Silly questions questions from a newbie?

ShawRuff

I have some basic questions as this is my second cruise ever, 1st was 16 years ago and I do not even remember it. If I didn't have pictures I would not believe I was there.

1. What are these luggage tags that everyone is talking about?

2. Where does my super-sized suitcase go in the room?

3. What is considered "formal", will cocktail be okay? How can I pack enough shoes?

4. I am in AQ, is it possible to not eat from a buffet all week?

5. Are there any tricks to avoid sea-sickness?

6. How often do people miss the ship on the daily excursions? Should I book my own trips? I have checked my usual travel site and found some good day trips but don't want to get left.

7. Any advice fora newbie?

Thanks

Shawna

I have some basic questions as this is my second cruise ever, 1st was 16 years ago and I do not even remember it. If I didn't have pictures I would not believe I was there.

1. What are these luggage tags that everyone is talking about? Tags that go on luggage......with your room number on them. (You can order them after you print xpress pass, and the computer promps you)

2. Where does my super-sized suitcase go in the room? Under the bed unless it is TOO super-sized.

3. What is considered "formal", will cocktail be okay? Cocktail dress is fine. How can I pack enough shoes? You can't, if you're a woman.

4. I am in AQ, is it possible to not eat from a buffet all week?Yes, eat at places other than the buffet. (There are quite a few places)

5. Are there any tricks to avoid sea-sickness? Do you mean OTHER than not being on the sea? (Bonnine)

6. How often do people miss the ship on the daily excursions? Just once, and they are not on the ship anymore.Should I book my own trips? I have checked my usual travel site and found some good day trips but don't want to get left. We do our own thing. I haven't been left....yet!

7. Any advice fora newbie? Don't ask a smart aleck any questions.:rolleyes: But, give the waffles a try. ;)

Thanks Shawna

Have a great cruise. :)

You can order the luggage tags after you've paid your cruise in full and it's about 2 months out. On your reservations page a message will appear. They are just pre-printed strips that you wrap around your luggage handles - they have adhesive on them, similar to airline ones. If you don't have them, you can put some on at the dock. When you drop off your bigger pieces of luggage at the dock it goes through security and then those tags enable the stewards to bring them to you. Some people just print out and laminate their tags and some people make a really really big deal about it. It's not a big deal.

Luggage fits under the bed. If it's REALLY thick, you just open it up and put it under.

You will find a zillion "what to wear" threads here on Cruise Critic. Grab your popcorn and have fun reading. Remember only about 10 percent of cruisers are on this site. About those shoes: don't overpack them. I have about 75 at home but I pare down to a flat black and a heeled black for dinner; sandals; tennis; non-athletic for some tours or simply walking. Repeat bottoms too - I have a couple black slacks and skirts that I wear with everything and mix it up on the top.

Yes, you can avoid the buffet all week. We don't eat there too much either. Many options on the ship. Aqua Spa Cafe is open to all and often is quite empty. You will love Blu for dinner and breakfast, and do try all the specialty restaurants.

The independent excursions can be the best. They make their living doing this, and make every effort to get you back early. Just don't sign up for something that might be cutting it close. In certain places you might need to use the ship's excursions because of the distance and unpredictability (Panama Canal comes to mind). Get on your roll call and see what everyone is doing. Some of our best vacation days EVER have been on independent excursions that we found here or just looking on the internet.

Use the ship's port tours and recommended stores as an idea of where NOT to shop. They pay the ship to recommend them - you should buy your jewelry at home and support your local economy, and buy handcrafts and locally made items when traveling.

I don't get seasick; on small fishing boats my husband does, but has never on a cruise and we book the aft corners high decks.

Keep reading here but don't read so much that you miss the fun of discovery when you first get on board a new (to you) ship. Have fun!

1. What are these luggage tags that everyone is talking about? Between 4-6 weeks before your cruise, you can order them from My Celebrity--but you can also get some generic ones at the dock.

