Modern Luxury = Loud Music???

bobnjeff

I think the level of noise may have something to do with the individual Cruise Director, Hotel Director or CC hostess. Volumes at various parts of the ship can be altered - main atrium is controlled by units on each floor; each restaurant has its one control cupboard. My experiences on S and M class have been (most recent first)

Solstice Absolutely no issue for us noise levels were perfect apart from what was incessant booming from Tuscan each morning at the Elite breakfast - we opted not to attend this as a result

Constellation No issues

Summit Generally fine apart from late night when on two evenings there was a bit of Techno Boom in Martini Bar

Eclipse Pretty terrible, we only drank in Michaels as a result which limited some drink options

Eclipse No issues (see same ship different dates, different issues)

Equinox Intermittent loud music, especially at the Sunset Bar

Edited by uktog

The noise level in the Martini bar when they had piped music was very loud in the evening. I think we noticed it especially on the 2nd formal night where we had gone for a drink after dinner and the band was playing in the main atrium, and during their break they played the piped music and it was excessively noisy. We asked a member of staff if it could be turned down a little to be told "that it was turned down as low as it was allowed to be" Luckily, the band started up again and we could hear ourselves talk.

One of the things other than the smoke free environment that sold us on X was the lack of announcements and subdued atmosphere.

Going modern I think is a polite way for X saying that we have decided to play muisc to take advantage of the opportunity to attract the Carnival crowd.

Having recently cruised on the Constellation and Reflection we were also disappointed that there was a loud DJ constantly banging on the electronic drums by the Martini Bar. It was so loud that the BT couldn't hear what I wanted so I put to use the frosted bar top by writing it in the frost. ;)

Celebrity, please no backgroud muzak type music. Play all types of music, since we all like something different. I enjoy almost all types of music, including rock and roll, country, metal, rap and techno. Unfortunately, both classical and jazz puts me to sleep.

I didn't have a problem with the loudness of the music on my November Summit cruise. Before Celebrity does anything with the loudness levels, maybe they should survey all their customers on the ships, instead of just listening to a few vocal ones.

Just off Solstice, 30 night Australian/New Zealand back to back, and the music was not loud at all......and in fact, the cruise director staff was very conscious of keeping the volume down when we were rehearsing the dance club dances, which was primarily held in the Grand Foyer. We needed to have the dance songs playing in order to dance, of course - and the staff person was always VERY conscious of keeping the volume low, as she told us that she had been told by the "powers that be" that there had been noise complaints in the past. So seemingly, throughout the ship, noise/volume awareness was in full attention mode. We never in any venue, were aware of high volumes.

Simply learn to accept change. In 20 years my kids will probably be sailing on the ECLIPSE 2 and demanding Madonna and Snoop Doggie Dog.

I have no problem with change. Loud, piped in muzak everywhere is a different issue. I cruise to be on the ocean, not to listen to someone else's noise. I want to see and hear the ocean. And be able to converse with my friends.

Celebrity, please no backgroud muzak type music. Play all types of music, since we all like something different. I enjoy almost all types of music, including rock and roll, country, metal, rap and techno. Unfortunately, both classical and jazz puts me to sleep.

I didn't have a problem with the loudness of the music on my November Summit cruise. Before Celebrity does anything with the loudness levels, maybe they should survey all their customers on the ships, instead of just listening to a few vocal ones.

I have no problem with change. Loud, piped in muzak everywhere is a different issue. I cruise to be on the ocean, not to listen to someone else's noise. I want to see and hear the ocean. And be able to converse with my friends.

We love the classical and jazz music. We can enjoy the music and carry on a conversation at the same time. Excessively loud music puts a damper on conversation.

We sometimes wonder if loud music is preferred by those who have impaired hearing due to hearing damage from listening to too much loud music in the past. That could explain why the music gets louder each time that we cruise.

We love the classical and jazz music. We can enjoy the music and carry on a conversation at the same time. Excessively loud music puts a damper on conversation.

We sometimes wonder if loud music is preferred by those who have impaired hearing due to hearing damage from listening to too much loud music in the past. That could explain why the music gets louder each time that we cruise.

See that is why Celebrity is probably in a quandry. You love classical and jazz, I on the other hand don't. I have no problem carrying on a conversation with loud music, it puts a damper on yours. So what do they do, who do they make happy?????

