buffet food (and other gastronomic perks like CC Party hors d'oeuvres) served on the less profitable TA's.

I just got off the Crown Princess this morning. Besides the Noro the air lift near New Orleans and heard about 3 deaths. There was even more Influenza on the ship both A and B. I had the former and from the third day on it was a rough trip for me. Noro virus makes it tough for everyone but mostly the crew that has to work even harder. This was my 50th cruise with princess and it was a rough go for me. Glad to finally feel better. It was an older crowd; heard avg age was 68. My last Transatlantic was much younger mainly because of the Iceland Volcanic activity had many people on trying to get home. A 33 day cruise in 2010 to Sydney also had a younger passengers then I would have expected.

Average age was 68 only because the kids and teens brought the average down. But the true mean age was more like 76. At 57 and 58, my DH and I were among the younger couples onboard.

The norovirus code red went into effect on second day of the cruise and was still in effect on Day 18 when we disembarked. It wasn't just 10 days; it was the entire cruise. Interestingly, there was no noro whatsoever on 12 nt Greek that preceded TA (even though nearly 40% of the passengers were the same), and code red was miraculously lifted before heading into Galveston for the Xmas cruise. Same thing happened on the eastbound TA in April. . No noro in Caribbean or one we got to Rome, but the entire crossing. We personally think it's a convenient way for Princess to cut back on amount of buffet food (and other gastronomic perks like CC Party hors d'oeuvres) served on the less profitable TA's.

THIS IS A GENERAL STATEMENT, THERE ARE SURE TO BE EXCEPTIONS: Noro comes onboard mostly with passengers although the crew may harbor it as well. When you see it appear and disappear from cruise to cruise, most likely the load of passengers brought on board and took it with them at the end of the cruise. When you see it continue from cruise to cruise it's either the B2B passengers or running rampant in the crew.

If Princess was using Noro alerts to cut back on food servings, that little secret would be public knowledge very quickly. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING. :mad:

You have to produce a blood donor card before they'll even test your blood and not everyone has one or carries it with them on a cruise.

Not only do you need a donor card, you can't have donated within the past 12 weeks according to Princess protocol. In the states you can donate every 8 weeks.

Not to quibble, but I just estimated at 10 days. seems it was day 3 or 4 when restictions went into place, and 3 days at end without.

As far as this being a way for Princess to skimp on buffet food-You must be kidding!!

While the restrictions were in place and stewards handed out the food we never had any issues about getting a larger portion-just the opposite. Oftten they would "ladle" out way more than we would have taken ourselves. and in those cases where we asked for a little more it was immediately put on the plate-again usually more than we wanted.

And when you consider how many more personnel they required to be on duty to perform these duties it must cause a great deal more problem than benefit.

Re the blood donation request-I have donated blood but didn't consider volunteering when the request came up as it was during dinner and I was 2 martinis and 1/2 bottle wine into the evening. I assume this disqualifies me?

Average age was 68 only because the kids and teens brought the average down. But the true mean age was more like 76. At 57 and 58, my DH and I were among the younger couples onboard.

The ship was dead at 10PM. I only saw more than two people at Skywalkers once and the late shows in princess Theater you could count the number of people. There were a few couples in their 20's but only two that i remember. Their where a few children and that did bring down the age as you noted. Agreed Agreed Agreed.

Yes, that's why I said: "I can't imagine any healthy person NOT doing it." ;) Of course, if someone has medical issues, then for everyone's sake, they shouldn't be donating. I suppose some others may not be able to donate due to the areas they have cruised to, or, vacationed in.

I've had to switch back to whole blood from platelets. My veins just couldn't handle the return pressure from the apheresis machines. It's good to know that they ask for them, and I'd definitely be willing to step up.

I disembarked the Crown on the 22nd & most of the cruise had norovirus caused restrictions & having to be served food. The problem began a few days after new passengers embarked in Venice & there were no noro related restrictions during the preceding 12 day cruise.

