So Upset with Carnival right now!

misstopgun

Sorry, but even 5 grown women could have rented a car or used Carnival's transportation....

reimbursement of a $400 limo is unreasonable request.

I would suggest that you simply file the balance that Carnival did not refund with your Travel Insurance.

It's not an unreasonable request if CCL said they would refund these type of charges in full. And in terms of how they chose to get to the port, that's their business. They spent their money and perhaps they just wanted to treat themselves to a limo ride. I defend Carnival to the hilt, but right is right. If they said they would refund these costs, then they should. Period point blank.

Thanks for posting this. More people need to post the issues with Carnival and not be afraid of being bashed on a board. Carnival has a responsibility to it's customers, and they must live up to their promises. This was all over the news!!!!! They will take care of their customers than when the news dies down, they play games.

I truly hope this is an error. I can't possibly see a justification for returning only $50. We have booked limos when we were travelling with larger groups and found it to often be the lesser expensive option. With all the negative publicity and issues Carnival has had lately, I'm shocked they are still gambling with customer loyalty.

I'd be mad at the limo co. also they got $375.00 for doing nothing. Maybe they should give you something back. Or a free ride in the future.

Disagree. That's a risk you take as a traveler. I make it all the time, with hotels, rental cars, etc. Pretty standard part of travel these days. As the traveler, you must analyze the risk and see if it's worth taking.

Wow, this is a lot of butthurt over 400 bucks (split five ways?) Think I would just take the 50 or whatever and try again next time. Not the end of the world.

I'm sure it's principle. Would be to me. I'd be ticked, even if it didn't cause me economic strife

i would bet there is alot of fine print that explains this all. Most people only hear the bold print that carnival will refund any non-refundable charges when this most likely isn't the case. does anyone know what their actual policy on this is? what does the fine print state?

This is what Carnival says on their website (I would think this applies to the OP's April 27th sailing as well):

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-1372190

Upcoming Voyages

Carnival Cruise Lines has also announced the cancellations of 12 additional voyages of the Carnival Triumph. The 12 cancelled cruises, which encompass sailings from Feb. 21 through April 13, 2013, are in addition to two previously cancelled voyages scheduled to depart Feb. 11 and Feb. 16.

Guests on the affected sailings will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as non-refundable transportation costs, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities, and government fees and taxes. Guests will also receive a 25 percent discount on a future three- to five-day Carnival cruise or a 15 percent discount on a six- to seven-day cruise. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

Carnival sincerely apologizes for this disruption in our guests’ vacation plans.

Carnival Triumph operates four- and five-day cruises from Galveston, Texas. The current Carnival Triumph voyage departed Galveston, Texas, on Thursday, February 7 and was scheduled to return on Monday, Feb. 11.

I'd be mad at the limo co. also they got $375.00 for doing nothing. Maybe they should give you something back. Or a free ride in the future.

Oh I am not pleased with them either. I did call them and they flat out refused to discuss it. Their contract does state that the charges were non refundable though, and I knew that going in. I accepted a $25 discount to book right away and was told before booking it would render it non refunable.

I would have thought there would be an exception in this case but they are well within in their rights and I can't fault them. I won't use them in the future though.

Remember I had all of this booked and paid for before the Triumph had any problems. Who would have ever thought?

OP, stick with it. If you have proof this travel expense was in fact "non-refundable" then you WILL get your refund. It may take months as it did with me, but today I finally got a check from Carnival for my non-refundable transportation costs of my cancelled Triumph voyage back in February.

It wasn't easy though. It's say I spent somewhere around 12 - 16 hours on the phone, and another couple online sending emails.

You can write to icare at carnival dot com with your booking number and relevant topic in the subject line. I literally had to send the same email to them 7 or 8 times before finally getting a response. Several agents said our airline tickets would not be reimbursed, but like I said, I got the check today.

Whether you booked a limo or taxi or bullet train is a moot point. If you're out of pocket and it's their fault and you have proof it was non-refundable, then stick with it!

Oh I am not pleased with them either. I did call them and they flat out refused to discuss it. Their contract does state that the charges were non refundable though, and I knew that going in. I accepted a $25 discount to book right away and was told before booking it would render it non refunable.

I would have thought there would be an exception in this case but they are well within in their rights and I can't fault them. I won't use them in the future though.

Remember I had all of this booked and paid for before the Triumph had any problems. Who would have ever thought?

I think the whole situation for you and your sisters stinks. [not the real word] If you have a paper contract from the limo co then CCL owes you $375.00 your right.

