New Celebrity Promotion (1, 2, 3 Go !) Returns March 15, 2013

Andy

are frozen drinks the same as smoothies???? thanks for all the help. it it were not for the CC board, DH and I would have not have known to ask our TA about upgrading to the ocean view to qualify for the 123 deal.

A frozen drink is a completely different item than a smoothie. A smoothie is a non-alcoholic drink that has something like juice and fruit and maybe yogurt in it. A frozen drink would be a frozen daiquiri, pina colada, margarita or similar drink which is basically flavored syrup and ice blended together with or without alcohol.

Does anyone think it odd that the Classic package includes wines up to $8 per glass but only beers up to $5?

Not a big beer drinker but if I were this would annoy me.

If they included only wines under $5 they would be offering exactly zero wines as there are none under $5. OTOH, there are many popular beers under $5.

Edited by Lsimon

I asked our TA because the Classic Alcohol Package does not include a lot of things in the Premium Non Alcohol package such as the premium waters that we are interested in, but Celebrity will not substitute although the Premium Non Alcohol Package is (much) cheaper than the Classic Alcohol Package. I actually think this will confuse a lot of people.

In any event if you are a non alcohol drinker it is still cheaper (maybe on most cruises) to get the Classic Alcohol package in the promo and pay the $11.50 per person per day upgrade to the Premium Alcohol package just so you can get everything in the Premium Non Alcoholic Package (which would be $18.00 per day on its own).

This is what I did. The hubster doesn't drink alcohol, and I knew that I couldn't get him the Premium non-alcoholic, but I did want to upgrade mine to the Premium Alcoholic Package. The Celebrity agent said that we could not upgrade only one - both passengers in the cabin had to be upgraded. I went ahead and upgraded both because, as you say, even at 11.50 it's cheaper than the $18 + gratuity. And, even upgrading both to Premium, we're still way ahead than if we had paid for one premium of each. And, this way, hubster gets his sparkling water that he enjoys with his meals.

(I only quoted two messages above, but the reply below applies to several more)

It's all about the booking code/price program. For us/can bookings, If its a fivestar or "group x" rate (applicable for groups only) it qualifies, otherwise it doesnt. No other offers, including resident, shareholder, exciting deals, etc, apply. You can move an existing Rez into the promotion, but you lose any previous offers (incl any OBC), and must book at the prevailing fivestar rate. Your TA can easily see in cruisingpower which rates are fivestar rates (they all start FST...). Unfortunately there is no easy way for a consumer to know if a rate shown on celebritycruise.com qualifies. You can use your open passage, but you forego the OBC and you may need to "make up" the difference between your $100 deposit and the current 50% deposit offer. You cannot take advantage of Amex platinum cruise privileges or the elite "2 category upgrade" benefit, or in fact any other special price or benefit program.

And for those who asked about the expiration date, all of the flyers now show the revised expiration of feb 18 (sail by April 2104).

For those looking for a revised invoice, your TA can easily generate one in cruisingpower. We booked under 123go and our invoice reflected this within 24 hours. Your TA needs to explicitly go to cruisingpower and choose which offer you want, or none will be applied. You can upgrade to the premium beverage package at any time during the promotion and if you fail to pay for it the cost will be added to your on board account. I do not know if you can upgrade aboard, but if it were me I would not risk it. There are no substitutions for the beverage package.

Hi all...would-be 1st time cruiser here. After a great deal of comparing, my girlfriend and I decided to book the Celebrity Eclipse eastbound TA this April. The 123go promotion really sealed it for us. It's advertised front and center on the celebritycruises.com homepage, which we were booking through, so we anticipated no problem. However, the verandah stateroom rate that really attracted us to this cruise is apparently not a '5 star rate' and therefore ineligible for the 123go! And the lowest 5 star rate for the same cabin was nearly *twice* the cost!! Only found this out when we called the celebrity operator to begin finalizing booking. As this post says, there is *no* way on the celebritycruises.com website to id a 5 star rate v. non 5 star rate.

