Crown-A lot of Medical issues this cruise

vandalayceo

Last day of 20 on Crown Trans Atlantic Venice to Galveston. A

lot more than usual medical issues.

Noro virus restrictions in place for over 10 days-now lifted.

About a week ago heard a "code alpha" annoncement. Next day learned a passenger had died of a heart attck in Da Vinci dining room.

3 days ago an announcement asking for blood donors of a certain type. Next day Captain said they had great respose and passenger doing well.

Today Captain announced we had changed couse somewhat to rendevous with a Coast Guard helicopter to evacuate a passenger- don't know if the same one that required blood.

We all watched helicopter procedure from top decks, really interesting how it's done. Captain reported it was very succesful and passenger on way to New Orleans.

Doesn't surprise me that a TA would have above average levels of medical issues. People are in a confined space longer and the average age skews a bit older due to the length of the trip.

Last day of 20 on Crown Trans Atlantic Venice to Galveston. A

lot more than usual medical issues.

Noro virus restrictions in place for over 10 days-now lifted.

About a week ago heard a "code alpha" annoncement. Next day learned a passenger had died of a heart attck in Da Vinci dining room.

3 days ago an announcement asking for blood donors of a certain type. Next day Captain said they had great respose and passenger doing well.

Today Captain announced we had changed couse somewhat to rendevous with a Coast Guard helicopter to evacuate a passenger- don't know if the same one that required blood.

We all watched helicopter procedure from top decks, really interesting how it's done. Captain reported it was very succesful and passenger on way to New Orleans.

On the UST you often meet the CMO. He showed us the 3 bay morgue on the Island and said on average they have about 1 fatality per 7-10 days.

After disembarking one of our Alaskan cruises, we happened to see one of our fellow passengers being taken away.....in a bodybag. Sobering, and no disrespect intended, but when it's my time it's not an entirely bad way to go.

The longer the cruise, the older the crowd.

The older the crowd, the more medical issues.

Princess has one of the finest educated and trained medical staffs at sea. As an experienced ED nurse, I have visited and chatted with their nursing staff many times and have great respect for their ability to handle medical emergencies at sea, as well as the day to day psx needs. When needed they are well prepared to care for psx and crew. I am thankful they are there!

Three years ago when my BIL needed blood on the Coral Princess, the call went out. We were astonished at the number of people -- and crew -- who lined up to give blood. There must have been 25-30 people. They were tested and a few were called back to donate blood (no crew.) Their generosity was amazing.

Interestingly, a year later, we were on a family cruise and a woman recognized my sister saying, "I was one of those who was called back. I hope I made a difference." She sure did.

Great to hear the noro alert is lifted - we sail on her in 2 weeks.

Sounds like Princess' medical staff is going above and beyond this cruise - isn't it great that they are there?

We're just after you and I'm happy to hear the ship is doing well now with the Norovirus now.

OP, you sure have had an adventure! :)

I wouldn't hesitate to donate blood if a call went out. I can't imagine any healthy person NOT doing it. It's a simple thing to do and helps a fellow passenger out. I'm amazed only 25-30 people showed up! I would think there would be hundreds. I don't understand why people are so afraid to donate!

A lot of people cannot donate because of their own health issues and also a lot of people are on medications and that also stops people from donating.

(I cannot donate because of health issues and because I take medications.)

Yes, that's why I said: "I can't imagine any healthy person NOT doing it." ;) Of course, if someone has medical issues, then for everyone's sake, they shouldn't be donating. I suppose some others may not be able to donate due to the areas they have cruised to, or, vacationed in.

Yes, that's why I said: "I can't imagine any healthy person NOT doing it." ;) Of course, if someone has medical issues, then for everyone's sake, they shouldn't be donating. I suppose some others may not be able to donate due to the areas they have cruised to, or, vacationed in.
You have to produce a blood donor card before they'll even test your blood and not everyone has one or carries it with them on a cruise.

Wow. Didn't know that!

The predicted frequency of deaths onboard is calculated... using outdated statistics. As the average weight of pax approaches that defined as 'morbid obesity', the number increases. Most cruise ships no longer have enough capacity in the morgue - you don't want to know what's been stored alongside your prime rib in the freezer.

On a long, non-port section of a cruise, the noro virus should play itself out if normal hand washing procedures are followed. When people stop bringing the virus aboard and take simple care of themselves, it is not passed around. Each port of call allows for new contamination and each time new passengers who are sick come aboard, the virus comes along. Wash your hands, please.

Hi All

Do not know about US, but in UK long list of places that if you visit in the Caribbean, Africa. Middle East you can not give blood for a year.

yours Shogun

While a potential donor in the States may be in perfect health, the Red Cross has other restrictions that may prevent them from donating.

Having lived in Europe, no one in my family (including our now adult children) can donate due to the restriction if "you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe".

The US Red Cross has list of restrictions that effect many travelers:

Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country or countries where malaria is found.

Wait 12 months after travel to Iraq. This requirement is related to concerns about Leishmanaisis.

Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant Creutzfeld Jacob Disease (vCJD).

Persons who were born in or who lived in certain countries in Western Africa, or who have had close contact with persons who were born in or who lived in certain West African countries are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about HIV Group.

Hi All

Do not know about US, but in UK long list of places that if you visit in the Caribbean, Africa. Middle East you can not give blood for a year.

yours Shogun

I am O neg - anyone can have my blood in an emergency so its quite sought after - but they won't let me donate in the US as I lived in England for a while, and they have the notion that Brits may all carry CJD - mad cow disease.

The predicted frequency of deaths onboard is calculated... using outdated statistics. As the average weight of pax approaches that defined as 'morbid obesity', the number increases. Most cruise ships no longer have enough capacity in the morgue - you don't want to know what's been stored alongside your prime rib in the freezer.

Please - this is one way nasty rumors get started. Even if it is meant as a joke, some people will believe it. I can't even begin to imagine all the health regulations your implication would violate.

Archived