Trail mix confiscated?

A different tact: the British pubs onboard serve a trail mix with nuts, dried fruit and white chocolate chips. They serve it in a wine carafe, and we've taken a supply back to out room for snacks.

I don't know if the trail mix MUST be the OP's special mixture, but this would alleviate the cost and necessity of bringing it onboard.

OK, I get it now :-) Sometimes posters are delayed and don't realize the question's been answered and sometimes the repeat is to reiterate an opinion to help the OP. Totally makes sense to me. On the trail mix subject, after all the OP has done to make this vacation wonderful and truly the trip of a lifetime, I wouldn't take even a small chance on hampering the great time with an issue with authorities. Just wouldn't be worth it. Bon voyage!

For the same reason that people also feel a need to post questions such as yours maybe?

Seriously, several people all answer the question gives a bit more validation to the answer. If only one person said yes then I would be more likely to question if I had received an accurate answer. If 5 people say yes then it becomes more likely to be true.

Yes, ^^^ This.

If on a board where one may not recognize 'regular' posters they know and can gauge 'reliability', if a number give the same response, I give it more credibility and reliability.... even if only subconsiously. Not to say, i doubt the one but if there are five that agree, it's more convincing, for me. :)

I have wondered that also. I could understand if they were posting within a few minutes of each other.

I really think many people post without reading the replies.

It is usually best to get more than one answer to verify that the information being given is correct. It has nothing to do with not reading replies.

For those of you questioning why Terrific would want to bring this special trail mix (which I think is called "Love Mix" in his home) on to the ship, you should read this...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1613067 This will explain why this trail mix is so special.

All that being said, Terrific - I would bring just enough (maybe a little less) on board to last for the week. Share it in your cabin - maybe on the balcony with a glass of wine as you sail the islands. Don't try taking it off or "skirting" the system - DW wouldn't want you to get in trouble! :)

Lovely story.:) However, I guess not having read the entire long thread, I missed what makes his trail mix special.:o If it's just fruit, nuts and yogurt chips, that type of trail mix is readily available commercially.

Lovely story.:) However, I guess not having read the entire long thread, I missed what makes his trail mix special.:o If it's just fruit, nuts and yogurt chips, that type of trail mix is readily available commercially.

It's not what's in it that makes it special, it is that he makes it specially for his DW it's a part of the romance of the yearlong surprise leading up to the Bon Voyage Experience (where she finally figured out the details of the cruise). You should take some time to read the entire thread. Terrific Surprise has really put in a tremendous amount of time to give his wife the cruise of her dreams -- so romantic!

For those of you questioning why Terrific would want to bring this special trail mix (which I think is called "Love Mix" in his home) on to the ship, you should read this...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1613067 This will explain why this trail mix is so special.

I read the first 10 or so pages back when the thread was still on this board. Have to say it's just a bit "over the top" for me. :o

I just cannot imagine someone with so much going on putting so much planning and emphasis on every teensy detail of this trip. Nor someone such as the poster states he is being willing to circumvent the law.

Yes, ^^^ This.

If on a board where one may not recognize 'regular' posters they know and can gauge 'reliability', if a number give the same response, I give it more credibility and reliability.... even if only subconsiously. Not to say, i doubt the one but if there are five that agree, it's more convincing, for me. :)

Not only does repetition tend to lend validity; a large purpose of these boards (and a major reason why people visit them) is the fact that people simply like to express their own views on topics which are interesting to them. The fact that someone else might already have expressed a view either in favor or opposed to something does not make an individual lose the impulse to express his/her own view.

Food for thought - can you get the ingredients in sealed packages and mix em in a separate bag after you gotten off in port? I don't know whats in your mix to know if that would be possible or realistic but I figured I would mention it.

The original Love Mix had 21 ingredients, while the new version I am working on will have at least 23 ingredients (with several of the original ingredients switched out for other new ingredients). So unfortunately it wouldn't be practical (or a good use of port time) to mix it in port. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

A different tact: the British pubs onboard serve a trail mix with nuts, dried fruit and white chocolate chips. They serve it in a wine carafe, and we've taken a supply back to out room for snacks.

