Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

But I say good on Princess, the rule is and has been clearly stated in your passage contract, luggage tag and boarding pass that only wine may be brought aboard. If you break the rules and get caught, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I couldn't agree more. On this point, as well as so many non-cruise others (stop signs, texting while driving, paying taxes, etc.) I am tired of people who seem to think the rules don't apply to them. This is the rule. Abide by it, seek to change it or avoid the situation where it applies.

When you are outside the United States, whether it is a ship at sea or before you exit the U.S. Customs area at the airport, the United States Constitution does not apply.

If you are on a ship at sea the Captain does have the right to enter your cabin without a search warrant. He/she also has the right to detain you, lock you in the ship's brig, and even order a search.

To often, many U.S. citizens travelling abroad think that the rights that we enjoy in the U.S. will apply to them no matter where they area. Unfortunately this is not true.

Yes, I do understand that. So as a couple in our 60's who are light drinkers and who have never done so much as bring a bottle of wine on board, this still leaves me wondering how to protect ourselves against unreasonable searches and detention -- short of giving up cruising. Apparently there is no such protection.

Yes, I do understand that. So as a couple in our 60's who are light drinkers and who have never done so much as bring a bottle of wine on board, this still leaves me wondering how to protect ourselves against unreasonable searches and detention -- short of giving up cruising. Apparently there is no such protection.

Your main protection against such acts is behaving on board as well as the cruise line's knowledge that truly unreasonable acts are likely to become very public, very soon, which is very bad for business.

Your main protection against such acts is behaving on board as well as the cruise line's knowledge that truly unreasonable acts are likely to become very public, very soon, which is very bad for business.

Right. I find the odds that I will be strip searched in the middle of the night without cause to be fairly low on my list of concerns when cruising. However, I did take out a sizeable robot attack insurance plan in case of robot attack.

Right. I find the odds that I will be strip searched in the middle of the night without cause to be fairly low on my list of concerns when cruising. However, I did take out a sizeable robot attack insurance plan in case of robot attack.

For robot attacks, I find that a tinfoil helmet is sufficient. But I never cruise without full "meteorite collision" insurance.

Hey, let's all put our latest sneaky tricks that didn't get caught out there to share!
Not just sneaky tricks, but the posts about how the policy wasn't enforced -- posting those comments might make someone in a higher position wonder way, and make sure it is enforced. Same with people posting that their coffee card wasn't marked with the date and voyage.

What about zombies?

If the security wants to confiscate rum runners they do have the technology to do so. Rum Runner will show up on the X-Ray scanners. The fact that they are clear, or plastic will not make any difference.

If the cruise lines decides to spend the time and effort, they can and will confiscate all alcoholic beverages, including rum runners.

When will they do this?

When the cruise lines decides that they are losing significant income at the ships bars, they will become more aggressive.

Rum runners do not show up on xray anymore than other innocent objects, in other words almost impossible to detect

With all respect, may I suggest we stop chatting on this thread? The rules are the rules. Respect them or break them -- personal choice. If a person makes it through, great -- if not, then the pax took the chance knowing the potential consequences.

And OMG, did it ever occur to anyone that Princess actively reads these boards?

"Hey, let's all put our latest sneaky tricks that didn't get caught out there to share!" is not a good strategy.

Just my two cents -- or 750 ml -- whatever.

My thought on the matter is that I value my relationship with Princess too much to break a serious rule. As for the person who asked if they can enter and search your cabin. Yes. They can. You're at sea. The captain has more powers than simply marrying people. I act on the assumption anyway that nothing in my cabin (except in the safe) is private from the cabin steward.

That being said, I'm a light drinker who might have a drink at the show or might not. I probably confuse the bar staff terribly.

Edited by Wehwalt

How about Count Dracula?:eek:

I know sunshine IS the best disinfectant and all...;)

But really, what else can I do besides a wooden stake? Knowing the cruise line, they'll probably impose a service charge on THAT too!:D:p

How about Count Dracula?:eek:

I know sunshine IS the best disinfectant and all...;)

But really, what else can I do besides a wooden stake? Knowing the cruise line, they'll probably impose a service charge on THAT too!:D:p

Garlic door decoration - don't leave home without it! :)

I couldn't agree more. On this point, as well as so many non-cruise others (stop signs, texting while driving, paying taxes, etc.) I am tired of people who seem to think the rules don't apply to them. This is the rule. Abide by it, seek to change it or avoid the situation where it applies.

I agree on this one as well.....:):):)

Bob

No, not really. Princess allows unlimited 750ml bottles of wine and Champagne. The first bottle per adult is free to bring on board, and free to be consumed in your cabin. All additional bottles are subject to a $15 per bottle corkage fee at the time of boarding, and once that is paid, the bottles can be consumed anywhere on the ship at no additional cost. The "free bottles" will be subject to the $15 corkage fee at the time of consumption if consumed in a public area such as a dining room or lounge.

So if you bring 5 bottles of wine onboard, pay corkage on 4 and have the 1 "free" one, how do they know that you are bringing the "free" one into a dining area vs one that has already had the corkage paid for?

So if you bring 5 bottles of wine onboard, pay corkage on 4 and have the 1 "free" one, how do they know that you are bringing the "free" one into a dining area vs one that has already had the corkage paid for?

They put a stamp on the bottles that have the corkage paid on embarkation.

Thanks :) Is it a sticker stamp or do the stamp something on the label? I would think a sticker could be transferred.

Could be either, but they have been known to use a "Sea Witch" ink stamp. I don't think that they are to concerned about transferring. After all. Even if they used an ink stamp, there would be nothing stopping someone from bringing the empty bottle back to their cabin and pouring the wine from the one unstamped bottle into a stamped bottle, and then bringing that bottle to the MDR the next night. Are people really going to be so devious over $15, especially after Princess was thoughful enough to allow them to bring their own wine on in the first place? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

Edited by JimmyVWine

Could be either, but they have been known to use a "Sea Witch" ink stamp. I don't think that they are to concerned about transferring. After all. Even if they used an ink stamp, there would be nothing stopping someone from bringing the empty bottle back to their cabin and pouring the wine from the one unstamped bottle into a stamped bottle, and then bringing that bottle to the MDR the next night. Are people really going to be so devious over $15, especially after Princess was thoughful enough to allow them to bring their own wine on in the first place? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

All true :) I was just wondering how it all works.

They should not search your bag without you there! They could lay themselves open to charges of theft, if you claimed something else was missing from your bag! Know they have a stated alcohol policy which should be adhered to by passengers but that does not excuse the cruiseline security staff going into anyone's bag.

Exactly how is this any different than TSA opening your bag? If one breaks the stated rules, one should expect to be caught. I get the impression that the OP understood this and was merely reporting the facts.

Being a Sapphire afficionado I thought that I was missing something as well.:D

I buy a 1.75L from Total Wine for less than two 375ml onboard.

Mike:)

750ML bottle of Sapphire in Coff's Harbour Australia=$75.00au!!