Celebrity Discouraging CC gatherings?

FLsunshinegal

In the past on our transatlantic sailings we've had a bunch of activities with our fellow CC'ers. Someone just posted that she had met with the staff on a fall cruise and they were discouraging these get-togethers as they were singling out a group for special treatment that others on board didn't receive.

Anyone have any further information on this?

Thanks,.

In the past on our transatlantic sailings we've had a bunch of activities with our fellow CC'ers. Someone just posted that she had met with the staff on a fall cruise and they were discouraging these get-togethers as they were singling out a group for special treatment that others on board didn't receive.

Thanks,.

I've never heard about "discouraging", but on our December cruise we didn't have a Connections party. And it was very upsetting.

I am getting that feeling too. On our last cruise (and many others have reported the same thing on other cruises) I didn't receive an invitation to the Cruise Connections Party. I learned the date/time at our Sailaway party.

Honestly, it is better to just organize your own Roll Call activities as its not like Celebrity rolls out the red carpet for the CC party. We had more fun at our poker run, cabin crawl and slot pull IMO.

We had one on our November cruise. It was at 10:00am on the first port day. It was quite embarrassing; there were 3 or 4 CC members and probably 7 or 8 officers, including the Captain. I realize that it was bad timing, but if attendance is that small at others as well, I don't think I would blame them for not wanting to do them.

We also did not receive an invite on our December cruise on the Summit. It was posted by the Guest Relations Desk. I found out by calling. The personI talked with at the party stated that she did not receive the attendees names before sailing and thus could not send out invitations.

Nothing could be further from the truth of how we were treated on the Century in November/December. We had about 75 show up of the Meet & MIngle. The Captain, Cruise Director and other senior officers attended our Meet & Mingle. They reserved a slot machine for our slot pull, Michael's Club for our photo scavenger hunt. They set us up in a separate section of the MDR for our farewell lunch and the Captain dropped by.

I don't always go to the CC gathering because the times aren't always good for me, but on our last sailing on the Equinox over Christmas it was wonderful! Several officers showed up and stayed for quite a while mingling with everyone. In addition, there were nice hors d'oevres and (non-alcoholic) drinks for us, and Celebrity provided name tags for everyone. It was held in the wine bar. Great little party!

It doesn't bother me one way or another as long as it doesn't interfere or eliminate other activities that are for the passengers. If they are giving something extra that is not available to all passengers than I would feel that is wrong.

I am a member but I choose not to participate in any of the CC events. On crusies manynpassengers have told me that they are members of CC and that is why they are really in the know. I just listen and play dumb. It is amazing to hear people babble when you have experienced the same thing. They have good intentions, it doesn't cost me anything and it makes them feel good. Funny thing is many think that it is a real privledge and make it sound as if not anyone can be a member. Never had anyone say all you have to do is go to the site and register to be a member.

We had one on our November cruise. It was at 10:00am on the first port day. It was quite embarrassing; there were 3 or 4 CC members and probably 7 or 8 officers, including the Captain. I realize that it was bad timing, but if attendance is that small at others as well, I don't think I would blame them for not wanting to do them.

No surprise there were so few of you. Why would they schedule it for 10:00 am on the first port day? That is when everyone is leaving the ship to go into port. It's almost like they didn't want you to meet. Very strange if you ask me.

Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. Lot of groups book Celebrity and have activities scheduled just for them -- standard operating procedure, not special treatment. And, it isn't like Celebrity doesn't get tons of free advertising from the posts & reviews on this board, as well as word-of-mouth recommendations by members of this forum. Sounds to me like a few lazy staff members, who don't want to do their jobs! :rolleyes:

Our party on Reflection was well attended in Michael's Club with a few pastries provided. Several officers and the cruise director attended. We stayed about 45 minutes and went on with our morning. I believe Celebrity also printed the name-tags as well.

No surprise there were so few of you. Why would they schedule it for 10:00 am on the first port day? That is when everyone is leaving the ship to go into port. It's almost like they didn't want you to meet. Very strange if you ask me.

I was on that cruise with Nancy and we were 2 of the pax who did show up.

This cruise was very port intensive....the first sea day was not till

5 days in but I did speak with event coordinator and told her they could

have scheduled it for later in the day and possibly more people would

have attended because they would have been back from port.