It may be that Carnival is expecting each of the 5 members of the OPs party to file her own claim for the proportionate share of the limo cost. I didn't see where the OP might have considered this. I would agree that, arguably, it should not be the point. But it may be easier for each of the other 4 sisters to submit a copy of the contract and get a reimbursement. I agree also that the limo option is reasonable. When we flew into Houston for our last cruise out of Galveston, we booked a Town Car. I think we paid $160 including tip, one way. I actually wanted to get a limo, but I couldn't find any company that was willing to do it for what I thought was a reasonable price compared to the quote I had for the Town Car.

While it may be annoying, I don't think you can be anything more than annoyed at the limo company. They're in business to make money and I take it the terms of the agreement were clear and acceptable to you when you first entered into the agreement. They are only doing what they promised to do. That said, I would post something here and on the relevant port board naming the company and describing the situation so that future customers will be aware that they're not flexible on that issue.

As for the whole situation, this is one reason why cruises are not my favorite form of vacation. If the cruise ship breaks down, they won't give you a substitute, they just give you some of your money back. If I'm starting a regular vacation and the plane has mechanical issues before I get there, the airline gets another plane. I don't need to know how they do it and I don't care. They are obligated to get me from point A to point B even if it means putting me on a competitor's flight. Imagine you're at the airport for your trip to Hawaii and they say "sorry, the plane isn't working. Here is your refund. Have a nice day". Similarly, if the weather is bad and you have to miss a port, they're not obligated to provide a comparable port or provide meaningful compensation. They can pretty much get away with whatever they want at their own discretion.

Doing nothing? They were booked, and blocked that time, possibly turning down others due to that blocked time.

Sorry, but even 5 grown women could have rented a car or used Carnival's transportation....

reimbursement of a $400 limo is unreasonable request.

I would suggest that you simply file the balance that Carnival did not refund with your Travel Insurance.

Answers like that are what is wrong with cruise critic lately.

It used to be a place for cruisers to give and get advice from each other, but CC seems to have become an opportunity to "kick the dog who asks"

400/5=$80 each doesn't sound unreasonable? "5 grown women" is just insulting, not helpful.

Hopefully there's good advice after the first page, but I'm sure she got her butt handed to her a few more times if that was the first response.

I have to disagree. Keep in mind that was $375 total for 5 people. That's only $75 per person.

To the OP- definitely call once they are open tomorrow. If they are unable to help you maybe each of your sisters could submit a request individually? Maybe they are only reimbursing you for a single person rather than the group?

~Katy

Bingo. There it is. The Refund was for your cabin. Two People. $50 for each for the Transport. The other three would be eligible for the refund as well.

My April 27th cruise was cancelled. I recieved an apology letter stating I would recieve a full refund for the cruise and ANY non refudable costs related to it.

I was finally fully refunded for the cruise, but not in a timely manner. The non refundable costs are a different matter.

I was supposed to cruise with 4 sisters. I rented a limo to take us from the Houston airport to Galveston and then from the ship back to the airport. Because I booked on the spot, I was given a $25 discount taking both trips to a total of $375 instead of $400. Because of the discount though, it made the contracted service non refundable. (their way of keeping you from shopping around I suppose)

Now before anyone makes any snide remarks about the mode of transport, remember it is 5 grown women. It was cost effective to take one limo as opposed to 2 taxis from Houston to Galveston.

First off, to be refunded the non refundable cost you had to contact Guestcare and send them your invoices. Then you get a auto reply saying it will take 7-10 days for them to reply. (it took 15 days by the way)

I finally recieved a response stating they regretted they could only refund $50 of the cost. (two trips, two contracts, so $100 total refund) No explaination as to how they reached the conclusion this was a fair amount or why.

My original letter of apology after the canceled cruise said they would refund all non refudable expense related to my canceled cruise. I expect them to honer that.

I am not asking for anything more than they promised. I didn't ask for the additional expense for booking a alternate cruise. I didn't ask for the additional expense of flying to FL instead of TX to take the vacation I would lose if I didn't take it the same time it was scheduled. I didn't ask for compensation for any of the time spent trying to reschedule a alternate vacation or trying to recoup my refunds for the first one.

Last but not least, my cruise that was supposed to be 5 sisters is now a cruise with myself and a friend because the sisters got frustrated with Carnival and chose not to fly to Florida. This is a substitute vacation, not the sister celebration we had planned.

I sent them invoices of both of the trips with contract stating that they were not refundable. They tell me they will only refund $50 for each trip.

Nowhere in my apology letter did it state there would be exceptions or partial refunds upon their discretion.

So here I am a diamond Carnival cruiser feeling seriously devalued and even feel that my integrity is being challenged.

I still have a $200 FCC left but I think I will just cash it in and take my original $100 investment and say bye bye to Carnival unless they have a really good explaination for all of this.

