LA to Tahiti

johnatsis

We took this cruise the first time they offered it in Oct 2011, We generally like sea days, but the 9 days at the end got to be a bit much. This is the only cruise I took where I want the cruise to end.

I would not suggest this cruise if you have never been to these ports before. I would recommend a land tour if possible for the first visit. Remember about 2/3 of the 28 days will be sea days.

The ports themselves are excellent. I about jumped ship in Pago Pago!!! The cruise into Bora Bora was worth the price in itself. I needed way more time in Tahiti.

However, if you have been to these ports (or most of them) and like sea days then you may want to consider this cruise.

Like others said the age demographic is an the older side .. way older. I am in my mid 60's I was the baby on board. I bet the average age was well into the high 80's. I met one man who was over 100!!! His traveling companions were younger in their 80's. There were maybe 4 or 5 well behaved children on board.

A word of caution about Patrick's 4 by 4 tour in Papeete. This is my journal entry for that day:

Thursday, Nov 10, 2011

Papeete, Tahiti

Today’s private tour was set up by Connie (cruise critic person). There are 9 of us on Patrick’s (not Bora Bora Patrick) 4x4 Adventure Tour. Since I started to get sick yesterday and had a pretty yucky night, I wasn’t feeling that great. I didn’t want to put a hitch in Connie’s plans by cancelling but sure wasn’t looking forward to a long ride on a wooden bench in the back of an open air truck, bumping along in the wilds of Tahiti!!! So, we all gathered at the atrium coffee bar and trooped off the ship together. Made our way over to Patrick’s Adventure Truck and suddenly got attacked by this wild French woman screaming at us that we couldn’t get on that truck cause it was reserved for the Princess tours!!!! Turns out that she was the local travel agent who contracted with Princess to provide all the transportation for their tours and good ol Patrick double contracted  Oh, he was sooo sorry, he misunderstood, he didn’t know, he blah blah blah….he kept contradicting himself til we finally realized that he had screwed us over. Connie had set this tour up over a year ago, had been in constant contact with him and had gotten her last confirmation from him just 5 days ago!!!.....$$$$$ talks and Princess offered more. I was secretly relieved and not at all upset about the cancellation but some of the others were fit to be tied…it was the principal of the whole thing…very unprofessional behavior. This Patrick will most definitely get some bad reviews on CC, Trip Advisor, Facebook and anywhere else they can post.

After calming down, one of the guys in the group went out to the street and negotiated with an independent vendor for a 4 hr island tour in his air conditioned, comfortable van. He was charging us $60/person (Patrick was $80). We all piled in and had THE best tour of Tahiti with an exceptional guide, Dave. Dave is an American who came over here 20+ years ago, married a local girl and stayed. He was the perfect tour guide…knowledgeable, considerate and knew his way around. We stopped at gardens, waterfalls, black sand beaches, monuments, blow holes and temple caves. The nice thing about the stops is that he actually came with us and gave a non-stop narrative about whatever we were seeing. Lots and lots of pictures as we drove completely around the island.

Andi

Andi - I found your post most interesting as we had a similar problem trying to book with Patrick Adventures in Papeete. That was in 2009. We had difficulty getting responses from him to begin with and in the end he said he had trouble with his truck and couldn't make the tour. Fortunately the same 4x4 tour was offered by Princess, and we booked with Princess and had a nice day. Have never taken this tour with Papeete Patrick, so I don't personally recommend him but have read others remarks that sing his praises. Thanks for your comments. It's so important to know for sure you have a dependable vendor waiting for you on the dock! Glad you were able to find a replacement. We have decided after our 4x4 in Moorea on this spring's Star cruise that 4x4 excursions are off our list - just too bumpy and stressful at our age even though we did enjoy the day!

I took this cruise on the Sapphire in 2011. It was a great cruise. We did Tisa's in Samoa and Patricks catamaran tour on Bora Bora. I would do this cruise again as it is just beautiful down there. I love sea days but the last few days coming back I was getting restless.

We met lots of nice interesting people.

WCC

Sandpiper13--Hi Friends this is one of the sisters(youngest one) as I was reading this post I'm like you I thought this was a wonderful cruise with so many great new friends and did not feel the average age was 85 if it were they sure looked young for there ages. The crew was so wonderful!!! Thanks for the many laughs you gave us!!!!

Hello Sister - I was so happy to see your post as I never thought to ask you what your CC name was while on board the Star. We too enjoyed your company and hope that our paths meet again in some sunny foreign port. Say hi to the 'other' sister for us and hope your 'sweetie' didn't spend too much money on auto parts while you two were sneaking around the cruise ship at 2:00 a.m.! LOL ;)

When we did this itinerary in 2011, we were out of range for the TV satellite for many days!!! Some people had a really hard time with that. The only way to get current news was to get online and check out the headlines.

