Oceania & Acapulco

Lrob

I am interested in some opinions regarding my December Panama canal cruise on the Regatta and the Acapulco port of call. I will begin with:

This is not about safety or crime. I am not afraid of Mexico. I love it and travel there on land vacations - will be there a week in November. If the ship stops in Acapulco, I will go ashore. Having gotten that out of the way:

There are quite a few problems occurring in the general area and it does not seem like that great of a port. OK for golf and could be fun to see the cliff divers for 30 minutes, but I really don't see a lot of value in this port stop otherwise. I find myself wishing it would be dropped with PV added or an extra day in Cabo. I would even be happier with Mazatlan (but I don't see this happening even though I feel that it is currently safer than Acapulco). I would really love a Panama stop instead. Princess has a great itinerary on their cruise at same time frame, but I am want to go on Oceania.

Am I alone in my thoughts about Acapulco? Am I missing something wondering why this port is on the list of stops? I am willing to accept that I may be wrong about this. Thoughts?

I am interested in some opinions regarding my December Panama canal cruise on the Regatta and the Acapulco port of call. I will begin with:

This is not about safety or crime. I am not afraid of Mexico. I love it and travel there on land vacations - will be there a week in November. If the ship stops in Acapulco, I will go ashore. Having gotten that out of the way:

There are quite a few problems occurring in the general area and it does not seem like that great of a port. OK for golf and could be fun to see the cliff divers for 30 minutes, but I really don't see a lot of value in this port stop otherwise. I find myself wishing it would be dropped with PV added or an extra day in Cabo. I would even be happier with Mazatlan (but I don't see this happening even though I feel that it is currently safer than Acapulco). I would really love a Panama stop instead. Princess has a great itinerary on their cruise at same time frame, but I am want to go on Oceania.

Am I alone in my thoughts about Acapulco? Am I missing something wondering why this port is on the list of stops? I am willing to accept that I may be wrong about this. Thoughts?

Not sure what you are asking..the port will not be changed so are you asking if you should not go on the trip because of Azacapulco..sorry, I am confused..

Jancruz1

I'm rather with Jan. Acapulco has been on this itinerary from the beginning. We visited there in January 2004. Admittedly times may have changed since then but we had no problems.

We negotiated a tour with a cab driver for 4 people and had a lovely day, including a view of the divers. We saw some of the ship's tours at their various stops as well.

While you might prefer a different port, it's probably not going to happen.

Mura

Not suggesting that a new port will be added. I booked the cruise fully aware of this stop. Just wondering what people think of this port - if it is a really good I would like to know so I can keep that in mind. Or, do people agree with my thoughts on this port. I am interested in what people who have been there think. Just wondering others perspectives that's all.

We were there last winter. Like the OP I did not think there would be a lot to interest me here. Also there were many articles in the summer on dangers. Not too mention much government websites and warnings.

We visited several other ports in Mexico and thoroughly enjoyed them but thought I would take this a relaxing day on board. Nothing I knew of that would draw me to a tour and the ship IS a nice place to be. The weather was perfect.

There were others who stayed on board as there are others who stay on board in many ports. By far the majority did go ashore on ship tours, private tours and on their own. Some friends came back from their taxi tour and were exuberant telling us about the fantastic day they had. No horror stories heard and everyone arrived back.

Tip: right where our shipped docked is a Maritime (Navy?) site & museum that I was told was a worthwhile visit if you want to at least get off the ship but not venture far.

We had a great day on board. Hope you enjoy your cruise too

Oh, also transiting the Panama Canal tip: It will rain, then stop, rinse and repeat

Lrob, I see you replied just before me. Perhaps also check the Ports of Call section here on CC . You might get a various opinions from those who post there often

Forgot to add - sorry if I gave the impression I was expecting a port change. My comments about other ports were just musings about other places in Mexico. Maybe it would have been better to say: Is Aca better than the spa & pool for the day? Thanks.

I'll add further comments, too.

Despite the fact that our trip was 9 years ago, we thoroughly enjoyed the day in Acapulco. We did indeed drive out of town and didn't spend any time in the city. I just checked to see if I had a diary for this trip and apparently I did not, so I'm going by memory.

I know that we had a few stops going outside of town for views, photos, etc. We visited two fancy hotels that were on the ship's tour itinerary and ended up at a good viewing spot for the divers. We enjoyed the day very much and based on that I would NOT say that you are better of staying on board for a spa visit. This was probably a 3-4 hour tour.

But if you would prefer a spa visit, that's a justified decision.

We did enjoy Cabo and Puerto Vallarta more, I think, but I wouldn't dismiss Acapulco. (I remember my parents abandoning us when I was about 5 and my sister was 3 for a trip to Acapulco which they loved ... but that was many, MANY years ago!)

Mura

We have stopped there several times

1)went to the fort across from the port

2) took a private tour with some CC members with a local guide ..very enjoyable day to many sites in the area

3) walked around the port area & spent the rest of the day on the ship

We been to Cabo many times as well & do not enjoy it ..too touristy now

We took a tour to San Jose Del cabo ...much nicer

They could drop Mexico I would not miss it...but that is just me

Everyone sees things from their own perspective

We were docked in Acapulco in January 2010 as part of the Panama Canal crossing cruise. To be truthful, we did not like it. We got off the ship and walked to the fort and then walked up to where the divers are. We found a nice beach on the way back and had some beers. We then walked down the beach from the ship and watched the fishermen bring in their catch. We weren't thrilled with the beach or the water.

We had a great time in Cabo. We went whale watching on a Zodiac that we arranged privately. Stayed out for hours watching two males breach as they were trying to impress a female. Fabulous time.

