New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

Will have to admit I wore blue jeans, polo shirt and black Asics shoes in the GDR on Nautica once, pehaps twice at lunch. But I felt decently dressed for the occasion and noted other guys similarly dressed. None of the dining room staff seemed concerned. Would never consider such dress at dinner in GDR and/or SRs. Dinner in Terrace would depend on the situation or party theme.

ORV: I've got a small bifold Tumi wallet for front pocket carry. But for shore use, think I'm going to order the inside the pant top clip wallet. Seems an excellent solution to the light finger brigade. May also look at the small over the shoulder purse from Pacsafe with the long strap.

JMBobB

After our our last cruise the behavior of a great many passengers was shocking. It was the norm to be have elevators flooded before anyone had a chance to get off, people were constantly bumping and pushing one another without an apology or a gesture of one. One afternoon a man on Waves upset with his lunch threw his hamberger at the waiter! People continually cut in front of lines to the point I felt like I was back in grade school. I came to the defense of our housekeeper when a man was yelling at her because our port was cancelled due to bad weather.

Those are people without any manners plain & simple

If we did not use our manners at home my Grandmother would ask if we were raised in the barn ;)

But I agree a REQUEST is a polite way of saying do not do that

Seems in this day you have to be very specific & just say NOT ALLOWED instead of requesting something

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I must say since starting this thread, responses have been interesting.

If Oceania, acting as host, "requests" their passengers, as their guest to do something, I would hope they would do it. It's a matter of respect and good manners. Sometimes people forget despite whatever money they have spent to be onboard, they are still visitors in Oceania's "house".

For example, when a person rents a vacation house and the owner "requests" them to do or no do certain things, they honor those requests as a good renter.

After our our last cruise the behavior of a great many passengers was shocking. It was the norm to be have elevators flooded before anyone had a chance to get off, people were constantly bumping and pushing one another without an apology or a gesture of one. One afternoon a man on Waves upset with his lunch threw his hamberger at the waiter! People continually cut in front of lines to the point I felt like I was back in grade school. I came to the defense of our housekeeper when a man was yelling at her because our port was cancelled due to bad weather. This was on the penthouse level. (Class has no monetary distinction.) What could she do about it? Worst of all, on our last day, riding a shuttle to the airport, one man exploded to the Oceania representative about the manner his luggage was being handled. A fellow passanger intervened and told the man to calm down and act like a human being. He then turned to the respresentative who was visably upset and told her to ignore the man who yelled at her as he was a bully.

Sadly, some people may be taking the notion of "your world your way" to a new level and believe they can disrespect staff and passengers as well other "requests". I pray I'm wrong and our past experience doesn't repeat itself.

Am I glad I wasn't on your cruise. You always come across rude, pushy and agressive people but I never seen anything like that.

Will have to admit I wore blue jeans, polo shirt and black Asics shoes in the GDR on Nautica once, pehaps twice at lunch. But I felt decently dressed for the occasion and noted other guys similarly dressed. None of the dining room staff seemed concerned. Would never consider such dress at dinner in GDR and/or SRs. Dinner in Terrace would depend on the situation or party theme.

ORV: I've got a small bifold Tumi wallet for front pocket carry. But for shore use, think I'm going to order the inside the pant top clip wallet. Seems an excellent solution to the light finger brigade. May also look at the small over the shoulder purse from Pacsafe with the long strap.

JMBobB

He puts his money in his socks!!!! ;):D LuAnn

I agree

It is a slippery slope

next it will be sweat suits in the dining venues at dinner :eek:

You aint seen nothing yet. No joke. A couple of years ago we stayed at a resort on the Great Barrier Reef. The restaurant had an evening dress code, which included no jeans, shorts, flip flops etc.

We saw so many jeans and shorts etc. that it wasn't worth it to complain.

The straw that broke the camels back was when a family of 4 had 3 members dressed in wetsuits...for dinner!! We duly complained and saw the maître d speak to the family. Things did improve the next night. Only the 2 boys wore wet suits.

We received our upcoming Panama Cruise documents last week, which included the phrase "Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Polo Grill and Toscana." Pretty clear.

