Just back from 3 day Monarch of the seas cruise

Hey, Monarch is an old tub that is nothing like the newer RCI fleet. I don't blame people at all for not liking her or her sister. In fact, I think the only reason I like the Majesty is because I associate it with a quick weekend getaway, so the lack of amenities does not bother me, and I always book deck 9 or 10 in order to have a decent size room. I would never want to book that class for anything else though.

We were on the Monarch for the March 1st sailing. The items listed at the start of this string are correct, however, it was still a great little cruise. The service we received was great. Our dining staff was on the ball taking great care of us. Was it the Oasis, no. Was it a bad cruise, heck no. We would do it again.

Rob

We'll be on her last sailing. MN was our first RCI cruise, so we want to see the old girl off. That being said, I partially agree with the OP. I did notice a few things that needed attention on our most recent MN cruise in January. Since I cruise somewhat frequently and monitor these boards, I knew why the maintenance was lacking. A new cruiser would not, so I can understand why some are disappointed.

She's a good old ship with an excellent crew and we've had some great times on board. That being said, I'm really excited to be getting Enchantment at PC!

It's funny how the Dump of the Seas has such rabid fans. I made the same comment as above... if my Monarch cruise had been my first cruise, I would've never gone again.

The crew was great. The ship was awful. There was nothing about the ship that I liked. Bad rooms, bad layout, tons and tons of wear & tear, bad amenities, no solarium, everything is cramped, everything is old, etc. etc. etc. etc.

People can be completely irrational about this ship. "Yeah, it's a dump, but it's OUR dump. It's our favorite ship in the fleet! We love it. Best ship ever! Don't knock it. Yeah, we know everything stinks (literally) and stuff, but she's old, so it's ok."

Our first cruise ever was on the Monarch about two years ago - and we were so impressed with everything about the ship and cruising. Our second cruise ever is on the Jewel in about 5 weeks. If the Monarch is really as bad as everyone states....I'm expecting my mind to be absolutely blown by the Jewel!

Despite the best MDR staff of any ship, and other staff as well. She does have some problems. On our last cruise AC was virtually not working, moving to an inside cabin was not a option that we wanted, mold in the bathroom, cleaned quickly, by first cruise room Stewart, my lady smelled the sewage smell reported by others.

We have been on many 3&4 day cruises on her and hate to see her go, but business is business and we are looking forward to the Enchantment.

FOR $170 PP for an outside cabin on deck 5 or above, I WOULD SAIL ON HER AGAIN but this time of year no deals are found LOL.

Actually the final 3 nighter still has over 100 cabins available (insides & ovs). We have sailed on her for as little as $99 pp last year. This month the prices have remained high and the upcoming 3 nighter (March 15) sold their last 30 cabins this past week for $400 plus pp. Much beyond our price point! Spring Break, I guess, is contributing. This has kept us from celebrating her farewell passage. The last sailing might yet go down, but I doubt it since they are getting people to buy in at these higher fares.

At the beginning of this month,the OVs went for $219 and even the SO went for $249.....(and yes,I am talking about the last sailing-March 29th)

At the beginning of this month,the OVs went for $219 and even the SO went for $249.....(and yes,I am talking about the last sailing-March 29th)

I saw that. They dropped for one day - or actually dropped and then back up the same day. I was amazed to see the low prices.

M

I saw that. They dropped for one day - or actually dropped and then back up the same day. I was amazed to see the low prices.

M

Me too.............it was like half price for a few hours..

We paid just over $400 for the 3 day, it was last minute and the only ship that fit our schedules. As I have cruised many ships and cruise lines I know we did not get good value for money.

However if we had paid $129 or $169 as other people have stated they have paid it would have been easier to accept the sub standard accomodations, bad repair and lack of upkeep. I do not think the constant sewage smell is acceptable at any price.

I hope any first time cruisers do not leave this ship thinking all cruise ships are this way and decide to never cruise again based on their experience on this ship.

We paid just over $400 for the 3 day, it was last minute and the only ship that fit our schedules. As I have cruised many ships and cruise lines I know we did not get good value for money.

However if we had paid $129 or $169 as other people have stated they have paid it would have been easier to accept the sub standard accomodations, bad repair and lack of upkeep. I do not think the constant sewage smell is acceptable at any price.

I hope any first time cruisers do not leave this ship thinking all cruise ships are this way and decide to never cruise again based on their experience on this ship.

Thank you-- that certainly clears up the perspective that you are examining this trip.

I totally agree with the faults, but was just wondering about the price comments. We are one of the cruisers who've sailed for $169pp for outside on both the Majesty and Monarch. Our trick has turned out to wait until about 6 weeks before sailing, even if we have a flight booked...

We, too, are on the last trip at the end of this month. Very much looking forward to it, since (as my sig says) she was our first cruise a month ago.

It's amazing how cruising has developed in just over 20 years- when she sailed in 1991, she and her sisters were the largest cruise ships in the world... Now she's seen as a tiny ship with small cabins. Incredible.

Monarch was our first cruise in 1994. We sailed her many times after that out of Port Canaveral before moving to SW FL and now going on Majesty. But we could not resist the final sailing on Monarch to say good-bye. Going with an open mind. Do not expect the ship to be in the shape she used to be. Going b/c we want to be on the final voyage. I know the staff will still be great, and we will have a wonderful time no matter what. Monarch will always have a special place in our hearts since she got us "hooked" on crusing.;)

Wife and I sailed this past November. Sure, the old gal is showing her age but we got our $129.00 p/p out of her. We saw the crew repairing a rusted out spot on the pool deck that was under the carpet. Yep, the ship need a dry docking bad. Would sail on her again if the opportunity presented itself.

