I've now been on Carnival and RCI....

arkjeweler

My first six cruises were Royal, because I cruised with family and they liked them. Then I took a Carnival, and by the end of the year, will have 10 cruises with Carnival. The only true difference I've found was with the price, I can cruise twice for what I pay on Royal, most of the time. Oasis cost an obscene amount, but I did it because I wanted to try the big O. I like Carnival Legend better then the big O and can cruise two weeks for the price of one. Works for me.

As you can see on my signature we have extensive experience on both lines. RCCL's free diamond plus 3 1/2 hour open bar every nigt on most ships is a real plus. We feel Carnival's food is currently better. RCCL's ships are more nicely decorated. We find few real differences between the lines, although the loyal Royal cruisers feel that RCCL is really superior as we have been told many times.

I've been on both lines, and think they are very comparable, with the most notable differences being the advantage Carnival has in cabin size (especially when compared to the older RCCL ships) and the advantage RCCL has in food. When choosing between RCCL and Carnival, for me the key distinguishing feature is itinerary, since if a ship on either of those two lines is going from where I want to leave and to where I want to travel, I can be assured of an excellent product at a good price.

But I'd like to raise another point, and that is how thoughtful, restrained and civil the responses to this thread have been. Since I will be sailing the Norwegian Gem (my first foray on to NCL) on my next cruise, I have been spending a great deal of time on the NCL board to get information, and have been astonished at the bashing that often goes on over there if anyone expresses any opinion other than that NCL is the greatest cruise line ever to sail the seas.

It's very nice to be able to have an adult conversation about the pros and cons of various lines without fear of being trashed. Kudos, Carnival board posters.

Lizcourt, I agree with your statement. It is so nice to read a thread on CC that is polite and respectfull! Which unfortunately is rare!

We have been on both lines although its been awhile since we have sailed RC. Each is better than the other in certain areas. Personally, I feel the food has gone down with Carnival, especially in the buffet. We are planning a RC cruis for next year so we will see.

My overall opinion is as follows:

Entertainment-Royal Caribbean, especially on the two new big ships.

Food-I have no problem with the food on either ship, but I think that Carnival has more options of different places to eat.

Cabins-Carnival has the bigger cabins, but I like the sliding glass doors on Royal instead of the regular door on the balcony cabins.

Value for the money-By far, Carnival has the best prices.

I am 61 years old and I absolutely love the slides on the Carnival ships. They are not just for kids. I also love the Serenity area on the Carnival ships. Also, I love the big screen tvs on the Lido deck on Carnival.

Just my opinion.

Total comparison, remembering that a cruise is a cruise and we had a great time. Also remember that this is strictly a personal opinion.

Rhapsody gets an A

Elation gets a B

That seems fair and likely pretty accurate.

Food: Carnival. Royal's was bland and I could tell most of it was fake.

Entertainment: Carnival. I liked the all-around-the-world show.

Décor: Carnival. So colorful and different. Royal is the same and looks like an office building

Stateroom: Tie. Carnival's beds are nicer and the bathrooms are bigger, but Royal has a nice layout and has a couch in oceanview rooms.

Itinerary: Royal most of the time.

Value: Carnival.

Elegance: Royal

:eek: Can you please tell me what 'fake food' tastes like or IS for that matter???

when doing an analysis like this, price (or at least value for the money) should be involved in the critic.

I tend to agree with the OP in the critic but value for the money would lead me to Carnival

Yeah...not much difference between an A and a B....for some.

I keep thinking though about my very self-motivated oldest daughter, who as a child in school would practically break out in a rash if she didn't get that A.

When it comes to my vacation, I want that A if it is within my budget.

Yeah...not much difference between an A and a B....for some.

I keep thinking though about my very self-motivated oldest daughter, who as a child in school would practically break out in a rash if she didn't get that A.

When it comes to my vacation, I want that A if it is within my budget.

I agree.. if its in my budget, we shoot for the 'A'

but when the A cruise is $1500 and the B Cruise is 799, its hard to not look seriously at the B.

($$ Amounts are just an example and not real cruise numbers)

Elation is actually a newer ship than the Rhapsody of the Seas. IMHO the problem that Carnival has with the Joe Farcus-Late 90's decor is that it doesn't "age" as well. What may have looked "cool and funky" then, probably will start looking outdated and run down 14 years later.

Royal's decor, while somewhat bland and repetitive, is also more elegant and timeless, which makes their older ships not look as outdated.