All of the preventive procedures in the world won't keep those with noro from boarding the ship & spreading it. During our day in Ft Lauderdale the person on the adjacent balcony called many of her friends on her cell loudly telling them about having severe noro the night before her flight to embark on the ship. As long as there are such passengers it's hard to blame any cruise line for noro outbreaks because it's passengers like her who bring noro onboard & spread it by refusing to confine themselves to their cabins until they are healthy.

I disembarked the Crown on the 22nd & most of the cruise had norovirus caused restrictions & having to be served food. The problem began a few days after new passengers embarked in Venice & there were no noro related restrictions during the preceding 12 day cruise.

All of the preventive procedures in the world won't keep those with noro from boarding the ship & spreading it. During our day in Ft Lauderdale the person on the adjacent balcony called many of her friends on her cell loudly telling them about having severe noro the night before her flight to embark on the ship. As long as there are such passengers it's hard to blame any cruise line for noro outbreaks because it's passengers like her who bring noro onboard & spread it by refusing to confine themselves to their cabins until they are healthy.

While not a Princess cruise, I was scheduled on a NCL Pacific Coast cruise in September, 2 days before I was scheduled to leave I got some stomach virus. I had insurance and cancelled, NCL customer service thanked me for not sailing sick, walked me through the whole process of filing the claim with the insurance company, then thanked me again for doing the right thing.

Insurance was very quick, had the check less than 2 weeks after filing the claim.

During our day in Ft Lauderdale the person on the adjacent balcony called many of her friends on her cell loudly telling them about having severe noro the night before her flight to embark on the ship. As long as there are such passengers it's hard to blame any cruise line for noro outbreaks because it's passengers like her who bring noro onboard & spread it by refusing to confine themselves to their cabins until they are healthy.

You hit it on the head right there.

Many people just care about themselves these days AND especially during the holidays. They don't want to miss out on a family get together or disappoint someone by cancelling so they board while being sick. We sailed last Christmas and it was all over.

I am so sick of people blaming Princess for Noro. Heck - they blame Princess for everything. We sailed during Hurricane Sandy - and that was also the fault of Princess.

I found a really neat business and was thinking about buying a franchise but then I thought about people these days and thought, there is no way I want to put myself in the position where I have have to deal with people and have them come back on me.

And this includes her spreading the noro during the flight before the cruise, especially if she used the restroom. She has to have lied on the pre-cruise health questionaire too!

Every time we've contracted something (usually respiratory) the source traces back to airplane exposure, not something we've picked up during the cruise. We even stopped cruising at one point, only to find when we drove ourselves to a cruise out of Galveston we didn't get sick.

The fact that the problems on board this cruise didn't start peaking until 2-3 days into the cruise really says people brought it with them.

I too donate regularly at our local hospital. Last Feb. while on a Panama Canal cruise, my mother became seriously ill and needed blood. While many people volunteered, only those with donor cards were accepted. When I returned home, I asked the nurse at the hospital why I never received a donor card. Her reply was that it was only done by the American Red Cross after a blood donation. I have also asked friends who have donated and they have not received cards either, except for those donating to Red Cross. (Princess did let me donate as a family member, but it was not enough for mom. We were disembarked the 3 day in Cabo where she passed 4 days later.)

And this includes her spreading the noro during the flight before the cruise, especially if she used the restroom. She has to have lied on the pre-cruise health questionaire too!

Every time we've contracted something (usually respiratory) the source traces back to airplane exposure, not something we've picked up during the cruise. We even stopped cruising at one point, only to find when we drove ourselves to a cruise out of Galveston we didn't get sick.

The fact that the problems on board this cruise didn't start peaking until 2-3 days into the cruise really says people brought it with them.

I would guess that I have enough fingers on one hand to count the number of pax who told the truth on the pre-cruise health questionnaire when they knew they were sick. They just don't tell the truth.

I flew every week all over the US for 20 years while working and never got sick from it. I almost never use the restroom unless it is a long flight and then only to urinate (male) and then thoroughly wash my hands. It happens of course but so far I have been lucky.

Some pax board not knowing they are carriers of some virus since it is in the incubation period only to get sick within hours of boarding.

Always practice safe health measures no matter where you are. That not only includes airplanes and ships but restaurants and theaters back home. Think how many handled that restaurant menu before you did.

Archived