Choclate Party is it worth it??

granni10

I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you the chocolate buffet will be during lunch one day, on Lido. It used to be very elaborate, and definitely worth the risk to a diabetic. But, it's been scaled down considerably. I am diabetic also, and have not risked any of it on the last 3 cruises. None of the chocolate buffet is sugar free. Sorry. There is sugar free ice cream in MDR and occasionally a sugar free dessert (cake or pie) as well.

The Chocolate Extravaganza has dwindled, bit by bit, since its original glory days, and it's a shadow of what it used to be. We checked it out yesterday on the Elation, and there was not a single think we even wanted to try. I used to like the little pastry swans with hand dipped ice cream - those are long gone, at least on the Elation. The mousse was always good, but it was all gone within 30 minutes of opening. It's nowhere near what it was, and not worth a special visit to the Lido buffet.

Reading through the list isn't chocolate diet cake an oxymoron :)

Not necessarily...chocolate with only cocoa butter contains little harmful saturated fats and unsweetened chocolate has no sugar. Many flourless cakes use canola or vegetable oil versus butter and reduce sugar or use a substitute like Splenda. The question is does it TASTE like an Ox or a Moron?:p

The Chocolate Extravaganza has dwindled, bit by bit, since its original glory days, and it's a shadow of what it used to be. We checked it out yesterday on the Elation, and there was not a single think we even wanted to try. I used to like the little pastry swans with hand dipped ice cream - those are long gone, at least on the Elation. The mousse was always good, but it was all gone within 30 minutes of opening. It's nowhere near what it was, and not worth a special visit to the Lido buffet.

Last week on the Valor, I had a pastry swan with ice cream! And the chocolate truffle cake was really really good! It went very fast!

This, ice cream swans and the candied walnuts are all I will eat at the Chocolate buffet. I think the rest isn't worth the calories. On 1 cruise, I saw a lot of plates with food left on them.

Elation had neither yesterday - I was a bit disappointed, but we got the Platinum gift of chocolate covered strawberries and truffles later in our room, which made up for it.

I love choclate. But I only had couple bites if I ever went to those choclate buffet. I think it's because the taste, or simply I was always full on cruise ships.

That buffet is very teasing to the eye, but the tummy says no. No one is truly hungry at that time, making it less than appealing. For the effort of preparing it, there must be tons of wasted goodies. I can see why the cutback. Makes picture taking good though.

Not necessarily...chocolate with only cocoa butter contains little harmful saturated fats and unsweetened chocolate has no sugar. Many flourless cakes use canola or vegetable oil versus butter and reduce sugar or use a substitute like Splenda. The question is does it TASTE like an Ox or a Moron?:p

My husband is such a chocolate fanatic he will eat 100% cacao unsweetened baking chocolate and unsweetened cacao nibs. The sugar and cream added for milk chocolate are what makes it bad.. otherwise it's full of antioxidants and there's at least some evidence out there it can help lower blood pressure (at a 1oz per day limit.)

As for the chocolate buffet on the ship, we haven't been since may our second cruise. The selections are just ok, and the lines are usually really crazy.

Archived