Golden Rule in life: "You get what you pay for"

If you want a premium ship you will pay a premium price. Oasis/Allure

If you want a 20 year old ship you will pay industry low prices. Monarch/Majesty

I can honestly say the most fun I have had on a cruise was on the Monarch. :cool:

[quote name='woodley'].

I hope any first time cruisers do not leave this ship thinking all cruise ships are this way and decide to never cruise again based on their experience on this ship.[/quote]

The thing is, first time cruisers have absolutely NOTHING to compare to. They pull up and see this enormous ship and get on board and are serviced very well by one of the best crews in the whole fleet. A few cosmetic things here and there dont persuade the majority to "never again" take a cruise I wouldnt imagine.

It reminds me of my first cruise. I had no idea what to expect and little did I know i was getting on the oldest and smallest ship in ANY mass market cruise line that even the most diehard Carnival people hated. But you know what? I had a GREAT time and it hooked me on cruising!

While I guess its totally possible that Monarch has went downhill in the last couple years, as I said above, I work with a girl who just got off of her a few months ago and and her and her husband LOVED the cruise! They now want to try Freedom of the Seas for 7 nights all because of Monarch.

Its a shame that RCI isnt holding to their standards on this ship all because she is going away soon. The constant smell of sewage all over the ship is definitely not acceptable and must be something that has happened in the last few months. I know for a fact that my coworker would have mentioned that!

She will be gone soon enough though and no one will ever have to go through that again.

Sorry for rambling on :o Im not a "rabid" Monarch fan but I am a fan.

[quote name='ryano']The thing is, first time cruisers have absolutely NOTHING to compare to. [/quote]

I agree. I thought my first few cruises on small, older ships of another cruise line were awesome. It wasn't until I took my first RCI cruise, coincidently on Monarch, that I knew there was so much better out there. It wasn't until I was able to make that comparison that I knew my previous cruises didn't quite measure up.

[quote name='ryano']The thing is, first time cruisers have absolutely NOTHING to compare to. They pull up and see this enormous ship and get on board and are serviced very well by one of the best crews in the whole fleet. A few cosmetic things here and there dont persuade the majority to "never again" take a cruise I wouldnt imagine.[/quote]

[quote name='Aquahound']I agree. I thought my first few cruises on small, older ships of another cruise line were awesome. It wasn't until I took my first RCI cruise, coincidently on Monarch, that I knew there was so much better out there. It wasn't until I was able to make that comparison that I knew my previous cruises didn't quite measure up.[/quote]

My first cruise was on Adventure and my second was on Monarch. By then I knew that Monarch wasn't the best out there, but the crew more than made up for any downsides to the ship.

If Monarch had been my first ship I would have still been hooked (can't say that about Grandeur, but that's another story). :)

My perspective is that I did not want to cruise at all. I wanted to hate it. The actual ship [I]Mariner[/I] made a huge impact on me.

Yes, I know I had nothing to compare my first cruise ship to, but I had already done a lot of adventruing around the globe at that point. I have never done a lot of things, but I'm smart enough to know whether it is old, cramped, not up to par, etc. without an EXACT frame of reference.

I have never driven, rode on, or owned a snowmobile. However, I can say with confidence that I could tell whether one was junky or not on my first ride. Could I say there was [B]nothing better[/B] than or [B]nothing worse[/B] than this particular model on that first run? No. I could tell you if I liked it and if it seemed old, junky, etc. without needing to be an expert.

Bottomline, I did not want to like cruising. If my first cruise had been on a ship that was blatantly substandard, I would have never gone back.

[quote name='woodley']

I hope any first time cruisers do not leave this ship thinking all cruise ships are this way and decide to never cruise again based on their experience on this ship.[/QUOTE]

Monarch was our first cruise three years ago, and it wasn't a great experience. The food was ok, Nassau was a crappy port, and we had to bypass Coco Cay. That ship is very small to be stuck on a full "day at sea" on. When I find myself in the movie theater watching Greese, I know there isn't a lot to do... :)

However, we are leaving in 4 days for Freedom and are very excited! I love the itinerary and from what I have researched, the the ship in general!

[quote name='ryano']The thing is, first time cruisers have absolutely NOTHING to compare to. They pull up and see this enormous ship and get on board and are serviced very well by one of the best crews in the whole fleet. A few cosmetic things here and there dont persuade the majority to "never again" take a cruise I wouldnt imagine.

It reminds me of my first cruise. I had no idea what to expect and little did I know i was getting on the oldest and smallest ship in ANY mass market cruise line that even the most diehard Carnival people hated. But you know what? I had a GREAT time and it hooked me on cruising!

While I guess its totally possible that Monarch has went downhill in the last couple years, as I said above, I work with a girl who just got off of her a few months ago and and her and her husband LOVED the cruise! They now want to try Freedom of the Seas for 7 nights all because of Monarch.

Its a shame that RCI isnt holding to their standards on this ship all because she is going away soon. The constant smell of sewage all over the ship is definitely not acceptable and must be something that has happened in the last few months. I know for a fact that my coworker would have mentioned that!

She will be gone soon enough though and no one will ever have to go through that again.

Sorry for rambling on :o Im not a "rabid" Monarch fan but I am a fan.[/QUOTE]

My first RCI cruise was on the Empress of the Seas, seven years after my first ever cruise on the Carnival Jubilee. I thought the Empress was fabulous. I met some great people through Cruise Critic and had a fabulous time. I didn't know any different and couldn't understand it when I overheard people complaining about how small the ship was :rolleyes: It's still one of my favorite cruises.

Archived