2. Where does my super-sized suitcase go in the room? Under the bed like Texed said, sometimes opened in half

3. What is considered "formal", will cocktail be okay? How can I pack enough shoes? Cocktail is fine, I just bring one pair of black dressy sandals and wear them every night no matter what else I am wearing

4. I am in AQ, is it possible to not eat from a buffet all week? Yes, you can eat breakfast and lunch many days in the main dining room (MDR), at the Aqua Spa cafe near the solarium, at the pool grille for hamburgers and hot dogs, snd on many ships at the yummy Bistro on 5 for crepes, paninis, etc for a $5 charge. I also don't like buffets, but often go up for lox and bagels. You can also order some room service.

5. Are there any tricks to avoid sea-sickness? Bonine works well but the ships are very stable and I never have issues

6. How often do people miss the ship on the daily excursions? Should I book my own trips? I have checked my usual travel site and found some good day trips but don't want to get left. Just be sure your trip provider knows you are on a cruise and knows what time you need to be back aboard. These folks make their living doing this and would soon be out of business if they made their pax miss the ship. We never ever take ship excursions, preferring to DIY in each port.

7. Any advice fora newbie? Yes. Find the roll call for your cruise and pre-meet your fellow cruisers. You may be able to join others on excursions, there may be on board activities planned, etc. A really great and useful feature of Cruise Critic!! And above all, enjoy your cruise!!!

Thanks

Shawna

Texed had it right--I'm just elaborating a bit!

Since you're in Aqua Class, your assigned restaurant it Blu. Most people select Aqua Class just to be able to eat in Blu where they serve an exceptional breakfast and dinner. If you choose, you can also go to the main dining room.

If you go to the "Roll Call" section here on Cruise Critic, you can find the roll call for your specific cruise and may be able to find out what others are planning in port. If you book a ship excursion and there's any delay on your return, the ship will wait for you. If you book privately, they have no obligation to do so. Having said that, we book many private trips but allow a one to two hour window to return before departure time.

1. What are these luggage tags that everyone is talking about?

2. Where does my super-sized suitcase go in the room?

3. What is considered "formal", will cocktail be okay? How can I pack enough shoes?

4. I am in AQ, is it possible to not eat from a buffet all week?

6. How often do people miss the ship on the daily excursions? Should I book my own trips? I have checked my usual travel site and found some good day trips but don't want to get left.

7. Any advice fora newbie?

Thanks

Shawna

Hi Shawna;

Welcome to Cruise Critic, I'm sure you'll have a great time, and this time, you'll have so many pictures you'll never forget this cruise:D;).

1. Luggage tags are what will get your luggage from dockside onto the proper ship and into the proper room(they have the name of your ship, your name, and your room number printed on them). You'll either order them from the Celebrity website, print them out yourself on a personal printer, or wait until you get to the dock and have them written out right then and there, and stuck onto your bags. (One tip: If you're flying from home to your port, wait until you get your bags back to put on any Celebrity luggage tags. Putting them on before checking your bags in at the airport will cause much confusion, heartache, and possibly having them removed because they confuse baggage handlers).

2. Your super sized luggage can either go into the closet or under the bed.

3. "Formal" for ladies can range from dressy pants/top combos, to long gowns, to cocktail attire. Yes, it is possible to travel with a limited amount of shoes and look fantastic (this is coming from a "Shoeaholic" and lifelong woman). I had 2 pairs of high heeled shoes, a pair of loafer type shoes with rubber soles(worn onto the ship), a pair of sneakers, and a pair of flip-flops. Yes, I did formal nights! Using neutral colors in shoes is best because they go with every color. The two pairs of heels(one gold metallic and strappy, the other was close to my skin tone and a bit more casual wedge heel sandal) carried me through very well in both formal and smart casual nights. Pick a heel height that is workable and stick to neutrals.

