Pros and Cons of Alaska in May or September?

jealdaka

Can some of you give me some input on some of the pros and cons of sailing in either May or September? I know the weather may be less desirable either time but am thinking more of how much difference it would make in how much wildlife we see if we do a cruisetour. Those are the only two months we are able to go but I can't decide which would be best. Any other tidbits of information you may have would be helpful.

We just got back last week from our Alaska cruise. I was alittle leary about the September weather myself since others say it was less desirable. It just so happened the last cruise of the season (on Carnival) was during my DH's birthday so that decided which week we would be going. Not sure which line you're looking at, but for instance Carnival only does their Glacier Bay sailing the first & last itinerary of the season. We lucked out because we LOVED Glacier Bay. It was the highlight of our trip! I'll be doing a thorough review once I have enough time to complete.

one-way or RT? and what kind of 'wildlife' ?

If I HAD to choose between those 2 months I'd choose May, and as late in the month as possible. The landscape will be starting to green up so if you drive to the Yukon out of Skagway you might see 'wildlife' munching on new spring greenery along the hwy.

I'd never travel after the first week in Sept ... high risk of being hit by a Fall storm with high winds, rain and cold temps.

We departed Whittier Alaska to Vancouver on August 31 and we thoroughly enjoyed it. There are still salmon runs for the bears to feast on. We saw plenty of moose prior to the cruise in Homer. Orcas and humpback whales in Juneau. Mountain gates outside of Skagway. Bears on our excursion in Ketchikan. Dolphins as we cruised the inside passage. Definitely go on a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay!

IMHO May is the best month for seeing the newly arrived baby humpback whales and orcas from Hawaii.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=543

Lots of snow still around on the peaks in May. Riding the Yukon & White Pass Railroad in the mountains in Skagway is beautiful in the snow. See the comparison for May and September on my webpage:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1070

September has only traces of snow and is mainly green. There is a final salmon run in early September which makes bears easier to spot around creeks. The weather is beginning to change and storms are more prevalent

Personally I prefer May over September.

Pro for May is that there is still a lot of snow in areas to enjoy the views of it and the hours of sunlight while not as long as some months is longer than September where the sun sets early and the weather can be more rainy.

In September if you want to purchase items there are usually sales in stores. There will be less children on the ships but if you go first half in May that will be true as well for those cruises

Either way I am sure you will have a great time.

I have been twice in September, both times they were the last cruises of the season, once with RCI and last year with Princess.

I knew before hand that the weather could be decidedly "iffy" prior to going, but the prices for cruising to Alaska in September were way better than cruising at peak season so that was the decider for us.

Saying that, our first trip was 2007 and we had fantastic weather after the first two days. We missed doing the Hubbard Glacier and Sitka but instead the ship docked in Wrangell and did Tracy Arm Fjord so all was not lost.

Last year we did Princess so hit Glacier Bay, it was very overcast and rainy though we still got up close to the Glaciers. The driest day of the whole week was in Ketchikan, which is supposedly the rainest place in North America lol.

Personally I dont care to much about lots of sun etc etc. There are so many things to be done in Alaska, tours etc. that the weather will fade into the background as something you dont really think about because you will be rushing around on excursions.

Pete

I have been twice in September, both times they were the last cruises of the season, once with RCI and last year with Princess.

I knew before hand that the weather could be decidedly "iffy" prior to going, but the prices for cruising to Alaska in September were way better than cruising at peak season so that was the decider for us.

Saying that, our first trip was 2007 and we had fantastic weather after the first two days. We missed doing the Hubbard Glacier and Sitka but instead the ship docked in Wrangell and did Tracy Arm Fjord so all was not lost.

Last year we did Princess so hit Glacier Bay, it was very overcast and rainy though we still got up close to the Glaciers. The driest day of the whole week was in Ketchikan, which is supposedly the rainest place in North America lol.

Personally I dont care to much about lots of sun etc etc. There are so many things to be done in Alaska, tours etc. that the weather will fade into the background as something you dont really think about because you will be rushing around on excursions.

Pete

This makes me feel somewhat better about our September 6, 2014 cruise. September is the only time we can go and I am hoping that we are not too late in the season, both for weather (which I realize is always a roll of the dice) and for "tourist fatigue" from everyone on shore. We are very excited about our first Alaska cruise!

