Some observations about our Ryndam Cruise last week

DFD1

Our group of six old friends spent last week on the Ryndam.

Those of you concerned about her can rest easy. From our point of view, we found her in tip top condition. Lots of new carpet and new upholstry. All the systems seemed to work just fine.

Lots of fresh flowers and plants everywhere, even out around the Lido Pool.

The food was, with rare exception, very good. Service in the Main Dining Room was slow the first night, but after a gentle word with our waiter, was perfect the rest of the week.

The entertainment is much improved with smaller, more talented, more professonal and better produced acts. The pianist in the piano bar was the best we've seen in years. Lots of dancing in the Ocean Bar. There was a steel drum act at the pool every mid-day

No Air Conditoning problems, although the ladies complained that the public rooms where a bit chilly for their evening wear.

Our stateroom steward was efficient and pleasant. Room Service was tasty and timely.

All in all, we had a great time....and we left a note with the front desk pleading with HAL to keep the "S" class ships in the fleet as long as possible.

They are just perfect for cruisers like us.

Thank you so much for writing this. I was supposed to be on the Ryndam this week, but had to cancel. I have a CC friend who is on her now and I'l so happy that she will find everything in good condition.

Do you remember who the piano player was?

Piano Player's first name was James. He is just off the Statendam and her 28 day South Pacific cruise....the one which missed several ports because of the weather.

He is scheduled to be on the Veendam in May when she starts the Canada/New England Season.

He's a friendly and likeable (sp) fellow. Good piano player, too.

Piano Player's first name was James. He is just off the Statendam and her 28 day South Pacific cruise....the one which missed several ports because of the weather.

He is scheduled to be on the Veendam in May when she starts the Canada/New England Season.

He's a friendly and likeable (sp) fellow. Good piano player, too.

Thank you for getting back to me with that name. He's someone I don't know. We like to hang out at the piano bar in the evenings if the player is good and personable.

Good to hear about the Ryndam. Thank you.

Hopefully we will be on our third cruise on her in May. In 2007 she was the ship for our first ever cruise (Alaska) and we have great memories of that trip - we were then hooked on Holland America and their wonderful deluxe verandah suites with use of the Neptune lounge and Pinnacle breakfasts.

Last year we spent three weeks on board her on a cruise to the Canaries - another enjoyable cruise.

I was interested that you mentioned the fantastic fresh flower displays. I always mention them on my comments form. They make such a difference to the ambience of every HAL ship. I think the on board florists do an amazing job. I went to a flower arranging talk and heard that every ship gets a flower delivery each week of the year, but the florists have no idea what they are going to get, so just have to work with what they get. The budget is over $2 million per year! Money well spent in my opinion.

Our TA is under the impression she is eventually going to entice us away from HAL (no chance and she knows it really!) so keeps arranging lunches on board the ships of other lines when they are in Southampton - we go along and enjoy the lunches, but how often we comment on the lack of fresh flowers.

Thanks for the review. We were on the Ryndam for 14 days prior to your cruise. It was a great cruise ! I was worried before sailing with the very negative reviews that appeared on the CC review in December and during the Holidays.

There was what was listed as an "adagio group" on board. It was made up of a piano and a voilinist. They were very good and the Explorers Lounge was close to full every night.

Some friends of ours were on a HAL ship a few months ago and came home talking about how immature and inexperienced the "strings" were on their cruise.

The group of two was quite good on this cruise.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We were on for 7 days over New Year's and had an excellent time, which I reflected in my review. I expect the Adagio duet were the same women who we so enjoyed as the Explorer's Lounge was SRO all week long as they mentioned they were quite early in their contracts. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. :)

Thank you for the report. I have never been on the Ryndam but will be early December so am glad to hear any reports.

As I look back at photos of my last HAL cruise, I notice lots of photos of flowers on tables. Dining room tables, lounge tables, etc. I don't even remember taking the photos. But at the time I was evidently impressed by all the fresh flowers everywhere enough to take photos of them. I look forward to them on my Ryndam cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

These words make me feel like I made a great choice for December 2013. I don't have to have teh newest or largest ship, just one with great food, service, entertainment, and people looking to have a good time. Looks like I found my match in heaven.

Thank you for your report on the Ryndam. We are sailing on her in mid March and we also love the S class ships. Hope nuro is gone and that we have smooth sailing. We are all so lucky to be able to enjoy life with a cruise or two or three or four or five and on and on. Happy Sailing to All

There was what was listed as an "adagio group" on board. It was made up of a piano and a voilinist. They were very good and the Explorers Lounge was close to full every night.

Some friends of ours were on a HAL ship a few months ago and came home talking about how immature and inexperienced the "strings" were on their cruise.

The group of two was quite good on this cruise.

I talked with the two young ladies from Adagio on my cruise in December. From Russia, they were quite charming; warm, and friendly. My wife and I passed a couple of pleasant evenings listening to their array of well played classical music. Future cruisers, enjoy!

Archived