4. It's absolutely possible to do this. Blu is your assigned restaurant, but you're free to eat in any of the specialty restaurants(surcharges applies), the Aqua Spa Cafe, and the MDR with Select seating.

5. There are the usual over the counter remedies found at any pharmacy(Bonine is pretty popular), as well as sea sickness bands and patches. Ginger tea and/or candies also work to combat nausea for some, and sometimes seasickness will go away on its own after a little bit(after a while, I don't even notice the rocking, and it puts me to sleep at night). Staying out on the upper decks as much as possible worked for my brother-in-law for his first time on a cruise (being outside helped a lot and didn't make him feel closed in).

6. I can't really comment on this, as I've never booked a tour with the ship or on my own(we usually do our own thing and look online and plan our own activities).

7. Have an amazing time, don't be afraid to try new things, sign up for the Roll Call for your cruise(you can "meet" some fellow cruisers before you sail) and yes, the waffles are smashing:D, so make sure you get one that's freshly made, not from under the heat lamp.

When it hits while at sea try green apples (seriously, got this from a crew member). But, if you're particularly susceptible to sea sickness you may want to invest in a Relief Band. It looks like a sport watch and goes on one wrist. Two camera batteries power it to send an adjustable pulse into your wrist to equalize your inner ear. I bought one for my husband years ago and he's never had a problem since.

Enjoy your cruise!

If your luggage doesn't fit under the bed, ask your room steward to hold it for you....no problem.

We dine in Blu for dinner and either Blu of the elite breakfast (we are captain's club elite). Lunch at the poolside grill (hamburgers/fries) or aqua spa cafe...occasionally in the main dining room. We go to the buffet for lunch only if we have a mad craving for something they cook on the spot (stir fry), pasta or a sandwich. Now that they've added eggs benedict to blu (at least on the millenium) we don't have to go to the buffet to get it. Oh...we eat at the cafe B'accio (crepes) on boarding day.

I am buffet phobic, having gotten very sick at a buffet at home. I don't know who touched the tongs last or who tried something and put it back when they didn't like it (I've seen this too many times on ships)....then there was the gentleman on our last trip who munched on french fries picked up from the buffet tray with his fingers while waiting for his food to be cooked.....ugh!

thanks for the answers.

Will also be booking aqua class,but not sure WHAT the upgrades are (waiting for brochure).

Priority embarkation? is this just a separate line and are others usually packed?

Can I get a FULL breakfast by room service,not just continental?

Not sure what is meant by "assigned resturant being Blu,just for Aqua and is it different than all the others onboard?

Have been on other ships(but they were considered luxury(Seabourn,Regent,SeaDream,etc)..everything was all inclusive so all these extras are sort of confusing.But Celebrity seems to get good reviews and want to see Southern Caribbean over xmas(so good fit).;)

thanks for the answers.

Will also be booking aqua class,but not sure WHAT the upgrades are (waiting for brochure).

Priority embarkation? is this just a separate line and are others usually packed?

Can I get a FULL breakfast by room service,not just continental?

Not sure what is meant by "assigned resturant being Blu,just for Aqua and is it different than all the others onboard?

Have been on other ships(but they were considered luxury(Seabourn,Regent,SeaDream,etc)..everything was all inclusive so all these extras are sort of confusing.But Celebrity seems to get good reviews and want to see Southern Caribbean over xmas(so good fit).;)

The major upgrade is eating in the Blu restaurant...much quieter with better service than the MDR. There are also spa features. The celebrity site lists all the things you get. Ignore the wording....you get all the concierge class features plus those listed under Aqua class. The only folks who can eat in Blu are those who are in Aqua staterooms or, if there is space available, suite guests can be accomodated for dinner.

Priority embarkation is more a marketing thing than anything else. There are so many lines and stations that there is generally very little wait. Occasionally there are so many with priority embarkation that it would be faster to just go with those who don't have priority :)

You can order a full breakfast in your room from a menu.

