VIP Program

C 2 C

But do you know what really made my spit fizz? Having to pay $2.40 (I think) + 15% for sodas in the suite and $4 for a bottle of water. They cost Celebrity peanuts and come for free in every other suite I've sailed in on other lines. It was a tiny, tiny proportion of the big wedge we'd paid for our cabin but it was penny pinching and profiteering. So we carted a couple of dozen bottles of soda on board and filled the wine fridge with them. You can keep happy hour and Captain's Club parties, just give me free soda.

HAL also charges their top Suite (Neptune Suite) passengers for soda's and alcohol from the mini-bar. The lines that don't are upmarket or luxury.

I have never cruised in a full Suite on Celebrity, but I have several times on Princess. IMO the extra benefits with a suite are really lacking on Celebrity and they need to formally improve them to remain competitive. For instances on Princess you get free laundry, a free mini bar set up, and a wonderful place for a quiet breakfast each morning. You used to get free Internet, but they removed that feature.

The bottom line is that the cabin itself is not the only extra benefit on most cruise lines.

Agree with most of what you say but have to disagree about butlers, they provide a different service to a concierge or stateroom attandant - certainly more that "dropping off canapes". It is the one thing they do well on NCL.

Sue

I agree, keep the butlers. If I was sailing in a suite, I would expect a butler.

I have never cruised in a full Suite on Celebrity, but I have several times on Princess. IMO the extra benefits with a suite are really lacking on Celebrity and they need to formally improve them to remain competitive. For instances on Princess you get free laundry, a free mini bar set up, and a wonderful place for a quiet breakfast each morning. You used to get free Internet, but they removed that feature.

The bottom line is that the cabin itself is not the only extra benefit on most cruise lines.

What is a benefit, if not a relative comparison from another cruise line? Sabatinis for breakfast is a wonderful perk! Absolutely wonderful, without question. BUT! I will always choose a Celebrity Suite (yes, even a SS) for the benefits of a butler, and the wonderful delivered specialty coffee drinks/fresh squeezed juices in the AM. It is almost intangible, and I ask that you, gentle reader focus on the content of this writing, as opposed to bringing up the absolute arguments of who sails in suites, who deserves suites, and how well they should be treated.

this is the intangible suite benefit on Celebrity, that I have yet to even get a glimpse of on Princess. It is the "idea" that my butler, my butler, will handle my request/problem/issue for me, and that I do not have to waste a precious moment of my vacation time searching for the right person to talk to, leaving messages, and hoping for a response. Does this happen with every suite holder on every ship on every sailing? Well, no, as Linda mentioned with her Infinity trip. But I can attest that on Princess, everytime I have asked/requested/inquired about something, I have been told to call so and so-ask at guest relations-in other words, 'go find your own solution to your problem, as it is yours, and not mine. To me, this is VIP treatment. Elite benefits are for folks who have sailed a bunch, and have earned special specific perks. I look up to them, as Elites know the ropes. Hopefully, I will one-day be Elite as well.

p.s. Hi Jane! your message was wonderful.

do you people ever get tired of hearing each other say the same bitching obnoxious jealous pious things?? Ever hear of of being thankful ??...yes you are Elite

No, I don't since I only HEAR it while on a ship. What I do not like is READING the same comments on these boards. Given where I started life, I'm thankful every day for all the opportunities and breaks I've received along the way.

do you people ever get tired of hearing each other say the same bitching obnoxious jealous pious things?? Ever hear of of being thankful ??...yes you are Elite

We are not Elite, but It is so cool that our RCCL Royal Points can now be cashed in for OBC on Celebrity! And we now get 2X points for any RCCL product we pay for with our Visa!

Sorry I need to rephrase this some what. I don't take the butler and the other items in the broshure discription as as a "perk" you are in effect paying for that. However I do not see as to why this cabins should get even more because if you add this to the much bigger space ratio these cabins are then effectively NOT paying more than all those regular cabins are.

Here is an example for arguments sake:

Sailing Celebrity Reflection 17 th Jan 2015

€ pricing for Reflections suite = € 17874,00 or 8937,00 per person

€ pricing for a cat 2D (obstructed balcony) = 1758,00 or 879,00 per cabin

The size of the reflection suite without the balcony is approx. 147m² while the 2D is approx. 18m². The suite is a little over 8 times the size of the 2D.

When you work that out and take all those extra perks a Reflections suite has into account. the suite is not paying much more than that lowly 2D.

That is the reason I really do not see any reason why these cabins should get even more perks than the little guys because they are getting what they are paying for - namely 8 times the space and things like the butler etc.

I hope that makes sense.