My interpretation of the website wording "We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner" is that jeans, shorts, t-shirts and sandals are permitted.

So, I just called Oceania for clarification. Customer Service informed me that the policy for the GDR and Specialty Restaurants changed (September 4, I think) to allow designer jeans.....but not casual jeans. Shorts, t-shirts etc. still not permitted. So the wording in our cruise documents reflects the new policy.

CS agreed with my suggestion that the wording on the website be changed to include the not permitted words. She promised to pass the message along.

Tuchik

PS I guess the wetsuits were in case they fell down that slippery slope

You always come across rude, pushy and aggressive people but I never seen anything like that.

I certainly second that emotion! We've never encountered rudeness or unpleasantness on any level on any Oceania Cruise, ever.

In fact. I'd have to say that the warmth, friendliness and good nature of our fellow passengers has been one of the primary reasons for our choosing Oceania since our very first cruise with them in '05.

Then again, as mother always said, "Good manners are catching". :D

If Oceania, acting as host, "requests" their passengers, as their guest to do something, I would hope they would do it. It's a matter of respect and good manners. Sometimes people forget despite whatever money they have spent to be onboard, they are still visitors in Oceania's "house".

For example, when a person rents a vacation house and the owner "requests" them to do or no do certain things, they honor those requests as a good renter.

After our our last cruise the behavior of a great many passengers was shocking. It was the norm to be have elevators flooded before anyone had a chance to get off, people were constantly bumping and pushing one another without an apology or a gesture of one. One afternoon a man on Waves upset with his lunch threw his hamberger at the waiter! People continually cut in front of lines to the point I felt like I was back in grade school. I came to the defense of our housekeeper when a man was yelling at her because our port was cancelled due to bad weather. This was on the penthouse level. (Class has no monetary distinction.) What could she do about it? Worst of all, on our last day, riding a shuttle to the airport, one man exploded to the Oceania representative about the manner his luggage was being handled. A fellow passanger intervened and told the man to calm down and act like a human being. He then turned to the respresentative who was visably upset and told her to ignore the man who yelled at her as he was a bully.

Sadly, some people may be taking the notion of "your world your way" to a new level and believe they can disrespect staff and passengers as well other "requests". I pray I'm wrong and our past experience doesn't repeat itself.

Gosh, I wonder if you were on our O cruise - we encountered much the same rude behaviour from some. We were also quite taken aback as we really did not expect this. Not O's fault at all, but goodness knows what the staff think of people like this. Mind you, I think sometimes the staff are quite shocked when you actually have the manners to treat them like fellow human beings and use those words that were amongst the first you were ever taught "please" and "thank you". I am always amazed at how many have forgotten them. And good manners should be catching, but sadly some don't actually realise, or care, that they are being so rude.

Tuchik - you must have received a more recent print run of the cruise docs brochure, ours (received 2 weeks ago) still says "jeans", not "casual jeans".

Anyway it's still all pants to me! :eek:

So, I just called Oceania for clarification. Customer Service informed me that the policy for the GDR and Specialty Restaurants changed (September 4, I think) to allow designer jeans.....but not casual jeans. Shorts, t-shirts etc. still not permitted. So the wording in our cruise documents reflects the new policy.

So that brings up the next question

Do the Maitre'D s have a list of acceptable designer jeans that are allowed in the dining venues

Designer jeans come in all colours & styles who decides what ones are acceptable

We are still no further enlightened

Then again, as mother always said, "Good manners are catching". :D

Sadly, this was more true in your mother's days - no longer the case. It seems that many people have developed "immunity" to this and are not "catching" good manners any more. :(

This all sounds pretty ghastly, and I agree that "requests" should be honoured, but I can't see what all this bad behaviour has to do with wearing jeans/

Isn't everybody sick of this of this dress code discussion already? I personally am not interested in "definitions" of certain kinds of dress or items of clothing. I consider myself a bright woman, who has the good fortune of going on about five cruises a year, and know very well how, when and where to dress and what is appropriate. We do not do formal nor does husband bring a jacket. Our mode of dress has never gotten us thrown out of nor refused admittance to any dining room or speciality restaurant on Oceania, Celebrity, Princess or HAL. Would we past muster on Cunard or Crystal - no, and that's why we do not choose to sail with them. Oceania is my line of choice if the itinerary is right. As I have said before, their culture and itineraries suit us to a tee, and I know they appreciate our business and as returning guests. Times they are a changing (as they always do), and there is no changing that. Sometimes we have to ease up on old ideas that are just no longer current. What a pleasure to be able to dress casual or dressed to the nines and both be welcome on Oceania. And guess what - our food will all taste the same.