I would like to respond to the seasickness question, as I am one who is very affected by motion. First, with due respect to those who say the ships are stable so you won't feel it - you are WRONG. If the seas are calm, you won't feel it. I've been in 30' seas in the Caribbean - believe me, you would feel it then! If you are one of the lucky ones who are not affected, then it may not bother you. My DH is one of those, unfortunately I am not. The ships are large, and they do have good stabilizers, so they certainly ride smoother than the smaller ships, or those I cruised on 30 years ago. But to potentially send a newbie onboard assuring them they will not feel the motion so they are unprepared to deal with it - not a good idea.

But don't let motion sickness scare you away. I have been on 30+ cruises despite a tendency for it, and with all the things you can do to prevent and treat it, it should not stand in your way. You can search for various remedies on these boards. Here are my suggestions:

- until you know how the seas are and how you will react, take a meclizine starting the day before (also known as Bonine or Dramamine II). Do not wait until you feel bad - easier to prevent than to cure!

- get a cabin on a lower floor mid-ship - less motion

- keep some food in your stomach - avoid greasy food and alcohol

- try ginger tablets (these thin your blood - if this is a potential health issue as your doctor)

- bring along some regular Dramamine. It makes you more tired, but for me at least it works better than meclizine if the seas are really rough

- never tried the green apple thing but sailors swear by it

- if you feel woozy - get some fresh air on deck and look at the shoreline

- lying down helps me if I get really woozy

- some people swear by the Scopolomine patch - I don't like it. You can ask your doctor if you can take higher doses of the meclizine than what is on the package if needed (the prescription dose is higher than the OTC).

Just jumping on here; hope you don't mind. I may sound like a cheapskate in not wanting to pay to have clothing ironed, but I was wondering if you can borrow an iron on the cruise. I think most of the stuff will come out without being too wrinkled, but in case it does, wanted to figure out what to do - other than just hanging stuff in the bathroom with the shower on!)

I know you can have Celebrity iron stuff, but I was hoping to keep the cost of this cruise down! On previous cruises (another line) I've been spoiled by having a DIY laundry room available, so wrinkled and sweaty, dirty clothing wasn't something I ever worried about.

There are no irons available for passenger use. It is forbidden to bring irons and steamers. Some have good luck using products like Downy Wrinkle Release, some hang things in the bathroom while they shower to let them steam as you mentioned, some use various packing tips to minimize wrinkles, some just wear their clothes as is and pay no attention. YMMV

Thanks for the replies.

BTW- I am booked on the Reflection, Apr 13, San Juan, St. Kitts, St.Marteen.

I think I will be okay with the seasickness. More worried about eating at a buffet, name a restaurant and I have gotten sick there. So I try not to eat at any buffets or food that may have been sitting. I usually order food "special" to ensure that it is fresh.

Thanks for the tip about giving my suitcase to the room steward. My bag is very large as I like to pack for any and every occasion, including multiple flip-flops, bathing suits.

New question:

Are the restaurants cold, will I need a jacket?

Shawna, I'm about to go on Summit, not your ship, but I assume it has similar restaurants, at least for the basic ones. We are on a Caribbean itinerary, too, but not the exact same itinerary, as we go to St. Maarten but not St. Kitts. In any case, I plan to check out the little restaurant in the Spa area (Aqua Spa Cafe) - apparently open to all, with no extra charge. I am hoping that it is less crowded, and with more "made to order" foods (though I may be TOTALLY wrong on that!) than the buffet for lunch and breakfast. Of course, the selection is rather limited. The menus can be found in the FAQs section.

For future reference, should you decide to get hooked on cruising as I have but want something where fewer people have handled serving spoons, and things don't sit as long on the buffet: We love Oceania Cruises, because they have a breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet in addition to their sit down breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffet, however, is served by their staff and so the chances of picking up germs from another cruiser is controlled a little more. They also, on their 2 larger ships, have a wonderful "made to order" grill for dinner with salmon, lamb chops, steaks, etc., Of course, Oceania is more expensive than Celebrity, although not drastically so once you figure out what O. adds in and Celeb charges for, but it's a great line.