You can stop wondering as far as I'm concerned. I've listened to loud music all my life (I was in the music industry for over 38 years) and I don't have impaired hearing at all, just the opposite. From what I've noticed, it is usually those with hearing aids that don't like loud music.

My point is, Celebrity should survey all their customers to see if the music is too loud, not just turn down the volume because a few don't like it.

Hello

I really want to try Celebrity again but am not going to subject myself to loud piped in music. It seems as if Celebrity is saving money by not having real musicians in most of the various venues. One thing I love about Cunard is the ships have real musicians playing sophisticated music in all the bars such as the Chart Room, Commodore Club, Golden Lion Pub, and mostly in the nightclubs. (Night clubs bands also share time with DJ's.)

Why would Celebrity impose loud piped in music is beyond me.

Deck Chair

Hello

I really want to try Celebrity again but am not going to subject myself to loud piped in music. It seems as if Celebrity is saving money by not having real musicians in most of the various venues. One thing I love about Cunard is the ships have real musicians playing sophisticated music in all the bars such as the Chart Room, Commodore Club, Golden Lion Pub, and mostly in the nightclubs. (Night clubs bands also share time with DJ's.)

Why would Celebrity impose loud piped in music is beyond me.

Deck Chair

Again, here is the difference. I would fall asleep on a Cunard ship with "sophisticated music" in all the bars. I personally want to hear music from today, as well as older music and I want to hear all types (I'd even suffer through Classical and Jazz, as long as there were other types of music being played).

Celebrity is not the only cruise line to have piped in music and, yes, I'm sure it does save money. That is probably why Cunard is more expensive than Celebrity.

Don't think so. I'm one of those who has impaired hearing because I was a musician in my youth! I do like loud music, but only the type of music I enjoy (NOT Techno), and I will always use headphone when I listen to loud music.

I've been watching this thread (and others like it) with some trepidation, as we are trying Celebrity for the first time in Oct.. I'm kind of concerned as I don't want to be bombarded with Techno music throughout my entire 15 day cruise. I have no problem if there is a lounge that plays this type of music for those that enjoy it, but I don't want it everywhere.

Only cruised on Reflection..but I loved the atmosphere that the music created. In some areas it reminded me of W Hotels. Gave the ship a contemporary cool vibe.

I don't know if Reflection is different than other ships...but if the music level is typical, then I think Celebrity has done a great job of aligning their music with their "Modern Luxury" branding.

Edited by Ratpack

Only cruised on Reflection..but I loved the atmosphere that the music created. In some areas it reminded me of W Hotels. Gave the ship a contemporary cool vibe.

I don't know if Reflection is different than other ships...but if the music level is typical, then I think Celebrity has done a great job of aligning their music with their "Modern Luxury" branding.

We have spent two months on Reflection and found the music the worst part of our entire voyage. Even the captain asked to have the music turned down in the MDR on formal night.

But then again I am a bit of a traditionalist. Listening to hip hop music being played as guests boarded was a real ear-opener. :cool:

Think part of the problem would be solved is management thought things thriough a bit. I can understand loud, more current on a seven day cruise. The demographics on a 14 day cruise in early Feb are entirely different. It should not take a genius to figure this out.

I certainly hope that the constant loud bombardment I'm reading about here is not what we will experience next year on Eclipse. If it is, it will be our 3rd and LAST cruise with Celebrity.

Think part of the problem would be solved is management thought things thriough a bit. I can understand loud, more current on a seven day cruise. The demographics on a 14 day cruise in early Feb are entirely different. It should not take a genius to figure this out.

I certainly hope that the constant loud bombardment I'm reading about here is not what we will experience next year on Eclipse. If it is, it will be our 3rd and LAST cruise with Celebrity.

Same here - our August cruise this year is the tester and we too will be deserting Celebrity if we cannot make conversation with other passengers due to the loud music.

Let's hope that they can attract sufficient cool young folk to replace us "oldies" :D:D:D

And if they go to boring, low volume music, they will lose customers as well. They are on that slippery slope - who do they want to lose as customers.

Exactly. Loud music is far from my priority but I also recognize that the music in the ship needs to accommodate everyone. Constant, interrupting blaring music drives me insane. I do not propose that it has to be my way, as I do recognize differneces. However there has to be a happy and equitable medium.

