Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

Check the "gift " offerings against the on board room service menusd- DH and I were surprised that it's cheaper to wait and order from room service than to preorder yourself a bottle (of course now can't find the links I used...). We are looking specifically at bourbon / whiskey, but I think it was across the board.

No it's not. The gift section has the 15% already added to it. Order it onboard and the 15% will be added

Thanks Jimmy. Without getting into discussion of my wine taste preference :p, is my 5 liter box of white zin considered my one free 'bottle'? It doesn't need corking, just opening the spigot :D.

:eek: BOXED WINE??:eek:

I too shall refrain from passing judgement of your right to choose your favourite libation.....

But i wonder how Princess would do the math..if it is $15 ' corkage' fee for every 750 ml bottle in excess of the allowed ONE, would they have to charge $15 per 750 of liquid ( heh, i cant bring myself to call it " wine" ;)) for spigotage?

That would be approx $15 x 5.5= $84!!!

Now THAT would make me go EEEEEEKKKKKK:

Edited by remydiva

:eek: BOXED WINE??:eek:

I too shall refrain from passing judgement of your right to choose your favourite libation.....

But i wonder how Princess would do the math..if it is $15 ' corkage' fee for every 750 ml bottle in excess of the allowed ONE, would they have to charge $15 per 750 of liquid ( heh, i cant bring myself to call it " wine" ;)) for spigotage?

That would be approx $15 x 5.5= $84!!!

Now THAT would make me go EEEEEEKKKKKK:

There was a post about a month ago that someone was charged $45 corkage on a box of wine

Thanks Jimmy. Without getting into discussion of my wine taste preference :p, is my 5 liter box of white zin considered my one free 'bottle'? It doesn't need corking, just opening the spigot :D.

There was a post about a month ago that someone was charged $45 corkage on a box of wine

There are few reports on how this is handled, but what few reports there have been suggest that boxes of wine are charged on a pro rated basis as described above.

How many people have had booze taken from their checked luggage or bags that they take on at the terminal when they board the ship in the last couple of months? What port did you embark on? I have seen only one person report this. Has anyone had this happen to this you?

Just back from an eastern Mediterranean junket on the Ruby. There was no evidence of liquor being removed from luggage nor was there a booze collection table at any port of call. Just for the heck of it I brought back several bottles and cans of beer and a bottle of wine in Corfu, put my back pack thru the scanner and no one even looked sideways at me. :)

The policy and it's enforcement don't always line up. I've bought alcohol in port thinking it would be stored and it was allowed on. If someone asks the policy, I give them the policy. If they want to risk it, they can, but they should know it's not "supposed" to be allowed on, and can be destroyed, even if it sometimes is missed or waved through.

I think it may depend on the port, the ship. the security people. We in no way tried to sneak it on. I don't think it was "missed" since we were not the only ones bringing it onboard. We were told we could bring it back on with no problem and did so. It does seem the rules are not consistent.

Edited by O2Bcrusin

I think it may depend on the port, the ship. the security people. We in no way tried to sneak it on. I don't think it was "missed" since we were not the only ones bringing it onboard. We were told we could bring it back on with no problem and did so. It does seem the rules are not consistent.

When it all kicked off on the Golden in March it was the food and beverage director who was calling all the shots. I guess its his departments profit that's effected.

No it's not. The gift section has the 15% already added to it. Order it onboard and the 15% will be added

Ah HAH that makes total sense, thank you! Although preordering it doesn't appeal to me on this like it did on the Allure of the Seas, when I actually got to pre-pay for things - something about paying for things ahead of time made me feel better. (On that ship, we got the all you can drink package - our on board account was much more palatable at the end of the cruise because we paid for that package before we even got on board :D)

"It is Princess' property, it can set the rules"

Maybe princess should apply the same rules to their employees!

Want to know where to buy booze in port ?

Just follow an employee, they will buy numerous bottles and return to the ship. What is good for the goose is good for the gander!;)

Do you make this stuff up? Crew can bring back one bottle

of wine when boarding. If they bring back liquor, it is held

for them UNTIL THE END OF THEIR CONTRACT.

From time-to-time folks onboard ask me to purchase something

with the elite discount on the last day, so they can have a party

in their cabin.

... Princess is not trying to create "dry" ships. It is trying to create a low base price vacation option with augmented revenues from other sources, and it has a very strong incentive to prevent passengers from circumventing that augmentation. .

The contradiction lies in the fact that by keeping the fare as low as possible they are attracting a clientele with limited funds. And who better the need to augment their alcohol supply costs.

The contradiction lies in the fact that by keeping the fare as low as possible they are attracting a clientele with limited funds. And who better the need to augment their alcohol supply costs.