I pack A LOT. I had the biggest suitcase you are allowed to check on a plane and I was able to fit it under the bed. I also packed 13-15 pairs of shoes (don't remember final count). I was just smart about packing them:

wear the heaviest/bulkiest on plane, stuff socks/undies/etc. in sneakers or heels. Pack shoes into other bags (my small carry-on suitcase I stuffed with shoes and blow-dryer/flat iron). They didn't weigh my carry-on suitcase so I stuffed that thing all the way!

One thing- shoe storage was hard on the ship. I ended up keeping some items in the suitcase under the bed and used it as a drawer... I just slid it out from under

And I did not go over weight on the large, checkde bag. We did a 12 night med cruise. I reccomend doing a trial run and laying out clothes weeks ahead of time. That way you can slowly pull out pieces you think you won't use. Whereas packing just a few days before you might be tempted to bring it all!

And I carried a cardigan with me every night.

Thanks for the replies.

BTW- I am booked on the Reflection, Apr 13, San Juan, St. Kitts, St.Marteen.

I think I will be okay with the seasickness. More worried about eating at a buffet, name a restaurant and I have gotten sick there. So I try not to eat at any buffets or food that may have been sitting. I usually order food "special" to ensure that it is fresh.

The buffet has made to order eggs and omletts that are served directly on your plate. Not put in lines or have been sitting. Same with toasts etc. There are several things that have not been sitting. The MDR also will serve your "special" requests for all meals, and Room Service will deliver them fresh as well.

Hi everyone. I have booked a Celebrity cruise on the Constellation for spring next year. I've never been on Celebrity. I will be traveling with my husband and 13 year old son.

Our son, having older parents, is very well traveled. My question, I'm wondering if there are usually a hand full of tweens or teens on Celebrity ships?

Thanks for your input.:confused:

In my previous post, I mentioned that I am "buffet phobic" as well as the OP. However, there are a number of areas of the buffet where you can have excellent food served without the chance of anyone else having contaminated it or the serving utensils.

For breakfast, you can get waffles put on your plate directly from the waffle irons (you don't have to take the ones sitting in a bin); you can have eggs and omelettes made to order and put directly on your plate; ditto with eggs Benedict and other creations using poached eggs. We generally opt for Blu or the MDR for breakfast, but if I get an urge for waffles or eggs benedict, we do go to the buffet.

Lunch gives you a number of choices as well....there is a pasta to order station where they cook it and put it directly on your plate; sandwiches are made to order; there is a stir fry section as well which is cook to order. I enjoy a pasta lunch every so often, so we do go to the buffet but otherwise we eat elsewhere.

Other options for lunch are the aqua spa cafe where everything is plated and you just take the whole plate...or the pool grill where they cook excellent hamburgers/cheesburgers and you can ask for one directly off the grill instead of one that's been sitting. The french fries here are outstanding, by the way.

Hi everyone. I have booked a Celebrity cruise on the Constellation for spring next year. I've never been on Celebrity. I will be traveling with my husband and 13 year old son.

Our son, having older parents, is very well traveled. My question, I'm wondering if there are usually a hand full of tweens or teens on Celebrity ships?

There are always a few teens and younger on every "normal" cruise. Not sure if there will be any on the antarctica cruises, for example...but that's not a normal cruise. There were actually many on our recent asian B2B cruises out of singapore on the Millenium.

Having said that, there really is no way to know for a specific cruise. Schools in different country have different vacation times, there are many home schooled teens and so on....so the chances are very good that there will be other teens on your cruise

I usually travel at non-holiday (spring break) times and there has always been a few teens on the cruise. If you are traveling during spring break, I'd bet your son will run into quite a few kids his age.

Archived