I've been watching this thread (and others like it) with some trepidation' date=' as we are trying Celebrity for the first time in Oct.. I'm kind of concerned as I don't want to be bombarded with Techno music throughout my entire 15 day cruise. I have no problem if there is a lounge that plays this type of music for those that enjoy it, but I don't want it everywhere.[/quote']

Exactly. I can stay away from venues that have the loud and obtrusive music but when it is everywhere, there's no place to escape it. My suggestion to everyone who has problems with the loudness and inappropriate music (in dining and elsewhere) is to speak to those in charge.

Would also love to see someone take and post videos on Youtube of the blaring music and comments it gets. Perhaps someone would take notice.

Edited by d4m

We have spent two months on Reflection and found the music the worst part of our entire voyage. Even the captain asked to have the music turned down......

WOAH!!!! TWO MONTHS?!!! I am so jealous! How lovely....if you ever get bored and want someone to fill in, let me know!!!!:D

We avoided the martini bar last fall on the Eclipse. WE met up with some friends the first night, and you could not carry on a conversation because of the techno music blaring. I like all kinds of music, but it becomes annoying when it is so loud that you cannot hear anything else. I did not notice the loud music elsewhere on the ship.

Vicki

Spent 28 days on the Millenium earlier this year in Asia....and was concerned before the cruise about the noise, sorry music level. When the cruise started, the PA system was so loud, those in the hotel across the street heard every announcement...we heard announcements clearly in our cabin with the doors all closed. I pointed out to the ship's safety officer that the sound level was unsafe...(I happen to have a sound level meter application on my phone)..and miraculously by the next day, the PA was quieter.

As far as music, I think they understood that this was not a college break cruise and, other than the martini bar, the music was subdued. It was easy to find space indoors and out where you could not hear music or it was so low it was truly background. The martini bar was a horror....I tried once, but left before even ordering a drink (their loss...I generally drink expensive vodka). Finally, the music level in Blu seemed loud to me and I asked the maitre d' if he would consider turning it down (it was early at breakfast and few were dining at the time). He tried, but found that it was already set on the very minimum....the feed he was getting from the bridge was apparently set too loud for any adjustments to be made in Blu.

Long post...but I think you'll find that the sound level is ship dependent...and if you have a "rah rah" cruise director who likes to showboat and party, you're going to have a loud cruise. Some are sensitive to the demographics on board, but others think that everyone's gotta love really loud music on a cruise. It is too bad that it seems to be "all or nothing" on celebrity ships...instead of some areas with good, louder music and other quieter areas.

Good luck on your cruise....

Edited by ghstudio

There is a huge disconnect with what I am reading on here and what I experienced on Reflection. I do not like going to bars where I have to raise my voice to communicate. The music I experienced on the Reflection NEVER made me raise my voice to have a conversation. That includes martini bar..molecular bar...ensemble bar...mdr....etc..

Either the volume was different for other cruises...or some people on here just don't like the music and they are chalking it up to volume as opposed to the type of music.

Personally....I thought the volume and type of music was perfect. For those of you who are concerned because of the comments on here, I would take those comments with a grain of salt.

I totally agree with you. I specifically frequent W Hotels on my travels because they are upscale AND trendy. And the Solstice Class ships remind me a lot of W Hotels - especially the music in the Martini Bar. In fact, the whole vibe of the Martini Bar is one of the things that really sold me on Celebrity when I first sailed them. I am in my mid-30s and enjoy the high energy feel the music creates. I can afford luxury cruises, but usually don't choose them because it is way too sedate for my taste. And I appreciate that Celebrity creates a high-end environment that is not loud and rowdy, but not coma-inducing either.

In regards to loud music all over the ships, I have never found this to be the case. The Martini Bar music is at an elevated level, yes, and the whole Atrium area gets loud when there is live music. But there are plenty of places to relax on these ships to get quiet. Admittedly, I do spend a lot of time in my room. Maybe others don't like to. But the whiners on here about the music are just looking for things to complain about. It's getting silly and redundant. I personally get really annoyed when I am lying out at the pool and the band comes on and interrupts my reading. But instead of coming on here and making a stink and acting like an miserable person, I just pack up my book and go lounge in the Solarium.

I really hope all of the uptight complainers on here find other things to do with their time and don't ruin the nice atmosphere of these ships. I was on Crystal over the holidays and that ship had violinists and harpists and sleeping 80-year olds (literally) all over the public areas. Maybe those ships would be more suited for the complainers.

Michael