Since it was only in the finest of print where this distinction was made, this really seems like a big-time bait and switch tactic. My opinion of Celebrity's business practices is about to take a big hit. I understand that a promotion may have hidden costs...but to promote the 123go so heavily and to hide the *doubled* rate necessary to be eligible for it?? It seems a shady, disreputable practice. But maybe I'm missing something? Glad for any advice

This is what I did. The hubster doesn't drink alcohol, and I knew that I couldn't get him the Premium non-alcoholic, but I did want to upgrade mine to the Premium Alcoholic Package. The Celebrity agent said that we could not upgrade only one - both passengers in the cabin had to be upgraded. I went ahead and upgraded both because, as you say, even at 11.50 it's cheaper than the $18 + gratuity. And, even upgrading both to Premium, we're still way ahead than if we had paid for one premium of each. And, this way, hubster gets his sparkling water that he enjoys with his meals.

You can actually upgrade one without the other but the issue for us is the premium water. It is just too bad the premium water is not included in the Classic Alcohol. Out TA offered the upgrade to the premium or to pay for gratuities, but I know we will never pay for the alcohol packages on our own. We haven't booked yet, just looking at the options. The offer is not transferable so if you decide to switch itineraries or dates, you can't.

I still think many people will assume the Classic Alcohol includes everything in the next least expensive package which is the Premium Non Alcohol.

You are one LUCKY FELLOW! I called a TA today to book and because I was using the $500 gift card, Celebrity wouldn't even throw in the non-alcoholic drink package.... oh well. We ended up with a $330 OBC which more than pays for any drinks we ever get on the ship.

You are one LUCKY FELLOW! I called a TA today to book and because I was using the $500 gift card, Celebrity wouldn't even throw in the non-alcoholic drink package.... oh well. We ended up with a $330 OBC which more than pays for any drinks we ever get on the ship.

Yes I do feel well served today! :D

In your case it would have been a double dip from "X" which doesn't happen anymore.

My grats are coming from the TA

I can't get my shareholders $ 100.00 a week cabin credit because Celebrity are giving me the drink package.

Edited by A Sixth?

First let me say that our TA did get the drink package added to our 2014 Sydney - Honolulu cruise so I am delighted by that.

However, as we also have a cruise booked this April, I find their methodology very suspect. As soon as they introduced 123 they raised the price as is their right. This weekend I noticed the price had gone down so I talked to Celebrity and they said it was just a weekend special and 123 did not apply.

I find a practice where they blaze a 123 deal on the front of the website, list the applicable cruise destinations and then monkey with the invisible (not fine!) print to be reprehensible. My wife's comment, "I don't think I like Celebrity".

I am hoping we will not find any further examples of this type of business practice on our cruise.

UK residents cannot take advantage of the current 123 deal at any point, from booking a 'new' cruise to amending an existing booking. I have been told it is for US citizens only :(

Thank you for taking the time to respond to what must have seemed like a dumb question. Now I understand the conflict. It does make you wonder who made this decision and why.

First let me say that our TA did get the drink package added to our 2014 Sydney - Honolulu cruise so I am delighted by that.

However, as we also have a cruise booked this April, I find their methodology very suspect. As soon as they introduced 123 they raised the price as is their right. This weekend I noticed the price had gone down so I talked to Celebrity and they said it was just a weekend special and 123 did not apply.

I find a practice where they blaze a 123 deal on the front of the website, list the applicable cruise destinations and then monkey with the invisible (not fine!) print to be reprehensible. My wife's comment, "I don't think I like Celebrity".

I am hoping we will not find any further examples of this type of business practice on our cruise.

We booked 3 cruises this weekend; Feb '13, Jan'14 and March '14. The prices on these cruises were not inflated at all. We had a very different experience than you.

Thank you Celebrity!