Fortunately, while very slow (as usual), internet access was available. Sometimes it was difficult to get online because there were so many people trying to access it.

Desipite both of the above issues, this was the best itinerary ever, IMHO! I would LOVE to do it again!

We were also on the recent Star Princess sailing. While we enjoyed the ports visited and have fond memories from each place - first time for the Samoas and French Polynesia - we thought that the overall cruise including the itinerary was just okay. Others loved this itinerary and many had done this itinerary before. That's wonderful but it just wasn't "the best" for us. Like I always say....there's a reason why there is vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

We knew that there would be a lot of sea days and we are quite familiar with Princess entertainment and activities (this was our 44th cruise with Princess). It seemed that the Cruise Director took the activities from a 2-week cruise and spread them over 28 days. Thank goodness for the afternoon and late night movies. If you took out the trivia and bingo sessions as well as the "spa health and fitness" infomercials, there were quite a few empty days.

One thing that we did notice was how early people ate dinner. When we strolled into the anytime dining room at 7:30-8:00, we were frequently in the last group of folks going to dinner. Maybe it was indicative of the average passenger age - appeared to be mid to late 70s.

We were also on the recent Star Princess sailing. While we enjoyed the ports visited and have fond memories from each place - first time for the Samoas and French Polynesia - we thought that the overall cruise including the itinerary was just okay. Others loved this itinerary and many had done this itinerary before. That's wonderful but it just wasn't "the best" for us. Like I always say....there's a reason why there is vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

We knew that there would be a lot of sea days and we are quite familiar with Princess entertainment and activities (this was our 44th cruise with Princess). It seemed that the Cruise Director took the activities from a 2-week cruise and spread them over 28 days. Thank goodness for the afternoon and late night movies. If you took out the trivia and bingo sessions as well as the "spa health and fitness" infomercials, there were quite a few empty days.

One thing that we did notice was how early people ate dinner. When we strolled into the anytime dining room at 7:30-8:00, we were frequently in the last group of folks going to dinner. Maybe it was indicative of the average passenger age - appeared to be mid to late 70s.

I really have to agree with you 100%. What should have been the cruise of a lifetime-wasn't. The CD had very little planned to keep us entertained. The chef repeated menus after 2 weeks. In general, I'm happy to have had the experience but wouldn't do it again.

Hi. We're another couple that was on this March 26 cruise. This was our second cruise to these same ports in the S. Pacific.

Like Desert Cruisers, we too enjoyed the ports but perhaps because it was our second time around, we certainly didn't consider it a 'cruise of a lifetime'.

We had this same CD on our previous Trans Pacific cruise and I mentioned on our roll call not to expect much from him. He was leaving at the end of this cruise until June 1st and I really think he was burned out.

The evening entertainment was not up to Princess's usual standards.

We spent most of our sea days outside enjoying the beautiful weather for almost the entire cruise.

I thought we were crossing the international dateline, not the equator?

I do understand that the ceremony can be a lot of fun...

You'll cross the dateline if you go to Western Samoa from Los Angeles.

You'll cross the equator if you go to Western Samoa, American Samoa or Tahiti.

There's no ceremony for crossing the dateline, just lots of unnecessary confusion. On our cruise, which did cross the dateline, they ignored the change since they were crossing back the very next day. Simple.

Don't think it was that old. More like low 70's. To average 85 means half the people had to be 85 or over.

I'm going to sound like Caribill here (whom I admire and respect BTW).

An average of 85 does not signify half the people had to be 85 or over. That would be a quantity known as the median. Averages can be skewed from the median by extreme value excursions in a particular direction.

Hi. We're another couple that was on this March 26 cruise. This was our second cruise to these same ports in the S. Pacific.

Like Desert Cruisers, we too enjoyed the ports but perhaps because it was our second time around, we certainly didn't consider it a 'cruise of a lifetime'.

We had this same CD on our previous Trans Pacific cruise and I mentioned on our roll call not to expect much from him. He was leaving at the end of this cruise until June 1st and I really think he was burned out.

We spent most of our sea days outside enjoying the beautiful weather for almost the entire cruise.

We also had him this past November on the Southampton to FLL and my guess is that he is ALWAYS burnt out! How he managed to con his way into becoming a CD is one of life's great mysteries:D

We are booked for the April 1, 2014 cruise on the Golden. We are already booked on Patrick's Tour and Tisa's Tour in Apia...

You should consider booking soon since the private tours get filled up quickly... I was lucky for Patrick's Tour. We were on the waitlist (a year away), but someone cancelled, and lo and behold, we are in.

Now, I am just not sure what to do in Papeete!

Have you taken Patricks Tour of Papeete/Tahiti

Very informative--have taken it a couple of times in the past.

