Jeans in MDR

Simple question: Are jeans common in the MDR for adults (non formal nights of course)? Worn with either a button down shirt (short or long sleeve), or a nice polo shirt.

Im sure no one will stop you from entering and eating in the MDR, but wanted to know if it was typical, or a little more frowned upon.

Honestly, I cant imagine it being a big deal, but I havent cruised in a few years.

My husband wears dark jeans frequently for casual nights and I have worn jeans on some of our European cruises. He also wore dark black denim for a formal night when he forgot to take his dress pants. No one seemed to notice or care.

I think what you are planning sounds very appropriate.

Sherri:)

they have casual, smart casual and formal nights on the ships. I think Jeans have come a long way in fashion in recent years. While they used to be strictly casual and typically lighter washes. Now dark denim is commony worn by people going out for an evening. I personally don't think a pair of nice dark denim jeans on just the casual nights is a big deal. It is also not uncommon on any sailings I have been on. I think they have even been common on smart casual nights, but I personally will only wear dark denim on nights designated casual.

Now jeans to formal night.... different story ;)

I wear jeans on most casual and some formal nights.

On casual nights they are fairly common. On formal nights, they are not common but you still see a few (including mine! :D)

Celebrity dress code is more formal. Royal is much more relaxed.

Depending on the jeans, please no bib overhauls LOL My lady sometimes wears designer jeans that cost more than some of the nice dresses many wear, so why not, NO ONE except a few really care.

Having said that, depends on the cruise, Jeans are heavy, packing light is important, on European cruises, or SE Asia.

Our opinion is based on our cruising style, we are cruise travelers, not just cruisers, who spend (lots) of extra time either before or after our cruise, if it is in another continent.

My older children have all at some time or another worn smart jeans in the main dining room.

I think wearing jeans anywhere and everywhere is the norm now,I know when I was younger people couldn't get into nightclubs etc with jeans on but now they are accepted everywhere,but jeans have smartened up more these days though:D

Caribbean - probably some of the most informal dress requirements...

Jeans are not listed anywhere in the dress code suggestions on the RCI website. Having said that, they are fine to wear in the MDR, but honestly we do not wear them in the Caribbean as they are too heavy to pack and can be hot. We opt for lighter weight fabrics in lighter colors.

Have a great cruise. :)

Depending on the jeans, please no bib overhauls LOL My lady sometimes wears designer jeans that cost more than some of the nice dresses many wear, so why not, NO ONE except a few really care.

Having said that, depends on the cruise, Jeans are heavy, packing light is important, on European cruises, or SE Asia.

Our opinion is based on our cruising style, we are cruise travelers, not just cruisers, who spend (lots) of extra time either before or after our cruise, if it is in another continent.

The "BIB Overhaul" made me laugh!

I wasn't planning on taking that! LOL It does remind me of a warehouse employee we have (I work in a large distribution center) that wears jeans bib overalls with no undershirt, and is quite a heavy and hairy character - and it is HOT here. You can have the visual!

You will note from my signature that I have taken far more cruises on Carnival than on Royal, that being said, I have certainly seen a fair share of jeans in the dining room on most cruises (Celebrity excepted). I still would hesitate to call it "common" to see them, however, seeing far more people wearing casual slacks than jeans on all the cruises that I've been on at least. No flamers, I'm just stating MY observations. Someone wearing jeans is certainly not going to feel tremendously under dressed on casual nights, they will, however, not be the "norm".

I love reading threads like this. As for DW and myself, can't really say what most people are wearing to MDR. Quite frankly, we are not ones to notice these things.

But reading this, I am going to make a point to see what people wear on each night when in the MDR. LOL

Seriously, if neat and clean, to me it doesn't matter if wearing jeans, casual, or dress slacks.

Archived