Edited by Oville

We called the US number mentioned in the website. Got transferred to International sales ( also located in the states). Asked for pricing in euro and added the beverage package. Knew what i wanted and the three cruises were booked in 10 minutes time with my bookings all confirmed. cant see why uk is excluded but maybe you can arrange something when contacting the US office. And our prices were even a bit cheaper when booking directly over the advertised prices / local pricing in Belgium.

Sven

It appears most in the US are having success with the 123 applied to existing bookings.

Have any Aussies had any success in having the Free Classic Beverage Package^ offer added to existing bookings through Celebrity Aust, for bookings made prior to the offer start date?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

I have answered my own question.

Well after about 40 minutes on hold to X Oz, spoke to a helpful consultant.

Two outcomes.

Cruise that had gone beyond final payment (March 13 Sailing - South America) - No Go.

Cruise in January 2014 Asia - No problems, prices had not changed. They had to cancel and re-book because I booked on a special some time back where 50% deposit was payable only.

So worth the call I think.

Happy sailing all.

Pawkirk well done - I still have firm no from UK Celebrity on email so I am going to try the phone to TA and celebrity UK and celebrity US... it may be an interesting article for the UK travel news also to highlight that even now where global products are being sold and social media makes it all tranparent there are still anomalies ..

Hi all...would-be 1st time cruiser here. After a great deal of comparing, my girlfriend and I decided to book the Celebrity Eclipse eastbound TA this April. The 123go promotion really sealed it for us. It's advertised front and center on the celebritycruises.com homepage, which we were booking through, so we anticipated no problem. However, the verandah stateroom rate that really attracted us to this cruise is apparently not a '5 star rate' and therefore ineligible for the 123go! And the lowest 5 star rate for the same cabin was nearly *twice* the cost!! Only found this out when we called the celebrity operator to begin finalizing booking. As this post says, there is *no* way on the celebritycruises.com website to id a 5 star rate v. non 5 star rate.

Since it was only in the finest of print where this distinction was made, this really seems like a big-time bait and switch tactic. My opinion of Celebrity's business practices is about to take a big hit. I understand that a promotion may have hidden costs...but to promote the 123go so heavily and to hide the *doubled* rate necessary to be eligible for it?? It seems a shady, disreputable practice. But maybe I'm missing something? Glad for any advice

I'm planning on booking today and if I run into this issue, I'm going to be extraordinarily ******.

For all of you wanting smoothies and specialty waters, the best thing for you to do is to upgrade to the Premium package. That way you are covered for everything up to $12. I found the Classic package to be more than sufficient, but then I don't drink smoothies and am happy with the standard large bottle of water.

Even though you may think you should be able to get a smoothie because it is non-alcoholic, if you only have the Classic package, this will not happen. I have seen people fighting with the servers over this. It is not fair to the servers. They are just doing their job. There will be many unhappy people if they board with the assumption that they can "pick and choose" what they "think" should be included.

The $11.50/day upgrade charge is more than worth it if you covet these drinks.

@chrishb,

I have phoned Celebrity DE today - still a firm, but this time a polite! "No".

They asked me to forward them the information from this thread (especially post #630) via my TA and wanted to contact the headquarter in the US.

They cannot promise anything, but they will do a follow-up. The represent of Celebrity was embarrassed to hear that the US is breaking their own communicated rules.

As the promotion is extended for another two weeks, there is a good chance that my email to the Customer service department that is answered in time - although it is already open for nine working days now. Mmmhmm, is the respond time not 48 hours?!?

Currently, everybody outside the US is treated like a five-year old boy / girl standing outside a candy shop with no allowance to get in. I do not want to be the girl standing outside the candy shop.

Please Celebrity, I would like to receive a valid and fair explanation why a global company is not treating the customers fair and equally.

I have just received a feedback from my TA. They have been called by Celebrity to tell me that they won´t extend the beverage package promotion to my existing booking in October. I am really appalled by the behavior of Celebrity. I have sent them a mail via international contacts with all my contact data and they are not able to contact me directly but via my TA to whom they said that they shall inform me extensively about the promotion and regulations.

