Brillance stole my credit card number

I just came off June 8 sailing of Brillance. 2 days after arriving home there is a charge on my card I used on the ship and it's not mine. They charged Walmart.com during the night. I only use this RCL visa on ships while crusing.

I feel this could not be a coincendence. Beware of credit card fraud while cruising!

I just came off June 8 sailing of Brillance. 2 days after arriving home there is a charge on my card I used on the ship and it's not mine. They charged Walmart.com during the night. I only use this RCL visa on ships while crusing.

I feel this could not be a coincendence. Beware of credit card fraud while cruising!

Seems to be a common occurrence these days. Happens to one of our cards about every 6 months.

It could happen anywhere, anytime...trust me

just make sure when you get home from any trip check your charges

and when you use Wi-Fi anywhere other than home, run your virus software and change all passwords when you get back home.

Also do not sign your card...write in there "see id"

most important, if charges appear, dispute them and contact bank, they will immediately send you another card and close that one.

Brilliance did not steal your card, someone stole your card.

Look, there's no way the "Brilliance" stole the OP's credit card. The Brilliance is a ship. Now it's entirely possibly that somebody on the brilliance, assuming that is the ONLY place the credit card was ever used, did steal the card. I think that's unlikely as you wouldn't need to do that to often to figure out where the problem was. OTOH, law enforcement has always been able to rely on a limitless supply of stupid criminals.

Bottom line is credit card theft happens, and it happened to this person.

I feel this could not be a coincendence. Beware of credit card fraud while cruising![/

I have the BOA Royal Caribbean Visa Card. I have alerts set for text & email every time it is used. FYI Beware of credit card fraud anywhere not just cruising.

Look, there's no way the "Brilliance" stole the OP's credit card. The Brilliance is a ship. Now it's entirely possibly that somebody on the brilliance, assuming that is the ONLY place the credit card was ever used, did steal the card. I think that's unlikely as you wouldn't need to do that to often to figure out where the problem was. OTOH, law enforcement has always been able to rely on a limitless supply of stupid criminals.

Bottom line is credit card theft happens, and it happened to this person.

Yes, credit card theft does happen and is becoming more common. Investigating such activity is part of my son's job, he says the numbers are usually skimmed months before they are actually used. Fortunately, the cc companies are really good about removing the charges if you dispute it.

My card was skimmed several months ago, the funny thing was a charge had been made for over $900. to Carnival Cruise Lines.:D

Sherri:)

Since you've said that you only used your BofA card when checking in on the ship, then all transactions made on the ship will be identified as RCI transactions.

Any non RCI charge(s) can be disputed through BofA and will not affect your using that card on a future RCI cruise.

There's no way to know for sure how the credit card information was stolen. It might not have been anyone connected with RCCL, let alone the Brilliance staff. It could have been someone who hacked into RCCL's system or B of A's system.

I don't undersw this post at all. If you use this Visa card only to pay for your onboard account then you would have had it swiped as part of the process when checking in at the pier. Thereafter, all transactions onboard would have been carried out using your stateroom card. The only person able to "duplicate" your card details would be the person who did your check-in, or another RCL employee. Surely, if you report this to RCL and your credit card company, they will be able to investigate who it was who checked you in, who else had access to your details, etc .. and find the culprit.

If, on the other hand, there are some other instances of the card being used during the cruise, say, for example, in a shop whilst ashore in a port of call, it is as likely the details were copied at that time. In this instance, the quite slanderous accusation made by the OP would require a formal apology. Even then, RCL would be well within their rights to instigate a libel suit and seek damages against the OP.

You have to remember, these boards are PUBLIC and as such are deemed exactly the same as traditional print or other media. I'd make sure I was 100% certain of my facts before being as reckless as the OP in making such an unsubstantiated accusation.

I had a charge to walmart.com three weeks ago and had not been on a ship since February and didn't even take the card that was used. It can happen anywhere.

That being said, I also had charges at Publix in Fort Lauderdale and a few other charges in Fort Lauderdale the day that I got off of Oasis a few years ago and it WAS the card that I had used for my on board account and no where else on the trip. We went directly from the ship to the airport. They were made during the time I was sitting at FLL. I do not blame Royal Caribbean for this, but it is apparent that SOMEONE associated with the ship used my card number to make purchases the day the ship was in port only.

I do not blame Royal Caribbean for this, but it is apparent that SOMEONE associated with the ship used my card number to make purchases the day the ship was in port only.

Like I said, it doesn't have to have had anything to do with a RCL employee. How about all of the reports we see in the news about someone hacking into bank records and getting credit card information? I even recall seeing a story on tv about a woman who intentionally did not own credit cards or an atm card and still got her identity stolen and people bought cars on her credit line.

Fraud happens all the time and sometimes it is stopped by the credit card company before we even know about it. I received a letter from BofA a few weeks ago telling me that there was a good possibility that my credit card number had been compromised and that a new card was being sent to me.

The next day I received the new card. I didn't have any charges on the old number that weren't mine, but I don't know if BofA did have charges that weren't mine or not. Today there are so many ways to get credit card info even if the card is in your wallet and not used.

Blaming the cruise line without proof though is foolish and until it can be proven that someone working on the ship used your card, you are leaving yourself wide open making claims that are libelous.

I get that i seems like the card, if only used on the ship, may look like it was cloned on the ship BUT lets no forget, a lot of CC fraud is from random number generators so therefore i would be careful before accusing RCCL publicly.

Do you keep your credit card in your wallet? Did you have your credit card with you when you visited the ports of call on your cruise? There are devices that can skim your credit card without ever taking it out of your wallet. It is becoming a common occurance.

I hate it when a ship steals credit card numbers, maybe Brilliance wanted to get a new paint job or something... lol..

Seriously though credit card theft is awful, but it was most likely either a person at the check in portion of your cruise, someone hacking your computer account when you put your cc in for your sea pass before leaving, or a cloning device in one of the ports.

I would report it to Royal just in case they have a less then honest member working at the check in.

The folks actually working on the ship don't see your credit card.

It has happen to us twice....right after cruising with Royal Caribbean. We use Royal Caribbean credit card. My husband checks our statement everyday, because we charge everything on that one card. The one time it was all stuff purchase online....from flowers to hats and was over $3000.00. The second time it too was online purchases, but the company called us and ask if we made these purchases....we said no....and they said they didn't think so because they were for 4 computers and it was a very usual purchase. So kudos for the company catching the fraud charges.

Archived