Only 1 Sea of Cortez cruise - Is that why the $ is so high?

dcsam

Darn! Finally... I'm retired and could take our long-hoped-for-Sea-of Cortez cruise. But now I see they're only offering 1, 12 night trip. :( And the price is just too high ($1800 pp for the lowest outside cabin). I noticed all the balcony cabins are already booked up for the the Dec. 4 Sea-of-Cortez. If there were to be any price-drops, would they have happened by now? December is just around the corner. Oh well... Next year - I hope.

Sea of Cortez was one of our favorite trips. We are sorry HAL is no longer doing more of them. Maybe supply and demand dictated this price -- or the extra precautions they have to provide in this troubled corner of the world. Shame because it was really wonderful in every stop, even Cabo has its honky tonk charms and good deals on glassware.

That's $150 per person per night. If it were on my bucket list, I'd book a guarantee in the minimum cabin I'd be happy in and make sure to note that it was in celebration of a retirement :) Who knows what could happen. Worst case, you're on a DAM ship on a dream cruise ;)

All of HALs Mexican itiineraries seem to be about $150 per night per person. The 2014 Sea of Cortez cruise is $100 more than this years. Final payment is not due yet, so you never know. I would check every day just in case they have a few cabins left unsold and want to reduce the price.

Darn! Finally... I'm retired and could take our long-hoped-for-Sea-of Cortez cruise. But now I see they're only offering 1, 12 night trip. :( And the price is just too high ($1800 pp for the lowest outside cabin). I noticed all the balcony cabins are already booked up for the the Dec. 4 Sea-of-Cortez. If there were to be any price-drops, would they have happened by now? December is just around the corner. Oh well... Next year - I hope.

I've been watching the pricing on this cruise and there have been NO price drops.... and I've been watching it since February :eek:

If you want to do it, IMHO it is worth the price as long as it doesn't destroy your bank account. This used to be a 10-day cruise, I think the 12-day is worth seriously considering. It is a fabulous itin!

I was looking at this cruise too, but found out that there's a large group onboard. Maybe the prices for "regular" cruisers are higher since there are fewer cabins available? http://jazzdagen.com/

I found a price of $1559 for Deck A--category FF and $1369 for Main Deck L.

These were the lowest prices in Oceanview and Inside. The FF is a guarantee, but if you book an F you can select your stateroom. Price for an F was $1619.

Since there are few sailings in Mexico, the prices probably won't drop much. As you have stated all the Veranada are sold out. If the prices do come down, it will be about $50 and probably won't happen until October.

Living in Baja, and enjoying all of it's treasurers, this is definitely on my list of cruises to take... and we are focusing on December of 2015 with a group of Baja foreign residents and aficionados.

Many of us want to do the Copper Canyon, which really takes several days, and several days to get there, but a one day shore excursion will be a great introduction for us. Everyone I know wants to do this cruise, and yes, it will exceed my normal cruise budget. Still gonna do it! :)

Jacques Cousteau proclaimed Mexico’s Sea of Cortez, Baja California, Mexico, to be the "aquarium of the world." I live on the Pacific Coast side, but visit the Sea of Cortez as often as I can (but not enough!). If you really want to experience whale watching, there is nothing like doing it in Baja... on either side.

I was looking at this cruise too, but found out that there's a large group onboard. Maybe the prices for "regular" cruisers are higher since there are fewer cabins available? http://jazzdagen.com/

I guess "large" is a relative term. When I contacted jazzdagen they said they were expecting between 100 and 150 people in total. To me that doesn't seem like a large group, even for the smallish Statendam.

We have enjoyed several Sea of Cortez cruises and am sad to see that HAL is only offering one. I would not expect the prices to go down for that reason. Have done a sailing as part of the Jazzdagen group. Their jazz concerts are really fun. I don't think a group of 150 people is very many. I would not let that deter me from booking if I really wanted to do this itinerary.

We'll be on an Alaskan cruise this coming week, so I might see what the onboard cruise agent has to offer. Still not sure how all this future cruise credit or reduced deposit thing works while onboard. But could it help?

I guess "large" is a relative term. When I contacted jazzdagen they said they were expecting between 100 and 150 people in total. To me that doesn't seem like a large group, even for the smallish Statendam.

My bad. I assumed that they would be a much larger group. With that "small" of a group, regulars cruisers probably won't be impacted/inconvenienced that much. I may need to re-think this cruise, thanks! :)

dcsam,

While I realize that $150 per day may be more than you can pay, or want to pay, for a popular, relatively uncommon cruise I personally do not think that is a high price at all. In fact, for an outside cabin on this itinerary I would expect to pay more for such a cruise. Unlike cruises that are run frequently, like Alaska and the Carib., this type of cruise will be priced higher.