I disagree. If any cruise line [or hotel for that matter] includes what you call "perks" in the price of a suite, then that it what you are paying for. You purchase the whole package. Commercial organisations do not give things away. It is all calculated. Any cruiser has to decide which total package they want and if the price asked is acceptable. Clearly there will be items [you call perks] included in that price that you do not want and things that are not include but you woud like to have but, in most circumstances, these are not negiotiable.

You cannot look at the prices of a standard stateroom and a suite on any single cruise, do a price comparison and say that someone is paying more or less per square-foot. The price ratios are not fixed - not even for the same cruise. Like all prices they rise and fall and ratios change depending on supply and demand. The cost per square foot for the cruise line to supply the stateroom or suite is not fixed. In proportion, it is more expensive to provide a square foot of an inside stateroom than a suite - there is proportionally more plumbing per square foot of inside stateroom than a suite, for example.

So, no, your reasoning does not make sense. It all comes down to the cruise line making commercial decisions on how to fill there ships and customers deciding how much they wish to pay for what is offered.

When it comes to those customer decisions, it is not possible to comment on what influences those decisions. The decision by, say, a Florida resident in perfect health with no caring/employments responsibilities to take many cruises in an inside stateroom is very different to that made by someome living a long way from an airport [let alone a cruise port] with health issues [resulting in high travel insurance costs] and responsibilities at home [requiring a great deal of forward planning] to whom it makes more sense to cruise just once a year in a high end suite. It is not for us to make judgement about these choices because we do not have all the facts.

Sue

When we hit Elite we were not aware that there was an Elite level with perks.

We sailed X because we enjoyed her very much not to get some perks.

On our 1st RCI cruise we attended the Diamond lounge and cruisers were in shock that we could attend on our 1st RCI cruise. Some very snotty types we stopped attending they were so obnoxious.

I do not understand the intent of this thread, who cares if those who pay top dollar for cruises get more perks then Elite members.

We like to cruise AC for the little perks but it appears those far more astute then us at assessing value feel we have made a poor choice.

Another shocking thing is we have only on our next booking cared where our cabin is. We specified AC on the 11th aft on Millennium. We have always just taken our agents recommendation.

It has been my experience in life that the more you pay the more you get unless you are shopping with coupons.

To busy living my life to clip coupons or worrying what others are getting.

Oh dear

Celebrity please hurry to make an announcement. People are working themselves into a frenzy :eek:

Please everyone try to play nicely, and stop attacking each other. The new scheme will be what it will be, and we will get what we are given and no doubt most of us will appreciate it!:D

Angie

I wonder if their is an air travelers version of Cruise Critic?

I wonder if they have the same types of discussions of Loyalty Programs?

I wonder if there is a credit card users version of Cruise Critic?

I wonder if they have the same types of discussions of Loyalty Programs?

I wonder if there is a hotel guest version of Cruise Critic?

I wonder if they have the same type of discussions of Loyalty programs?

So much to wonder about. So little time!

There is a very popular website for air travelers flyertalk dot com

Chris

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but:

What impact would this have on the reciprocal benefits with Royal Caribbean?

If some sort of "Elite" (strictly to use the current name of the program level) program isn't retained, I fail to see how they could keep up the reciprocal relationship with Royal's Diamond (and above) levels... Just thinking out loud.

To go with the poster above - On Celebrity the level of the cruiser group currently known as RCL Diamonds, will now automatically become members of the club grade being one level below a low life or bilge rat. Whatever that is?

To go with the poster above - On Celebrity the level of the cruiser group currently known as RCL Diamonds, will now automatically become members of the club grade being one level below a low life or bilge rat. Whatever that is?

Why would you say that about my wife and I? As mentioned on another thread, maybe the class of Celebrity pax is slipping. Please dont join our Roll Call.:(

I guess I am one of the posters who you find interesting. Here is my calculation: I book on Celebrity primarily because I love the cruise line and it would be my first (but not necessarily only) choice with or without extra perks. The prices I pay are comparable to the Princess and RCI's etc. I book a cruise because I enjoy the vacation, not because of saving money with the perks. My family and I go to most of the Elite and Captains Club events as well as the evening social hours. DH and DS have 2-4 drinks total at these events, and I have 1-2. We use all three of our laundry coupons. We use most if not all of our internet time. If we were to pay out of pocket for these things we would be spending $500+ per cruise. Allowing that we may not spend quite so much on them if they were not free, I cut some $$ off my estimate to get to $300-$400. I certainly understand that the benefits do not cost Celebrity that much, but they most definitely save me that much. How does Celebrity benefit from this? Continued loyalty, and continued good word of mouth. I have brought many family members to the Celebrity brand as well as recommended the brand to many of my friends. I do not believe this makes me 'special'. I do not believe Celebrity is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. I do believe it is a win-win situation for both parties.

