Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

Cancel all tips? To demonstrate what -- that you are cheap?

If you don't like the rules, you have to choice to not sail on princess.

Didn't you already tell us you were changing to Celebrity?

What do you mean ? The rules allow for a customer to remove tips, they also allow for you not to purchase drinks. He's following the rules and the one being cheap is princess.;)

From cruise contract. Note it says you can only bring on 1 bottle, and if you drink that bottle in public, it's $15:

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas."

From CC article:

"Passengers are allowed one bottle of wine or champagne (champagne is NOT [Princess' emphasis] being confiscated as alleged) for free, and then they can bring on as many bottles of wine or champagne as they would like for a $15 per bottle corkage fee."

Which says first bottle free, all the rest are $15 each, not mentioning anything about where you drink it. Something needs to be made consistent.

Princess makes plenty of money from me. For every drink I have in the cabin, I buy three or four at the bars. I do not bring liquor on to circumvent buying it on board; I just like to have a drink in my cabin while dressing for dinner or as a nightcap.

Agree

I take 3-4 one ounce bottles...the same that they sell you...on flights all the time. If it's small enough to get past the liquid restrictions at security, no big deal.

I don't do it because I'm cheap. I do it because I fly coach and even on a long flight, you only get two drink services. That, and because I don't want my credit or debit card ran for a measly $5 each time.

Great way to make the flight go faster!

Or pass out through your stop. :eek:

Well now, that would depend on tolerance. I don't get "buzzed" on two 2 shot drinks consumed in 6 hours. If I did...I doubt I'd be a drinker ;)

And I certainly wasn't implying that I can't go from one airport to the next without a drink. I may not be drinking before the flight...or after the flight. Sitting in a cramped toothpaste tube for 6 hours, and white-knuckling it as well...I don't think drinking is a shameful thing.

You can also order 375ml bottles of liquor from room service.

They cost around $20.

Or in Ft Lauderdale you can go to Walgreen's across the street from the Renaissance and buy a couple of $4 Beringer wines that sell for like $25 a bottle on the ship and uncork them yourself in your cabin. I have in the past brought aboard two small boxed wine(s) for the cabin refrig. but I have never taken the box to the dining room and asked them what would be the unboxing fee.

What gets me is that I have actually seen folks roll aboard a 2 wheeler with cases of stacked flats of bottled water. That's a bit much.

First to the OP , thanks for taking time from your cruise to post and let us know. I was wondering when the axe would fall on the wine policy. One thing I wish they would address is that for a 3 day, 7 day , 14 day , etc. etc cruises , the one bottle of wine per adult is the maximum , come on Princess , make some adjustments there.

Also does anyone know if you are allowed to purshase a bottle of wine at different port stops ?? some excursions are at winerys, etc. and bring them to our cabins , We also like to try different wines from different places we visit . Or can we bring them on board and ask they they be kept for us until we disembark ?? Just wondering , so if you have the answers , thanks...

HI Pia, look forward to your next live thread from your next cruise, How your ankle ?

Cori

First to the OP , thanks for taking time from your cruise to post and let us know. I was wondering when the axe would fall on the wine policy. One thing I wish they would address is that for a 3 day, 7 day , 14 day , etc. etc cruises , the one bottle of wine per adult is the maximum , come on Princess , make some adjustments there.

Also does anyone know if you are allowed to purshase a bottle of wine at different port stops ?? some excursions are at winerys, etc. and bring them to our cabins , We also like to try different wines from different places we visit . Or can we bring them on board and ask they they be kept for us until we disembark ?? Just wondering , so if you have the answers , thanks...

HI Pia, look forward to your next live thread from your next cruise, How your ankle ?

Cori

Yes, you can bring wine on from Ports, you just pay $15 a bottle for corkage even if you drink it in your room

We have just completed a 16 night leg of the P&O UK's Arcadia world cruise from Auckland to San Francisco.

On that leg we, my wife and I, were each, given a token to purchase a bottle of "duty free" (wine, spirits or liqueurs) that we could consume in our cabin.

Surprise? most certainly, not something we have experienced on Princess! ( yes we do cruise regularly with Princess and are Elite! )

Just thought I'd throw that in to the discussion.

I really can't believe all the talk about bringing alcohol aboard a ship. It is a Policy and it's now being enforced. End of story. Alcohol sales are a big part of a cruise ship's bottom line and they are within their rights to do as they wish, and it is in the Passenger Contract. And the excuse, "I didn't read it"..Well, that's on you. I totally get that some people are trying to save some money but unfortunately this is something you can't get around. I like to drink on the ship too but I save all year to take a nice vacation and I'm not going to skimp so I budget it in. It seems every Cruise line has this same issue, but reading some of the posts about the length people will go to to sneak booze on board, maybe there's a bigger issue. Remember what you sign up for when you book a cruise..Thank You..

We have just completed a 16 night leg of the P&O UK's Arcadia world cruise from Auckland to San Francisco.

On that leg we, my wife and I, were each, given a token to purchase a bottle of "duty free" (wine, spirits or liqueurs) that we could consume in our cabin.

Surprise? most certainly, not something we have experienced on Princess! ( yes we do cruise regularly with Princess and are Elite! )

Just thought I'd throw that in to the discussion.

Pete...We were on Arcadia March/April 2012, Sydney to Southampton, 49 days. One could visit the ship's shop daily and buy wine, spirits, any amount for cabin consumption. A 1 litre bottle of scotch was £10. No wonder the bars were empty. Sounds like P&O UK have tightened that up, just like Princess has, to the ire of many.