Just how much orange naugahyde type vinyl did Fracas buy and who is the idiot who made it!?!?!?:eek:

Just how much orange naugahyde type vinyl did Fracas buy and who is the idiot who made it!?!?!?:eek:

Seriously.

;);)

When a certain someone brags on how CCL pays cash for their ships and other lines borrow (like I really care how they pay for the dang ships anyway....) it seems they don't take into consideration that building the CCL ship is far less expensive.....(at least it certainly LOOKS that way....like a Goodwill for ships is the supplier of the decor):p:p:p Seriously, I am thrilled that Farcus is gone......I am sure the newer ships are far more tasteful.

IMHO the problem that Carnival has with the Joe Farcus-Late 90's decor

is that it doesn't "age" as well.

What may have looked "cool and funky" then,

probably will start looking outdated and run down 14 years later.

Fairly sure Carnival has had a big re-think re. Farcus' decor.

Bearable on some ships, but at its worst on Splendor

judging from the pics I've seen of the interior fittings in public spaces.

Hopefully, as each dry dock happens,

they'll be tearing out the old and re-installing something kinder to the eye.

I think the defining variable on this topic (not all the time) is age.

RCL caters to older folks and CCL to younger. NCL has more of a balance.

Been on all three many times. CCL and NCL is our only bookings until we want to experience a slower, quieter vacation.

Happy Sailing!

Personally, I like the tube. I thought that having the cylindrical glass shower was better than Carnival's sticking shower curtain from hell

^^^THIS!!!!

Have been on 28 cruises about evenly divided between the two lines and RCCL clearly has the superior product.

We have pretty much evenly divided our cruise between the two lines as well, plus one on Disney. We like RCCL better, but when the price is right, we choose Carnival. Plus, RCCL doesn't offer shorter itineraries out of Galveston (our home port) any more. Sometimes we just want a quick getaway and not a full blown vacation. --Katie

I'll be going on my first Carnival cruise this Wednesday. I have only sailed RCI on the Navigator and Adventure. Adventure was an amazing ship and I enjoyed both cruises immensely. But I had to keep budget in mind this cruise. Sail away an hour from my home. No need to hassle with airports or day before expense. I am going with an open mind.

Same situation for me! My first with Carnival will be next month, and my last was with Royal on the Navigator. Price won out this time. I'm still nervous about how I will enjoy it versus Royal.

Please let us know your experience/comparison! And have a great cruise!

Have been on 28 cruises about evenly divided between the two lines and RCCL clearly has the superior product.

Id say for me I enjoy both cruiselines, but the perks on RCL are much much better. I do like that RCL has more shows, entertainment and the ships being prettier is also a RCL plus.

I still enjoy coming home to Carnival and looking forward to my two upcoming Carnival cruises.

Haven't sailed CCL in a few years, but have sailed the biggest/best from RCCL....Allure of the Seas.

But, before that, I had sailed RCCL's Liberty of the Seas, and Carnival's Conquest and Liberty. I consider those ships to be pretty similar regarding food, service and the ships overall. I truly enjoyed both. I think both products, while different, were very good. If pressed to pick one ove the other, I considered Carnival to have better food, both in the MDR and their respective buffets. Had balcony cabins on both, probably give a slight edge to Carnival for their balcony cabin, too.

Both lines put out great products, they're just a bit different from each other. I tend to discount all the "the cruise was perfect...I'll never sail another cruise line again....I'm a frequent customer and value the perks (which really mean nothing to me)" crowd. I'll also discount the...."I'll never sail (pick a cruise line) again because I was a)bored, b)insulted, c) starved to death or d) I didn't have my own personal elevator just for me" crowd.

Personally, I have no problem in sailing any of the lines. I like NCL, CCL, RCCL equally.

I'll have another assessment when I return from CCL's newest/best, the Breeze, vs RCCL's Allure.

I do think a lot of judgements regardin Carnival is based on heresay and some of their unfortunate accidents, and the surrounding bad press they've had recently.

To me, that should motivate them to put out a better product, and it sounds like they did some of that with their new ships and the 2.0 initiative.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it and will report back in a couple of weeks.

We had taken four Carnival cruises before trying Royal Caribbean. Once we stepped on board, we experienced that "WOW" factor. We were impressed with everything about it. By the end of that cruise, we were ready to book another! We were so glad we gave it a try!

That's not to say we won't occasionally cruise on a different line. We love Princess and plan to give Celebrity and Holland America a try.

Archived