New Meaning to "Country Club Casual"

Condocat

Every O cruise I've been on has had one or two couples who "stand out in a crowd" in a negative way. One cruise it was a groups' dress, another cruise they were often fairly inebriated and loud. Did any of these folks hurt anyone else? NO!

Can't we all just move on, here? Which of us hasn't had an off day, now and again - the day we didn't have time to fix our hair just right, or the week we were behind on laundry so had to wear something we'd worn before. There's an old saying about casting the first stone. An updated version of that goes "bark less, wag more." If we'd all try to live that way, life would be easier for us all.

Do you mean that you have to do your own "laundry "don't you have people for that sort of thing ?

I mean to say what's the world coming too?

Karl

I can assure you of the overalls and workboot attire. Not tidy at all. It was on my cruise this May, Venice to Athens. It was a family from Canada. We met them.

Did they wear them for the whole cruise???

We saw them more than once in relatively the same attire.

Maybe their luggage was lost

we did have a man on one cruise he wore the same sweatsuit everyday but for dinner he had on a polo shirt & dress pants that came from the shop onboard....after dinner he would go change back to his sweatsuit

Edited by LHT28

[quote name= It was a family from Canada. We met them.

Did if affect my meals, or or shore excursions, or my experience. Of course not, but I just thought to myself, just as if I saw them at a wedding or function dressed this way... "is that really the best they can do"?[/quote]

Hahahaha. It must be something in the air up here the Northwoods. A year ago we attended a wedding where one side wore cut offs, jeans, tank tops, workbooks and yes, some plaid shirts. They likely would have dressed better to buy groceries. I keep thinking it was a bad dream.....that I was really shopping at Walmart and was lost in someone's email. ;-)

Now I will tell you our dress code violation. On our very first cruise I bought dress shorts for DH to wear. You have to understand this is man who rarely wears shorts and NEVER on the golf course. What was I thinking???? I knew, or thought I knew, that shorts are worn with jackets in Southern climes, or they used to be. Anyway we dressed for dinner ( no jacket) and he got sent back to the room to change. Poor man has never left our property in shorts since. I think he is still traumatized. ;-). It makes a good story and always gets a chuckle.

Our most recent cruise was last March and at that time there had been no changes and we saw no jeans designer or otherwise in the evening except in the Terrace. On one of our past cruises there was a breakfast where people were encouraged to come in their pyjamas. :-O. Thank goodness it was only the once.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I hate to bring the discussion back to the original topic, but reading some of the early comments on this thread threw me a little. There are people complaining about men who don't "tuck their shirts in". There are many shirts made that are meant to be worn out (i.e. Tommy Bahama shirts). These shirts, worn over a nice pair of pants, are very definitely considered "country club casual" and my husband wore them on our last Oceania cruise without so much as a pained look from anyone. In fact, many men wore them (on a Caribbean cruise) and no one's head spun around in horror at the sight of them ... even though, to be honest, our Butler told us he should tuck it in. I assumed he didn't understand the fashion..."

Your butler had the nerve to tell you how to dress? Is this normal on Oceania?

I .

even though, to be honest, our Butler told us he should tuck it in. I assumed he didn't understand the fashion..."

Your butler had the nerve to tell you how to dress? Is this normal on Oceania?

Sorry, that's really hard to believe. We have had a butler on every cruise on Oceania and none of them would have EVER commented on what anyone was wearing. :confused::confused:

It was a family from Canada. We met them.

Oh, well, that explains it. LOL

I was jes sayin' to DH, "DH (that's what I calls him), you better get yerself a new pair of overalls for this cruise cumin up. Oceania's a real class act. Maybe a fine new pair of workboots, too and one of those red and black checked shirts. Hooo Eee, won't you look right fine."

I was jes sayin' to DH, "DH (that's what I calls him), you better get yerself a new pair of overalls for this cruise cumin up. Oceania's a real class act. Maybe a fine new pair of workboots, too and one of those red and black checked shirts. Hooo Eee, won't you look right fine."

LOL :D:D

Guess all us northerners better check our wardrobes so people will know

WE ARE CANADIAN

;)

Kathy, CA may be the short form of your state, but ".ca" means Canada. Not sure what it mastters.

LOL :D:D

Guess all us northerners better check our wardrobes so people will know

WE ARE CANADIAN

;)

Yes. I'm going to have to shake all the hay out of my clothes I guess. And no mukluks or mocassins either.

Go for it! Don't forget a ballcap or two.

BTW, I think one of the reasons I don't particularly care for Tommy Bahama (beyond the outrageous price), is precisely because they are designed not to be tucked in. I know guys, that's a very comfortable look I'm sure, but I personally just don't care for it (despite my husband doing it at tims.)

Maybe that dreadful butler "had the nerve" not to polish them? :D

We have told the butler time and time again not to polish the work boots. This is how they end up looking. Who would want to attend the captain's cocktail party with boots that looked like this?

history-boots.jpg

Just to show you how nice overalls can look, this is DH on formal night of our last cruise:

overalls_1.jpg

Don't he clean up right fine? LOL

This is serious competition to J&S :D

Or IS this J or S? Which one of you is it? :eek:

"Black Tie" - we'd expect no less from you...

C'mon Guys, 'fess up!

Geezer Couple