Of course, this does not help you if it is beyond your budget. However, unless there are some serious problems in that area I would not expect prices to go down next year if I were you. Have you looked into an inside cabin or do you have problems with a windowless cabin? While I certainly prefer a window (or a veranda is possible), an inside is fine for me if it is necessary to afford the cruise.

dcsam,

While I realize that $150 per day may be more than you can pay, or want to pay, for a popular, relatively uncommon cruise I personally do not think that is a high price at all. In fact, for an outside cabin on this itinerary I would expect to pay more for such a cruise. Unlike cruises that are run frequently, like Alaska and the Carib., this type of cruise will be priced higher.

Of course, this does not help you if it is beyond your budget. However, unless there are some serious problems in that area I would not expect prices to go down next year if I were you. Have you looked into an inside cabin or do you have problems with a windowless cabin? While I certainly prefer a window (or a veranda is possible), an inside is fine for me if it is necessary to afford the cruise.

When we analyzed inside versus window cabins, we realize we spend most of our cabin time asleep or in the enclosed bathroom getting ready for events. So daylight in the cabin was really of only minor significance time wise.

However, those few moments of daylight when the run comes up in the morning and greeting us during the day always outweigh the perfectly reasonable option of an inside cabin; all things considered. Plus getting snookered on several Red Sea area cruises where they had to cover the port-holes anyway for pirate securities, we had a de facto inside cabin after all.

So if it came down to cruising or not cruising and taking an inside cabin to do it, the immediate practicalities of real time cabin use would definitely win out over those few more intangible extra minutes of real daylight.

Sea of Cortez is a special itinerary - so bottom-line, go for it and go inside if this is the way to make it work.

For ~$100 per person, we'd definitely take the outside category. The more we've been considering all the options, the more we're liking this cruise. We also have a wedding reception to attend a few days after the cruise (in San Diego), so the idea of cruising elsewhere only adds to the expense of flying to San Diego once we return from a potential Caribbean cruise. And so, this serves a dual purpose. We've taken many land trips to Baja and the mainland parts of Mexico. We love it. But seeing the Sea of Cortez on a ship verses being on land is something we'd look forward to. So when it boils down to it, looks like we'll most likely book this cruise as soon as we get back from our Alaska one. Next step is figuring out what this on-ship cruise person can do for us during our upcoming cruise.

Thanks so much!

Any of the larger on-line TA's should be able to get you a price several hundred dollars less than your $1,800 pp for an oceanview cabin.

Scott & Karen

For ~$100 per person, we'd definitely take the outside category. The more we've been considering all the options, the more we're liking this cruise. We also have a wedding reception to attend a few days after the cruise (in San Diego), so the idea of cruising elsewhere only adds to the expense of flying to San Diego once we return from a potential Caribbean cruise. And so, this serves a dual purpose. We've taken many land trips to Baja and the mainland parts of Mexico. We love it. But seeing the Sea of Cortez on a ship verses being on land is something we'd look forward to. So when it boils down to it, looks like we'll most likely book this cruise as soon as we get back from our Alaska one. Next step is figuring out what this on-ship cruise person can do for us during our upcoming cruise.

Thanks so much!

Yay! So glad to hear you'll probably book! I hope you write a review. I'd love to read it!

Check the fares the Jazz group is offering...they may be less than what HAL is quoting you. Also, their group block of rooms may give you better choices.

You'll need to contact the group directly for fares; the onboard cruise consultant on your Alaska cruise won't have access to them.

If you book in their group, you can go to their jazz concerts, or not. It's up to you.

Edited by Boatdrill

If you check the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises, the outside rooms are at $1,000. Of course if you compare (or expect) the price to be the same as say Alaska at $499 or Caribbean at $599, the price is high. But for just comparing 7 days- $1,000 or 12 days $1,800 I don't think it is that out of line.

Right now I am looking at a 28 day Quebec to San Diego cruise for an inside at $1,900. Not on my bucket list, but a heck of a price. $67 a day. Just looking at the value, not the itinerary.:D

If you check the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises, the outside rooms are at $1,000. Of course if you compare (or expect) the price to be the same as say Alaska at $499 or Caribbean at $599, the price is high. But for just comparing 7 days- $1,000 or 12 days $1,800 I don't think it is that out of line.

Good thing about this Mexican Riviera/Sea of Cortez itinerary is you don't need to do many shore excursions. Most of the stops are plenty interesting to explore on your own. Loreto is the best. PV is also great - but you do need to have good mobility to walk around a bit and take some local transportation.

Edited by OlsSalt

• 1 month later...

I really want to do the Sea of Cortez, but didn't HAL used to offer this multiple times a year? December doesn't really work for us.

Why do they only do this cruise once per year now? Perhaps in 2015 there will be more options.