I don't know if the trail mix MUST be the OP's special mixture, but this would alleviate the cost and necessity of bringing it onboard.

The Love Mix has ingredients like crystallized ginger, papaya, pineapple, and macadamia nuts, so I doubt that any other trail mix would be quite the same as this spicy-sweet mixture. However, I do appreciate the tip about the trail mix offered in the pubs and will definitely look for that.

I read the first 10 or so pages back when the thread was still on this board. Have to say it's just a bit "over the top" for me. :o

I just cannot imagine someone with so much going on putting so much planning and emphasis on every teensy detail of this trip. Nor someone such as the poster states he is being willing to circumvent the law.

Without question this experience has been way "over the top," and my wife would be the first to say that (and she was already saying that on her 49th birthday, before much of this experience had occurred). For me I'm enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go overboard for my wife, but I understand that this is way beyond what anyone with a touch of sanity would consider to be reasonable. :o

As far as "circumventing the law," that certainly was never my intention. If I understand the purpose of the law to relate to protecting agricultural concerns, I'm confident that what I intended to do would not have posed the least risk.

Nevertheless I can see now that it would not be worth the trouble to try to take it into port in Hawaii. So I will probably just use that fact to my advantage and put a label on which says "so good that it is banned from the islands!" :p

Not only does repetition tend to lend validity; a large purpose of these boards (and a major reason why people visit them) is the fact that people simply like to express their own views on topics which are interesting to them. The fact that someone else might already have expressed a view either in favor or opposed to something does not make an individual lose the impulse to express his/her own view.

I agree. :)

The Love Mix has ingredients like crystallized ginger, papaya, pineapple, and macadamia nuts, so I doubt that any other trail mix would be quite the same as this spicy-sweet mixture. However, I do appreciate the tip about the trail mix offered in the pubs and will definitely look for that.

Have you thought about buying the trail mix from a Hawaiian store? A quick google search pulled up a trail mix that looks like the above ingredients.

Would it be possible to contact a Hawaiian gift company, have them make the unique Love Mix for you, and deliver it to you at the port or at a specified location? The recipe would be yours, and an additional surprise would be hers.

IF any company was willing to do such a thing, it would be VERY pricey.

Thanks for the answers, but let me see if I can push the envelope here (I'm not known for giving up easily). What if I seal the trail mix in a series of small vacuum-sealed packages, labeled as if they were bought from a store, and make sure that only sealed packages are brought off the ship?

so you are looking to commit fraud?! so you really want that fine to be three times as high when you get caught then as well as being charged with a felony.

nice to know that some people are honest about their dishonesty.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the answers, but let me see if I can push the envelope here (I'm not known for giving up easily). What if I seal the trail mix in a series of small vacuum-sealed packages, labeled as if they were bought from a store, and make sure that only sealed packages are brought off the ship?

I'm thinking this has to be a joke.. if for some reason you actually have to have trail mix on the boat do you really need to lug it around Hawaii? What is in that trail mix?

Good advice, olemissreb.

Actually, what I am working on is an updated version of the original "Love Mix," which I first made a little over a year ago. It has several new ingredients (tropical/Hawaiian items). I just would hate to throw any of it away (some of the ingredients were extremely pricey for a cheap guy like me who usually never wants to spend more than 10 cents an ounce on food).

And for those who wonder whether the Love Mix itself is the "surprise," it is only one of the surprises. (If I had to count the number of surprises within the multi-layered, continually expanding surprise which has happened over the past year or so I don't think I could do so if my life depended upon it.)

But as one of the first surprises, the Love Mix has been a special part of this entire process, and was always envisioned to be a part of our Hawaiian cruise experience. I will miss being able to have DW munch on some Love Mix on a Hawaiian beach somewhere (especially when from my perspective that the way I intended for it to be used would not have been really violating the intention of any laws).