Nancy:D:D

Does anyone know if this itinerary will be offered past April of 2014.

I would like to do this October 2014 but the itineraries at that time are not up yet.

Is this itinerary so popular that they would bring it back in 2014?

All of the itineraries should be published by May 14, just a few days away... Yes, it is a popular itinerary, but I see you sail almost exclusively Carnival. This cruise will have quite an older clientele as not many younger people can take 28 days off in a row...

I am looking forward to it... What could be better than sun, sea and the islands?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Friends - As I remember Richard Joseph was our CD on the 2009 Trans Pacific cruise - not Billy London? Maybe you meant to say Trans Atlantic? Hope all is well with you and that you made your Chicago connection with no problem getting home.

Does anyone know if this itinerary will be offered past April of 2014.

I would like to do this October 2014 but the itineraries at that time are not up yet.

Is this itinerary so popular that they would bring it back in 2014?

This South Pacific cruise is now listed on the Princess website for October 2014 on the Crown Princess.

We miss our old and new friends from the Star Princess 2013 spring SP cruise. Hi to all who are reading this thread!

Okay, this itinerary looks great .... but .... there are basically only 3 days in port in the Tahiti area. HAL does bascially the same cruise and spend nearly a week in the same area. Why should I pick Princess instead of HAL? What's missing here?

You'll cross the dateline if you go to Western Samoa from Los Angeles.

You'll cross the equator if you go to Western Samoa, American Samoa or Tahiti.

There's no ceremony for crossing the dateline, just lots of unnecessary confusion. On our cruise, which did cross the dateline, they ignored the change since they were crossing back the very next day. Simple.

Thanks for the education! I, obviously, did not know that... I do hope they keep the ceremonies... Especially since we are crossing the dateline and the equator... :)

Okay, this itinerary looks great .... but .... there are basically only 3 days in port in the Tahiti area. HAL does bascially the same cruise and spend nearly a week in the same area. Why should I pick Princess instead of HAL? What's missing here?

They are similiar itineraries with different stops. HAL doesn't go to Apia or Pago Pago. Choose which itinerary appeals to you. The demographics for either cruise will be similiar.

Hi Friends - As I remember Richard Joseph was our CD on the 2009 Trans Pacific cruise - not Billy London? Maybe you meant to say Trans Atlantic? Hope all is well with you and that you made your Chicago connection with no problem getting home.

This South Pacific cruise is now listed on the Princess website for October 2014 on the Crown Princess.

We miss our old and new friends from the Star Princess 2013 spring SP cruise. Hi to all who are reading this thread!

Hi Bobbie,

This is Jim and Melanie. Billy London doesn't ring a bell, but Richard Joseph does. We just returned from our 32 day cruise from Bangkok to Whittier with 8 straight sea days to Alaska - 7 of them with temps below 40 degrees and 30-40 knot winds plus it was snowing when we disembarked the Diamond - don't recommend this cruise for the sea days, lol, but the itinerary was great before the 8 straight sea days. We had a great time on the 2009 transpacific and it is still my favorite cruise - I hope to do this type of South Pacific R/T cruise in the future though I'm leaning towards the HAL itinerary.

Wish this type of cruise was in January!

Hi there, Jim and Melanie - Sounds like you've had a great cruise - well, with the exception of those rough and rainy sea days! I saw the web cam for that trip a couple of times! Noticed the weather seem to get pretty good once the ship reached Alaska!

We loved our recent return to the SP AND all those sea days returning. It was an "escape completely" cruise. We love the islands and the people of Samoa and the Tahitian islands. We saw some different parts of Samoa this time. As you may recall, because of the recent tsunami on the 2009 cruise we couldn't get to the Llamanu (sp?) beach area in Apia. Made it this time on a private tour arranged by one of our Roll Call members - so beautiful. Hope to make it back there again. And Patrick's 3/4 Day Lagoon tour in Bora Bora was great. He went all out for our huge group!

We've also been tempted by the HA itinerary, but since we're diehard Princess fans I doubt that's in our future. Princess is our "home away from home!" Would love another trans Pacific all the way to Sydney (and back!) That was a really special trip, and we keep hoping Princess will offer it again, but so far, no luck. Hope we will meet again.

I will add our 2 cents about this cruise. We enjoyed every minute of it. Since we had done the '09 Sydney to LA cruise, (Richard Joseph was the CD) it was a repeat for us. But a wonderful repeat. We would do it again in a heartbeat. And would highly recommend it to anyone.

We did not try to do Patricks tour this time, as we did it the last time. And neither Jim or I needed to be in the sun again. But like everyone else has said it was a wonderful tour, and had we not been so sun sensitive we would have done it again. Altho with the injury on my leg, was under doctors orders to not swim with the sharks again! :(

Archived