Casablanca is another port that Oceania leaves on the itinerary and most do not like. There are lots of nicer ports then Casa but O continues to leave it on.

We had an absolutely fabulous private guide in Acapulco that made our visit truly special. Not sure I can "legally" post since you did not ask for a guide but if you send me an email I will be happy to share. I can guarantee that you will have an amazing experience with him.

:)

We had an absolutely fabulous private guide in Acapulco that made our visit truly special. Not sure I can "legally" post since you did not ask for a guide but if you send me an email I will be happy to share. I can guarantee that you will have an amazing experience with him.

Just a short observation, we did a shore excursion to ride horses on the beach some distance from Acapulco and had a marvellous time. However, our tour bus was stopped by a motorcycle cop (who with mirrored sunglasses and ivory handled gun looked like a cross between General Patton and a southern sheriff) for over 30 minutes as he tried to get his bribe from our guide. He did not appear to be successful, but it was unnerving, unnecessary and bad for Acapulco's reputation. Mexican people were wonderful and it was a nice city to see, from the bus and the ship!

Forgot to add - sorry if I gave the impression I was expecting a port change. My comments about other ports were just musings about other places in Mexico. Maybe it would have been better to say: Is Aca better than the spa & pool for the day? Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification..I have been there many times (as my best friend moved from CA to ACA years ago) and I really like it..much to see and do, if you like to shop great stores and food is excellent although I no longer eat there as I get older my stomach is more sensitive..spend the day at the Princess or any of the other great hotels..check on Travel Advisor for some fun things to do..me, I shop, shop and shop

Jancruz1

I liked Acapulco, took a HAL ship's tour that we thoroughly enjoyed: the fort/museum (opened for us), the divers (performed for us), an old hotel that Hollywood stars used to frequent, a chapel high up on a hill with a wonderful view of the bay, a short stop at a silver store. We had a good guide. I liked the small stores in the port facility, bought excellent candy and a beautiful hand-crafted Mexican tray that we had never seen before.

I also liked Huatulco (bird watching tour) and Puerto Vallarta (walked around town), less so Puerto Chiapas (mangrove tour), not at all Cabo (off-road fourwheeler).

I found Acapulco to be a depressing snapshot. ...memories of when it was a great destination decades ago. Now, not so much...

Yes, saw the fort, saw the divers, saw the pretty vistas....no big deal. Even the diver experience seemed threadbare.

However, saw too much of the other side of the coin....and we had an overnight there.

If I ever returned, I would budget an hour or two on shore...and spend the rest of the day onboard. :p

We were in Acapulco last year on our Panama Canal cruise. Husband and friends went ashore and enjoyed a passable day (Stars' hotel, divers, etc.). They felt it was similar to Cabo - touristy and overdeveloped. I stayed aboard in Acapulco, lounged and enjoyed a lazy day visiting with friends (YoHoHo and DW, actually) and enjoying the weather. Had a wonderful time aboard a sparsely populated ship, and I remember it fondly!

Huatulco, on the other hand, was loads of fun. Smaller town with less touristy feel - just a block away from the plaza the shops reverted to local shops. I even found a fabric shop and bought some yardage I could not have found in the U.S. - that's gold for a quilter! This port isn't on a lot of the cruise ships itineraries, so it hasn't been overdeveloped like Cabo and Acapulco. We hired a small boat for the day. The owner was sincere, friendly and accomodating - he said they have had no safety problems in their city, but that because of the troubles elsewhere in Mexico their business was really off too. We snorkeled, visited several quiet coves and then a locals' beach bar for fabulous guacamole and drinks. We got to see sea turtles close up and it has a beautiful coastline - white beaches and rocky cliffs with crashing waves. Definitely less stressful than the tourist rush you get in Cabo (and DH says in Acapulco too). My only regret in Huatulco was that we all wish we had taken more cash ashore to leave with our wonderful boat "captain." A really nice young man working hard to make a living for his family in difficult times. We left more than the "standard" tip - all five in our group went back to the ship with not a penny (or peso) in our wallets. Now that's a good day, when you've cleaned out your wallet and wish you could have spent more time and money.

We did a ship sponsored boat tour(Princess)around the bay, saw the dive show from the water, and returned to the ship. Our pickup/dropoff literally shared the ship's docking area so we did not go into town. A delicious lunch was included and the diver's came onboard after the show. Yes, it was touristy but we enjoyed it.

We are on the reverse itinerary, San Francisco to NYC, in August. O dropped Acapulco and added Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala.

We did this port years ago and loved it. The ship had a DIY excursion (RT transportation only) to Antigua, a UNESCO colonial town up in the highlands. I arranged a private walking tour for 20 at a rate of $10pp and the young man who led the tour was a local who recently graduated from college in New Mexico (perfect English). He spoke about the "value" of being listed as a UNESCO heritage town as he took us all around. it was a really quaint, very picturesque place up in the mountains with a view of the volcano in the background.

Back then, we were on another cruise line. Ours must have been the first ship to use the dock we were assigned to because it took 2 hours for the local dock workers to cut through a metal arm that prevented our ship from lowering the gangway. When we returned from our excursion, the tide was in and the gangway was almost vertical. The staff, holding umbrellas, were stationed every 3 feet or so along the gangway to keep people dry as they helped pull them up the slick, steep gangway.

I've always wanted to return because the 2 hours waiting for the metal arm to be dealt with took that much time away from our excursion. I'd love to go back to Antigua and stroll the cobblestone streets and duck in and out of little stores, visit the cathedral keeping watch over the plaza, drink coffee in a little cafe (it's chilly in the mountains)...

Archived