Tried to call by the way, was on hold forever, and then of course was told guest care is closed on Sunday. They would certainly be open if I wanted to spend money today. Guest care? Really?

and you thought coming on here and complaining would get you anywhere?

what you *should* have done was contact john heald with all of this. he would have gotten you a response within a few days. or you could have contacted execs... finding their e-mail addresses is easy enough (i was able to do it following a disastrous cruise and got a phone call within hours). you also have to remember you are one of how many thousand they are having to reimburse and they are a company that has to ensure they aren't getting hoodwinked. had you worked a little harder i am sure carnival would have reimbursed.

also, you fail to mention if the contract you provided from the limo company (and if anyone complains because you wanted to travel in style let them be jealous) said on it that it was non-refundable. oftentimes those invoices do not. so maybe you just need to find some patience, and take your time. its not like carnival intentionally ruined your cruise or did anything to outright harm you or your vacation.

and you thought coming on here and complaining would get you anywhere?

what you *should* have done was contact john heald with all of this. he would have gotten you a response within a few days. or you could have contacted execs... finding their e-mail addresses is easy enough (i was able to do it following a disastrous cruise and got a phone call within hours). you also have to remember you are one of how many thousand they are having to reimburse and they are a company that has to ensure they aren't getting hoodwinked. had you worked a little harder i am sure carnival would have reimbursed.

also, you fail to mention if the contract you provided from the limo company (and if anyone complains because you wanted to travel in style let them be jealous) said on it that it was non-refundable. oftentimes those invoices do not. so maybe you just need to find some patience, and take your time. its not like carnival intentionally ruined your cruise or did anything to outright harm you or your vacation.

i hope this is a joke. I emailed JH about something regarding our last cruise in Oct- I am still waiting.:rolleyes:

Carnival makes it VERY difficult to get help with these type of situations. As a diamond cruiser with carnival they should be jumping through hoops to help OP.

Their lack of customer service is unbelievable in my opinion.

OP good luck. I gave up dealing with them but your loss is a lot higher than what my "simple" issue was. We decided to book our next cruise with Royal. Maybe one day we will book with Carnival again, but not with the issues they have been having lately.

I can understand your frustration. I can only imagine how difficult it was to try and rearrange your travel plans on such short notice.

I recently had some troubles with Carnival and the worst part was being disappointed by a company that I believed in and loved.

I hope you are able to enjoy your vacation :)

As for the whole situation, this is one reason why cruises are not my favorite form of vacation. If the cruise ship breaks down, they won't give you a substitute, they just give you some of your money back. If I'm starting a regular vacation and the plane has mechanical issues before I get there, the airline gets another plane. I don't need to know how they do it and I don't care. They are obligated to get me from point A to point B even if it means putting me on a competitor's flight. Imagine you're at the airport for your trip to Hawaii and they say "sorry, the plane isn't working. Here is your refund. Have a nice day". Similarly, if the weather is bad and you have to miss a port, they're not obligated to provide a comparable port or provide meaningful compensation. They can pretty much get away with whatever they want at their own discretion.

Please don't take this wrong. It is not meant to be confrontational, but just expanding a bit on your comment.

I think comparing airplanes to cruise ships is unrealistic. There are many more planes than cruise ships. Airlines can do some shuffling around with schedules & a replacement plane would only be tied up for hours, not days. Planes often have empty seats, too. However, all that aside.....if weather is bad, airlines do not necessarily use the same route to get you to your final destination. Nor do they necessarily compensate. I myself and many others I know have had to wait in airports literally for days to get a replacement flight with no compensation for all that time having to wait in the airport. A recent example happened to a good friend of mine when he tried to get home to see his family in Arizona this past Christmas. After about 15 hrs they got him on a plane to Philli with the promise of sending him on from there. Once in Philli, he was told it would be an additional 2 to 3 days before they could get him on another plane heading to Arizona (not because of the weather). Ultimately they flew him back to his original airport and only compensated him for the original price of his ticket minus the fare for the planes that took him to Philli & back.

I do realize you are discussing cruises in general & not bashing one line. When passengers sign a ticket contract they agree to the possibility of missing or changing ports. Fortunately for you, it sounds like you have done your homework & understand this. So when you do chose to cruise, it's with the understanding that things may not go as you planned. Good thing there's many vacation types to chose from. Although I've also had totally rained out land vacations & prepaid, nonrefundable ski vacations that had no lifts operating in the area due to weather. I guess it's just the luck of the draw no matter which way you shake it.

Why not use them again? They clearly explained the policy, you clearly understood the policy, they followed said policy. You are upset with them because they followed the agreed upon policy?

Archived