Hotel in Ft Lauderdale

fourkittys

There's lots of discussion on the FL Departures forum where you will get the benefit of the experience pf cruisers on many lines:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

and on many other threads on this forum. Search for 'hotel' in the titles. Here is a recent one with 114 replies. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1908419

Can someone recommend a clean, moderate cost hotel w/shutlle and nearby restaurants (no car) following our cruise out of Ft Lauderdale? Thanks in advance!!!!!

We like the Embassy Suites hotel on 17th street. Free drinks in the evening, free breakfast in the morning. Nicely located, close to the port. We just grab a taxi from the airport. It's not far. Enjoy!!

We stayed at the Comfort Inn just nearby, too. It was adequate, but the breakfast area so small and crowded that we just wandered over to McDonald's instead. I was also wondering about Embassy Suites for the next time, and I wanted to ask Kazu, who was with a bunch of people from her roll call, if they got a group rate? I think she said they did get together for drinks one evening?

Embassy Suites has a full breakfast every morning that is included in the price of your room. Eggs anyway you want them, pancakes, muffins, fresh fruit, etc.

Each evening there is a mangers cocktail party from 5:30 - 7:30. Cocktails, beer, wine, mixed drinks -- not top shelf brands. There will be either some nachos or pretzels, or potato chips or popcorn to snack on.

They haven't had their own free shuttles in years. But it is so close to the pier that taxi's don't cost much. That is what we use. They do offer shuttle service for a fee -- usually around $9 a person (a taxi for 2 people is cheaper than that) -- you need to sign up at the concierge's desk.

You might luck out and get a room facing east towards the ships -- best views are from floors 10, 11 and 12.

I also vote for Embassy Suites, booked them for one night in December prior to our Noordam cruise. Last two stays pre cruise in FLL we stayed at the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina. We did not enjoy them as much, but the Renaissance was fine overall.

A poster on the Florida board recently recommended the Extended Stay America. It was recently totally redone, and is in the same shopping center as TW and Publix. It looked to be a good option if you are looking for a frugal find with free shuttles and breakfast. I do not like kitchenettes in the room in general, but I know some families do. Pics and reviews of the property look very good.

Can someone recommend a clean, moderate cost hotel w/shutlle and nearby restaurants (no car) following our cruise out of Ft Lauderdale? Thanks in advance!!!!!

A more `moderate cost hotel` could be the SleepInn Dania. Three restaurants (Mexican.Italian and Chinese) very close by. Free breakfast and free shuttle to the airport. The shuttle to and from the pier used to be free but I believe there is a nominal fee ($5.00 ?) now. Also has a Publix and a Walgreens a stones throw away. We stayed there once about a year ago precruise and it was clean and convenient.

Next April we are taking our first cruise out of FLL in a long while. Based on some favorable comments here on CC and also on TripAdvisor, we booked the Hyatt Place. It is just around the corner from the Embassy Suites, and according to the map, it is also across the street from the Harbor Shops.

Part of our logic in booking the Hyatt is that we had just enough points in our Hyatt Gold Passport accounts for a free night.

4kitties, I offered advice over on the Florida Departures board where you posed this same question, and got blasted by another CC member as being a booze guzzlin' wino. :D

Roz

Oh my. Just went over and read the thread myself. Sort of funny. You handled it well. Might want to direct them to some of the posting etiquette recommendations in the "If you don't agree..." thread here. ;)

4kitties, I offered advice over on the Florida Departures board where you posed this same question, and got blasted by another CC member as being a booze guzzlin' wino. :D

Roz

That poster has quickly become the scourge of the Florida Departures board. You`re not the first victim. And besides, I`ve observed you drinking wine for hours on end and you certainly do not GUZZLE! :):)

We usually stay at the Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port. Close to the airport and cruise docks. They offer a free shuttle to/from the airport and a low cost shuttle to the pier. Rates are reasonable. Rooms and service are good.

Dan

There are many. Don't get hung up on a shuttle to the cruise port. It is only a $10 or $15 cab ride to the dock from most hotels near the dock area/beach.

Even if our hotel has a shuttle, we invariably take a cab to avoid being scrunched up in a tiny van/bus. Plus we go when we want to go, not when the shuttle happens to be leaving.

A number of hotel shuttles to the port are now charging $5. for the service. It is hardly worthwhile.

Archived