I know I risk being accused of being one of the onerous 'Elitists' by defending my calculations and my comments, but so be it. I have met dozens (if not more) Elite passengers in my socializing through the Captains Club events. I can honestly say that by far, the VAST majority of them are intelligent, friendly, normal, decent, considerate people who do not feel 'entitled' nor would they ever rub their status in anyone's face. It is frustrating that because there are always a few (and for sure there are a few on both sides of the fence), the majority get painted with a bad rep. So sad.

I had to repost your post as it is just about exactly my feelings about being Elite.

We now have quite a few credits racked up, but on our very first X cruise we were Elite due to our Diamond status on RCI. Since we mostly cruise for ports, we do outside staterooms on X and have been able to take advantage of the upgrade feature of the Elite program. That saves us money.

We like an adult beverage before dinner. The Elite lounge provides us that for free and that saves us money.

On cruises with a lot of tendering, we love the VIP tender coupons. We almost always do private excursions and those tender coupons are wonderful. They give us up to an hour of extra touring time. That saves us money.

The internet, laundry and cleaning coupons save us money.

I have never felt that I'm any better or different than any other guest just because of my loyalty status. I don't feel any different or better than anyone else on an airplane because my credit card puts me in a preferred line, either.

I do feel that as long as I continue to be loyal to a particular cruise line who chooses to reward my loyalty with perks, I'm going back to them. I just can't see how anyone, unless they are very wealthy, can deny that the money saved is meaningless. :)

It might have been you Charles, that explained that "X" has learned that us repeaters no longer take shore ex's etc. Therefore looking for fresh blood.They can grandfather us as we are getting older and there will be less of us each year. Free drinks cost them very very little!

When you have a good experience with a company, you encourage others to sail with them. You bring your adult children their spouses. You create a whole new generation of customers and their friends. A few perks and good customer service is a very important part of developing new business .

I have looked back only a few posts and see the thread has drifted off topic. I didn't see any other reports with actual details so I will share what I have found out.

I am on the Infinity now and can tell you a little about the new VIP program test that is underway. It is NOT related to potential changes on the Captain's Club. The eligibility for it (last week and this week - but it may be modified slightly) is upper suites (Celebrity, Royal and Penthouse) and the top cruisers (one or two couples). Since we don't qualify, I can't get much detail, but it seems to be just about what was in the press release. According to the Captain's CLub Hostess, it will be a way to recognize the top suite guests without adding to the numbers in the Elite lounge. She also used a couple of terms in our discussion that indicate at least two new levels. She said there would be Elite Plus (ot possibly Tope Elite and Captain's CLub Zenith. She also said she was getting an assistant on board in October and thought that might be when the roll out would be, but she was guessing about that.

I was on Summit earlier in the month and T-Anne said they actually

filmed something with her about "the new program". I asked her what

details she could provide and was told none. I didn't want to press

but there does seem to be something new coming out but I could not

get any more information.

I have looked back only a few posts and see the thread has drifted off topic. I didn't see any other reports with actual details so I will share what I have found out.

I am on the Infinity now and can tell you a little about the new VIP program test that is underway. It is NOT related to potential changes on the Captain's Club. The eligibility for it (last week and this week - but it may be modified slightly) is upper suites (Celebrity, Royal and Penthouse) and the top cruisers (one or two couples). Since we don't qualify, I can't get much detail, but it seems to be just about what was in the press release. According to the Captain's CLub Hostess, it will be a way to recognize the top suite guests without adding to the numbers in the Elite lounge. She also used a couple of terms in our discussion that indicate at least two new levels. She said there would be Elite Plus (ot possibly Tope Elite and Captain's CLub Zenith. She also said she was getting an assistant on board in October and thought that might be when the roll out would be, but she was guessing about that.

Interesting - But Zenith? A strange name choice!

Was that not an old Celebrity marque that became unprofitable , unsustainable, on the basis of costs, being therefore subsequently disposed of?:);)

Interesting - But Zenith? A strange name choice!

Was that not an old Celebrity marque that became unprofitable , unsustainable, on the basis of costs, being therefore subsequently disposed of?:);)

Zenith was one of Celebrity's older ships, that was retired quite a few years ago.

Calling the highest level Zenith, is very possible as it not only reminds longer history cruisers of a fond friend from the past but also the word Zenith is sometimes used to refer to the highest point reached by a celestial body during its orbit around a given point. I will leave you all to think what that celestial body might be in Celebrity's case, but it does align as an appropriate word

Archived