That is not correct. This policy was enforced for six months only on the Dawn Princess from late 2011 to early April 2012. I believe it was for the length of one person's contract and I am not sure if that was the Hotel Director or someone in security. When we boarded the Dawn Princess on 13th April 2012 there were no restrictions and haven't been since then.

Someone has mentioned that this policy was enforced just on the last couple of weeks on one of the Australian ships, but that would be the 'new policy'.

I was on Sun Princess in 2009 and Dawn Princess in 2010, operating from Australia, both cruises we were restricted to two bottles of wine and nothing else, it was enforced. Scouts Honour.

I brought on 4 or 5 (sealed) bottles of water last cruise. I had them in my luggage - not in carry on. I wonder if I will need to take them as carry on next time to avoid a trip to the inspection room to open the luggage and show that it's just water.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

My answer to all is this, is, if Princess Cruises and every other cruise line were not so greedy with their highly inflated wine prices, than pax would purchase more on the ship and not be tempted to 'smuggle' additional bottles of wine on board.

E.G. On Celebrity Solstice the other week, a bottle of Wolf Blass Yellow Label shiraz was $45. I can buy it by the 6 pack in my local supermarket bottle shop for $12 per bottle. I can also buy it in my golf club bistro to wash down a nice T bone steak for $18 a bottle.

All about a captive audience on the ships..you want wine you pay the cruise line's exorbitant prices.

I really can't believe all the talk about bringing alcohol aboard a ship. It is a Policy and it's now being enforced. End of story. Alcohol sales are a big part of a cruise ship's bottom line and they are within their rights to do as they wish, and it is in the Passenger Contract. And the excuse, "I didn't read it"..Well, that's on you. I totally get that some people are trying to save some money but unfortunately this is something you can't get around. I like to drink on the ship too but I save all year to take a nice vacation and I'm not going to skimp so I budget it in. It seems every Cruise line has this same issue, but reading some of the posts about the length people will go to to sneak booze on board, maybe there's a bigger issue. Remember what you sign up for when you book a cruise..Thank You..

I agree. People are feeling sorry for someone that is breaking the rules??? Hey, if one gets away with cheating, so be it. In fact, many post like it's a badge of honor to take things on boards that aren't allowed. So here's someone that gets caught and they are outraged? I understand that there is episodic enforcement, but one is breaking a contract.

Not totally analogous, but it's a bit like feeling outraged that you got a speeding ticket when you've been speeding for a year and never got caught. This policy isn't really all that new, it's just being enforced more.

My answer to all is this, is, if Princess Cruises and every other cruise line were not so greedy with their highly inflated wine prices, than pax would purchase more on the ship and not be tempted to 'smuggle' additional bottles of wine on board.

E.G. On Celebrity Solstice the other week, a bottle of Wolf Blass Yellow Label shiraz was $45. I can buy it by the 6 pack in my local supermarket bottle shop for $12. I can also buy it in my golf club bistro to wash down a nice T bone steak for $18 a bottle.

All about a captive audience on the ships..you want wine you pay the cruise line's exorbitant prices.

Some truth to that, but would you bring your bottle into a bar and drink? And some restaurants may allow one to bring in ones own bottle, but that is rare. Or how about bringing your bottle to a wedding that has a cash bar?

I agree. People are feeling sorry for someone that is breaking the rules??? Hey, if one gets away with cheating, so be it. In fact, many post like it's a badge of honor to take things on boards that aren't allowed. So here's someone that gets caught and they are outraged? I understand that there is episodic enforcement, but one is breaking a contract.

Not totally analogous, but it's a bit like feeling outraged that you got a speeding ticket when you've been speeding for a year and never got caught. This policy isn't really all that new, it's just being enforced more.

I think a lot of people are questioning why the champagne was dumped, which was totally within the rules to bring onboard

No different then the TSA going through your luggage, they break locks if necessary.

Princess, and other cruise lines, will not break your locks. You will be called to come to the "naughty room" and asked to unlock the suitcase.

I am curious if Princess has set up their own x-ray system to check every piece of luggage for alcohol or do they rely on the government luggage inspectors who for years have been x-raying all checked luggage coming on board.

Personally, I would hope the government insprctors are checking the x-ray screens for dangerous materials, not being distracted in order to find a bottle of vodka for Princess.

I think a lot of people are questioning why the champagne was dumped, which was totally within the rules to bring onboard

Not totally. The rules say all luggage will be scanned and all alcohol in violation of the one bottle policy will be descarded.

When was CCL stock at a high of $19.50? Today (3/28) the high was $34.40 and closed at $34.29. (Sorry for the double information...I didn't read to the end of the thread before starting my post.)

11/14/2008 Paid $19.55/share including commission

Yes, you can bring wine on from Ports, you just pay $15 a bottle for corkage even if you drink it in your room

Does this include the fact that wine was not brought on during embarkation? I am flying in and will not be getting on the ship with any wine and did plan on purchasing some in Honolulu. It is suppose to be 1 bottle per voyage..:confused:

Not totally. The rules say all luggage will be scanned and all alcohol in violation of the one bottle policy will be descarded.

No it doesn't. It states one bottle per person, anything above one bottle is subject to $15 corkage, then it says anything outside that policy will be discarded. By their own policy, no wine or champagne should ever be discarded unless the owner refuses to pay the corkage.

Does this include the fact that wine was not brought on during embarkation? I am flying in and will not be getting on the ship with any wine and did plan on purchasing some in Honolulu. It is suppose to be 1 bottle per voyage..:confused:

Honestly have no idea how they're going to handle bringing on your first bottle later on. I guess time will tell

Archived