Not only that Celebrity treats customers outside the US as second class passengers, they also behave like the customers are stupid guys. As said it´s not the first time that I have made very special experience with the German Celebrity office...

Has anyone else been told that this promotion does NOT apply to SR rates?

yes, it does not apply to resident, military, senior. We also had to give up our $100 OBC for booking onboard to get the promo, but the savings on the beverage package more than makes up for the$100 we lost in OBC

Have been watching pricing in our category for upcoming cruise (final payment was in December) and they finally dropped yesterday. Contacted our TA, and was able to get drinks packages applied to our booking no problem - saved about $640.

We had originally booked under a Captains Club special last year where we saved $250 so we had to make up that $250 savings. But still worthwhile doing. We're happy :D

Edited by koolforkatz
clarity

For all of you wanting smoothies and specialty waters, the best thing for you to do is to upgrade to the Premium package. That way you are covered for everything up to $12. I found the Classic package to be more than sufficient, but then I don't drink smoothies and am happy with the standard large bottle of water.

Even though you may think you should be able to get a smoothie because it is non-alcoholic, if you only have the Classic package, this will not happen. I have seen people fighting with the servers over this. It is not fair to the servers. They are just doing their job. There will be many unhappy people if they board with the assumption that they can "pick and choose" what they "think" should be included.

The $11.50/day upgrade charge is more than worth it if you covet these drinks.

Any idea if there will be an issue getting virgin pina coladas and other frozen beverages? I don't really care about the smoothies but I did drink a lot of the frozen, virgin drinks with my premium non-alcohol. I am afraid that it will be considered non-alcoholic and therefore not covered in the classic plan. I also want to be able to order Frappes from Cafe al Bacio and there seems to be some confusion on this.

I have just received a feedback from my TA. They have been called by Celebrity to tell me that they won´t extend the beverage package promotion to my existing booking in October. I am really appalled by the behavior of Celebrity. I have sent them a mail via international contacts with all my contact data and they are not able to contact me directly but via my TA to whom they said that they shall inform me extensively about the promotion and regulations.

Not only that Celebrity treats customers outside the US as second class passengers, they also behave like the customers are stupid guys. As said it´s not the first time that I have made very special experience with the German Celebrity office...

Don't take this personally. It is normal operating procedure for Celebrity not to communicate with any passengers about specific issues relating to a booking if that person is booked through a Travel Agent. This seems to be an unwritten rule between TA's and the cruise lines at least in my experience in the USA. And who knows, it might even be in writing some place within contracts between the TAs and the cruise lines for all I know.

Edited by Lsimon

good question. can I get a virgin frozen drink on my classic package or is that "premium"? you would think adding low grade booze would be more expensive than a drink sans the booze.

thanks.

Hi Stellarose,

My guess is, you should be able to obtain a virgin frozen drink, but this is not confirmed. This is from Celebrity's websitre, and the Classic package mentions "Frozen Drinks up to $8 per serving" :

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic

I would think the bar server would be happy to omit the alcohol, but I will ask anyway :)

Hi Stellarose,

My guess is, you should be able to obtain a virgin frozen drink, but this is not confirmed. This is from Celebrity's websitre, and the Classic package mentions "Frozen Drinks up to $8 per serving" :

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic

I would think the bar server would be happy to omit the alcohol, but I will ask anyway :)

Andy, can you get clarification on the coffee drinks as well? I have seen mentioned that you can't get any of the last page coffee drinks but some of them (frappes) are only $5.00. I feel like I am obsessing on this but I need to decide if I should spend over $100.00 to upgrade to a package where I will use none of the alcohol benefits. My frequently purchased drinks on our last cruise were virgin, frozen drinks as well as croccantes and other fancy drinks on the last page at Cafe al Bacio menu. Wish Celebrity would make a definitive list on the packages.