It was not strange...it was stupid:rolleyes::eek:

Hey, Lois. How is everything going. Cold here today - high 50's.

I was on Reflection Feb 9 - 16 and they had it scheduled on the first sea day, Sunday, about 10am in Michael's. The CD sent a rep (I can't remember if the actual CD attended or not), a number of officers attended, as well as the hotel director. The CD introduced the officers, including the hotel director and the IT manager, my DH took note, and my DH ended up reaching the IT manager later on as he had questions (being in IT himself).

They provided name tags at ours, which makes me think they didn't get the memo either.

I kind of think it is a matter of the CD, maybe the hotel director, and how busy they are. As to officers, it looks to me as though the CD grabs whatever officers he finds that don't get out of the way fast enough.

Hey, Lois. How is everything going. Cold here today - high 50's.

Hi Nancy:) doing ok...going on Silhouette in April:)

We have 2 sea days so I am guessing the CC gathering will be

on the first one;)...we sail on a Sunday and Monday is a sea day

so I think that is when they will hold it.

I don't think they are trying to discourage anything, but what do I know?:eek:

We had good turn outs for both halves of our Summit Caribbean sailings in January. Unfortunately, the first day on one leg was a port day, but we still had a good number there. I forget who was at which, but do remember the CD, captain, and other officers.

j

Thanks,.

Since I was the one who posted on our roll call about this I feel I need to clarify what I said. I didn't say I had a meeting with staff about the subject. It was a conversation with some higher up staff members and the subject came up in the conversation. I did not say they were discouraging get togethers because of special treatment.

First of all this was not regarding the CC get together that they do on every cruise. That is something that they are glad to provide and many times they have more than one on longer cruises. It was regarding multiple requests for special luncheons, pub crawls, wine tastings, martini tastings or other special events that members would like to have that involve "increased staffing" and use of facilities. They just say that it is becoming increasingly difficult to accommodate these kinds of multiple requests on the same cruise.

It is only my opinion that we need to be thoughtful about our expectations when requesting special treatment and perhaps just give a thought to the effect of too many requests on one cruise. I just feel that asking for four or five special events may be taking advantage of their good will. There are plenty of things that can be organized by members themselves that don't require much help from staff.

Celebrity always does their best to please Cruise Critic members just as they try to provide a great experience for everyone on the ship.

Here is a link to my post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37241770&postcount=2193

CC Party: "We are Elite" We have been on # cruises" Hi we are Elite too and have been on #+ cruises." Then we all chow down on pastry and boast. One upmanship. What a great time. Sorry folks. but that is the way I see it.

Attendance is not compulsory! If it doesn't appeal to you, don't go, but please don't put down others who do enjoy it.

Oh, I almost forgot to say - I am Elite and have been on 16 cruises.:D;)

I don't always go to the CC gathering because the times aren't always good for me, but on our last sailing on the Equinox over Christmas it was wonderful! Several officers showed up and stayed for quite a while mingling with everyone. In addition, there were nice hors d'oevres and (non-alcoholic) drinks for us, and Celebrity provided name tags for everyone. It was held in the wine bar. Great little party!

CC Party: "We are Elite" We have been on # cruises" Hi we are Elite too and have been on #+ cruises." Then we all chow down on pastry and boast. One upmanship. What a great time. Sorry folks. but that is the way I see it.

I would guess that longer cruises, like transatlantics and Hawaiians, would attract more CCers than 4,5,or 7 day short cruises, and less port intensive itineraries play a roll as well. :cool:

Last spring's Solstice CC event had to be held in the MDR as it was the only place on board big enough for the (I believe) 240 people :eek: who came!

This year we have 170+ signed up for the Silhouette meet and greet! :)

I never experienced ESS (Elite Snobbery Syndrome :rolleyes:) at any CC events...

I thought that was reserved strictly for the Nightly Elite Cocktail party? :p

It does seem strange and stupid. Why on earth would anyone ever schedule in the morning on a port day? Should realize few people would ever attend. Defeats the purpose.

Personally - I don't think Celebrity or any cruise line has any obligation to provide any "extra" service not paid extra for or specifically negotiated as part of a group booking to any group. It has the potential to take away service/staff from the other passengers.

Groups should do their own planning and not expect special treatment.

Archived