That would hold true were the smugglers solely occupying the cheapest cabins for the shortest itineraries. However, I've seen comments from balcony occupiers as well, and it would seem strange for them to claim poverty as the basis.

I see where you are going with this, but I'm not sure it pans out. PCL is not attracting people with limited funds. It is attracting people with (perhaps) lesser funds than, say, Crystal or Oceania, though neither of us has any way to support that statement. But let's assume this to be true. This doesn't mean that PCL passengers are sourcing government cheese and panhandling for money to buy liquor and BINGO cards. PCL customers don't need to sail with smuggled alcohol. People paying $1799 per person for a Mini-Suite or $3200 per person for a suite, (or, frankly, people paying $799 for an inside cabin) can afford several drinks a day from the bar. Indeed, most of the discussion of smuggling liquor on board seems to center on the fact that PCL doesn't carry a particular (high end) brand of fill in the blank with the spirit of your choice. When someone says: "Princess doesn't carry Macallan 25, so I want to bring on my own bottle", that doesn't strike me as the voice of someone living on the dole who needs to find ways to cut costs. It is the voice of someone who has a particular preference. As noted earlier, I would like to see PCL honor that preference by allowing the bottle to be brought on board after the payment of the spirit's equivalent of a corkage charge. Win-win.

With all respect, may I suggest we stop chatting on this thread? The rules are the rules. Respect them or break them -- personal choice. If a person makes it through, great -- if not, then the pax took the chance knowing the potential consequences.

And OMG, did it ever occur to anyone that Princess actively reads these boards?

"Hey, let's all put our latest sneaky tricks that didn't get caught out there to share!" is not a good strategy.

Just my two cents -- or 750 ml -- whatever.

As noted earlier, I would like to see PCL honor that preference by allowing the bottle to be brought on board after the payment of the spirit's equivalent of a corkage charge. Win-win.

I agree that that would be a preferable policy. While I doubt i would bring on any liquor (neither my brand preference nor overall consumption would make it more worthwhile than purchasing individual drinks), i may bring beer on board, particularly if i find something I like in port, and would pay a bottlage fee or whatever to do so.

Its important to note that disagreeing with the current policy or envisioning a "better" one is one thing. The belief that said disagreement entitles me to violate the policy, or that PCL's confiscation of my contraband is a travesty, as some suggest, is something different.

With all respect, may I suggest we stop chatting on this thread? The rules are the rules. Respect them or break them -- personal choice. If a person makes it through, great -- if not, then the pax took the chance knowing the potential consequences.

And OMG, did it ever occur to anyone that Princess actively reads these boards?

"Hey, let's all put our latest sneaky tricks that didn't get caught out there to share!" is not a good strategy.

Just my two cents -- or 750 ml -- whatever.

But the flip side to this is that if PCL is reading this, (and we know that they are), isn't it a good idea to allow people to demonstrate how passionate they are about this issue as well as to discuss ways that we think PCL might change its policies so as to benefit everyone? I agree that discussions of how to best break the rules are counter-productive (and probably against the CC guidelines). But a discussion about how PCL can improve its product and up customer satisfaction is always good to have.

Its important to note that disagreeing with the current policy or envisioning a "better" one is one thing. The belief that said disagreement entitles me to violate the policy, or that PCL's confiscation of my contraband is a travesty, as some suggest, is something different.

Perfectly stated. The mission here should be to get the rules changed, and not to figure out ways to break the existing ones.

Perfectly stated. The mission here should be to get the rules changed, and not to figure out ways to break the existing ones.

I agree. Simply returning to the previous policy of selling 1L bottles of spirits would be a great step in my opinion.

Mike:)

That was most likely for a 3 liter box which by the way for whites and blush wines, fits nicely in most mini-frigs.;)

Edited by robtulipe

Or use rum runners and never be caught.

If the security wants to confiscate rum runners they do have the technology to do so. Rum Runner will show up on the X-Ray scanners. The fact that they are clear, or plastic will not make any difference.

If the cruise lines decides to spend the time and effort, they can and will confiscate all alcoholic beverages, including rum runners.

When will they do this?

When the cruise lines decides that they are losing significant income at the ships bars, they will become more aggressive.

Interesting. So in theory, ship's personnel have the right to enter our cabin in the middle of the night, strip-search my wife and me, without notice and without probable cause, and being totally subject to their rules and being in international waters, I have neither legal protection nor recourse. I never realized cruising could be so, um, exciting.

When you are outside the United States, whether it is a ship at sea or before you exit the U.S. Customs area at the airport, the United States Constitution does not apply.

If you are on a ship at sea the Captain does have the right to enter your cabin without a search warrant. He/she also has the right to detain you, lock you in the ship's brig, and even order a search.

To often, many U.S. citizens travelling abroad think that the rights that we enjoy in the U.S. will apply to them no matter where they area. Unfortunately this is not true.