Isn't everybody sick of this of this dress code discussion already? I personally am not interested in "definitions" of certain kinds of dress or items of clothing. I consider myself a bright woman, who has the good fortune of going on about five cruises a year, and know very well how, when and where to dress and what is appropriate. We do not do formal nor does husband bring a jacket. Our mode of dress has never gotten us thrown out of nor refused admittance to any dining room or speciality restaurant on Oceania, Celebrity, Princess or HAL. Would we past muster on Cunard or Crystal - no, and that's why we do not choose to sail with them. Oceania is my line of choice if the itinerary is right. As I have said before, their culture and itineraries suit us to a tee, and I know they appreciate our business and as returning guests. Times they are a changing (as they always do), and there is no changing that. Sometimes we have to ease up on old ideas that are just no longer current. What a pleasure to be able to dress casual or dressed to the nines and both be welcome on Oceania. And guess what - our food will all taste the same.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!:D

I do not disagree with the last two posts but feel that there are people reading this thread that are confused by the dress code as it seems to be in a state of flux. And, there are always people who are considering a cruise on Oceania or may even be booked on their first cruise. Much of this information is of interest to them (and possibly to Oceania executives who may not realize that "designer jeans" have different looks). Hopefully people who do not need this information won't bother reading the thread:)

The new language is no casual jeans. The opposite of casual jeans is not designer jeans, it is dress jeans. And yes, there is such a thing. It has nothing to do with price, but with cut, style and the denim wash (color).

As other posters have said, here in our area at the finest restaurants, we see people dressed for dinner with jeans as part of their ensemble. Many ladies wear jeans with heels and dressy tops. We often see jeans worn at weddings. It is part of today's culture, and a growing trend.

Just last week Sir Ian McKellan was interviewed on TV wearing a lovely pair of dark wash slightly waxed (the new style) jeans, paired with a velvet tuxedo cut jacket and dress shirt. The man looked positively elegant, and is 74.

Personally, we won't be wearing jeans on our cruise, as jeans are not part of our packing strategy in packing light, and not our usual going out to dinner attire, but I'm fine with other folks wearing an attractive pair of jeans to dinner.

The new language is no casual jeans. The opposite of casual jeans is not designer jeans, it is dress jeans. And yes, there is such a thing. It has nothing to do with price, but with cut, style and the denim wash (color).

As other posters have said, here in our area at the finest restaurants, we see people dressed for dinner with jeans as part of their ensemble. Many ladies wear jeans with heels and dressy tops. We often see jeans worn at weddings. It is part of today's culture, and a growing trend.

Just last week Sir Ian McKellan was interviewed on TV wearing a lovely pair of dark wash slightly waxed (the new style) jeans, paired with a velvet tuxedo cut jacket and dress shirt. The man looked positively elegant, and is 74.

Personally, we won't be wearing jeans on our cruise, as jeans are not part of our packing strategy in packing light, and not our usual going out to dinner attire, but I'm fine with other folks wearing an attractive pair of jeans to dinner.

Thank you for putting it better than I could. I guess I should have said dress jeans (and not designer) as opposed to casual (blue) jeans in my post.

I am OK with the former (though I do not own a pair of either type).

J, you know that term is going to start something on this board........just saying.

I am truly disappointed! Not trying to start anything...... some people will be happy -- some won't care -- and some will feel like I do. Feedback is not a bad thing IMHO.

I am truly disappointed! Not trying to start anything...... some people will be happy -- some won't care -- and some will feel like I do. Feedback is not a bad thing IMHO.

I wasn't referring to your disappointment or feedback starting something. I won't say anymore though.😉