Military "Mess Dress"

theheartbreakkid

Morning all,

I have cruised before, however, I have not been for some years and have since gained a commission in the British Armed Forces. I have been told that many members of the US forces wear mess dress (or equivalent) which, in the UK, is effectively the military equivalent of black tie, on formal nights.

I am going on a cruise from the US soon and wondered if it would be the done thing for a British Officer to wear mess dress on formal nights, or is it just seen as ostentatious? I am very proud to have earned the right to wear it, however, would it be seen as inappropriate, in particular by the US citizens who will no doubt be in the majority on board!?

Views much appreciated,

HBK.

Morning all,

I have cruised before, however, I have not been for some years and have since gained a commission in the British Armed Forces. I have been told that many members of the US forces wear mess dress (or equivalent) which, in the UK, is effectively the military equivalent of black tie, on formal nights.

I am going on a cruise from the US soon and wondered if it would be the done thing for a British Officer to wear mess dress on formal nights, or is it just seen as ostentatious? I am very proud to have earned the right to wear it, however, would it be seen as inappropriate, in particular by the US citizens who will no doubt be in the majority on board!?

Views much appreciated,

HBK.

oh hell yes wear it! if we were on the same cruise not only would we NOT care, I'd lay odds my husband would want to compare baubles.

and then compare sea stories.....

do not ever be ashamed of serving your country.

Wear mine all the time with no second thoughts. You earned the privlige. My wife however would sooner see me in a tux. Not because she doesn't like the mess kit but rather because she calls it my "chick magnet". Don't be surprized if you get asked for photos with people and don't be surprized if some see you as one of the ships officers. I have been asked everything from where is the nearest powder room to "all the other officers wear white, you must be someone very important wearing red and blue". Wear it with pride!

A Gunner

Clearly it won't be an issue then folks!

Gunner - As an infantry officer mine is bright red and gold so I shouldn't be mistaken for a ships' officer I don't think!

My parents are taking me on the holiday as a commissioning present, so they will be keen to see me in my mess dress as previously it has only been worn at private mess functions.

HBK

Another yes vote, FWIW. I have seen Aussies & Canadians in uniform aboard ship. I can't see any reason why you shouldn't wear your uniform with pride.

I absolutely agree. DH wore his mess kit on our last sailing on the QM2. The presence of an American medal on a Canadian officer resulted in several conversations (and a couple of free cocktails, if memory serves :D) that evening. There were several officers from different countries in their mess dress- Americans, Brits, and Canadians.

Morning all,

Views much appreciated,

HBK.

Should you be aboard either of our two cruises (see below) I'd be pleased to meet you and compare mess dress!

Have a great time while visiting us. :)

Morning all,

Views much appreciated,

HBK.

You've earned it. Wear it and be proud :-) I personally love seeing a man in uniform. I'm American and would not be offended in any way by seeing your mess dress.

Morning all,

Views much appreciated,

HBK.

You absolutely should wear it! I've worn my mess dress a few times on cruises and would love to see more military folks wear them. Granted, it gets a little tiring being asked where the dining room is, but what can you do? :D I can't imagine how anyone would be bothered by it. So from a 20 years of service and still counting active duty airman, go for it!

I grew up as a US Army Brat and never served, but have High Respect for those who served. I will be in my Tux and Tails, however if I run into anyone in their Mess Dress I will buy you and your's a round of whatever you drink. Thank you ALL for your service and Welcome Aboard!

IMHO there is nothing more appropriate then Mess Dress. You are serving your country (an ally of ours the last time I looked) and should always be proud to wear the uniform. DW thinks that mess dress looks sexy so watch out!

Hank

Morning all,

Coming from someone who has served in the U.S. forces, I say wear that UK dress proud, my friend!