This makes me feel somewhat better about our September 6, 2014 cruise. September is the only time we can go and I am hoping that we are not too late in the season, both for weather (which I realize is always a roll of the dice) and for "tourist fatigue" from everyone on shore. We are very excited about our first Alaska cruise!

We are heading there the middle of Sept 2014 - the time was right and the price was too. We have a whole family group going - can't wait!!

My sister, her husband and I will be doing the Sept 6,2014 Jewel and I can't wait!

We live in the Puget Sound region of Seattle, and over the years we have cruised to Alaska from mid-May to late August, out of both Seattle and Vancouver. We have also cruised to Hawaii in late September from Vancouver. (That was a bumpy ride on the way out). For Alaska, I like late May, all of June, all of July, and early to mid August because of better weather, more daylight, and more animal sightings in general. (Based on my personal experience and preferences only. YMMV.) Fares are less expensive before the end of June, generally speaking.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't cruise to Alaska beyond the first week in September. Maybe the second week, tops. In the latter part of September, the hours of daylight are much shorter, and there's a greater chance of missed ports due to stormy weather. There's a reason those late September cruises are so cheap.

We just sailed on NCL Pearl from Sept. 8-15, 2013. We had wonderful weather. No issues what so ever. We are from South Florida so the weather for us was perfect, upper 50's and 60's. We booked based on the price and were very happy with our choice. No regrets.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We wet 9/14-9/21 and had to miss two ports for stormy weather. Most of the ship was sick a lot of the day Thursday despite patches and Dramamine. I ate dinner by myself in the pool area tables. Not just no companions, nobody at any other table. Everywhere was quite deserted.

We took the risk because we had no idea how miserable a stormy cruise could be or how bored we'd be being "at sea" for so long (basically Tues evening until Sat morning, though part of the time was Glacier Bay). We saved $100 over the late August sailing that was also available when we booked, and it was NOT worth it, animals or not.

If you are going to go in May then I would focus on later in the month. Early May can bring cool wet days and very early can mean that not everything is open yet. If it's September then I would prefer to go earlier in the month than later...while there are no guarantees with Alaskan weather, it has been my experience that earlier is better than later.

We wet 9/14-9/21 and had to miss two ports for stormy weather. Most of the ship was sick a lot of the day Thursday despite patches and Dramamine. I ate dinner by myself in the pool area tables. Not just no companions, nobody at any other table. Everywhere was quite deserted.

We took the risk because we had no idea how miserable a stormy cruise could be or how bored we'd be being "at sea" for so long (basically Tues evening until Sat morning, though part of the time was Glacier Bay). We saved $100 over the late August sailing that was also available when we booked, and it was NOT worth it, animals or not.

Thank you for "reporting". :) There are many, single reports of "great" weather, but like it of not, over MANY years- the Sept timeframe DOES have more potential for just what you describe.

I used to pick up these cruises frequently as "extra" sailings, when they were given' away. I'm taking $199/299 rates, I've done this 6/7 times, but ALWAYS, my earlier trips the same year, were superior. Add to my dismay- my priority for scenic sailing, which is negatively impacted by the 7pm dusk timeframe. Those rates are long gone, and the differences aren't significant enough for me to consider it much currently. :)

This season, had incredible rates. I had no trouble picking up a B2B, $550++ rate on Princess Diamond in June. :)

Thank you for "reporting". :) There are many, single reports of "great" weather, but like it of not, over MANY years- the Sept timeframe DOES have more potential for just what you describe

Yes, I read many of these reports on cruisecritic, which is part of what convinced me the risk wasn't that great. We had never cruised before and figured we'd make the cruise the point of the trip and Alaska the bonus (we live near Seattle, so that's why we picked Alaska) and choose not to be disappointed by missing ports.

Being seasick is one of those types of sick where first you think you're going to die and then you just hope you do to make it stop. And if you aren't sick, and if you don't enjoy srinking and gambling and shopping and *cheesy* games, there's not a whole lot to so but eat and read and attempt to look out the window at the gloom. Don't get me wrong, we still made the best of it but it would have been worth the extra $100pp to avoid the risk.

the lovely mrs b-d and i chose to be married the first week of september 1000 or so years ago in Petersburg as we thought it provided more available experiences for those that came a week early or stayed a week after.

of course, our scheduled honeymoon at a cabin on a high alpine lake was canceled due to fog............. but taking the ferry to Sitka got us away from the relatives.

Archived