Nevertheless, I guess I have been sufficiently (and appropriately) chastised enough to move on to focus my attention on the "next" surprise. She'll have plenty of opportunity to munch on the new improved Hawaiian Love Mix (or should I now call it Aloha Mix?) after the cruise.

First let me say that your intent is both romantic and admirable. I'm sure you will both have a fantastic and truly memorable time.

I don't mean to chastise you, but think maybe some additional perspective from someone familiar with the issue could help. You cannot say that you would not "really" be violating the intention of the laws. Your perspective is immaterial here. The intention of the law is this: To prevent the accidental or intentional importation of flora or fauna that could be harmful to the already fragile ecosystem of the islands. While it's true that your special mix would probably not have caused a problem, the fact is that there is a tiny chance that it could have introduced something that down the road caused harm.

I know it can be hard to fathom and that sometimes it seems harsh, but it is important. I'm rather famous (or perhaps infamous) for being very stubborn about the issue. It's partly because my hubby and I are long time Hawaii lovers who want to respect the beautiful islands. But it's more because I was born and raised in California. I've lived nearly all of my life in or near agricultural regions. It's a critical part of the state's economy and, frankly, an important part of the country's food supply. In the 1980s, we lived through the fruit fly infestation, which included scheduled malathion drops (what a treat to plan your life around those) and cost millions of dollars in lost crops, labor, and supplies. There are a number of pests and pathogens that are threatening our region now. It's a constant fight to keep the crops healthy. That's why it's so important to never believe that "one little thing can't hurt." Would it? Probably not. Could it? Yes.

I'm certain that your lovely wife will appreciate every surprise and special moment you have planned. I think it's an excellent idea to create a Hawaiian Love Mix to have when you get home as a way to extend such a special trip. There are so many wonderful goodies you will find to take home with you that I'll bet you come up with something truly delicious.

beachchick

Just an update for posters who don't have time to read this entire thread...

Terrificsurprise is currently on his cruise with his lovely wife without the trail mix.

Upon the advice of all the wonderful people here on CC, he decided that it was better to just cruise without it.

I know it can be hard to fathom and that sometimes it seems harsh, but it is important. I'm rather famous (or perhaps infamous) for being very stubborn about the issue. It's partly because my hubby and I are long time Hawaii lovers who want to respect the beautiful islands. But it's more because I was born and raised in California. I've lived nearly all of my life in or near agricultural regions. It's a critical part of the state's economy and, frankly, an important part of the country's food supply. In the 1980s, we lived through the fruit fly infestation, which included scheduled malathion drops (what a treat to plan your life around those) and cost millions of dollars in lost crops, labor, and supplies. There are a number of pests and pathogens that are threatening our region now. It's a constant fight to keep the crops healthy. That's why it's so important to never believe that "one little thing can't hurt." Would it? Probably not. Could it? Yes.

I'm certain that your lovely wife will appreciate every surprise and special moment you have planned. I think it's an excellent idea to create a Hawaiian Love Mix to have when you get home as a way to extend such a special trip. There are so many wonderful goodies you will find to take home with you that I'll bet you come up with something truly delicious.

beachchick

I too remember the spraying to eradicate the medfly in the 80s. It was a major deal for the farmers who stood to lose millions of $s in destroyed crops, which also affected the consumers with higher produce prices. We were told to cover any vehicles parked outside as the pesticide could affect car paint.

Just an update for posters who don't have time to read this entire thread...

Terrificsurprise is currently on his cruise with his lovely wife without the trail mix.

Upon the advice of all the wonderful people here on CC, he decided that it was better to just cruise without it.

Glad to hear that he listened to us. Sometimes when we see someone saying "But...", many of us will wonder if they went ahead and ignored our advice.

And hopefully, he checked out the exotic (at least to us on the mainland) food items and they tried them out on the ship. Not sure if they would be able to take them off the ship if factory sealed and unopened. But if there's food items they decided would work in a trail mix or by itself, there are stores that you can order via a website and have shipped to your house legally.

Archived